Everything else!

Moderators: Bakhtosh, EvilHomer3k

Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Re: MLB POST SEASON 2018

Post by Zaxxon »

Lorini wrote:
Zaxxon wrote: Wed Oct 17, 2018 7:03 pm
Lorini wrote:Ok so next season the Dodgers start Kershaw every single outing. Every one. Four outings he makes one pitch. Fifth outing he stays in the game. You guys have no problem with that. Really?
If they want to burn a roster spot, sure.
? No he can’t enter the game again but he wouldn’t anyway. Please explain how that’s using a meaningful roster slot.
You never know when a game's gonna go 18 innings...
noxiousdog

Post by noxiousdog »

Jaymann wrote: Wed Oct 17, 2018 9:14 pm Wow, that was the anti-Bartman call.
I think it was in the stands, and of course the security guard was in the way of the camera.

Joe West made a bad call in game 1 also when he went to the replay on a non-replay call. (though it clearly should have been overturned.)
Black Lives Matter

"To wield Grond, the mighty hammer of the Federal Government, is to be intoxicated with power beyond what you and I can reckon (though I figure we can ball park it pretty good with computers and maths). Need to tunnel through a mountain? Grond. Kill a mighty ogre? Grond. Hangnail? Grond. Spider? Grond (actually, that's a legit use, moreso than the rest)." - Peacedog
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

noxiousdog wrote: Wed Oct 17, 2018 9:57 pm
I think it was in the stands, and of course the security guard was in the way of the camera.

Joe West made a bad call in game 1 also when he went to the replay on a non-replay call. (though it clearly should have been overturned.)
So if I understand this correctly, if the ball is landing out of play, it's legally impossible (rules-wise) for a fan to interfere? So even if the fielder is going to catch it (reaching over the fence), the fan can swat it away?

One other question - as you say the relevant camera was blocked by the security guard, but say Mookie Bett's glove was directly above the fence (above the yellow stripe). Is it interference in the fan gets in the way then?
Black Lives Matter.
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

Fortunately for Houston, though, Porcello's been pretty shitty tonight. I wonder if his 8th inning relief in game 2 is an issue? Don't expect him to be back out for the 4th.
Black Lives Matter.
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

Oof, the Astros definitely got screwed on that foul tip call on the JBJ at bat. Really didn't look like he foul tipped it (though maybe he *just* got it - maybe the ump heard it).
Black Lives Matter.
noxiousdog

Post by noxiousdog »

El Guapo wrote: Wed Oct 17, 2018 10:08 pm

So if I understand this correctly, if the ball is landing out of play, it's legally impossible (rules-wise) for a fan to interfere? So even if the fielder is going to catch it (reaching over the fence), the fan can swat it away?

One other question - as you say the relevant camera was blocked by the security guard, but say Mookie Bett's glove was directly above the fence (above the yellow stripe). Is it interference in the fan gets in the way then?
If it's over the fence then you can't have fan interference.

Also, look! Another call that goes Boston's way. Bradley Jr. didn't touch that ball (on the 0-2 count) and winds up walking.
Black Lives Matter

"To wield Grond, the mighty hammer of the Federal Government, is to be intoxicated with power beyond what you and I can reckon (though I figure we can ball park it pretty good with computers and maths). Need to tunnel through a mountain? Grond. Kill a mighty ogre? Grond. Hangnail? Grond. Spider? Grond (actually, that's a legit use, moreso than the rest)." - Peacedog
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

Dammit Cora, that's why I really didn't expect Porcello to go back out for the 4th. What the hell is he still doing in the game?
Black Lives Matter.
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

noxiousdog wrote: Wed Oct 17, 2018 10:17 pm

One other question - as you say the relevant camera was blocked by the security guard, but say Mookie Betts' glove was directly above the fence (above the yellow stripe). Is it interference in the fan gets in the way then?

Also, look! Another call that goes Boston's way. Bradley Jr. didn't touch that ball (on the 0-2 count) and winds up walking.
What about the second question - what if it's directly above the fence?

But yeah, almost no question about the foul tip call.
Black Lives Matter.
Lorini

Post by Lorini »

Exodor wrote: Wed Oct 17, 2018 8:59 pm
Lorini wrote:Ok so next season the Dodgers start Kershaw every single outing. Every one. Four outings he makes one pitch. Fifth outing he stays in the game. You guys have no problem with that. Really?
Of course not. Why would that be a problem?

Why do you think the Dodgers don't do that now?
Whatever, I'm outta here.
Black Lives Matter
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

Ugh, I'm going to have to fly to Houston to take Porcello out of the game myself.
Black Lives Matter.
noxiousdog

Post by noxiousdog »

El Guapo wrote: Wed Oct 17, 2018 10:25 pm
noxiousdog wrote: Wed Oct 17, 2018 10:17 pm

One other question - as you say the relevant camera was blocked by the security guard, but say Mookie Betts' glove was directly above the fence (above the yellow stripe). Is it interference in the fan gets in the way then?

What about the second question - what if it's directly above the fence?

But yeah, almost no question about the foul tip call.
Not interference. If it hits the top of the wall it's a home run and therefore out of play. That's why there's a yellow line which indicates a homer/non-homer.
Black Lives Matter

El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

Crazy. JBJ has three hits all ALCS, but has 9 RBIs off of those three hits.
Black Lives Matter.
noxiousdog

Post by noxiousdog »

Nothing makes me angrier than a bases loaded walk.
Black Lives Matter

El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

Ugh. Looks like this may be the game that Kimbrel finally blows. Bringing him in for the 8th is inexplicable.
Black Lives Matter.
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

Not yet, anyway. I'm praying that he doesn't come out for the 9th, although I know that he probably will.
Black Lives Matter.
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

Of course, if the alternative is Price for the 9th (which it seems to be)....not sure that's a huge improvement. Also really not sure who the game 5 starter would be then...Sale apparently isn't available, Eovaldi pitched yesterday. Maybe a reliever game?
Black Lives Matter.
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

Houston's defense is pretty good.
Black Lives Matter.
noxiousdog

Post by noxiousdog »

7 walks, 2 Hit by pitch, 2 wild pitches. And a guy thrown out at second for no reason (who would have scored).

And of course it's a two run game, Joe West.

Maddening.
Black Lives Matter

El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

BRING IN PRICE
Black Lives Matter.
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

I wonder if Kimbrel will walk Kemp or hit him with the pitch.
Black Lives Matter.
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

Walk it is. This is water torture.
Black Lives Matter.
noxiousdog

Post by noxiousdog »

Wow. Left him in for Bregman.
Black Lives Matter

El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

Holy shit. Thank god - amazing play by Benintendi.
Black Lives Matter.
noxiousdog

Post by noxiousdog »

What a waste.

The defense has been great to watch. Pitchers and catchers... not so much.
Black Lives Matter

El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

The only good explanation I can find for Cora continuing to rely heavily on Kimbrel is that Kimbrel has some special god that he worships that causes game winning hits to be directed into gloves.
Black Lives Matter.
Jaymann

Post by Jaymann »

El Guapo wrote: Thu Oct 18, 2018 1:07 am BRING IN PRICE
They should let Price get shelled for 35 runs against Verlander, then get serious for game 6.
Jaymann
]==(:::::::::::::>
Black Lives Matter
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

Jaymann wrote: Thu Oct 18, 2018 1:18 am
El Guapo wrote: Thu Oct 18, 2018 1:07 am BRING IN PRICE
They should let Price get shelled for 35 runs against Verlander, then get serious for game 6.
That's probably how that's going to go.
Black Lives Matter.
stessier

Post by stessier »

The replays make a reasonable case those fans were over the wall. The only way they weren't was if they had T-rex arms.
I require a reminder as to why raining arcane destruction is not an appropriate response to all of life's indignities. - Vaarsuvius
Global Steam Wishmaslist Tracking
Running____2014: 1300.55 miles____2015: 2036.13 miles____2016: 1012.75 miles____2017: 1105.82 miles____2018: 1318.91 miles__2019: 2000.00 miles
stessier

Post by stessier »

I can't find any vids of the alleged JBJ strike/foul tip.

Nice to be up 3-1. Never thought there would be this many runs scored in these games.

And I see Price getting the ball in Game 5 the same as Wakefield taking the ball in Game 3 in 2004 - just need an arm to soak up some innings and try and come back and win the next day.
I require a reminder as to why raining arcane destruction is not an appropriate response to all of life's indignities. - Vaarsuvius
Running____2014: 1300.55 miles____2015: 2036.13 miles____2016: 1012.75 miles____2017: 1105.82 miles____2018: 1318.91 miles__2019: 2000.00 miles
stessier

Post by stessier »

Lorini wrote: Wed Oct 17, 2018 10:25 pm

So assuming it was actually a problem, how would you legislate against it? The starting pitcher just has to feign an injury (elbow soreness for example) and leave after one batter. You get the MRI, it's declared not a problem, and he starts in 3 days on regular rest - just like in this case.
noxiousdog

Post by noxiousdog »

stessier wrote: Thu Oct 18, 2018 4:16 am

The replays make a reasonable case those fans were over the wall. The only way they weren't was if they had T-rex arms.
The Boston Sports Network thinks you're wrong. "Replays appeared to show that Betts' left arm stretched over the wall and into the sea of fans."
Black Lives Matter

stessier

Post by stessier »

noxiousdog wrote: Thu Oct 18, 2018 9:53 am
stessier wrote: Thu Oct 18, 2018 4:16 am

The Boston Sports Network thinks you're wrong. "Replays appeared to show that Betts' left arm stretched over the wall and into the sea of fans."
Heh. Yeah, they don't know what they are talking about.
Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

Speaking as someone who cares zero who wins this series, his glove is in the stands and it should not have been fan interference.

Speaking as a baseball fan, it's a terrible rule. If a fan interferes with a player who the umpiring crew believes had a good chance of making a play, it should be an out. Otherwise let's just make it uniform and disallow players from making catches outside the field of play. Why are we relying on fans choosing not to be douches?
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

stessier wrote: Thu Oct 18, 2018 4:17 am I can't find any vids of the alleged JBJ strike/foul tip.

Nice to be up 3-1. Never thought there would be this many runs scored in these games.

And I see Price getting the ball in Game 5 the same as Wakefield taking the ball in Game 3 in 2004 - just need an arm to soak up some innings and try and come back and win the next day.
The replay showed no indication that the ball hit the tip of Bradley's bat. FWIW Bradley seemed insistent, and the home plate umpire made the call quickly and without evident hesitation, so *maybe* the umpire heard a ball-hitting-bat sound, but it definitely looked wrong. Didn't really have a big impact on the game, though - JBJ walked (on 4 more pitches, as the tipped pitch was an 0-2 pitch), then Mookie Betts made the final out of the inning.
Black Lives Matter.
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

Zaxxon wrote: Thu Oct 18, 2018 10:02 am Speaking as someone who cares zero who wins this series, his glove is in the stands and it should not have been fan interference.

Speaking as a baseball fan, it's a terrible rule. If a fan interferes with a player who the umpiring crew believes had a good chance of making a play, it should be an out. Otherwise let's just make it uniform and disallow players from making catches outside the field of play. Why are we relying on fans choosing not to be douches?
This is where I'm inclined to come out on this (obviously not as a disinterested viewer). From the replays (while they're not unambiguous) Betts's glove was probably at least above the fence (which I understand to be an interference-ok zone, per the rule). It does bother me that Betts was very likely going to make that catch (his glove was under the ball, and he clearly doesn't catch the ball because the fan's hand winds up pushing his glove closed (which the ball then hits). So fan interference makes logical sense to me applied here.

The potential trick is that if you do allow fan interference calls where the fielder's glove is outside the field of play, that's probably a harder rule to apply. You can't expect a fan in the first row to get out of the way of a fielder in order to let them make the call. But if the fan being in the way (without moving) is not interference, then it seems like you'd have to make some judgment about whether the fan was 'intentionally' interfering, or 'unreasonably' interfering, or something like that.

Anyway, it is what it is, I suppose.
Black Lives Matter.
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

Black Lives Matter.
stessier

Post by stessier »

This is the best sports argument because there is just no way to know (without further video evidence). Everyone wins/loses! :D
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

stessier wrote: Thu Oct 18, 2018 4:31 am
Lorini wrote: Wed Oct 17, 2018 10:25 pm

So assuming it was actually a problem, how would you legislate against it? The starting pitcher just has to feign an injury (elbow soreness for example) and leave after one batter. You get the MRI, it's declared not a problem, and he starts in 3 days on regular rest - just like in this case.
I don't see the faked injury thing is likely all that big a concern - it's hard to see players and managers going along with obviously faking injuries repeatedly (and MLB could sanction that).

I think the bigger issue is just that with "openers" getting more popular (per the Rays and the A's), how does one draw a line between an ok 'opener' and a forbidden 'starting pitcher decoy'? If it's ok to have a reliever pitch one inning to start a game before giving way to an extended-inning "starter", why would you disallow them from having a pitcher face just two hitters? Or just one?

"Fixing" this would seem to require an MLB rule that would mandate that the starting pitcher face X hitters, or throw Y pitches, or whatnot, and I just can't see MLB trying to legislate it to that specificity.
Black Lives Matter.
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

I bet that Astros security guard (I'm assuming he's on the Astros payroll) is taking some shit today.
Black Lives Matter.
noxiousdog

Post by noxiousdog »

El Guapo wrote: Thu Oct 18, 2018 10:20 am I bet that Astros security guard (I'm assuming he's on the Astros payroll) is taking some shit today.
Probably, but he was doing his job. He needed to make sure the fans didn't get too agressive with the wall, Betts, or each other.
Black Lives Matter