[Movie] Wolfenstein, er...Overlord

Everything else!

Moderators: Bakhtosh, EvilHomer3k

Jaymann

[Movie] Wolfenstein, er...Overlord

Post by Jaymann »

Anyone else see this? 85% on Rotten. About exactly what you would expect, but some decent mindless entertainment.
Jaymann
]==(:::::::::::::>
Black Lives Matter
Brian

Re: [Movie] Wolfenstein, er...Overlord

Post by Brian »

Wife and I saw it yesterday. It was fun and exactly what we were expecting.

The thing that really struck us was, in certain scenes and lines of dialog, how much Wyatt Russell looked/sounded exactly like his father.
"Don't believe everything you read on the internet." - Abraham Lincoln
stimpy

Post by stimpy »

What makes it an R rating?
My Grandson is 15 and I'm not comfortable taking him if there is nudity.
He/Him/His/Porcupine
Jaymann

Post by Jaymann »

stimpy wrote: Sun Nov 11, 2018 7:20 pm What makes it an R rating?
Mostly violence. A Nazi tries to have his way with a woman but is interrupted.

Trivia tidbit: There was a general in WWII named Blaskowitz, unfortunately he was of the German persuasion.
Jaymann
Black Lives Matter
mori

Post by mori »

Boobs are bad but violence is good?
stimpy

Post by stimpy »

mori wrote: Sun Nov 11, 2018 7:38 pm
Boobs are bad but violence is good?
Cartoonish violence is. I'll leave the sex ed stuff to his parents.
He/Him/His/Porcupine
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

You’re more comfortable giving the kid nightmares than you are presenting him the chance to get a boner?

Sometimes I agree with Europeans. We have weird values. :wink:
He won. Period.
Unagi

Post by Unagi »

all things considered... I'm sure he'd actually rather give his grandson a nightmare than a boner.
:coffee:
GreenGoo

Post by GreenGoo »

Nudity isn't too big a deal, but simulated sex is a bit much for me to allow my kids to watch.

Particularly if it's less love making and more carnal acts. Context matters, but so does how abstracted it is.

Two people in love under covers and the covers moving a little is probably ok.

Guy hiring a hooker to lick his taint? not so much.

Semi-related, I watch Southpark with my 11yo daughter as per her choice. Some episodes are actually not much worse than Simpsons. Some others though...I tell her to cover her ears or I mute it or change the channel. Or cover her eyes.

There have been a few episodes that we simply couldn't watch as the objectionable content was the entire subject of the episode.

Watching it through my daughter's eyes, you really notice just how obsessed the creators are with feces. Like, every second episode has shit spraying from someone's ass.

She likes the music and sings along. Tonight's episode included the jackin' it song. She's not allowed to sing that one. :wink:. She's not sure why.
MonkeyFinger

Post by MonkeyFinger »

Brian wrote: Sun Nov 11, 2018 6:39 pm Wife and I saw it yesterday. It was fun and exactly what we were expecting.
Same here.

And as noted, there's no nudity but there is "bloody violence, disturbing images, brief sexual contents, and language throughout".
-mf
Brian

Post by Brian »

And by "bloody violence" it means seeing the result of a guy getting his skull crushed after repeated rifle butt blows to the face. Like, a LOT of them.
"Don't believe everything you read on the internet." - Abraham Lincoln
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

But his shirt stays on, right!?!?
He won. Period.
GreenGoo

Post by GreenGoo »

hepcat wrote: Mon Nov 12, 2018 4:19 pm But his shirt stays on, right!?!?
Hah. I'm just now watching season 2 of Westworld and it is amazing to me that it's 2018 and it is surprising and noteworthy that full frontal male nudity is still something of a taboo even in an R rated made for adults non-cable content. I gave it some thought and I came up with some ideas, but honestly I have no actual idea what is going on with that.

For the record, graphic caving in a skull with repeated rifle butt blows is beyond my limits for my kids as well. Ok, maybe not the 14 year old, but the other two, for sure.
Unagi

Post by Unagi »

So, my wife explains it thusly: No one really wants to see a dick on screen. Not (most) guys, not (most) girls.

/shrug
GreenGoo

Post by GreenGoo »

Not many people want to see a skull smashed in in great detail and HD either.

I get what she's saying, I just don't think it's the reason, even if the sentiment is true.

There is an aversion there that goes beyond a lack of interest.
Unagi

Post by Unagi »

I believe her point was that there was an aversion by both men and women to seeing a penis. Not merely a lack of interest.

not to beat this to death.

:ninja:
GreenGoo

Post by GreenGoo »

Well that I can agree with, but the question I was pondering was why that aversion exists. I have what I would consider a relatively mild aversion as well, personally. I can't even answer why that is on my own personal level, let alone society's.

It's almost certainly cultural, and seems to exist in most western countries. Maybe it has religious origins? It's some sort of sin organ?

Tell your wife that she doesn't know jackin'it shit about it.

Ok, that was laboured. Sorry. Sorry everyone. My bad.
Unagi

Post by Unagi »

Perhaps Samantha Bee said it best:

"Men, I'm sorry to break this to you... But your dick is ugly. No one wants to see your dick, in any context. Even the straightest, horniest woman that loves you the most is hoping you can get it inside her without her having to look at it."

hepcat

Post by hepcat »

Unagi wrote: Mon Nov 12, 2018 8:47 pm So, my wife explains it thusly: No one really wants to see a dick on screen. Not (most) guys, not (most) girls.

/shrug
Did you really think she was going to tell you otherwise, man? It’s the same thing when you tell her that Scarlett Johansson ain’t THAT good looking. Or that you love having your mother in law stay with you.
He won. Period.
GreenGoo

Post by GreenGoo »

Personally I think vaginas are uglier, and I say that as an uncomfortably straight male who loves vagina with every fiber of his being.

Obviously I'm in the minority.

But again, that argument is just "no one wants to see it" except movies that strive for authentic emulation of reality show us all sorts of things we don't want to see. Things that only a psychopath wants to see. But it's part of storytelling. Lack of male frontal nudity has gone from being the norm to conspicuously absent.

It's like watching a world war 2 movie that contains exactly zero Nazi symbols or references nazis in any way.

I'm not saying I want to see it, I'm saying it's reality, it exists, and you have to work pretty hard to exclude it from your reality based fiction. Particularly if the story is romantic or sexual in nature.

That we all think (I'm including myself here) it's reasonable, normal, and unnoteworthy that we as a society are literally pretending it doesn't exist feels like it's 1950's television where a married couple's bedroom has two single beds on opposite sides of the room.

It's kind of ridiculous in the same way when viewed objectively.
Unagi

Post by Unagi »

GreenGoo wrote: Mon Nov 12, 2018 10:13 pm Personally I think vaginas are uglier, and I say that as an uncomfortably straight male who loves vagina with every fiber of his being.
uglier, or just also ugly
Unagi

Post by Unagi »

GreenGoo wrote: Mon Nov 12, 2018 10:13 pm
That we all think (I'm including myself here) it's reasonable, normal, and unnoteworthy that we as a society are literally pretending it doesn't exist feels like it's 1950's television where a married couple's bedroom has two single beds on opposite sides of the room.

It's kind of ridiculous in the same way when viewed objectively.
Think of how acceptable it is for men (on this very board) to make fun of Trump for having small hands (small penis) and how often the 'dick must be small' punch is thrown. None of that would be accpetable around here if we were listening to someone mock HRC for having too small breasts...
Perhaps, in the industry, guys don't want other guys to whip it out ? I dunno?
GreenGoo

Post by GreenGoo »

Oh, and you can see some earlier cultures had no problem with male nudity through their art and such. Did those cultures want to see dicks in the same way that we don't want to see dicks? If so, what changed to make us different from them?

Why is the question I keep returning to. Why?

I'm not an anthropologist. Maybe the answer is obvious to them.

Maybe I'm a neophyte pondering the wonders of arithmetic, while anthropologists have long moved past calculus.
GreenGoo

Post by GreenGoo »

More ugly. That doesn't make dicks attractive.

And we as men absolutely do not want other men whipping their dicks out, in general. That's still not the answer to pretending it doesn't exist in our visual storytelling.

Oddly, we don't have the same aversion to it in our written entertainment/books. So it's not like it's the topic that is the problem.

Ok, it was just a passing thought while watching Westworld.

Enough navel gazing from me.

How about that...Wolfenstein, was it?
Jaymann

Post by Jaymann »

Wolfenstein whipped his out, but it was so ugly they beat his head in with a rifle butt.
Jaymann
Black Lives Matter
GreenGoo

Post by GreenGoo »

Jaymann wrote: Mon Nov 12, 2018 10:45 pm Wolfenstein whipped his out, but it was so ugly they beat his head in with a rifle butt.
Holy shit.

I find myself strangely compelled to see this movie. Throw in an uglier vagina and we have ourselves a movie!
gbasden

Post by gbasden »

GreenGoo wrote: Mon Nov 12, 2018 10:13 pm Personally I think vaginas are uglier, and I say that as an uncomfortably straight male who loves vagina with every fiber of his being.
I can only imagine you've been exposed to some much uglier than normal vaginas, because some of them are downright beautiful.
GreenGoo

Post by GreenGoo »

gbasden wrote: Tue Nov 13, 2018 3:13 pm
I can only imagine you've been exposed to some much uglier than normal vaginas, because some of them are downright beautiful.
See, the problem is that that is your dick talking. My dick talks too, but sometimes my mind retains a small amount of control. They are attractive in the same way that a sucking chest wound is attractive. That I am completely mesmerized by them doesn't change that fact.

Wall of Vaginas

I've linked the webpage because I don't want to cause issues for anyone at work or whatever.

Enjoy your vagina gazing.
coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

I may be alone in that I would rather see a dick than crushed skull. I'm on the straight end of the spectrum. Yeah, I think it's a spectrum. A dick is just a thing. Almost half the people on earth have them. You should have gotten over it by high school. Seeing someone get their skull beaten to a pulp is grotesque and wholly unnecessary. Even if you want to show that it was a brutal killing, keeps the brain splatter off camera please. I'm not what you'd call a delicate flower. I just don't need to see it. The shit they showed in the walking dead season finale with Negan a couple years ago was over the line for me and I'm not big on lines.
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

coopasonic wrote: Tue Nov 13, 2018 3:30 pm The shit they showed in the walking dead season finale with Negan a couple years ago was over the line for me and I'm not big on lines.
Agreed. And this is coming from someone playing the Sniper Elite series with the killcam still turned on.
It's almost as if people are the problem.
GreenGoo

Post by GreenGoo »

Isgrimnur wrote: Tue Nov 13, 2018 3:39 pm
coopasonic wrote: Tue Nov 13, 2018 3:30 pm The shit they showed in the walking dead season finale with Negan a couple years ago was over the line for me and I'm not big on lines.
Agreed. And this is coming from someone playing the Sniper Elite series with the killcam still turned on.
Holy shit. *runs out to find the season finale of walking dead to see what all the fuss is about*

My first instinct is that after many seasons of continually working to keep the audience horrified, that escalation of grotesquery was a natural if unfortunate result of an ongoing series about a horrific undead invasion. As the finale is often supposed to be climatic as well, the grotesquery had to be off the chart to even have an impact on their viewers.
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

I officially declare this thread

DDDDDEEEEEEEERAILED!
He won. Period.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

hepcat

Post by hepcat »

That silver knob under the face. That's not a penis, is it?
He won. Period.
Vorret

Post by Vorret »

I'd rather see nudity than gratuitous (think it's the right word?) violence as long as it makes sense. Then again, in some movie, violence is fine and expected (Saving private ryan is a good example of some very graphic scenes that make the movie what it is).
Isgrimnur wrote:
His name makes me think of a small, burrowing rodent anyway.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

hepcat wrote: Tue Nov 13, 2018 4:59 pm That silver knob under the face. That's not a penis, is it?
The results of a misspent public education, ladies and gentlemen!
Jaymann

Post by Jaymann »

Saving Private Ryan is no Wolfenstein!
Jaymann
Black Lives Matter
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

Schindler's List, Saving Private Ryan...films like that need the violence in order to truly get across the realities of their situations. I honestly can't imagine either of those films having the same emotional impact in many scenes without it. But those watching those scenes aren't invited to cheer a hero performing the violence, they're recoiling in horror at what cruelty humans are capable of enacting. They're cautionary, not celebratory.
He won. Period.
Rumpy

Post by Rumpy »

Isgrimnur wrote: Tue Nov 13, 2018 3:39 pm
Seems to me that TV and movies are increasing their violence depictions when tonally it could be done just as well just by implying. But no, these days it needs to be shown. Shock value. Outlander season 1 had at least two episodes that spent large amounts of time on torture, and while I understand why it was done for story reasons, I felt it went a bit overboard on it. Those episodes ended up being fast-forwarded through as we didn't need to see the extent they were focusing on it. We got it, they were tortured. It's all about intent.
PC:
Ryzen 5 3600
32GB RAM
2x1TB NVMe Drives
GTX 1660 Ti
GreenGoo

Post by GreenGoo »

Stories need to be told with as much violence and nudity or lack thereof as the teller decides they require.

As a consumer of art, you get to have an opinion, and that opinion can be used to influence future art, either through social or financial pressures.

We're all art critics. But that's all we are. The artist is the final arbiter. You can argue that his financiers are, but barring contract responsibilities, the artist is free to accept their input or walk away.

I've read lots of books that I didn't like, one way or another. Not sure I've ever second guessed a writer, but probably.

Still, it's his art, I'm just the audience.