Amazon has whacked our affiliate account. Hosting Donations/Commitments $2063 of $1920 (Sept 13/18). In Hand $1466 (Lump sum payments minus paypal graft). Paypal Donation Link Here

Audible

Everything else!

Moderators: Bakhtosh, EvilHomer3k

User avatar
Isgrimnur
Posts: 60477
Joined: Sun Oct 15, 2006 12:29 am
Location: Chookity pok
Contact:
Isgrimnur’s avatar
Snooze

Audible

Post by Isgrimnur » Fri Oct 05, 2018 4:45 pm

Originals
For more than 20 years, we’ve been creating rich, audio-only experiences—stories so powerful we believe they must be heard. Audible Originals bring together celebrated writers and performers from worlds as diverse as theater, literature, journalism, and more, and we are excited to share some of our favorites with you. Each month, choose two of six unique Originals to enjoy, included as part of your Audible membership—no credits needed. Come back every month for fresh voices, new stories, and even more star power. We hope you love what you hear.
...
Look for the star to find the Originals section within your Audible app. If you don’t see the star, you may need to update. Pick two Audible Originals from our selection of six every month. You can download your selections through this page, or right from your Audible app–no credits needed­. All Audible Originals you download are yours to keep forever.
Silver - 1k

User avatar
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator
Posts: 46116
Joined: Fri Oct 15, 2004 3:08 pm
Location: Urbs in Horto, where we only use the old smilies

Re: Audible

Post by LawBeefaroni » Fri Oct 05, 2018 4:51 pm

I did the Xfiles one a few weeks ago. It was fun but not great. Considering that I'm at my credit limit, I should probably just buy something.
" Hey OP, listen to my advice alright." -Tha General
"No scientific discovery is named after its original discoverer." -Stigler's Law of Eponymy, discovered by Robert K. Merton

MYT

User avatar
Isgrimnur
Posts: 60477
Joined: Sun Oct 15, 2006 12:29 am
Location: Chookity pok
Contact:
Isgrimnur’s avatar
Snooze

Re: Audible

Post by Isgrimnur » Fri Oct 05, 2018 5:10 pm

LawBeefaroni wrote:
Fri Oct 05, 2018 4:51 pm
I did the Xfiles one a few weeks ago. It was fun but not great. Considering that I'm at my credit limit, I should probably just buy something.
October Originals just dropped, so you have two more of the six titles on offer.

I was going to cancel when I hot credit limit. The website offered me a step-down every other month option, which I'm currently on. And I've been using credits on Great Courses stuff. I'm about to finish my third.
Silver - 1k

User avatar
Lorini
Posts: 6610
Joined: Wed Oct 13, 2004 8:52 am
Location: Santa Clarita, California
lorini.a’s avatar
Loading…

Re: Audible

Post by Lorini » Sat Oct 06, 2018 8:56 am

We've really enjoyed our listens of favorite books. Finishing up the Belgariad, moving on to Song of Fire and Ice. Already did Lord of the Rings and Harry Potter. $15 for each book is pretty good pricing.
Steer into the drift.

User avatar
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator
Posts: 46116
Joined: Fri Oct 15, 2004 3:08 pm
Location: Urbs in Horto, where we only use the old smilies

Re: Audible

Post by LawBeefaroni » Sat Oct 06, 2018 12:03 pm

Lorini wrote:
Sat Oct 06, 2018 8:56 am
We've really enjoyed our listens of favorite books. Finishing up the Belgariad, moving on to Song of Fire and Ice. Already did Lord of the Rings and Harry Potter. $15 for each book is pretty good pricing.
Yeah, my other problem is that I min/max. If the book is under $15 I buy it and only use credits for more expensive books. Fortunately all the non-fiction and Drew Hayes stuff that I read is like $20+.
" Hey OP, listen to my advice alright." -Tha General
"No scientific discovery is named after its original discoverer." -Stigler's Law of Eponymy, discovered by Robert K. Merton

MYT

User avatar
Isgrimnur
Posts: 60477
Joined: Sun Oct 15, 2006 12:29 am
Location: Chookity pok
Contact:
Isgrimnur’s avatar
Snooze

Re: Audible

Post by Isgrimnur » Thu Nov 01, 2018 9:59 am

Just released: Terry Pratchett: BBC Radio Drama Collection
Collected together for the first time are seven full-cast BBC Radio dramatisations of Terry Pratchett’s novels, with star-studded casts including Martin Jarvis, Sheila Hancock, Anton Lesser, Philip Jackson, Alex Jennings and Mark Heap.
  • Mort
  • Wyrd Sisters
  • Guards! Guards!
  • Eric
  • Small Gods
  • Night Watch
  • Only You Can Save Mankind, from the Johnny Maxwell series
Silver - 1k

xenocide
Posts: 280
Joined: Tue Oct 19, 2004 4:15 am

Re: Audible

Post by xenocide » Thu Nov 01, 2018 10:36 am

LawBeefaroni wrote:
Sat Oct 06, 2018 12:03 pm
Yeah, my other problem is that I min/max. If the book is under $15 I buy it and only use credits for more expensive books.
I do this all the time too. The big one I've found is on a good number of books, especially older ones, you can buy the kindle edition for under $10 and then "add audible narration" for $2.99 when the audible edition alone is $15 or more. It's always seemed strange that I can buy two formats cheaper then one.

User avatar
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator
Posts: 46116
Joined: Fri Oct 15, 2004 3:08 pm
Location: Urbs in Horto, where we only use the old smilies

Re: Audible

Post by LawBeefaroni » Thu Nov 01, 2018 10:51 am

xenocide wrote:
Thu Nov 01, 2018 10:36 am
LawBeefaroni wrote:
Sat Oct 06, 2018 12:03 pm
Yeah, my other problem is that I min/max. If the book is under $15 I buy it and only use credits for more expensive books.
I do this all the time too. The big one I've found is on a good number of books, especially older ones, you can buy the kindle edition for under $10 and then "add audible narration" for $2.99 when the audible edition alone is $15 or more. It's always seemed strange that I can buy two formats cheaper then one.
That's how I got started. I had a book and figured, what the heck, I'll add audio for a few bucks. I always check now before the straight up Audible purchase.
" Hey OP, listen to my advice alright." -Tha General
"No scientific discovery is named after its original discoverer." -Stigler's Law of Eponymy, discovered by Robert K. Merton

MYT

Jeff V
Posts: 31331
Joined: Fri Oct 15, 2004 7:17 pm
Location: Nowhere you want to be.

Re: Audible

Post by Jeff V » Thu Nov 01, 2018 11:01 am

I haven't subscribed to Audible because currently I have 2 library systems of free audiobooks to choose from. That might change when I lose access to one of them...the one my library belongs to seems to have half the titles as the one I still belong to from Bolingbrook (which in turn was half the titles available at Naperville...)

I have added narration to Kindle books from time to time, a no-brainer when the books are bought on the cheap in the first place (I did it with the last two Saxon tales novels by Cornwell). There's a few series books that have been out for a while that the libraries haven't picked up...I might go this route before memories of the other books fade too much.

User avatar
noxiousdog
Posts: 23184
Joined: Tue Oct 12, 2004 11:27 pm
Contact:

Re: Audible

Post by noxiousdog » Thu Nov 01, 2018 11:10 am

I just finished The Martian and it's the best audio book i've ever heard. The story is really good and the narrator is fantastic.
My continuing adventures of learning to play piano. - Now Playing Moonlight Sonata

Amazon Kindle Book Loaning Thread

"To wield Grond, the mighty hammer of the Federal Government, is to be intoxicated with power beyond what you and I can reckon (though I figure we can ball park it pretty good with computers and maths). Need to tunnel through a mountain? Grond. Kill a mighty ogre? Grond. Hangnail? Grond. Spider? Grond (actually, that's a legit use, moreso than the rest)." - Peacedog

User avatar
YellowKing
Posts: 25377
Joined: Wed Oct 13, 2004 2:02 pm

Re: Audible

Post by YellowKing » Thu Nov 01, 2018 3:22 pm

Pro tip - if (like me) you are a slow audiobook consumer and have accumulated a backlog, you can access a secret(ish) Silver plan which only charges you bi-monthly for a credit every 2 months. It's not listed under new account setups, but you can get it by going through the cancellation process and then choosing your reason as "don't use it enough" or whatever the similar option is.

I'm about 13 books behind right now, so I moved to that plan until I catch up. I chose that instead of canceling completely because I still wanted to be in the loop on all their daily deals, sales, and 2-for1-credit deals.

User avatar
Isgrimnur
Posts: 60477
Joined: Sun Oct 15, 2006 12:29 am
Location: Chookity pok
Contact:
Isgrimnur’s avatar
Snooze

Re: Audible

Post by Isgrimnur » Fri Nov 02, 2018 4:30 pm

November Originals

Patti Smith: Words and Music
Have a Nice Day (Billy Crystal, Annette Bening, Kevin Kline)
Twain’s Feast (Nick Offerman)
Stephen Fry’s Victorian Secrets
Strong Ending (Mary-Louise Parker)
Laurie Berkner’s Song and Story Kitchen
Silver - 1k

User avatar
Isgrimnur
Posts: 60477
Joined: Sun Oct 15, 2006 12:29 am
Location: Chookity pok
Contact:
Isgrimnur’s avatar
Snooze

Re: Audible

Post by Isgrimnur » Mon Dec 10, 2018 11:48 pm

December originals

Christmas Eve 1914
Out of my Mind - Alan Arkin
Zero G (Home Alone in space)
New Family Values
The Diary of a Hounslow Girl
Alien: Out of the Shadows
Jingle Bell Pop: How to Make a Holiday Hit
Silver - 1k

User avatar
Isgrimnur
Posts: 60477
Joined: Sun Oct 15, 2006 12:29 am
Location: Chookity pok
Contact:
Isgrimnur’s avatar
Snooze

Re: Audible

Post by Isgrimnur » Sat Jan 05, 2019 12:27 am

Bueller...?

January Originals

Atomic Marriage - narrated by Diane Lane
Power Moves: Lessons from Davos (economic forum, not Seaworth).
The Last Days of August
The Man on the Mountaintop - narrated by Stanley Tucci and others
The Spies That Bind: A Gallagher Girls Prequel
Harry Clarke: With Bonus Performance: Lillian - narrated by Billy Crudup
Silver - 1k

User avatar
$iljanus
Forum Moderator
Posts: 10710
Joined: Wed Oct 13, 2004 3:46 pm
Location: Under the bed...your bed...

Re: Audible

Post by $iljanus » Sun Jan 06, 2019 4:15 pm

Isgrimnur wrote:
Sat Jan 05, 2019 12:27 am

Power Moves: Lessons from Davos (economic forum, not Seaworth).
That’s too bad. I would have liked to have heard the wisdom of the Onion Knight.
tl;dr

Wise words of warning from Smoove B: Oh, how you all laughed when I warned you about the semen. Well, who's laughing now?

User avatar
Isgrimnur
Posts: 60477
Joined: Sun Oct 15, 2006 12:29 am
Location: Chookity pok
Contact:
Isgrimnur’s avatar
Snooze

Re: Audible

Post by Isgrimnur » Wed Feb 13, 2019 12:36 pm

February Originals
  • Folsom Untold: The Strange True Story of Johnny Cash's Greatest Album
  • Lucky Suit (Romance)
  • Mala (One-woman play)
  • Dodge & Twist (Oliver Twist + 12 years)
  • Sovereign (Sci-fi)
  • Killer by Nature (Psychological thriller)
Silver - 1k

User avatar
Isgrimnur
Posts: 60477
Joined: Sun Oct 15, 2006 12:29 am
Location: Chookity pok
Contact:
Isgrimnur’s avatar
Snooze

Audible

Post by Isgrimnur » Mon Mar 04, 2019 6:45 pm

February March Originals
  • Sakina's Restaurant - one-man play
  • A Mind of Her Own - Marie Curie fiction
  • Junk - sci-fi read by John Waters
  • Remembering Roth - Philip Roth bio
  • The Demon Next Door - true crime
  • Wishes and Wellingtons - children
Last edited by Isgrimnur on Mon Mar 04, 2019 6:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Silver - 1k

User avatar
MonkeyFinger
Posts: 3017
Joined: Thu Dec 30, 2004 10:23 pm
Location: South of Denver, CO

Re: Audible

Post by MonkeyFinger » Mon Mar 04, 2019 11:15 pm

Psssttt... March. :wink:
-mf

User avatar
Isgrimnur
Posts: 60477
Joined: Sun Oct 15, 2006 12:29 am
Location: Chookity pok
Contact:
Isgrimnur’s avatar
Snooze

Re: Audible

Post by Isgrimnur » Mon Mar 04, 2019 11:17 pm

I have to find some way to get people to reply.
Silver - 1k

User avatar
MonkeyFinger
Posts: 3017
Joined: Thu Dec 30, 2004 10:23 pm
Location: South of Denver, CO

Re: Audible

Post by MonkeyFinger » Mon Mar 04, 2019 11:22 pm

:lol:

Haven't really seen anything on these "originals" list that I've bitten on yet. Well, perhaps until now with "Trash" and it being narrated by THAT John Waters. :D
-mf

User avatar
Blackhawk
Posts: 26515
Joined: Tue Oct 12, 2004 9:48 pm
Location: Southwest Indiana
Contact:
Blackhawk’s avatar
Offline

Re: Audible

Post by Blackhawk » Mon Mar 25, 2019 11:55 pm

I finally tried this. I don't think I'll be able to keep up with it. It's just too much. I picked my free book (11 hours) and listened to it on my drive each day to pick up the kids and during my workout. It took two weeks to finish. At that rate, I'd be spending $30-$35 every month just for two novels - more than I pay for three video streaming services combined. Yes, I get to keep the books, but I'm unlikely to listen to a novel more than once during a five-year window.
[This space left intentionally blank.]

User avatar
gbasden
Posts: 5757
Joined: Wed Oct 13, 2004 1:57 am
Location: Sacramento, CA

Re: Audible

Post by gbasden » Tue Mar 26, 2019 2:12 am

Blackhawk wrote:
Mon Mar 25, 2019 11:55 pm
I finally tried this. I don't think I'll be able to keep up with it. It's just too much. I picked my free book (11 hours) and listened to it on my drive each day to pick up the kids and during my workout. It took two weeks to finish. At that rate, I'd be spending $30-$35 every month just for two novels - more than I pay for three video streaming services combined. Yes, I get to keep the books, but I'm unlikely to listen to a novel more than once during a five-year window.
Many of the books are upwards of 40 hours in length. 11 is actually fairly short.

Jaddison
Posts: 843
Joined: Thu Feb 25, 2010 4:24 pm

Re: Audible

Post by Jaddison » Tue Mar 26, 2019 7:25 am

I downloaded 2 of the Originals but haven't listened. Listening to Rocket Men right now......and also 23 Things They Didn't Tell you about Capitalism.

With Kindle offering such huge discounts on Audible to go with many books i have quite a backlog of audio books though not quite as big as my Steam backlog or Kindle backlog....which I will never get through in this life even if I stopped buying anything today.

User avatar
McNutt
Posts: 10757
Joined: Wed Oct 13, 2004 4:57 pm
Location: What's the opposite of the Twittersphere

Re: Audible

Post by McNutt » Tue Mar 26, 2019 8:32 am

When I buy a book I get longer ones. I'll buy the two book plan and keep it for a few months. In between books I'll catch up on podcasts. Works for me.

Jeff V
Posts: 31331
Joined: Fri Oct 15, 2004 7:17 pm
Location: Nowhere you want to be.

Re: Audible

Post by Jeff V » Tue Mar 26, 2019 8:59 am

Blackhawk wrote:
Mon Mar 25, 2019 11:55 pm
Yes, I get to keep the books, but I'm unlikely to listen to a novel more than once during a five-year window.
This is why I borrow them from the library instead. At a price of approximately $0 per book, you can read a lot and not worry about the price.

A couple of times I have availed myself of the cheap Audible add-ons if the library is slow to get an audiobook I really want to hear.

User avatar
Isgrimnur
Posts: 60477
Joined: Sun Oct 15, 2006 12:29 am
Location: Chookity pok
Contact:
Isgrimnur’s avatar
Snooze

Re: Audible

Post by Isgrimnur » Tue Mar 26, 2019 9:42 am

The Rise and Fall of the Third Reich: A History of Nazi Germany
Length: 57 hrs and 11 mins

Elantris
By: Brandon Sanderson
Length: 28 hrs and 37 mins

The Last Lion: Winston Spencer Churchill, Volume I: Visions of Glory 1874-1932
Length: 41h 19m
Silver - 1k

User avatar
Blackhawk
Posts: 26515
Joined: Tue Oct 12, 2004 9:48 pm
Location: Southwest Indiana
Contact:
Blackhawk’s avatar
Offline

Re: Audible

Post by Blackhawk » Tue Mar 26, 2019 11:03 am

There are books that I want to listen to (mostly novels, as I prefer easily referenced paper or digital for non-fiction.)

There are also books that are 40+ hours.

I can't see spending the money to listen to things that only vaguely interest me because the stuff I actually want to hear is too short. That would be spending the money on stuff I don't actually want, and that isn't a good investment. I'm actually looking at Scribd now, too. It seems to be unlimited listening for nine bucks, but without being able to keep the book afterward. Given that I would be unlikely to regularly re-listen, it might be a better deal.
[This space left intentionally blank.]

User avatar
Hyena
Posts: 1547
Joined: Thu Oct 14, 2004 4:14 am
Location: San Antonio, TX

Re: Audible

Post by Hyena » Tue Mar 26, 2019 11:12 am

Not sure if mentioned already, but I have found myself reading several LitRPG books recently. It is a bit cheesy, but it's basically a genre when the main character somehow (sometimes magically, sometimes technologically, etc.) gets sucked into a video game world and has to grow and advance. It's like reading a video game, including gaining new skills, leveling up, mastering new weapons, and building a village/community to hold off monsters of various levels and danger. Currently reading one by Aleron Kong (The Land series), but the one that got me started was the Apocalypse Series. Listening to those really scratches a gaming itch when I can't actually game.
"You laugh at me because I'm different; I laugh at you because you're all the same." ~Jonathan Davis

"The object of education is to prepare the young to educate themselves throughout their lives." ~Robert M. Hutchins

Jeff V
Posts: 31331
Joined: Fri Oct 15, 2004 7:17 pm
Location: Nowhere you want to be.

Re: Audible

Post by Jeff V » Tue Mar 26, 2019 12:48 pm

Hyena wrote:
Tue Mar 26, 2019 11:12 am
Not sure if mentioned already, but I have found myself reading several LitRPG books recently. It is a bit cheesy, but it's basically a genre when the main character somehow (sometimes magically, sometimes technologically, etc.) gets sucked into a video game world and has to grow and advance. It's like reading a video game, including gaining new skills, leveling up, mastering new weapons, and building a village/community to hold off monsters of various levels and danger. Currently reading one by Aleron Kong (The Land series), but the one that got me started was the Apocalypse Series. Listening to those really scratches a gaming itch when I can't actually game.
Max Brooks did one of these on Minecraft. I got it from the library a few months ago so my son could have something he was interested in to listen to instead of a constant diet of my books - I thought it was pretty well done for what it was, though.

User avatar
Blackhawk
Posts: 26515
Joined: Tue Oct 12, 2004 9:48 pm
Location: Southwest Indiana
Contact:
Blackhawk’s avatar
Offline

Re: Audible

Post by Blackhawk » Tue Mar 26, 2019 2:13 pm

Jeff V wrote:
Tue Mar 26, 2019 8:59 am
Blackhawk wrote:
Mon Mar 25, 2019 11:55 pm
Yes, I get to keep the books, but I'm unlikely to listen to a novel more than once during a five-year window.
This is why I borrow them from the library instead. At a price of approximately $0 per book, you can read a lot and not worry about the price.

A couple of times I have availed myself of the cheap Audible add-ons if the library is slow to get an audiobook I really want to hear.
Last time I was at my local library, they were still transitioning from VHS to DVD. This was last year. I should be able to get audiobooks by 2030, 2040 at the latest.
[This space left intentionally blank.]

Jeff V
Posts: 31331
Joined: Fri Oct 15, 2004 7:17 pm
Location: Nowhere you want to be.

Re: Audible

Post by Jeff V » Tue Mar 26, 2019 3:07 pm

Blackhawk wrote:
Tue Mar 26, 2019 2:13 pm
Jeff V wrote:
Tue Mar 26, 2019 8:59 am
Blackhawk wrote:
Mon Mar 25, 2019 11:55 pm
Yes, I get to keep the books, but I'm unlikely to listen to a novel more than once during a five-year window.
This is why I borrow them from the library instead. At a price of approximately $0 per book, you can read a lot and not worry about the price.

A couple of times I have availed myself of the cheap Audible add-ons if the library is slow to get an audiobook I really want to hear.
Last time I was at my local library, they were still transitioning from VHS to DVD. This was last year. I should be able to get audiobooks by 2030, 2040 at the latest.
You might want to check again. The only times I've ever set foot in a library in the past 10 years was to apply for a library card. All of the audiobooks are accessed via an app; and the last two libraries I've been a member are each part of a group of libraries that pool their resources to offer digital content to all of their content.

User avatar
Isgrimnur
Posts: 60477
Joined: Sun Oct 15, 2006 12:29 am
Location: Chookity pok
Contact:
Isgrimnur’s avatar
Snooze

Re: Audible

Post by Isgrimnur » Tue Mar 26, 2019 3:24 pm

Sullivan, IN doesn't pull up on the Overdrive site.
Silver - 1k

User avatar
Blackhawk
Posts: 26515
Joined: Tue Oct 12, 2004 9:48 pm
Location: Southwest Indiana
Contact:
Blackhawk’s avatar
Offline

Re: Audible

Post by Blackhawk » Tue Mar 26, 2019 4:34 pm

Yeah, there is one library on the system a county north of me, and one library a county east of me.
[This space left intentionally blank.]

User avatar
Isgrimnur
Posts: 60477
Joined: Sun Oct 15, 2006 12:29 am
Location: Chookity pok
Contact:
Isgrimnur’s avatar
Snooze

Re: Audible

Post by Isgrimnur » Tue Mar 26, 2019 4:37 pm

Blackhawk wrote:
Tue Mar 26, 2019 4:34 pm
Yeah, there is one library on the system a county north of me, and one library a county east of me.
Image
Silver - 1k

User avatar
Blackhawk
Posts: 26515
Joined: Tue Oct 12, 2004 9:48 pm
Location: Southwest Indiana
Contact:
Blackhawk’s avatar
Offline

Re: Audible

Post by Blackhawk » Wed Mar 27, 2019 9:39 am

I went to cancel. They offered me three months at $7.50 to stay and 'give them a chance.'

I'll cancel in three months.
[This space left intentionally blank.]

User avatar
Isgrimnur
Posts: 60477
Joined: Sun Oct 15, 2006 12:29 am
Location: Chookity pok
Contact:
Isgrimnur’s avatar
Snooze

Re: Audible

Post by Isgrimnur » Fri Apr 05, 2019 10:38 am

April Originals
  • True West - Sam Shepard play read by Kit Harington and Johnny Flynn
  • The Beautiful Brain - concussion investigation
  • Riley Mack and the Other Known Troublemakers - chidren's
  • Elizabeth II: Life of a Monarch
  • The Dispatcher - by John Scalzi, narrated by: Zachary Quinto
  • The Darkwater Bride - Horror
Silver - 1k

User avatar
Isgrimnur
Posts: 60477
Joined: Sun Oct 15, 2006 12:29 am
Location: Chookity pok
Contact:
Isgrimnur’s avatar
Snooze

Re: Audible

Post by Isgrimnur » Sat May 04, 2019 4:22 pm

May Originals
  • Black Crow, White Snow - fiction
  • More Bedtime Stories for Cynics- - Nick Offerman
  • Evil Eye - audio play
  • The Wild Heart of Stevie Nicks
  • The Mystery of Alice - thriller
  • The 3-Day Effect - science
Silver - 1k

User avatar
msteelers
Posts: 6157
Joined: Sun Oct 17, 2004 9:30 pm
Location: Port Saint Lucie, Florida
Contact:

Re: Audible

Post by msteelers » Sun May 05, 2019 2:32 am

I’m in the process of recording my first audiobook right now. Well, technically it’s my 2nd. The first one is terrible though. It’s a self help book that I’m fairly certain was written by a robot. I used a fake name for it, so hopefully it never sees the light of day. I did learn a lot about workflow and how to efficiently go through the process of recording an audiobook tjougj.

This second book is much better. I should be done recording it in early June, unless something goes horribly wrong. It then would be up on Audible shortly after that.

User avatar
Unagi
Posts: 17284
Joined: Wed Sep 20, 2006 5:14 pm
Location: Chicago

Re: Audible

Post by Unagi » Sun May 05, 2019 1:43 pm

msteelers wrote:
Sun May 05, 2019 2:32 am
I’m in the process of recording my first audiobook right now. Well, technically it’s my 2nd. The first one is terrible though. It’s a self help book that I’m fairly certain was written by a robot. I used a fake name for it, so hopefully it never sees the light of day. I did learn a lot about workflow and how to efficiently go through the process of recording an audiobook tjougj.

This second book is much better. I should be done recording it in early June, unless something goes horribly wrong. It then would be up on Audible shortly after that.


So, I'm curious from what you wrote....
Is this correct: You are creating content for Audible, narrating a book (written by someone else)?

Is this lucrative? Is it a job?
How does one get a job doing that?


edit: is it through Amazon’s Audiobook Creative Exchange (ACX) (which connects audiobook narrators with books to narrate)

I'm fascinated by this idea.

User avatar
msteelers
Posts: 6157
Joined: Sun Oct 17, 2004 9:30 pm
Location: Port Saint Lucie, Florida
Contact:

Re: Audible

Post by msteelers » Sun May 05, 2019 1:55 pm

Unagi wrote:
msteelers wrote:
Sun May 05, 2019 2:32 am
I’m in the process of recording my first audiobook right now. Well, technically it’s my 2nd. The first one is terrible though. It’s a self help book that I’m fairly certain was written by a robot. I used a fake name for it, so hopefully it never sees the light of day. I did learn a lot about workflow and how to efficiently go through the process of recording an audiobook tjougj.

This second book is much better. I should be done recording it in early June, unless something goes horribly wrong. It then would be up on Audible shortly after that.


So, I'm curious from what you wrote....
Is this correct: You are creating content for Audible, narrating a book (written by someone else)?

Is this lucrative? Is it a job?
How does one get a job doing that?
That’s it! I built a recording space at home to do various voice work. Audible set up a website where narrators and authors can connect.

It is most definitely not lucrative, at least to start. These two books are on a Royalty Sharing plan, where I split the royalties with the author. More established narrators can make an hourly rate, upwards of $200 per finished hour. The book I’m working on now will be about 10 hours when it’s all said and done, but since I’m still learning how to do it this might take upwards of 60 hours to complete it. I have to record it, edit it, and upload it.

Post Reply