[TV] SyFy's Nightflyers

Everything else!

Moderators: Bakhtosh, EvilHomer3k

rittchard

[TV] SyFy's Nightflyers

Post by rittchard »

Did anyone else catch this last night? Part 2 airs tonight.

It's based on an old GRR Martin novella, and I guess there was a movie version in 1987 which I never saw.

First episode was pretty intense, I enjoyed it quite a bit. They've blended a lot of interesting sci-fi and horror elements, not sure how many of those were from the original material or not. I'm really curious what they are planning to do with it logistically given the way the series begins.
Spoiler:
I had already read the story begins with everyone being dead so I wasn't surprised, but I'm not sure how you would sustain a series like that. At some point you'd have to catch up to the point they show in the first scene. Now of course what we saw was only a couple of the main stars killing each other, so it's possible other people are still alive, but I'm pretty sure the interview I read implied everyone was dead.
Anyway, curious if anyone else is watching/interested.
Smoove_B

Re: [TV] SyFy's Nightflyers

Post by Smoove_B »

I have it DVR'd, but I didn't watch it yet. Not sure if I'm going to watch it nightly or just binge them all at once (I know they're airing it nightly). I've heard mixed things, but I have zero expectations so I'm hopeful.
Maybe next year, maybe no go
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

rittchard. The name seems familiar. I just can't quite remember from where...

:P
He won. Period.
$iljanus
Forum Moderator

Post by $iljanus »

I've heard mixed things as well but I liked the first episode well enough so suck it critics...at least for the first episode. It certainly has that Event Horizon vibe for sure.

Some speculation about the aliens that they're trying to contact. Not really spoilerish I think but I'll use spoiler tags anyway.
Spoiler:
So the presence of aliens was known for a while, hence the mission, but there were numerous attempts at communication which went unanswered. I think the aliens are trying to avoid contact because they've been taken over by some malevolent force. Their ship even changed their trajectory to veer away from the Nightflyer's course. I'm also thinking it's an automated response because the forward thinking aliens who might have set up such a response were probably horribly killed. Also there was talk of a previous mission that went "into the void" but never came back. The mission planners really should have dug up some old 20th century sci-fi movies...
Black lives matter!

Wise words of warning from Smoove B: Oh, how you all laughed when I warned you about the semen. Well, who's laughing now?
Lassr

Post by Lassr »

Watched the first week and I am enjoying it so far. There is A LOT going on so hopefully it all gets wrapped up neatly in the end.
The only reason people get lost in thought is because it's unfamiliar territory.

Black Lives Matter
$iljanus
Forum Moderator

Post by $iljanus »

Lassr wrote: Fri Dec 07, 2018 11:30 am Watched the first week and I am enjoying it so far. There is A LOT going on so hopefully it all gets wrapped up neatly in the end.
Well just some conjecture but if current state of affairs on the ship continues...
Spoiler:
Having the entire cast go screaming to their deaths in a fit of madness and despair would qualify as wrapping things up in the end...
Also about those aliens...
Spoiler:
With a little time space hand waving they could just be the future Nightflyer trying to warn themselves off and avoid whatever unpleasantness fate has in store for them.
In the middle of watching episode 6 and...
Spoiler:
Yikes I kind of shriveled up and became protective of my lower parts as I watched a certain scene... :shock:
Black lives matter!

Wise words of warning from Smoove B: Oh, how you all laughed when I warned you about the semen. Well, who's laughing now?
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

Cancelled:
Nightflyers will not fly again for Syfy.

The NBCUniversal-owned cable network has opted to cancel the expensive space drama based on the George R.R. Martin novella after one season. The cancellation arrives as one of its leads just booked a series regular role in a broadcast pilot.
I watched it, but it lost me about 1/2 through. I think it was edited weird and sometimes it felt like they were intentionally trying to stretch out the show to 10 episodes (whatever it was). I think it had potential, but not as a multi-week mini series. If they actually aired it weekly, I think it would have been even worse; blasting through it every night was probably the smartest move.
Maybe next year, maybe no go
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

While I enjoyed it, it did take some time and effort to get to that state. So while I would've enjoyed seeing a bit more on the aliens, I'm not really going to miss the show.
He won. Period.
$iljanus
Forum Moderator

Post by $iljanus »

And they lived happily ever after in a hell dimension of their choosing!
Black lives matter!