Amazon has whacked our affiliate account. Hosting Donations/Commitments $2063 of $1920 (Sept 13/18). In Hand $1466 (Lump sum payments minus paypal graft). Paypal Donation Link Here

Winter 2018-19 is coming

Everything else!

Moderators: Bakhtosh, EvilHomer3k

Post Reply
Jeff V
Posts: 30872
Joined: Fri Oct 15, 2004 7:17 pm
Location: Nowhere you want to be.

Re: Winter 2018-19 is coming

Post by Jeff V » Tue Jan 22, 2019 10:30 am

Supposed to get 4+ inches today, with a nice break expected around evening rush, when it turns to freezing rain instead.

User avatar
Skinypupy
Posts: 12833
Joined: Tue Dec 07, 2004 10:12 am
Location: Pac-12 Country

Re: Winter 2018-19 is coming

Post by Skinypupy » Tue Jan 22, 2019 10:41 am

We got hammered pretty good yesterday, with about 6 inches coming down. Was the largest snowstorm I can remember in the Salt Lake valley in a couple years.
“Don’t tickle the wall clown.” - MST3K

User avatar
pr0ner
Posts: 13917
Joined: Mon Dec 06, 2004 3:00 pm
Location: Northern Virginia, VA
Contact:

Re: Winter 2018-19 is coming

Post by pr0ner » Fri Jan 25, 2019 1:47 am

Holy shit. If that forecast holds, it will literally be the coldest weather I have ever experienced.

Hodor.

Jeff V
Posts: 30872
Joined: Fri Oct 15, 2004 7:17 pm
Location: Nowhere you want to be.

Re: Winter 2018-19 is coming

Post by Jeff V » Fri Jan 25, 2019 9:21 am

pr0ner wrote:
Fri Jan 25, 2019 1:47 am
Holy shit. If that forecast holds, it will literally be the coldest weather I have ever experienced.

That looks like shorts and t-shirt weather here.

It is -6 with a windchill of -27 here right now. So...shorts and flannel shirt weather (I'm actually wearing that right now). Next week is going to be much worse, with temps down to -15. And that's after a Monday snowstorm expected to drop about a foot.

Waiting for wife to get home before taking my son to school and myself to work so I don't have to drag my daughter outside. I suppose I should put some pants on.

User avatar
pr0ner
Posts: 13917
Joined: Mon Dec 06, 2004 3:00 pm
Location: Northern Virginia, VA
Contact:

Re: Winter 2018-19 is coming

Post by pr0ner » Fri Jan 25, 2019 9:25 am

14 is shorts and a t-shirt weather. Suuuuuuure.
Hodor.

User avatar
Unagi
Posts: 16851
Joined: Wed Sep 20, 2006 5:14 pm
Location: Chicago

Re: Winter 2018-19 is coming

Post by Unagi » Fri Jan 25, 2019 9:28 am

pr0ner wrote:
Fri Jan 25, 2019 1:47 am
If that forecast holds, it will literally be the coldest weather I have ever experienced.
I'm seriously impressed with how warm you've kept yourself your whole life.

14 degree's would be your record low!?

Jeff V
Posts: 30872
Joined: Fri Oct 15, 2004 7:17 pm
Location: Nowhere you want to be.

Re: Winter 2018-19 is coming

Post by Jeff V » Fri Jan 25, 2019 9:34 am

pr0ner wrote:
Fri Jan 25, 2019 9:25 am
14 is shorts and a t-shirt weather. Suuuuuuure.
Yep. Didn't say I'm going to the beach though (I'm not a kid anymore, did do that back in my teens).

Compared to what we have now, 14 degrees would be a heat wave and feel rather comfortable.

The worst thing about sub-zero cold though is my walk-in beer cooler malfunctions. I can't leave beer in there all day but I'll have to hope it chills the beer fast enough after work for visitors expected for dinner.

User avatar
pr0ner
Posts: 13917
Joined: Mon Dec 06, 2004 3:00 pm
Location: Northern Virginia, VA
Contact:

Re: Winter 2018-19 is coming

Post by pr0ner » Fri Jan 25, 2019 9:37 am

Unagi wrote:
Fri Jan 25, 2019 9:28 am
pr0ner wrote:
Fri Jan 25, 2019 1:47 am
If that forecast holds, it will literally be the coldest weather I have ever experienced.
I'm seriously impressed with how warm you've kept yourself your whole life.

14 degree's would be your record low!?
For a high temp? Yes. And did you see the 4 degrees forecast for a low on Wednesday?
Hodor.

User avatar
Unagi
Posts: 16851
Joined: Wed Sep 20, 2006 5:14 pm
Location: Chicago

Re: Winter 2018-19 is coming

Post by Unagi » Fri Jan 25, 2019 11:15 am

I get it, it's certainly cold (not as cold as we've got it, but that's cold).
What's remarkable is that you've never seen any temperatures colder than that Your Whole Life... and I don't think you live in Florida. (I pictured you living where the temp could certainly drop lower than what you showed, I'll just say it that way).


I'd need to give some thought as to the coldest temperatures I've been outside in. It's like -25 or something like that... perhaps even lower. Either it was here in Chicago or up on some mountain in Colorado/Utah.

I'm gonna go out on a limb and guess you have no exposure to skiing or snowboarding, else you'd have stumbled on these temperatures before.

User avatar
Unagi
Posts: 16851
Joined: Wed Sep 20, 2006 5:14 pm
Location: Chicago

Re: Winter 2018-19 is coming

Post by Unagi » Fri Jan 25, 2019 11:16 am

pr0ner wrote:
Fri Jan 25, 2019 9:37 am
Unagi wrote:
Fri Jan 25, 2019 9:28 am
pr0ner wrote:
Fri Jan 25, 2019 1:47 am
it will literally be the coldest weather I have ever experienced.
14 degree's would be your record low!?
For a high temp? Yes.
Just need to point out that what you describe is your literal record low.... not your 'record low High Temp'. Not sure why I feel the need to correct you on that.

User avatar
Isgrimnur
Posts: 58863
Joined: Sun Oct 15, 2006 12:29 am
Location: Dallas, TX
Contact:
Isgrimnur’s avatar
Snooze

Re: Winter 2018-19 is coming

Post by Isgrimnur » Fri Jan 25, 2019 11:25 am

Unagi wrote:
Fri Jan 25, 2019 11:15 am
I'm gonna go out on a limb and guess you have no exposure to skiing or snowboarding, else you'd have stumbled on these temperatures before.
And yet he plays hockey.
Silver - 2k

Autobots and Starfleet officers — we fight together!

Jeff V
Posts: 30872
Joined: Fri Oct 15, 2004 7:17 pm
Location: Nowhere you want to be.

Re: Winter 2018-19 is coming

Post by Jeff V » Fri Jan 25, 2019 11:45 am

Unagi wrote:
Fri Jan 25, 2019 11:15 am
I get it, it's certainly cold (not as cold as we've got it, but that's cold).
What's remarkable is that you've never seen any temperatures colder than that Your Whole Life... and I don't think you live in Florida. (I pictured you living where the temp could certainly drop lower than what you showed, I'll just say it that way).


I'd need to give some thought as to the coldest temperatures I've been outside in. It's like -25 or something like that... perhaps even lower. Either it was here in Chicago or up on some mountain in Colorado/Utah.

I'm gonna go out on a limb and guess you have no exposure to skiing or snowboarding, else you'd have stumbled on these temperatures before.
-27 on January 20, 1985. Friends were over for a poker game that night, we ordered pizza and tipped the delivery guy a shot of hot Apple Jack. 3 am I had to give everyone's car a jump - all of them died because of the cold.

2 days later I went for a swim in Lake Michigan (wasn't intentional).

User avatar
pr0ner
Posts: 13917
Joined: Mon Dec 06, 2004 3:00 pm
Location: Northern Virginia, VA
Contact:

Re: Winter 2018-19 is coming

Post by pr0ner » Fri Jan 25, 2019 12:36 pm

Isgrimnur wrote:
Fri Jan 25, 2019 11:25 am
Unagi wrote:
Fri Jan 25, 2019 11:15 am
I'm gonna go out on a limb and guess you have no exposure to skiing or snowboarding, else you'd have stumbled on these temperatures before.
And yet he plays hockey.
Inline hockey, not ice hockey. :lol:
Hodor.

User avatar
Isgrimnur
Posts: 58863
Joined: Sun Oct 15, 2006 12:29 am
Location: Dallas, TX
Contact:
Isgrimnur’s avatar
Snooze

Re: Winter 2018-19 is coming

Post by Isgrimnur » Fri Jan 25, 2019 12:41 pm

Ah. :D
Silver - 2k

Autobots and Starfleet officers — we fight together!

User avatar
Z-Corn
Posts: 3789
Joined: Mon Oct 18, 2004 4:16 pm
Location: GR, MI

Re: Winter 2018-19 is coming

Post by Z-Corn » Fri Jan 25, 2019 12:54 pm

pr0ner wrote:
Fri Jan 25, 2019 9:25 am
14 is shorts and a t-shirt weather. Suuuuuuure.
I saw a guy walking through downtown yesterday morning about 7:30 AM in shorts. It was 6 degrees. He had a prosthetic leg. I could tell that because of the shorts.

Pretty sure he was homeless, so he'd been out in it all night. IN SHORTS!

User avatar
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator
Posts: 45556
Joined: Fri Oct 15, 2004 3:08 pm
Location: Urbs in Horto, where we only use the old smilies

Re: Winter 2018-19 is coming

Post by LawBeefaroni » Fri Jan 25, 2019 12:57 pm

Rumpy wrote:
Mon Jan 21, 2019 6:34 pm
-20C with -40C Windchill at the moment.
We're at about -20 with -30 WC. (That's -3/-20 F for the more enlightened.)

Finally get to wear my winter gear. About time.


Edit: woah, wrong page but temp still stands.
" Hey OP, listen to my advice alright." -Tha General
"No scientific discovery is named after its original discoverer." -Stigler's Law of Eponymy, discovered by Robert K. Merton

MYT

User avatar
Rumpy
Posts: 8225
Joined: Sun Mar 27, 2005 6:52 pm
Location: Sudbury, Ontario, Canada

Re: Winter 2018-19 is coming

Post by Rumpy » Fri Jan 25, 2019 2:20 pm

Yeah, about shorts, I've seen one guy out in shorts during a snow storm one day. :shock:
PC:
Intel i5 660
8GB RAM
Asus ROG 4GB 1050Ti

User avatar
Kraken
Posts: 33444
Joined: Tue Oct 12, 2004 11:59 pm
Location: The Hub of the Universe
Contact:
Kraken’s avatar
Offline

Re: Winter 2018-19 is coming

Post by Kraken » Fri Jan 25, 2019 4:43 pm

IDK what the coldest temp I've ever experienced was. I grew up in MI, so I'm sure there were some extremely cold nights...I remember walking home from school one "day" (it was dark, but still before dinnertime) and marveling at the way the snow crunched and the sound carried. But I've always been a wimp about the cold and dressed appropriately, so I don't remember it being especially painful.

I remember another unusual stretch of below-zero days when I lived in Albany, and a cold snap that lingered in Boston around 2002 or 03. I was commuting by T then and had a half-mile walk through a windswept canyon near the waterfront; that was the kind of cold when you can feel your eyeballs freezing.

The man on the radio said that we're going to get colder weather next week than we've had in quite a few years, but my browser's extended forecast only shows it getting into the teens. One of them is lying.

Jeff V
Posts: 30872
Joined: Fri Oct 15, 2004 7:17 pm
Location: Nowhere you want to be.

Re: Winter 2018-19 is coming

Post by Jeff V » Fri Jan 25, 2019 4:49 pm

Looking forward to:

MON
Snowpocalypse

TUE
JAN 29
Partly Cloudy
1°-20°
10%
WNW 17 mph 83%

WED
JAN 30
Cloudy
-6°-18°
20%
W 14 mph 82%

THU
JAN 31
Partly Cloudy
-1°-8°
20%
WSW 11 mph 75%

User avatar
Unagi
Posts: 16851
Joined: Wed Sep 20, 2006 5:14 pm
Location: Chicago

Re: Winter 2018-19 is coming

Post by Unagi » Fri Jan 25, 2019 4:52 pm

Jeff V wrote:
Fri Jan 25, 2019 4:49 pm
Looking forward to:

MON
Snowpocalypse
is that right?

User avatar
Unagi
Posts: 16851
Joined: Wed Sep 20, 2006 5:14 pm
Location: Chicago

Re: Winter 2018-19 is coming

Post by Unagi » Fri Jan 25, 2019 4:55 pm

I'm seeing (even colder high Wednesday)

Mon:
4" snow
27 | 2

Tue:
5 | -14

Wed: (oh man.)
-8 | -14

Thur:
1 | -4

Fri:
12 | 2

Jeff V
Posts: 30872
Joined: Fri Oct 15, 2004 7:17 pm
Location: Nowhere you want to be.

Re: Winter 2018-19 is coming

Post by Jeff V » Fri Jan 25, 2019 4:58 pm

Unagi wrote:
Fri Jan 25, 2019 4:52 pm
Jeff V wrote:
Fri Jan 25, 2019 4:49 pm
Looking forward to:

MON
Snowpocalypse
is that right?
Channel 5 projecting 10-12" from Sunday midnight to around noon on Monday. And I do so love it when that much snow is followed by bone-chilling cold. At least overheating while shoveling is not a problem.

I'm already warning my minions that if it comes to pass, I will be at home working on performance reviews that day.

User avatar
Unagi
Posts: 16851
Joined: Wed Sep 20, 2006 5:14 pm
Location: Chicago

Re: Winter 2018-19 is coming

Post by Unagi » Fri Jan 25, 2019 5:01 pm

The weather we just had sucked so much, we had that slush-snow / freezing rain, followed by this deep freeze, leaving huge sheets of ice on sidewalks and a REALLY shitty 'base' for shoveling future snows.

Ugh.
I don't look forward to trying to shovel on Monday.

Jeff V
Posts: 30872
Joined: Fri Oct 15, 2004 7:17 pm
Location: Nowhere you want to be.

Re: Winter 2018-19 is coming

Post by Jeff V » Fri Jan 25, 2019 5:11 pm

I shoveled on Saturday when the snow stopped, but then the winds drifted it all back on and I've not been able to clear it since. Also got the crud the snowplow left on the lower drive. Much of it is frozen ice now, and it will not thaw before this next batch of snow. I'm going to Menards after work to get an ice hoe to start breaking it up, but with current weekend plans probably won't make a dent in it until late Sunday.

With temps around 20 Monday, the snow shouldn't be too heavy, but still if we get as much as they say, I should probably do an intermediate shoveling to lessen the ordeal. Another reason I'm leaning toward working from home.

User avatar
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator
Posts: 45556
Joined: Fri Oct 15, 2004 3:08 pm
Location: Urbs in Horto, where we only use the old smilies

Re: Winter 2018-19 is coming

Post by LawBeefaroni » Fri Jan 25, 2019 5:29 pm

Unagi wrote:
Fri Jan 25, 2019 5:01 pm
The weather we just had sucked so much, we had that slush-snow / freezing rain, followed by this deep freeze, leaving huge sheets of ice on sidewalks and a REALLY shitty 'base' for shoveling future snows.

Ugh.
I don't look forward to trying to shovel on Monday.
I got one of those ice scraper things. It's great for clearing up icy footprints and tire ruts. Simply glorious. It's like a squeegee for ice.

I'll be using it this weekend to prep for Monday.

Enlarge Image
" Hey OP, listen to my advice alright." -Tha General
"No scientific discovery is named after its original discoverer." -Stigler's Law of Eponymy, discovered by Robert K. Merton

MYT

User avatar
Unagi
Posts: 16851
Joined: Wed Sep 20, 2006 5:14 pm
Location: Chicago

Re: Winter 2018-19 is coming

Post by Unagi » Fri Jan 25, 2019 5:39 pm

I seriously need one of those.

User avatar
Unagi
Posts: 16851
Joined: Wed Sep 20, 2006 5:14 pm
Location: Chicago

Re: Winter 2018-19 is coming

Post by Unagi » Fri Jan 25, 2019 5:43 pm

I have a really long driveway and a snowblower, so I actually like it when there is a big drop of snow, as it's quite satisfying getting everything cleared off... I even tend to go up and down the sidewalk and get the entire block cleared off as well.... But, yeah - the ice base changes it all and it's not fun and that makes me not want to even do it.

Jeff V
Posts: 30872
Joined: Fri Oct 15, 2004 7:17 pm
Location: Nowhere you want to be.

Re: Winter 2018-19 is coming

Post by Jeff V » Fri Jan 25, 2019 5:52 pm

LawBeefaroni wrote:
Fri Jan 25, 2019 5:29 pm
Unagi wrote:
Fri Jan 25, 2019 5:01 pm
The weather we just had sucked so much, we had that slush-snow / freezing rain, followed by this deep freeze, leaving huge sheets of ice on sidewalks and a REALLY shitty 'base' for shoveling future snows.

Ugh.
I don't look forward to trying to shovel on Monday.
I got one of those ice scraper things. It's great for clearing up icy footprints and tire ruts. Simply glorious. It's like a squeegee for ice.

I'll be using it this weekend to prep for Monday.

Enlarge Image
That would be the ice hoe I mentioned that I will try to get today. You didn't think I was referring to a frigid hooker, did you? :P

User avatar
Daehawk
Posts: 42552
Joined: Sat Jan 01, 2005 1:11 am
daehawk’s avatar
Online

Re: Winter 2018-19 is coming

Post by Daehawk » Fri Jan 25, 2019 6:26 pm

Enlarge Image
https://www.gofundme.com/please-help-di ... -wife-died ....Help for me to take care of stuff . Wife died Jan 9 2019 after 31 years. My soulmate.
---------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.
GroovAtroN, stop asking
I guess Ray Butts has ate his last pancake.
http://steamcommunity.com/id/daehawk

User avatar
Kraken
Posts: 33444
Joined: Tue Oct 12, 2004 11:59 pm
Location: The Hub of the Universe
Contact:
Kraken’s avatar
Offline

Re: Winter 2018-19 is coming

Post by Kraken » Fri Jan 25, 2019 8:33 pm

Unagi wrote:
Fri Jan 25, 2019 5:43 pm
I have a really long driveway and a snowblower, so I actually like it when there is a big drop of snow, as it's quite satisfying getting everything cleared off... I even tend to go up and down the sidewalk and get the entire block cleared off as well.... But, yeah - the ice base changes it all and it's not fun and that makes me not want to even do it.
I don't mind an occasional powdery snowfall, or even a blizzard if it all falls as snow. Hereabouts we typically get what I call a slopstorm, especially if it comes up the coast. Snow, sleet, freezing rain, rain, and then sometimes reverse the order. When it's to be followed by an arctic blast, I have a limited time to remove the heavy, heavy snow before it freezes solid. Often my snowblower chokes on it. I had to shovel our last storm in the rain. I'd guess our driveway is 100' long, and it takes forever.

User avatar
Holman
Posts: 20196
Joined: Sun Oct 24, 2004 8:00 pm
Location: Approximately Wissahickon

Re: Winter 2018-19 is coming

Post by Holman » Fri Jan 25, 2019 10:16 pm

After a disturbingly warm December and New Year in Philadelphia, we're finally getting a something a little more like winter: lows in the 20s, highs in the 40s.

I genuinely hope February gives us colder weather. A month-long mid-Atlantic winter just isn't right.
Much prefer my Nazis Nuremberged.

User avatar
pr0ner
Posts: 13917
Joined: Mon Dec 06, 2004 3:00 pm
Location: Northern Virginia, VA
Contact:

Re: Winter 2018-19 is coming

Post by pr0ner » Sat Jan 26, 2019 12:22 am

Holman wrote:
Fri Jan 25, 2019 10:16 pm
After a disturbingly warm December and New Year in Philadelphia, we're finally getting a something a little more like winter: lows in the 20s, highs in the 40s.

I genuinely hope February gives us colder weather. A month-long mid-Atlantic winter just isn't right.
I'm afraid warmer weather breaks followed by bouts of real bitter cold Arctic air as the polar vortex breaks may be the new normal for the Eastern half of North America thanks to climate change.
Hodor.

Jeff V
Posts: 30872
Joined: Fri Oct 15, 2004 7:17 pm
Location: Nowhere you want to be.

Re: Winter 2018-19 is coming

Post by Jeff V » Sat Jan 26, 2019 1:11 am

Holman wrote:
Fri Jan 25, 2019 10:16 pm
After a disturbingly warm December and New Year in Philadelphia, we're finally getting a something a little more like winter: lows in the 20s, highs in the 40s.

I genuinely hope February gives us colder weather. A month-long mid-Atlantic winter just isn't right.
Mind if I send you a box of cold?

Jeff V
Posts: 30872
Joined: Fri Oct 15, 2004 7:17 pm
Location: Nowhere you want to be.

Re: Winter 2018-19 is coming

Post by Jeff V » Mon Jan 28, 2019 10:40 am

Snow turned out to be a dud this morning. Funny, because the morning news I watch doubled up on weathermen and traffic reporters in anticipation of a horrific weather event. We had about an inch by me, about 1.5-2 across the area. Maybe a little more later today.

But Wednesday forecast is now for possible all-time record low. Forecast is -28, record is -27. With 30 mph wind driving windchills to -55 to -70. it will definitely NOT be a No-Pants Wednesday.

User avatar
TheMix
Posts: 7111
Joined: Thu Oct 14, 2004 5:19 pm
Location: Broomfield, Colorado
TheMix’s avatar
Offline

Re: Winter 2018-19 is coming

Post by TheMix » Mon Jan 28, 2019 10:42 am

We are finally getting some snow. It's coming down pretty hard right now. So you may be getting some in a day or two. It's looking like there may finally be enough accumulation for me to try out the snowblower.
Isgrimnur - Facebook makes you hate your friends and family. LinkedIn makes you hate you co-workers. NextDoor makes you hate your neighbors.

User avatar
Smoove_B
Posts: 38876
Joined: Wed Oct 13, 2004 12:58 am
Location: Kaer Morhen

Re: Winter 2018-19 is coming

Post by Smoove_B » Mon Jan 28, 2019 10:44 am

We're on alert now in NJ for a storm that's coming at some point tomorrow and ending late tomorrow night. Looks like it could potentially be more snow than all of the storms we've had so far this winter (which admittedly hasn't been all that much). I'd be happy with actual snow and not the snow/rain slush mix we've been getting. Temperatures are going down into the single digits then for the next three days, but then back up into the 40s on Sunday and into next week.

Overall, I'd say it's been a pretty mild winter so far.

Jeff V
Posts: 30872
Joined: Fri Oct 15, 2004 7:17 pm
Location: Nowhere you want to be.

Re: Winter 2018-19 is coming

Post by Jeff V » Mon Jan 28, 2019 10:53 am

We're actually expected to get rain this weekend with temps back to +40. That could be a near-70 degree swing within a couple of days.

User avatar
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator
Posts: 45556
Joined: Fri Oct 15, 2004 3:08 pm
Location: Urbs in Horto, where we only use the old smilies

Re: Winter 2018-19 is coming

Post by LawBeefaroni » Mon Jan 28, 2019 11:00 am

Jeff V wrote:
Mon Jan 28, 2019 10:40 am
Snow turned out to be a dud this morning. Funny, because the morning news I watch doubled up on weathermen and traffic reporters in anticipation of a horrific weather event. We had about an inch by me, about 1.5-2 across the area. Maybe a little more later today.

Snow was pretty appreciable in the city. I'm seeing 4-5 inches. Combined with the ice already out there and no plowing anywhere and it took me 50 minutes for a nornlmally 15 minutes commute. And I was the first one into the suite.
" Hey OP, listen to my advice alright." -Tha General
"No scientific discovery is named after its original discoverer." -Stigler's Law of Eponymy, discovered by Robert K. Merton

MYT

Jeff V
Posts: 30872
Joined: Fri Oct 15, 2004 7:17 pm
Location: Nowhere you want to be.

Re: Winter 2018-19 is coming

Post by Jeff V » Mon Jan 28, 2019 11:25 am

At 5:30. Aurora was at 0.9" and the trailing edge of the system was just pulling out of the area. I only encountered light flurries (enough for the wiper to be at it's longest interval) on my way into work. After talking to an employee who lives about 20 miles south of me, I probably would have been okay taking the main road (47) to I-88. I stayed on the streets and it took me 90 minutes, he made it in 60.

User avatar
Unagi
Posts: 16851
Joined: Wed Sep 20, 2006 5:14 pm
Location: Chicago

Re: Winter 2018-19 is coming

Post by Unagi » Mon Jan 28, 2019 11:32 am

Up in the north suburbs we got about 8 inches.
Just in from snow blowing it.
Still snowing.

Post Reply