[Movie] Bad Times at the El Royale

Everything else!

Moderators: Bakhtosh, EvilHomer3k

Jaymann

[Movie] Bad Times at the El Royale

Post by Jaymann »

Saw this today. Not a sequel. Excellent cast. The tension builds without over the top gore, and a couple twists I did not see coming. :binky: :binky: :binky: :binky: :binky: :binky: :binky:

Though wouldn't "the El Royale" translate as "the the Royale?"
Jaymann
]==(:::::::::::::>
Black Lives Matter
Fretmute

Re: [Movie] Bad Times at the El Royale

Post by Fretmute »

Jaymann wrote:Though wouldn't "the El Royale" translate as "the the Royale?"
It’s not quite as bad as the Los Angeles Angels.
stimpy

Post by stimpy »

Jaymann wrote: Fri Oct 19, 2018 7:49 pm Saw this today. Not a sequel. Excellent cast. The tension builds without over the top gore, and a couple twists I did not see coming. :binky: :binky: :binky: :binky: :binky: :binky: :binky:

What did you think it was a sequel to, Bad Times at Ridgemont High: After Graduation?
He/Him/His/Porcupine
GreenGoo

Post by GreenGoo »

I don't think he thought it was a sequel, he's saying it isn't a sequel like so many movies these days.

The commercials for this were intriguing, but I know better than to get excited about something because of advertising. I planned on seeing it and I'm glad to hear it's good. Still, will be waiting to stream it. I haven't been to a theatre in years.
Jaymann

Post by Jaymann »

stimpy wrote: Sat Oct 20, 2018 2:21 pm
Jaymann wrote: Fri Oct 19, 2018 7:49 pm Saw this today. Not a sequel. Excellent cast. The tension builds without over the top gore, and a couple twists I did not see coming. :binky: :binky: :binky: :binky: :binky: :binky: :binky:

What did you think it was a sequel to, Bad Times at Ridgemont High: After Graduation?
You mean it's not?
Jaymann
]==(:::::::::::::>
Black Lives Matter
Sudy

Post by Sudy »

I keep calling it "Bad Times at the El Dorado". And funny, I had the exact same thought regarding The Los Angeles Angels.

I went to the theatre alone to see this since Mrs. Nym kicked me out of the apartment so she could watch Thor 2 on Discord with her other Loki-friends without me making her self-conscious. But the fire alarm rang about 45 minutes into it, and the night's shows were cancelled. While I could have gone back to see it again with the ticket stub, I didn't really have the time nor want to sit through the beginning again. So I guiltily watched a poor quality pirated version on line. I figure me and the film studio are even.

I too really liked it. Jeff Bridges was excellent and John Hamm found a way to return to the period without making you think of Don Draper. While I wouldn't call it gory, the violence was definitely blunt and almost made me think of Tarantino in a bad way. But I guess violence should be shocking.

This was also the rare film I saw without first having seen the trailer, so it was nice to be completely surprised for once.

I saw a commercial on late night TV. It said, "Forget everything you know about slipcovers." So I did. And it was a load off my mind. Then the commercial tried to sell me slipcovers, and I didn't know what the hell they were. -- Mitch Hedberg
GungHo

Post by GungHo »

My wife and I go to The El Dorado Royale outside Cancun every year for our 'leave the kids at vacation'. I'm hoping this isn't a documentary...😕

But yeah interested to see this one
OR
cry in a corner that the world has come to a point where you have to pay for imaginary shit.

-Hiccup
DD*

Post by DD* »

Fretmute wrote: Sat Oct 20, 2018 2:10 pm
Jaymann wrote:Though wouldn't "the El Royale" translate as "the the Royale?"
It’s not quite as bad as the Los Angeles Angels.
Or ATM machine. Can’t even blame that one on translation.
Are you a prostitute Rip? Because you blow the margins more than a $5 hooker. -rshetts2

Much like bravery is acting in spite of fear, being a functioning adult is acting responsibly in the face of temptation. -Isg
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

I now work near the Document management group of my credit union. The number of times I hear VIN number in a day is aggravating.
It's almost as if people are the problem.
TheMix

Post by TheMix »

I'll add NIC card to that list.

On topic, I'm really looking forward to this one.

Black Lives Matter

Isgrimnur - Facebook makes you hate your friends and family. LinkedIn makes you hate you co-workers. NextDoor makes you hate your neighbors.
em2nought

Post by em2nought »

Flying All Nippon Airways always gives me a chuckle :mrgreen:
Enlarge Image
Stop funding for NPR