MLB POST SEASON 2018

Everything else!

Moderators: Bakhtosh, EvilHomer3k

El Guapo

Re: MLB POST SEASON 2018

Post by El Guapo »

noxiousdog wrote: Thu Oct 18, 2018 10:21 am
El Guapo wrote: Thu Oct 18, 2018 10:20 am I bet that Astros security guard (I'm assuming he's on the Astros payroll) is taking some shit today.
Probably, but he was doing his job. He needed to make sure the fans didn't get too agressive with the wall, Betts, or each other.
Oh, I agree, but still.
Black Lives Matter.
Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

El Guapo wrote: Thu Oct 18, 2018 10:14 amThe potential trick is that if you do allow fan interference calls where the fielder's glove is outside the field of play, that's probably a harder rule to apply. You can't expect a fan in the first row to get out of the way of a fielder in order to let them make the call. But if the fan being in the way (without moving) is not interference, then it seems like you'd have to make some judgment about whether the fan was 'intentionally' interfering, or 'unreasonably' interfering, or something like that.
Agreed. There's always some subjectivity (even with this play, where none of us knows with certainty whether the glove was in the field of play or not--including the umpiring crew after review as evidenced by the 'call stands' vs 'call confirmed' result.

I'd just like to see it be a bit more in the ump's discretion--for example, in this case even if Betts is 100% over the wall and in the fan's lap, if the play happens otherwise as it did last night--glove clearly in place to make the catch, fan closes glove, ball bounces off glove--I'd like to see that be something the ump could rule an out.

After all, isn't baseball the sport where we advocate for the umpires to have lots of subjective purview (we still let them call balls and strikes even though they're objectively worse at it than electronic means)?
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

Zaxxon wrote: Thu Oct 18, 2018 10:31 am
El Guapo wrote: Thu Oct 18, 2018 10:14 amThe potential trick is that if you do allow fan interference calls where the fielder's glove is outside the field of play, that's probably a harder rule to apply. You can't expect a fan in the first row to get out of the way of a fielder in order to let them make the call. But if the fan being in the way (without moving) is not interference, then it seems like you'd have to make some judgment about whether the fan was 'intentionally' interfering, or 'unreasonably' interfering, or something like that.
Agreed. There's always some subjectivity (even with this play, where none of us knows with certainty whether the glove was in the field of play or not--including the umpiring crew after review as evidenced by the 'call stands' vs 'call confirmed' result.

I'd just like to see it be a bit more in the ump's discretion--for example, in this case even if Betts is 100% over the wall and in the fan's lap, if the play happens otherwise as it did last night--glove clearly in place to make the catch, fan closes glove, ball bounces off glove--I'd like to see that be something the ump could rule an out.

After all, isn't baseball the sport where we advocate for the umpires to have lots of subjective purview (we still let them call balls and strikes even though they're objectively worse at it than electronic means)?
That's fair, although I am increasingly in favor of just doing balls-and-strikes via electronic means, as long as the technology works.

On another note - Is Verlander to the Astros the best deadline deal of all time?
Spoiler:
Yes
Black Lives Matter.
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

FWIW, not to channel stessier here or anything, but I do think the Astros (while its an uphill fight) have a decent chance of still pulling it out despite being down 3-1. They just need to get past David Price on short rest, then a gimpy Chris Sale (or subpar starter / reliever core TBD), and then win a game 7.

Not easy, but not insurmountable.
Black Lives Matter.
Pyperkub

Post by Pyperkub »

El Guapo wrote: Thu Oct 18, 2018 10:37 am
Zaxxon wrote: Thu Oct 18, 2018 10:31 am

That's fair, although I am increasingly in favor of just doing balls-and-strikes via electronic means, as long as the technology works.

On another note - Is Verlander to the Astros the best deadline deal of all time?
Spoiler:
Yes
As a Giants fan, the Fred McGriff trade in '93 sticks out as larger. Braves were 53-41 prior to the trade and went 51-17 after to win 104 games, and climbed back from 8 games back to win the division (when there were no Wild Cards) on the last day of the season. Even if they didn't make the World Series that year, there were no Wild Cards and he really jumpstarted that team.
Black Lives definitely Matter Lorini!

Also: There are three ways to not tell the truth: lies, damned lies, and statistics.
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

El Guapo wrote: Thu Oct 18, 2018 10:37 am On another note - Is Verlander to the Astros the best deadline deal of all time?
Spoiler:
Yes
I'd argue against this but
Not only that, but they got the Tigers to retain some of Verlander’s salary,
It has long since been my opinion that signing Verlander, Carera, and V Martinez to the extensions they did when they window for success was already but closed was a mistake. I'd still fear that Verlander is going to blow out his arm even though he has been adapting. His salary for what he was going to do for a declining team was still just way out of reach. So getting rid of him was the way it should be. Good for him and good for Astros but the greatest deal, with that salary? Not so much.... What that salary... no, wait, let's let the Tigers eat nearly 10 million a year? Yeah, that's a fricken deal.
stessier

Post by stessier »

El Guapo wrote: Thu Oct 18, 2018 3:53 pm FWIW, not to channel stessier here or anything, but I do think the Astros (while its an uphill fight) have a decent chance of still pulling it out despite being down 3-1. They just need to get past David Price on short rest, then a gimpy Chris Sale (or subpar starter / reliever core TBD), and then win a game 7.

I mean, the David Price part is pretty easy.
I require a reminder as to why raining arcane destruction is not an appropriate response to all of life's indignities. - Vaarsuvius
Global Steam Wishmaslist Tracking
Running____2014: 1300.55 miles____2015: 2036.13 miles____2016: 1012.75 miles____2017: 1105.82 miles____2018: 1318.91 miles__2019: 2000.00 miles
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

stessier wrote: Thu Oct 18, 2018 4:46 pm
El Guapo wrote: Thu Oct 18, 2018 3:53 pm FWIW, not to channel stessier here or anything, but I do think the Astros (while its an uphill fight) have a decent chance of still pulling it out despite being down 3-1. They just need to get past David Price on short rest, then a gimpy Chris Sale (or subpar starter / reliever core TBD), and then win a game 7.

I mean, the David Price part is pretty easy.
Yeah, and unless Sale is more healthy than I suspect, either him or starter TBD is far from insurmountable either.

The main hurdles for the Astros are that the Red Sox really just need one of a strong performance from Eovadli, a surprising performance from either Price or Sale, OR one night where the Red Sox offense goes off in order to advance. One of those is *probably* going to happen over the next three games, but it's far from a done deal.
Black Lives Matter.
Pyperkub

Post by Pyperkub »

Yeah, the 8 runs a game the Sox are putting up lately has to be concerning.

Also: There are three ways to not tell the truth: lies, damned lies, and statistics.
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

Well, they're only at 4 so far.

Hell of an outing by Price. He pitched well in the second half, but still...pretty surprising, especially on short rest.
Black Lives Matter.
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

There's no way that Kimbrel comes out for the 9th...right?
Black Lives Matter.
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

WTF
Black Lives Matter.
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

Black Lives Matter.
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

This is just baffling. Kimbrel gets one out, then a four pitch walk, and now there are two relievers up in the bullpen. Why the hell bring Kimbrel in if you're going to get skittish over him from one baserunner?
Black Lives Matter.
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

I always believed in you, Kimbrel.

On to the World Series!
Black Lives Matter.
Jaymann

Post by Jaymann »

Congrats, especially with Price over Verlander!
Jaymann
]==(:::::::::::::>
Black Lives Matter
Baroquen

Post by Baroquen »

Congrats OO Boston fans! Quite an achievement to reach the WS. Enjoy the ride!
Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

Congrats, Sox fans. I will be pleased whether your team demolishes the Dodgers or Brewers.
Scuzz

Post by Scuzz »

El Guapo wrote: Thu Oct 18, 2018 11:46 pm I always believed in you, Kimbrel.

On to the World Series!
:lol:

It is hard to be a fan.
Black Lives Matter
DD*

Post by DD* »

Congrats to the bean town contingent. While I would have liked to see JV have another shot, the Sox played a solid series.
Are you a prostitute Rip? Because you blow the margins more than a $5 hooker. -rshetts2

Much like bravery is acting in spite of fear, being a functioning adult is acting responsibly in the face of temptation. -Isg
stessier

Post by stessier »

Well I'll be.

Rooting against Roberts in a World Series would be kind of weird.
I require a reminder as to why raining arcane destruction is not an appropriate response to all of life's indignities. - Vaarsuvius
Global Steam Wishmaslist Tracking
Running____2014: 1300.55 miles____2015: 2036.13 miles____2016: 1012.75 miles____2017: 1105.82 miles____2018: 1318.91 miles__2019: 2000.00 miles
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

Scuzz wrote: Fri Oct 19, 2018 12:40 am
El Guapo wrote: Thu Oct 18, 2018 11:46 pm I always believed in you, Kimbrel.

On to the World Series!
:lol:

It is hard to be a fan.
I still don't know what to make of Kimbrel pitching in that game, after going two innings last night and being a borderline dumpster-fire all playoffs. He did do well last night (best performance of the playoffs), although even then had a four pitch walk, and the final out was a long fly ball that could have been a home run but for being hit to one of the deeper parts of the ballpark. Maybe the thinking was to get him more work to try to get him out of his funk so he'll be useful for the World Series, I dunno.

Also interesting was that Price, in his post-game interview, said that during his bullpen session at the end of game 4, "something clicked", and that was part of why he was so much better last night than in his previous starts in these playoffs. Hopefully that keeps going forward.

ALSO - last night was Alex Cora's birthday. That's a pretty good birthday, I would say.
Black Lives Matter.
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

I still can't wrap my head around the Red Sox not only winning the ALCS, but beating the Astros in 5, including 4 in a row (and 3 in a row in Houston). The Red Sox are very good, obviously, but that Astros roster is pretty terrifying.
Black Lives Matter.
noxiousdog

Post by noxiousdog »

Congrats. Very deserving game 5 win. Price was fantastic.
Black Lives Matter

"To wield Grond, the mighty hammer of the Federal Government, is to be intoxicated with power beyond what you and I can reckon (though I figure we can ball park it pretty good with computers and maths). Need to tunnel through a mountain? Grond. Kill a mighty ogre? Grond. Hangnail? Grond. Spider? Grond (actually, that's a legit use, moreso than the rest)." - Peacedog
Lorini

Post by Lorini »

So now the Brewers are saying the Dodgers are videotaping their signs. The Dodgers are hitting .233 in the NLCS with runners in scoring position. Color me doubtful ( well brown AND doubtful :D )
Black Lives Matter
Pyperkub

Post by Pyperkub »

El Guapo wrote: Fri Oct 19, 2018 10:04 am I still can't wrap my head around the Red Sox not only winning the ALCS, but beating the Astros in 5, including 4 in a row (and 3 in a row in Houston). The Red Sox are very good, obviously, but that Astros roster is pretty terrifying.
Somewhat dinged up too, AFAIK. Still a nice win.

Eel Snave

Post by Eel Snave »

Brewers in 7.
Downwards Compatible
We're playing every NES game alphabetically! Even the crappy ones! Send help!
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

Lorini wrote: Fri Oct 19, 2018 11:39 am So now the Brewers are saying the Dodgers are videotaping their signs. The Dodgers are hitting .233 in the NLCS with runners in scoring position. Color me doubtful ( well brown AND doubtful :D )
I think Verlander's right that pitchers should just wear earpieces, and they should do away with signs.
Black Lives Matter.
Lorini

Post by Lorini »

El Guapo wrote: Fri Oct 19, 2018 1:14 pm
Lorini wrote: Fri Oct 19, 2018 11:39 am So now the Brewers are saying the Dodgers are videotaping their signs. The Dodgers are hitting .233 in the NLCS with runners in scoring position. Color me doubtful ( well brown AND doubtful :D )
I think Verlander's right that pitchers should just wear earpieces, and they should do away with signs.
Absolutely. Signs are dumb in my opinion.
Black Lives Matter
Lorini

Post by Lorini »

Eel Snave wrote: Fri Oct 19, 2018 12:38 pm Brewers in 7.
If the Dodgers don’t win tonight then agree. This is their best opportunity. I cringe a little at the thought of starting Kershaw on short rest in a game 7.
Black Lives Matter
Scuzz

Post by Scuzz »

I just saw that headline and yea, my first thought was that if they are stealing signs they are doing a pretty crappy job taking advantage of it.
Black Lives Matter
Scuzz

Post by Scuzz »

El Guapo wrote: Fri Oct 19, 2018 1:14 pm
And many teams have a manager or someone on the bench calling the pitches anyway. Might as well wire the pitcher and catcher. Problem is how does a catcher call the pitch to the pitcher with a batter standing a few feet away. Do they use some rare Native American language?
Black Lives Matter
Lorini

Post by Lorini »

Code words, much harder to interpret on the fly than signs.
Black Lives Matter
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Lorini wrote: Fri Oct 19, 2018 3:42 pm Code words, much harder to interpret on the fly than signs.
It's almost as if people are the problem.
Lorini

Post by Lorini »

Not sure if Omaha will do it. Might need Omaha AND Nebraska.
Black Lives Matter
Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

Don't forget Green 18!
Scuzz

Post by Scuzz »

Lorini wrote: Fri Oct 19, 2018 3:42 pm Code words, much harder to interpret on the fly than signs.
The problem is audible code words would be pretty easy for the other team to figure out. You might as well just say "fastball".
Black Lives Matter
Lorini

Post by Lorini »

Scuzz wrote: Fri Oct 19, 2018 4:43 pm
The problem is audible code words would be pretty easy for the other team to figure out. You might as well just say "fastball".
Would think it'd be easier to change them in the dugout. They wouldn't have to be nearly as complicated as signs. Omaha=fastball up, Nebraska=fastball down, Texas=slider, Cali=change up, New York =breaking ball
Then next inning it's colors. Pink =fastball up, Red=slider, etc
Shouldn't be that difficult
Black Lives Matter
Scuzz

Post by Scuzz »

Lorini wrote: Fri Oct 19, 2018 6:19 pm
Scuzz wrote: Fri Oct 19, 2018 4:43 pm
Would think it'd be easier to change them in the dugout. They wouldn't have to be nearly as complicated as signs. Omaha=fastball up, Nebraska=fastball down, Texas=slider, Cali=change up, New York =breaking ball
Then next inning it's colors. Pink =fastball up, Red=slider, etc
Shouldn't be that difficult
What does a pitcher do if he disagrees?

I do think the game is going to a point where all pitches are called in the dugout though. Colleges pretty much do that now.
Black Lives Matter
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

I like how this one is getting started.
It's almost as if people are the problem.