Fundraising for 2019/2020: 12 Months Renewed - We are good until October 2020. Paypal Donation Link Here

Audible

Everything else!

Moderators: Bakhtosh, EvilHomer3k

User avatar
Isgrimnur
Posts: 62111
Joined: Sun Oct 15, 2006 12:29 am
Location: Chookity pok
Contact:

Re: Audible

Post by Isgrimnur » Sun May 05, 2019 2:59 pm

Bronson Pinchot has made a job out of doing it. He has, iirc, hundreds of titles on Audible.

Jeff V
Posts: 31715
Joined: Fri Oct 15, 2004 7:17 pm
Location: Nowhere you want to be.

Re: Audible

Post by Jeff V » Sun May 05, 2019 10:37 pm

Isgrimnur wrote:
Sun May 05, 2019 2:59 pm
Bronson Pinchot has made a job out of doing it. He has, iirc, hundreds of titles on Audible.
I listen to nearly 100 audio books per year, i don't recall Bronson Pinchot narrating any of them. I rather like him, though. My favorite readers are Rene Auberjonois and Scott Brick.

User avatar
Isgrimnur
Posts: 62111
Joined: Sun Oct 15, 2006 12:29 am
Location: Chookity pok
Contact:

Re: Audible

Post by Isgrimnur » Sun May 05, 2019 11:45 pm


Jeff V
Posts: 31715
Joined: Fri Oct 15, 2004 7:17 pm
Location: Nowhere you want to be.

Re: Audible

Post by Jeff V » Mon May 06, 2019 9:35 am

So, not exactly a niche reader, is he?

Oh, I forgot to mention Neil Gaiman. I don't always care for his books, but if he's doing the reading, I'm in.

User avatar
msteelers
Posts: 6323
Joined: Sun Oct 17, 2004 9:30 pm
Location: Port Saint Lucie, Florida
Contact:

Re: Audible

Post by msteelers » Mon May 06, 2019 9:48 am

Jeff V wrote:
Mon May 06, 2019 9:35 am
So, not exactly a niche reader, is he?

Oh, I forgot to mention Neil Gaiman. I don't always care for his books, but if he's doing the reading, I'm in.
His reading of Norse Mythology was fantastic.

User avatar
MonkeyFinger
Posts: 3088
Joined: Thu Dec 30, 2004 10:23 pm
Location: South of Denver, CO

Re: Audible

Post by MonkeyFinger » Tue May 07, 2019 8:33 am

msteelers wrote:
Mon May 06, 2019 9:48 am
Jeff V wrote:
Mon May 06, 2019 9:35 am
So, not exactly a niche reader, is he?

Oh, I forgot to mention Neil Gaiman. I don't always care for his books, but if he's doing the reading, I'm in.
His reading of Norse Mythology was fantastic.
Interesting... I have the book but may look into getting the audio version as that may be the only way it actually gets "read" anytime soon. :think:
-mf

User avatar
msteelers
Posts: 6323
Joined: Sun Oct 17, 2004 9:30 pm
Location: Port Saint Lucie, Florida
Contact:

Re: Audible

Post by msteelers » Tue May 07, 2019 8:36 am

MonkeyFinger wrote:
msteelers wrote:
Mon May 06, 2019 9:48 am
Jeff V wrote:
Mon May 06, 2019 9:35 am
So, not exactly a niche reader, is he?

Oh, I forgot to mention Neil Gaiman. I don't always care for his books, but if he's doing the reading, I'm in.
His reading of Norse Mythology was fantastic.
Interesting... I have the book but may look into getting the audio version as that may be the only way it actually gets "read" anytime soon. :think:
I know for me the underlying stories weren’t interesting enough to get me to actually read them. But it made for good background noise when I was doing something else. I’m pretty sure I got the audiobook from my library.

User avatar
hentzau
Posts: 13889
Joined: Thu Oct 21, 2004 11:06 am
Location: Castle Zenda, Ruritania
Hentzau’s avatar
Offline

Re: Audible

Post by hentzau » Tue May 07, 2019 11:04 am

I just grabbed Adam Savage's "Every Tool's A Hammer". I'll report back after a listen.
"Women are naturally secretive, and they like to do their own secreting." - Sherlock Holmes, A Scandal in Bohemia

User avatar
Jaymon
Posts: 1623
Joined: Wed Sep 10, 2008 12:51 pm

Re: Audible

Post by Jaymon » Tue May 07, 2019 11:27 am

recording an audio book sounds really cool.
Bunnies like beer because its made from hops.

Jeff V
Posts: 31715
Joined: Fri Oct 15, 2004 7:17 pm
Location: Nowhere you want to be.

Re: Audible

Post by Jeff V » Thu May 09, 2019 1:49 pm

Jaymon wrote:
Tue May 07, 2019 11:27 am
recording an audio book sounds really cool.
Check out Librivox sometime. Thousands do. That site will make you appreciative of professionals who do that for a living.

User avatar
gbasden
Posts: 5841
Joined: Wed Oct 13, 2004 1:57 am
Location: Sacramento, CA

Re: Audible

Post by gbasden » Sun May 12, 2019 4:26 pm

hentzau wrote:
Tue May 07, 2019 11:04 am
I just grabbed Adam Savage's "Every Tool's A Hammer". I'll report back after a listen.
Please do! I'd love a review!

User avatar
Hyena
Posts: 1578
Joined: Thu Oct 14, 2004 4:14 am
Location: San Antonio, TX

Re: Audible

Post by Hyena » Mon May 13, 2019 4:25 pm

Nick Podehl does a great job, too. He reads mostly fantasy and LitRPG, but his voices are incredible and unique for each character.
"You laugh at me because I'm different; I laugh at you because you're all the same." ~Jonathan Davis

"The object of education is to prepare the young to educate themselves throughout their lives." ~Robert M. Hutchins

User avatar
Blackhawk
Posts: 27105
Joined: Tue Oct 12, 2004 9:48 pm
Location: Southwest Indiana
Contact:

Re: Audible

Post by Blackhawk » Fri Jun 07, 2019 6:51 pm

I've been listening to audiobooks during my stationary bike sessions every day, but I have trouble finding good fits. The problem is that there is a fine line between too involved and not involved enough. Let me explain.

I've listened to a few pulpy adventure stories, but found that they weren't deep enough to really hold my attention most of the time, which let me sit there and think, "OW! My legs!" instead.


I've also listened to some deeper, better written material that I'm having trouble following because my attention needs to wander sometimes (to adjust my pace, my focus on my breathing for a minute, etc.) Right now I'm listening to Count Zero by William Gibson. I loved Neuromancer in dead tree format, but as an audiobook it's too much for a workout. I find that I often lose track of the story because I missed a sentence or two. I also lose track because of all of the metaphor in it, which is hard to suss out while my heart rate is at 150. It's a great choice for driving or painting, but just doesn't work for exercise.


What I need, then, are books that are a happy medium, that are involved and well-written enough to keep my attention and entertain, but aren't so abstract or detailed that a moment's wandering attention can cause .


I very much prefer fantasy, with sci-fi in second place. I'd also be willing to try adventure/thriller books with more of a real-world setting, but they're not an everyday thing for me.
[This space left intentionally blank.]

User avatar
Isgrimnur
Posts: 62111
Joined: Sun Oct 15, 2006 12:29 am
Location: Chookity pok
Contact:

Re: Audible

Post by Isgrimnur » Sun Jun 09, 2019 1:47 pm

June Originals
  • Alien III
  • You Do You: Proud to Be Fabulous
  • Even Tree Nymphs Get the Blues
  • Jukebox Joyride - Children's
  • Olio Live
  • The Dead Drink First

User avatar
Blackhawk
Posts: 27105
Joined: Tue Oct 12, 2004 9:48 pm
Location: Southwest Indiana
Contact:

Re: Audible

Post by Blackhawk » Sun Jun 09, 2019 8:30 pm

Isgrimnur wrote:
Sun Jun 09, 2019 1:47 pm
June Originals
  • Alien III
Why am I not excited?
[This space left intentionally blank.]

User avatar
msteelers
Posts: 6323
Joined: Sun Oct 17, 2004 9:30 pm
Location: Port Saint Lucie, Florida
Contact:

Re: Audible

Post by msteelers » Sun Jun 16, 2019 10:06 am

I just finished recording my first audiobook. The author must have enjoyed it because he asked me to narrate the 2nd book in the series. I think I’ll have some promo codes to give away, if you’re willing to leave a review. It’s a post-apocalyptic zombie book. Let me know if you are interested.

Jeff V
Posts: 31715
Joined: Fri Oct 15, 2004 7:17 pm
Location: Nowhere you want to be.

Re: Audible

Post by Jeff V » Sun Jun 16, 2019 10:39 am

msteelers wrote:
Sun Jun 16, 2019 10:06 am
I just finished recording my first audiobook. The author must have enjoyed it because he asked me to narrate the 2nd book in the series. I think I’ll have some promo codes to give away, if you’re willing to leave a review. It’s a post-apocalyptic zombie book. Let me know if you are interested.
Switching narrators in the course of a series is akin to changing the cast in a TV series or movie sequels. It's jarring for the listener as they have to re-identify with each character in the story. Still, if he hated the result, the offer probably wouldn't have made.

I do lots of book reviews and my reviews are always based on the merits of the story (and audio production if that is impactful). As long as you don't expect a forum-friend advantage, feel free to shoot me a copy if you'd like it reviewed (I'll post on Amazon and Librarything).

User avatar
msteelers
Posts: 6323
Joined: Sun Oct 17, 2004 9:30 pm
Location: Port Saint Lucie, Florida
Contact:

Re: Audible

Post by msteelers » Sun Jun 16, 2019 4:57 pm

Jeff V wrote:I do lots of book reviews and my reviews are always based on the merits of the story (and audio production if that is impactful). As long as you don't expect a forum-friend advantage, feel free to shoot me a copy if you'd like it reviewed (I'll post on Amazon and Librarything).
Thanks! I’ll let you know when I get some promo codes. It will probably be two weeks or so.

User avatar
msteelers
Posts: 6323
Joined: Sun Oct 17, 2004 9:30 pm
Location: Port Saint Lucie, Florida
Contact:

Re: Audible

Post by msteelers » Mon Jul 01, 2019 9:48 am

The audiobook I recorded is now on sale! Zombies! Book 1: A Small World is about three groups of survivors trying to get by in the zombie apocalypse. It's a pretty light read (listen?), even though things get pretty bleak for the characters really quickly. It clocks in at around 7.5 hours.

I do have some promo codes available, so shoot me a message if you are interested in getting a copy of the audiobook in exchange for an honest review.

User avatar
Isgrimnur
Posts: 62111
Joined: Sun Oct 15, 2006 12:29 am
Location: Chookity pok
Contact:

Re: Audible

Post by Isgrimnur » Fri Jul 05, 2019 10:43 am

When being a lazy student of literature isn't enough, there are the audio versions of CliffsNotes.

User avatar
Isgrimnur
Posts: 62111
Joined: Sun Oct 15, 2006 12:29 am
Location: Chookity pok
Contact:

Re: Audible

Post by Isgrimnur » Fri Jul 05, 2019 10:55 am

July Originals
  • A Grown-Up Guide to Dinosaurs
  • Screwball - Babe Ruth in the minor leagues
  • The Man Who Knew the Way to the Moon - Science history
  • Proof of Love - play
  • Rivals! Frenemies Who Changed the World
  • The Adventures of Tom Stranger, Interdimensional Insurance Agent

User avatar
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator
Posts: 46724
Joined: Fri Oct 15, 2004 3:08 pm
Location: Urbs in Horto, where we only use the old smilies

Re: Audible

Post by LawBeefaroni » Mon Jul 08, 2019 1:05 pm

msteelers wrote:
Mon Jul 01, 2019 9:48 am
The audiobook I recorded is now on sale! Zombies! Book 1: A Small World is about three groups of survivors trying to get by in the zombie apocalypse. It's a pretty light read (listen?), even though things get pretty bleak for the characters really quickly. It clocks in at around 7.5 hours.

I do have some promo codes available, so shoot me a message if you are interested in getting a copy of the audiobook in exchange for an honest review.
Added to my list.
" Hey OP, listen to my advice alright." -Tha General
"No scientific discovery is named after its original discoverer." -Stigler's Law of Eponymy, discovered by Robert K. Merton

MYT

xenocide
Posts: 280
Joined: Tue Oct 19, 2004 4:15 am

Re: Audible

Post by xenocide » Mon Jul 08, 2019 1:09 pm

The Man Who Knew the Way to the Moon - Science history

Listened to this while driving for the 4th. It was quite good.

User avatar
Isgrimnur
Posts: 62111
Joined: Sun Oct 15, 2006 12:29 am
Location: Chookity pok
Contact:

Re: Audible

Post by Isgrimnur » Sun Aug 18, 2019 2:44 pm

August Originals
  • Wally Roux, Quantum Mechanic - teen sci-fi
  • It's Not What It Looks Like - Molly Burke
  • Foreverywhere - kid fiction
  • It Burns - The Scandal-Plagued Race to Breed the World’s Hottest Chilli
  • Treasure Island
  • The Conception of Terror: Tales Inspired by M. R. James - Volume 1

User avatar
Isgrimnur
Posts: 62111
Joined: Sun Oct 15, 2006 12:29 am
Location: Chookity pok
Contact:

Re: Audible

Post by Isgrimnur » Fri Sep 06, 2019 10:08 pm

September Originals
  • The Sisters - prequel to the Cormac Reilly mystery series
  • The Mystwick School of Musicraft - kids
  • The Home Front: Life in America During World War II - narrated by Martin Sheen
  • Press Pause: A Young Person's Guide to Managing Life's Challenges
  • Body of Proof - true crime
  • The Absolute Brightness of Leonard Pelkey - police procedural, LGBTQIA+

    User avatar
    Blackhawk
    Posts: 27105
    Joined: Tue Oct 12, 2004 9:48 pm
    Location: Southwest Indiana
    Contact:

    Re: Audible

    Post by Blackhawk » Sat Sep 07, 2019 10:52 am

    Three crime novels and two kids books. Ick.
    [This space left intentionally blank.]

    User avatar
    Isgrimnur
    Posts: 62111
    Joined: Sun Oct 15, 2006 12:29 am
    Location: Chookity pok
    Contact:

    Re: Audible

    Post by Isgrimnur » Wed Oct 16, 2019 4:15 pm

    October Originals
    • Carnival Row: Tangle in the Dark - prequel to the Amazon series
    • Carmilla - erotic gothic horror
    • Camp Red Moon - R. L. Stine
    • the way she spoke - drama about women and Juarez
    • The Burnout Generation - all about Millenials
    • My Lost Family - fiction, sequel to My Mother’s Lost Children

      User avatar
      Defiant
      Posts: 17981
      Joined: Tue Oct 12, 2004 11:09 pm
      Location: Tongue in cheek

      Re: Audible

      Post by Defiant » Wed Oct 16, 2019 4:18 pm

      Isgrimnur wrote:
      Wed Oct 16, 2019 4:15 pm
      October Originals
      • Carnival Row: Tangle in the Dark - prequel to the Amazon series
      • Carmilla - erotic gothic horror
      • Camp Red Moon - R. L. Stine
      • the way she spoke - drama about women and Juarez
      • The Burnout Generation - all about Millenials
      • My Lost Family - fiction, sequel to My Mother’s Lost Children
      Maybe I'm misreading it, but it looks to me like Carnival Row is free for for members independent of being an October Original?

      User avatar
      Isgrimnur
      Posts: 62111
      Joined: Sun Oct 15, 2006 12:29 am
      Location: Chookity pok
      Contact:

      Re: Audible

      Post by Isgrimnur » Wed Oct 16, 2019 4:28 pm

      ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

      Couldn't tell you, as I'm either signed in as a Silver member, or logged out.

      User avatar
      Blackhawk
      Posts: 27105
      Joined: Tue Oct 12, 2004 9:48 pm
      Location: Southwest Indiana
      Contact:

      Re: Audible

      Post by Blackhawk » Wed Oct 16, 2019 4:34 pm

      Correct. Two plus Carnival Row.
      [This space left intentionally blank.]

      User avatar
      Blackhawk
      Posts: 27105
      Joined: Tue Oct 12, 2004 9:48 pm
      Location: Southwest Indiana
      Contact:

      Re: Audible

      Post by Blackhawk » Fri Oct 18, 2019 2:32 pm

      I ended up sticking with Audible, and still use it primarily to listen to while I work out. So, recommend me a few books. I've found that workout listening doesn't lend itself well to overly detailed, complex novels or plots. William Gibson, for instance, made a great car listen, but I couldn't follow it while working out, as my mind isn't on the book 100% of the time - I also need to be thinking about the workout itself. Gibson had plots that were 2/3 implication that weren't explained to the end, and had extensive descriptions along the way. I'd miss a line here or there and have no idea what was going on five minutes later.

      I just listened to Jurassic Park and Lost World by Crichton. It was a great match for the workout, as it had enough plot and events to keep me interested, but wasn't so detailed and convoluted that a 20 seconds of focusing on my breathing broke the story.

      I love sci-fi and fantasy, although right now I'm not really in the mood for either. I've thought about Clive Cussler, which I've heard compared to Alistair MacLean (one of my favorites when I was younger), but the books available on Audible seem to be all over the place, continuity wise (IE - they have 13, 14, 17, and up from there, but none of the others.) I've also considered The Dresden Files.

      Any thoughts, either on my ideas or other suggestions? I really only have Audible available.
      [This space left intentionally blank.]

      User avatar
      gbasden
      Posts: 5841
      Joined: Wed Oct 13, 2004 1:57 am
      Location: Sacramento, CA

      Re: Audible

      Post by gbasden » Sun Oct 20, 2019 4:10 am

      Blackhawk wrote:
      Fri Oct 18, 2019 2:32 pm
      I ended up sticking with Audible, and still use it primarily to listen to while I work out. So, recommend me a few books. I've found that workout listening doesn't lend itself well to overly detailed, complex novels or plots. William Gibson, for instance, made a great car listen, but I couldn't follow it while working out, as my mind isn't on the book 100% of the time - I also need to be thinking about the workout itself. Gibson had plots that were 2/3 implication that weren't explained to the end, and had extensive descriptions along the way. I'd miss a line here or there and have no idea what was going on five minutes later.

      I just listened to Jurassic Park and Lost World by Crichton. It was a great match for the workout, as it had enough plot and events to keep me interested, but wasn't so detailed and convoluted that a 20 seconds of focusing on my breathing broke the story.

      I love sci-fi and fantasy, although right now I'm not really in the mood for either. I've thought about Clive Cussler, which I've heard compared to Alistair MacLean (one of my favorites when I was younger), but the books available on Audible seem to be all over the place, continuity wise (IE - they have 13, 14, 17, and up from there, but none of the others.) I've also considered The Dresden Files.

      Any thoughts, either on my ideas or other suggestions? I really only have Audible available.
      I have a few recently that I've loved and would be suitable for workouts, I think.

      What If? Serious Scientific Answers to Absurd Hypothetical Questions By Randall Munroe. By the gentleman who does XKCD, I found this super fascinating. Starting with the initial opener, what would happen if a baseball pitcher threw a ball at the speed of light (spoiler - everybody dies) it was almost uniformly awesome.

      The Last Days of August by Jon Ronson. I'm a big fan of Ronson and his first person journalism/storytelling. This is half the story of internet bullying and half a look at the issues in some modern porn. I thought it was really well done and very humanizing for all involved.

      Kitchen Confidential - Adventures in the Culinary Underbelly by Anthony Bourdain. I'm sure you may have already read this, but on the off chance I though I would recommend it. Bourdain was legitimately larger than life.

      Change Agent by Daniel Suarez. I've liked everything he's done, and this is no different. A near future sci-fi/distopia-ish novel, it looks at the ability to rewrite DNA and how that might be used for ill.

      Jaddison
      Posts: 884
      Joined: Thu Feb 25, 2010 4:24 pm

      Re: Audible

      Post by Jaddison » Sun Oct 20, 2019 7:56 pm

      I just finished "Super Pumped" about Travis Kalanick and Uber. Was a good listening and fascinating to hear the rise of Uner and all the machinations within the company.

      About a month ago finished Out for Blood about Theranos and Elizabeth Holmes.

      If you are at all interested in startup culture, Silicon Valley and egos gone wild both are highly recommended.

      User avatar
      MonkeyFinger
      Posts: 3088
      Joined: Thu Dec 30, 2004 10:23 pm
      Location: South of Denver, CO

      Re: Audible

      Post by MonkeyFinger » Tue Oct 22, 2019 9:08 am

      I'll throw some out there, things I've listened to recently and enjoyed.

      Spearhead by Adam Makos. "An American Tank Gunner, His Enemy, and a Collision of Lives in World War II". Been discussed here, great book.
      Children of Time by Adrian Tchaikovksy. "Humanity's battle for survival on a terraformed planet". First in a series, listening now.
      Heirs of Grace by Tim Pratt. "A tale of family and magic, action and wonder". Really enjoyed this.
      Hell Divers by Nicholas Sansbury Smith. "Survival in the sky after WWIII poisoned the planet". Sixth book comes out in a couple of weeks.
      -mf

      Post Reply