Football and Turkey Day 2018

Everything else!

Moderators: Bakhtosh, EvilHomer3k

Jeff V

Football and Turkey Day 2018

Post by Jeff V »

Anyone care to share their plans for the holiday?

As we have for every year since my wife has been here (6), we are going to one of her friend's house for dinner. I will make 2 turkeys, kielbasa and kraut, and cranberries for the occasion. A 12-pk of Celebration Ale is in my walk-in beer cooler ready for drinking.

Procuring the turkeys was more of an effort than it should have been. The store offering the best price on their house brand (Meijer) had approximately no turkeys available under that brand nor for the advertised price. Not wanting to spend several times more, I went to another store, Jewel, that advertised a slightly more expensive deal. And they had plenty of turkeys, but also a catch. The advertised price required $25 in purchases (ugh, already bought everything else at Meijer) and there was a limit of one, meaning I had to go to another location, spend another $25 to get a turkey for less than $5 (these turkeys would have been $25 a piece at regular price, so yeah, it was worth the effort). I would have liked them to be more similar in size, though - the first one I bought was 14 lbs, at the second store, everything was either under 12 lbs or more than 17 lbs. A 2 lb difference is significant considering I'll be roasting them side by side.

Wife has to work that night, so it'll be eat-and-run, catching the late game at home.
Black Lives Matter
dbt1949

Re: Football and Turkey Day 2018

Post by dbt1949 »

I plan on sitting in the pumpkin patch one more night waiting for the Great Pumpkin.
Ye Olde Farte
Double Ought Forty
aka dbt1949
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

We get to host the BIL+family, so 7 for dinner.
It's almost as if people are the problem.
pr0ner

Post by pr0ner »

Not everyone eats turkey on Thanksgiving.
Hodor.
ImLawBoy
Forum Admin

Post by ImLawBoy »

pr0ner wrote: Mon Nov 19, 2018 3:25 pm Not everyone eats turkey on Thanksgiving.
Not everyone watches football on Thanksgiving, either. Still, they are common enough activities on Thanksgiving that everyone knew what Jeff meant in his post title.
That's my purse! I don't know you!
Jaymann

Post by Jaymann »

Bears at Lions might actually be interesting.
Jaymann
]==(:::::::::::::>
Black Lives Matter
pr0ner

Post by pr0ner »

ImLawBoy wrote: Mon Nov 19, 2018 3:38 pm
pr0ner wrote: Mon Nov 19, 2018 3:25 pm Not everyone eats turkey on Thanksgiving.
Not everyone watches football on Thanksgiving, either. Still, they are common enough activities on Thanksgiving that everyone knew what Jeff meant in his post title.
Oh, I know what he meant, because I know about Jeff's weird nomenclature for holidays.

I was just pointing out that not everyone (aka me) eats turkey for Thanksgiving.

Carry on.
Hodor.
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

Jaymann wrote: Mon Nov 19, 2018 3:53 pm Bears at Lions might actually be interesting.
Interesting if you take a drink every time Stafford ends up knocked on his ass and slam a whole beverage time it's Mack who does it.

Aside from that I don't think I'll have much interest in watching.

I'm not sure why it's weird to to refer to Thanksgiving by turkey. It would be more wierd to me not to. I'm trying to picture any Turkey Day holiday episode that doesn't prominently feature a turkey and I'm coming up blank (so far)
Z-Corn

Post by Z-Corn »

pr0ner wrote: Mon Nov 19, 2018 3:54 pm
Oh, I know what he meant, because I know about Jeff's weird nomenclature for holidays.

I was just pointing out that not everyone (aka me) eats turkey for Thanksgiving.

Carry on.
Not every year is 2018 either, so that's some bullshit right there.
naednek

Post by naednek »

And they are wrong for not doing so :P
hepcat - "I agree with Naednek"
Jaymann

Post by Jaymann »

Z-Corn wrote: Mon Nov 19, 2018 5:19 pm

Carry on.
And the football goes on into the night, so I call double bullshit.
Jaymann
Black Lives Matter
Scuzz

Post by Scuzz »

We will host dinner, this year we are doing it earlier than most. More for the ease of my father in law than anything else. But it does mean I will probably get to relax a little earlier in front of the tube.

We are just 6 people for dinner, so nothing to fancy.
Black Lives Matter
pr0ner

Post by pr0ner »

naednek wrote: Mon Nov 19, 2018 5:29 pm
If you tried my lasagna (and egg nog pie!) you would say otherwise!
Hodor.
naednek

Post by naednek »

pr0ner wrote: Mon Nov 19, 2018 5:59 pm
naednek wrote: Mon Nov 19, 2018 5:29 pm
If you tried my lasagna (and egg nog pie!) you would say otherwise!
I'm sure I'd love it, but not on Thanksgiving. Well I'd hate the egg nog pie, because I hate egg nog, but Lasagna is good :)
hepcat - "I agree with Naednek"
GreenGoo

Post by GreenGoo »

Can you tell who the plant is in the thread?

One of these Americans is not like the others.

Just teasing. It's possible that this might be a sore spot, and if it is, I apologize.

Still, turkey is the freakin' best. We did not have a turkey this year. :(
dbt1949

Post by dbt1949 »

Canadian bacon?
Ye Olde Farte
Double Ought Forty
aka dbt1949
YellowKing

Post by YellowKing »

Going to be a bit smaller affair this year as we have several family regulars that will be out of town. But that's fine with me.

We're doing the traditional turkey and trimmings. We're trying to cut back this year as everyone brings a dish but nobody wants to take leftovers home. We're usually left with enough food to feed an army that we have to toss. This year we scaled back the turkey and will be doing most of the cooking ourselves so we can somewhat control the quantity.

I'm looking forward to a fairly stress-free holiday this year, as we've already gotten the bulk of the kids' Christmas shopping done. So no Black Friday madness for me. Just looking forward to a nice 4-day weekend.
Z-Corn

Post by Z-Corn »

Jaymann wrote: Mon Nov 19, 2018 5:41 pm
Z-Corn wrote: Mon Nov 19, 2018 5:19 pm

Carry on.
And the football goes on into the night, so I call double bullshit.
You know what my man Jaymann? You are absolutely correct!

Mods please lock this thread.
Z-Corn

Post by Z-Corn »

We're having a small Wildfowl Appreciation Summit 2018 this year.

That's what my family calls it "Wildfowl Appreciation Summit 2018". We call it that no matter what year it falls on so you can see this will be a special year where the year and the name finally match. It's taken 72 years but we've made it.

Just my wife and I, my Dad and my nephew. Buncha losers with nowhere else to go...

I'm cooking everything. EVERYTHING. Nobody helps at all. No offers to bring a dish. "Hey let me bring the crudites!

Nope, doesn't happen.

I'm doing a turkey breast because it's so few people. Apple miso pistachio dressing because only savages stuff, green bean casserole, corn, mashed potatoes, kick-ass gravy, kick-ass cranberry sauce. And I'm baking a sweet potato pie and a pecan pie. I'll whip real cream.

Football will be watched.
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

Dinner in the 'burbs tomorrow. In-laws on Thursday. 100th birthday festivities (not mine) over the weekend.
" Hey OP, listen to my advice alright." -Tha General
"No scientific discovery is named after its original discoverer." -Stigler's Law of Eponymy, discovered by Robert K. Merton

MYT
Jeff V

Post by Jeff V »

YellowKing wrote: Tue Nov 20, 2018 12:39 am So no Black Friday madness for me. Just looking forward to a nice 4-day weekend.
I never get Shopping Day off. My boss lifts his leg on every holiday week throughout the year and bans me or my peer from taking off at the same time. Most of the staff took the day off though. I don't mind, really, since what people are here tomorrow (Wednesday) will be gone by 3 and Friday by 2, so they are easy, partial days anyway. Shopping for Presents Day will be done online as usual. Saturday though it'll be above freezing and the best day to put out Xmas decorations.
Black Lives Matter
Remus West

Post by Remus West »

LordMortis wrote: Mon Nov 19, 2018 4:16 pm
Jaymann wrote: Mon Nov 19, 2018 3:53 pm Bears at Lions might actually be interesting.
Interesting if you take a drink every time Stafford ends up knocked on his ass and slam a whole beverage time it's Mack who does it.
That sounds like a good way to end up needing your stomach pumped to me. Still, I'll be watching the game. Albiet very sober while doing so.
“As democracy is perfected, the office of president represents, more and more closely, the inner soul of the people. On some great and glorious day the plain folks of the land will reach their heart's desire at last and the White House will be adorned by a downright moron.” - H.L. Mencken
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

Remus West wrote: Tue Nov 20, 2018 10:14 am
LordMortis wrote: Mon Nov 19, 2018 4:16 pm
That sounds like a good way to end up needing your stomach pumped to me. Still, I'll be watching the game. Albiet very sober while doing so.
The Lions get the first two game of the season out of me every year, where I am primed and ready for a nap. If they don't hold me and I spend my Lions time napping, I pretty much end up NFL free for the rest of the year. I've been that way since year two of the Caldwell years, I think. I'd like to say I've spent my Sundays largely doing yardwork but the reality is football Sunday has become all day video game/movies and laundry day. Kinda like how we had HOMM3 day when you lived in Portland. It would actually be kinda cool to find a regular Sunday virtual board game/TBS group who play casually like we did with HOMM3.
Remus West

Post by Remus West »

Now I miss HOMM3. :cry:
“As democracy is perfected, the office of president represents, more and more closely, the inner soul of the people. On some great and glorious day the plain folks of the land will reach their heart's desire at last and the White House will be adorned by a downright moron.” - H.L. Mencken
Jag

Post by Jag »

Heading to NY from FL to see my sister and family. Like to expose my kids to fall weather since we have only 2 seasons down here (hot and bearable). Also my oldest heads to college next year, so probably won't be traveling for Turkey day again.

Family has lots of Michigan alum in so it's been a tradition to watch them get beat by Ohio on Saturday. Maybe this year will be different (I don't actually care, I went to a mediocre SUNY school).
stimpy

Post by stimpy »

Jeff V wrote: Mon Nov 19, 2018 2:45 pm Anyone care to share their plans for the holiday?

As we have for every year since my wife has been here (6), we are going to one of her friend's house for dinner. I will make 2 turkeys, kielbasa and kraut, and cranberries for the occasion. A 12-pk of Celebration Ale is in my walk-in beer cooler ready for drinking.

Procuring the turkeys was more of an effort than it should have been. The store offering the best price on their house brand (Meijer) had approximately no turkeys available under that brand nor for the advertised price. Not wanting to spend several times more, I went to another store, Jewel, that advertised a slightly more expensive deal. And they had plenty of turkeys, but also a catch. The advertised price required $25 in purchases (ugh, already bought everything else at Meijer) and there was a limit of one, meaning I had to go to another location, spend another $25 to get a turkey for less than $5 (these turkeys would have been $25 a piece at regular price, so yeah, it was worth the effort). I would have liked them to be more similar in size, though - the first one I bought was 14 lbs, at the second store, everything was either under 12 lbs or more than 17 lbs. A 2 lb difference is significant considering I'll be roasting them side by side.

Wife has to work that night, so it'll be eat-and-run, catching the late game at home.
A friend of mine that owns a bar is taking donations of Thanksgiving food items for local Vets. I was going there last Friday after the Hawks game, so I decided to stop by the local Jewel and pick up a frozen turkey. Like you said, a $25 purchase got you a turkey for $0.39 per pound. I figured what I'd do was buy 1 turkey at regular price that was over $25 then get another one for the cheaper price. I brought the 2 turkeys up to the register. She rang them up and they both came up at $0.39 per pound, or $6 each. I told her that it was a mistake and that one of them should be regular price. She said, "Nope....thats what they're ringing up as". So I said hang on and went and grabbed 2 more. Out the door with 4 turkeys for about $20. God bless America.
He/Him/His/Porcupine
Jeff V

Post by Jeff V »

WTG Stimpy! So even their "limit 1" was a sham.

So I'll try this next year and probably find myself at the register paying $100 for 2 turkeys. :P
Black Lives Matter
stimpy

Post by stimpy »

Jeff V wrote: Tue Nov 20, 2018 11:31 am WTG Stimpy! So even their "limit 1" was a sham.

So I'll try this next year and probably find myself at the register paying $100 for 2 turkeys. :P
Afterwards I was wondering if I should feel bad, but I clearly pointed out the ad to her. Plus, they were going to a good cause anyway.
Although when I told my Mom about what happened, she seemed irked that I didn't grab her 1 at that price. Never mind that I had offered to do so before and she flat out refused, saying she didn't want to cook and that she was perfectly content with the city supplied meal being delivered to her doorstep.
He/Him/His/Porcupine
GreenGoo

Post by GreenGoo »

This would make the perfect football thread to put an unskippable video of whatsisname's leg being shattered.
Jaymann

Post by Jaymann »

Next we'll see a click bait of Top 10 Football Leg Shatterings of All Time.
Jaymann
Black Lives Matter
coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

I'm going to pr0ner's place.

Turkey is the second worst thing about Thanksgiving dinner. The worst being time spent with family away from my video games. I am going to try to improve that by bringing along a new board game acquisition, Costume Party Assassins.

I do like several of the sides so dinner isn't a total loss. I have no interest in football or pretty much any other sport that I am not participating in.
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
hentzau

Post by hentzau »

The traditional Hentzau Thanksgiving.
“We can never allow Murania to become desecrated by the presence of surface people. Our lives are serene, our minds are superior, our accomplishments greater. Gene Autry must be captured!!!” - Queen Tika, The Phantom Empire
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Its an hour into Thanksgiving here now so Happy Thanksgiving all! Eat until you pass out. Its the only way to do it.
--------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.
I guess Ray Butts has ate his last pancake.
http://steamcommunity.com/id/daehawk
"Has high IQ. Refuses to apply it"
$iljanus
Forum Moderator

Post by $iljanus »

Spending it with friends at their house on Martha's Vineyard which for the past 4 Thanksgiving saved us from a horrid commute to family. Turkey just popped in the oven and my popular butternut squash soup is ready for lunch to tide us over. Even with these ridiculous times in our country there is much to be thankful for in our family and being part of such a wonderful community of virtual friends for so many years is one of the things I'm thankful for. I hope everyone has a great Thanksgiving and has something to be thankful for.
Black lives matter!

Wise words of warning from Smoove B: Oh, how you all laughed when I warned you about the semen. Well, who's laughing now?
dbt1949

Post by dbt1949 »

All ready fixed it, ate it, and cleaned up after it. Including boning the turkey.
Now to start all the new games I bought yesterday. It took until a couple of hours ago to install it all. Went all night.
Ye Olde Farte
Double Ought Forty
aka dbt1949
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

We're home this year for Thanksgiving and I'm not saddled with entertaining my MIL. I hate to sound like a cliched spouse, but yeah...I'm thankful. It's going to be a quiet day. I'll roast up a turkey breast later but it'll just be a nice relaxing holiday for a change. With the cold weather here (it's in the low 20s outside), I've got the fire roaring. Might have a scotch (or three) and perhaps entertain a good sipping gin. Happy turkey day to you all.
Maybe next year, maybe no go
Madmarcus

Post by Madmarcus »

Thanksgiving is over except for the leftovers. Black Friday isn't a thing here so it's been a relaxing morning if coffee and pie for breakfast before trying to fix the smoker.

Sent from my Moto G (5) Plus using Tapatalk

mori

Post by mori »

This year I am spending it alone. Today I had breakfast for lunch. Soft set eggs is the way to go. Cooking a batch of green chili to eat in a little bit. Tomorrow is work if I choose. And I guess I have apologies to make this weekend to some women in my life even though I feel I did nothing wrong. That might have something to do with why I am alone on Thanksgiving :violin: .
Jaymann

Post by Jaymann »

We had three generations together enjoying turkey, ham and all the trimmings. Then we played chess and Mario Kart with boring football in the background.
Jaymann
Black Lives Matter
Pyperkub

Post by Pyperkub »

Had a storm come in and I didn't feel up to cooking so we went out tonight. Me and Mrs. Kub:Image
Black Lives definitely Matter Lorini!

Also: There are three ways to not tell the truth: lies, damned lies, and statistics.