R.I.P oachim Rønneberg ...destroyer of Nazi heavy water

Everything else!

Moderators: Bakhtosh, EvilHomer3k

Daehawk

R.I.P oachim Rønneberg ...destroyer of Nazi heavy water

Post by Daehawk »

https://boingboing.net/2018/10/22/sabot ... -nuke.html

What is Nazi heavy water some of you ask.......German nuclear program. If not for this guy the Germans may have well beat the US to the bomb. He has died at age 99. What a life eh?

Enlarge Image
The following year, Ronneberg chose a team of five other commandos in an Allied operation codenamed Gunnerside.

"We were a gang of friends doing a job together," he told the BBC during the 70th anniversary of the mission.

The men parachuted on to a plateau, skied across country, descended into a ravine and crossed an icy river before using the railway line to get into the plant and set their explosives.

"We very often thought that this was a one way trip," he said.

After the explosion, the men escaped into neighbouring Sweden by skiing 320km (200 miles) across Telemark - despite being chased by some 3,000 German soldiers.

With a wry smile, Ronneberg described it as "the best skiing weekend I ever had".
Damn good on ya mate.
--------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.
I guess Ray Butts has ate his last pancake.
http://steamcommunity.com/id/daehawk
"Has high IQ. Refuses to apply it"
Rumpy

Re: R.I.P oachim Rønneberg ...destroyer of Nazi heavy water

Post by Rumpy »

Huh, I just ironically finished up the novel The Saboteur just last week which is all about this secret operation in question where he was featured, then I went and bought a Norwegian miniseries called The Heavy Water War based on those events.So, for me, it's quite interesting timing. It's a fascinating operation, really. And what's amazing is, they apparently got in and got out without having to fire a single shot. Almost sounds like a videogame kind of thing.

Heavy water was used to separate the isotopes needed to make their atomic bomb. Neutrino Observatories have also used heavy water to observe how neutrinos behave.
PC:
Ryzen 5 3600
32GB RAM
2x1TB NVMe Drives
GTX 1660 Ti