Avengers: End Game

Everything else!

Moderators: Bakhtosh, EvilHomer3k

msteelers

Re: Avengers: End Game

Post by msteelers »

Jaymann wrote: Wed May 01, 2019 2:44 pm My understanding is Gomorrah came back when Black Widow preempted her being sacrificed. If they want to save BW they could preempt her.
That's not correct. The Gamora that went over the cliff is still dead. There's no way to get our Black Widow back.
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

msteelers wrote: Wed May 01, 2019 2:54 pm
Jaymann wrote: Wed May 01, 2019 2:44 pm My understanding is Gomorrah came back when Black Widow preempted her being sacrificed. If they want to save BW they could preempt her.
That's not correct. The Gamora that went over the cliff is still dead. There's no way to get our Black Widow back.
Until the next film, that is.
Covfefe!
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

Think of it this way: Events in a single time line are linear for the person in that timeline. A ray coming from a point. You do A, B, C, and D. If you go back later and interfere with yourself and prevent C, you personally still did A, B, C, and D. There's just a different version of yourself that only did A and B.

Since we're looking at a group of characters from a single timeline, the events of the past still happened. The characters who died are still dead. Thanos still gathered the stones and snapped, then got beheaded.

For Gamora, we had a Gamora who did A, B, and C, where C is 'die falling off a cliff.' They went back and got Gamora who had only done A so far, and she rode along with Thanos into our series of events. Since she had turned on Thanos, she apparently wasn't included in whatever birthday wish Tony made when he blew out his candle, and was stuck. So there is now a Gamora, who is dead, who did A, B, and C. There is also a Gamora who is alive who did A, then skipped straight to E ( or B, from her perspective.)

tl;dr: Every change they made in the past essentially created a completely different reality in which that thing had always been different. New Gamora is the Gamora from a reality where the events of everything since the start of Guardians hadn't yet happened. Cap lived out his life in a reality in which things were different for him and Peggy, then came back to ours after she'd died and he knew people would be waiting for him in order to make sure his legacy (Cap) survived.
(˙pǝsɹǝʌǝɹ uǝǝq sɐɥ ʎʇıʌɐɹƃ ʃɐuosɹǝd ʎW)
Jaymann

Post by Jaymann »

There's no way to get our Black Widow back.
To quote the great philosopher, Homer Simpson, "Close Enough."
Jaymann
]==(:::::::::::::>
Black Lives Matter
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

I look forward to the Cronenberg Marvel Earth.
It's almost as if people are the problem.
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

Jaymann wrote: Wed May 01, 2019 3:17 pm
There's going to be one person who saw Guardians 1 and 2, won't see Endgame, and then will be thoroughly confused by Gamora in Guardians 3.
Black Lives Matter.
Punisher

Post by Punisher »

msteelers wrote: Wed May 01, 2019 2:51 pm
hepcat wrote: Wed May 01, 2019 2:38 pmI'm still a little confused over Nebula. Future N shot Past N right in the chest and I assumed she died. But Future N stuck around? Is that because of that throwaway line from earlier in the film in which Hulk tried to explain that once you travel to the future, your past self becomes your future self...or whatever the heck he said?

Same thing with Gomorrah. She's back now? I don't recall seeing her on the GoG ship at the end there, so is she with them?
It wasn't a throwaway line, it was the rules of time travel in this movie. You can't change your own past. When future Nebula blasted past Nebula, it took past Nebula out of the alternate 2014 timeline, but it didn't affect our timeline at all.

And the Gamora that was restored is not our Gamora from the films. This is the 2014 version from right before the events of the original Guardians movie. She came forward in time with 2014 Thanos, and is presumably still in our timeline. It's probably a safe bet that the third Guardians film will involve searching for her and trying to bring her back into the group.
They hinted at this at the end when Quill was searching for her on the screen before Thor came over and swiped left
All yourLightning Bolts are Belong to Us
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

El Guapo wrote: Wed May 01, 2019 3:44 pm
Jaymann wrote: Wed May 01, 2019 3:17 pm
There's going to be one person who saw Guardians 1 and 2, won't see Endgame, and then will be thoroughly confused by Gamora in Guardians 3.
They'll have to have a recap flashback of some sort.
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

Punisher wrote: Wed May 01, 2019 3:45 pm
hepcat wrote: Wed May 01, 2019 2:38 pmI'm still a little confused over Nebula. Future N shot Past N right in the chest and I assumed she died. But Future N stuck around? Is that because of that throwaway line from earlier in the film in which Hulk tried to explain that once you travel to the future, your past self becomes your future self...or whatever the heck he said?

Same thing with Gomorrah. She's back now? I don't recall seeing her on the GoG ship at the end there, so is she with them?
It wasn't a throwaway line, it was the rules of time travel in this movie. You can't change your own past. When future Nebula blasted past Nebula, it took past Nebula out of the alternate 2014 timeline, but it didn't affect our timeline at all.

And the Gamora that was restored is not our Gamora from the films. This is the 2014 version from right before the events of the original Guardians movie. She came forward in time with 2014 Thanos, and is presumably still in our timeline. It's probably a safe bet that the third Guardians film will involve searching for her and trying to bring her back into the group.
They hinted at this at the end when Quill was searching for her on the screen before Thor came over and swiped left
Why isn't she with them now?
Black Lives Matter.
Jaymann

Post by Jaymann »

El Guapo wrote: Wed May 01, 2019 3:51 pm
Punisher wrote: Wed May 01, 2019 3:45 pm

Why isn't she with them now?
She decided a tree was a better option?
Jaymann
Black Lives Matter
JCC

Post by JCC »

A buddy of mine at work has theorized that alt-Gamora may have been dusted by Stark's snap. Did anyone spot her after the snap? For all Stark may have known she was on Thanos' side.
Black Lives Matter

"You know, the very powerful and the very stupid have one thing in common: they don't alter their views to fit the facts; they alter the facts to fit their views." - The 4th Doctor
Punisher

Post by Punisher »

JCC wrote: Wed May 01, 2019 5:39 pm A buddy of mine at work has theorized that alt-Gamora may have been dusted by Stark's snap. Did anyone spot her after the snap? For all Stark may have known she was on Thanos' side.
I really cant see them doing that at all. This was their chance to bring her back...sort of.. No way are they going to drop it.
Pyperkub

Post by Pyperkub »

JCC wrote: Wed May 01, 2019 5:39 pm A buddy of mine at work has theorized that alt-Gamora may have been dusted by Stark's snap. Did anyone spot her after the snap? For all Stark may have known she was on Thanos' side.
I seem to recall a scene during the fight where she and Nebula talked (the "That idiot" scene), which I have an impression that she switched sides during the fight.
Black Lives definitely Matter Lorini!

Also: There are three ways to not tell the truth: lies, damned lies, and statistics.
Pyperkub

Post by Pyperkub »

hepcat wrote: Wed May 01, 2019 2:38 pm It was an okay Hulk, but I would've preferred a regression to savage Hulk during the big battle.

Anyway...

I saw it yesterday and enjoyed it a great deal. But unlike Infinity Wars, I don't have any burning desire to watch it again in the foreseeable future. I think that's because it was less spectacle driven and more story driven. That's a good thing for one viewing, but it makes it less so (for me, at least) for additional viewings. Beyond the big battle, it was almost understated throughout.

I also immediately thought "WTF" when they showed Peter walking down the high school hall greeting his best friend at the end...who hasn't changed one bit in 5 years. But I chalked it up to his also getting ashed and just returning.

I think they've drawn themselves into a corner with Captain Marvel. She's too powerful for this non-cosmic stuff, so they have to send her away for major portions of any earth bound film so she doesn't simply solve everything by flying through it.

I thought the Cap ending was perfect. The Tony Stark ending felt less so. It was almost perfunctory in its execution. I would've preferred something other than the traditional heroic death scene. But that's probably just because I'm personally sick of them.

Fat Thor was great. Especially since they didn't take the easy way out and make him thin and buff 20 minutes after they reconnected with him in some magical mumbo jumbo deus ex machina move. There's a ton (pardon the pun) of folks complaining about fat shaming on the internet though. Ah well, can't make a fat omelette without breaking a few fat eggs, I guess.

BW and Hawkeye have been family for the entire run, so I had no issue with that sacrifice scene. They've gone out of their way to show how close she is to him and his family more than once.

I'm still a little confused over Nebula. Future N shot Past N right in the chest and I assumed she died. But Future N stuck around? Is that because of that throwaway line from earlier in the film in which Hulk tried to explain that once you travel to the future, your past self becomes your future self...or whatever the heck he said?

So much for that scene in which someone tries to explain they can't bring back everybody. Sure seems like you can.

But I loved it even with my loving gripes and grievances. They sure know how to create a universe, I'll give 'em that.
RE: Captain Marvel - with Adam Warlock being created at at the end of Guardians v2, I think they'll be ok.

RE: Hulk - as a comic book reader from long ago, not currently up on all the Hulk mythos, does he still get stronger the angrier he gets? It doesn't seem like he gets that way in the movies.

Also: There are three ways to not tell the truth: lies, damned lies, and statistics.
Pyperkub

Post by Pyperkub »

Side note - I like how they actually showed Peter's Spidey sense finally.

IMHO, it's a really important part of his powers which they haven't been able to incorporate properly yet (but with
Spoiler:
Mysterio
as the primary villain in the next Spidey movie (I think, despite trying to stay away from any information), it could be really important.

hepcat

Post by hepcat »

Oh man, I’m chompin’ at the bit for some Jim Starlin Warlock action. I hope they add in Pip the Troll to boot.
Covfefe!
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

Why does Spider-Man have "spider sense"? Is there any reason to think that spiders can detect danger better than other animals?
Black Lives Matter.
Jaymann

Post by Jaymann »

El Guapo wrote: Wed May 01, 2019 10:05 pm Why does Spider-Man have "spider sense"? Is there any reason to think that spiders can detect danger better than other animals?
Apparently, unless it's a rolled up magazine.
Jaymann
Black Lives Matter
msteelers

Post by msteelers »

Pyperkub wrote:Side note - I like how they actually showed Peter's Spidey sense finally.

IMHO, it's a really important part of his powers which they haven't been able to incorporate properly yet (but with
Spoiler:
Mysterio
as the primary villain in the next Spidey movie (I think, despite trying to stay away from any information), it could be really important.
They showed it in Civil War and Infinity War, but I don’t remember it in Endgame. I’m going back on Sunday. Where do they show it?
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

El Guapo wrote: Wed May 01, 2019 10:05 pm Why does Spider-Man have "spider sense"? Is there any reason to think that spiders can detect danger better than other animals?
It's all those extra eyes.
Punisher

Post by Punisher »

Do you expect him to have bat sense? Sheeshh.. he's not Batman...
gameoverman

Post by gameoverman »

Pyperkub wrote: Wed May 01, 2019 8:36 pm
I seem to recall a scene during the fight where she and Nebula talked (the "That idiot" scene), which I have an impression that she switched sides during the fight.

I don't recall seeing her after the final snap but I do believe she'd still exist. Undoing the Thanos snap, and then snapping Thanos out of existence, neither of these things would have anything to do with alt Gamora. Stark did know Thanos killed her in the snap timeline, so I doubt he'd lump her in on Thanos's side by default. Offhand I can't remember anything in Endgame that would be enough to make him think she must die no matter what.

I was thinking about this movie and started to wonder about all the returning people. Where is all the food they need going to come from? What happens when some find out their spouse remarried in the five years? What do you do if you return to find all your belongings were sold or thrown away?
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

I doubt Tony listed everyone he snapped at the end, so it wasn't a question of 'lumping.' It was probably more like 'Thanos and his allies,' or 'the invaders.' It was her switching sides (which she clearly did) that saved her. And no, they didn't show her, but they went out of the way to bring her back, then used her as the likely setup for the next asGuardians movie, so it's pretty unlikely that they just de-existed her.
Punisher

Post by Punisher »

gameoverman wrote: Wed May 01, 2019 10:50 pm I was thinking about this movie and started to wonder about all the returning people. Where is all the food they need going to come from? What happens when some find out their spouse remarried in the five years? What do you do if you return to find all your belongings were sold or thrown away?
What happens when they realize they STILL have to wait for the next Game of Thrones book to come out?

But I suspect that they will address some of this in Spider-Man... Or possibly in the next Marvel movie/TV show.. Possibly Agents of Shield..
It seems too obvious for them to not address.
Jaymann

Post by Jaymann »

gameoverman wrote: Wed May 01, 2019 10:50 pm

I don't recall seeing her after the final snap but I do believe she'd still exist. Undoing the Thanos snap, and then snapping Thanos out of existence, neither of these things would have anything to do with alt Gamora. Stark did know Thanos killed her in the snap timeline, so I doubt he'd lump her in on Thanos's side by default. Offhand I can't remember anything in Endgame that would be enough to make him think she must die no matter what.

I was thinking about this movie and started to wonder about all the returning people. Where is all the food they need going to come from? What happens when some find out their spouse remarried in the five years? What do you do if you return to find all your belongings were sold or thrown away?
Even worse, what if they built a freeway on the spot where you snapped out.
Jaymann
Black Lives Matter
Punisher

Post by Punisher »

Jaymann wrote: Wed May 01, 2019 11:38 pm
gameoverman wrote: Wed May 01, 2019 10:50 pm

Even worse, what if they built a freeway on the spot where you snapped out.
Thats actually a good point.. What are the location rules for the unsnappening? what if someone is standing in the same spot you unsnapped? That could get messy...
Pyperkub

Post by Pyperkub »

msteelers wrote:
Pyperkub wrote:Side note - I like how they actually showed Peter's Spidey sense finally.

Spoiler:
Mysterio
They showed it in Civil War and Infinity War, but I don’t remember it in Endgame. I’m going back on Sunday. Where do they show it?
That's right, it was infinity war, in the bus. Got them confused.

JCC

Post by JCC »

I know Gamora switched sides. The question is did Tony know she switched sides? I don't remember if Tony ever even met her (alt-Gamora). Presumably if Tony thought "Take out Thanos and all the minions he brought with him" when snapping, it's possible Gamora might have been caught up in that.

I don't really think she got dusted, but I thought it was an interesting idea. But I agree that alt-Gamora will likely end up in GotG 3.
Black Lives Matter

"You know, the very powerful and the very stupid have one thing in common: they don't alter their views to fit the facts; they alter the facts to fit their views." - The 4th Doctor
msteelers

Post by msteelers »

If the Russo’s wanted to dust her they would show it.

If James Gunn wants her gone for Guardians 3 he could always film a scene showing her getting dusted, but I’m going to put the odds of that happening at 0.09%.
Unagi

Post by Unagi »

And that's not entirely correct either. Apparently you don't really die - you go a live in the Soul Stone. prime-Gomorrah and BW are together.
Unagi

Post by Unagi »

JCC wrote: Thu May 02, 2019 6:30 am I know Gamora switched sides. The question is did Tony know she switched sides? I don't remember if Tony ever even met her (alt-Gamora). Presumably if Tony thought "Take out Thanos and all the minions he brought with him" when snapping, it's possible Gamora might have been caught up in that.

I don't really think she got dusted, but I thought it was an interesting idea. But I agree that alt-Gamora will likely end up in GotG 3.
It would be as BH said. "Take out Thanos and his allies"... The stone would 'know' which side Gamora was on.

Gamora/Gomorrah ?
noxiousdog

Post by noxiousdog »

Unagi wrote: Thu May 02, 2019 9:06 am
JCC wrote: Thu May 02, 2019 6:30 am I know Gamora switched sides. The question is did Tony know she switched sides? I don't remember if Tony ever even met her (alt-Gamora). Presumably if Tony thought "Take out Thanos and all the minions he brought with him" when snapping, it's possible Gamora might have been caught up in that.

It would be as BH said. "Take out Thanos and his allies"... The stone would 'know' which side Gamora was on.

Gamora/Gomorrah ?
I like this idea that the stones are powerful enough to cut out half the universe nearly instantaneously, but not powerful enough to know who is supporting Thanos.
Black Lives Matter

"To wield Grond, the mighty hammer of the Federal Government, is to be intoxicated with power beyond what you and I can reckon (though I figure we can ball park it pretty good with computers and maths). Need to tunnel through a mountain? Grond. Kill a mighty ogre? Grond. Hangnail? Grond. Spider? Grond (actually, that's a legit use, moreso than the rest)." - Peacedog
Jaymann

Post by Jaymann »

noxiousdog wrote: Thu May 02, 2019 9:27 am

Gamora/Gomorrah ?
I like this idea that the stones are powerful enough to cut out half the universe nearly instantaneously, but not powerful enough to know who is supporting Thanos.
And what if there were some people in the general populace thinking, "You know that Thanos guy really had the right idea." Snap.
Jaymann
Black Lives Matter
noxiousdog

Post by noxiousdog »

Jaymann wrote: Thu May 02, 2019 9:32 am
noxiousdog wrote: Thu May 02, 2019 9:27 am

Gamora/Gomorrah ?
And what if there were some people in the general populace thinking, "You know that Thanos guy really had the right idea." Snap.
I believe it would happen exactly how the next writer puts it in the script.
Black Lives Matter

"To wield Grond, the mighty hammer of the Federal Government, is to be intoxicated with power beyond what you and I can reckon (though I figure we can ball park it pretty good with computers and maths). Need to tunnel through a mountain? Grond. Kill a mighty ogre? Grond. Hangnail? Grond. Spider? Grond (actually, that's a legit use, moreso than the rest)." - Peacedog
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

Gamora/Gomorrah ?
I can't imagine Tony needing to know. In fact, given the numbers and chaos, and the tiny bit of time he had to do it in, even Tony Stark wouldn't be able instantly conceive of every person involved and their allegiances. He provides the will. It would have to be up to the stone to understand that will and interpret it (which is a little scary when you're wanting to precision-kill thousands.)
Torfish

Post by Torfish »

Great movie. My family decided to see it again this weekend. We rarely ever see movies twice in the theater. This is definitely a multi-watch-in-the-theater worthy movie. It exceeded my high expectations.
msduncan

Post by msduncan »

msteelers wrote: Mon Apr 29, 2019 5:52 pm
Jaymann wrote: Mon Apr 29, 2019 5:42 pm Can anyone explain how Captain A was able to wield Thor's hammer? I remember that no one else could even pick it up. And since when is Peter Parker back in Jr. High?
Short answer: he was worthy.

Longer answer: There are two theories. One is that he was worthy of wielding the hammer in Age of Ultron but didn't want to embarrass Thor or the other Avengers. The other is that he was lying to himself and Tony about Winter Soldier killing Tony's parents. That prevented him from picking up the hammer. When he cleared the air in Civil War, and accepted responsibility, he became worthy again.
They made a big deal in the Thor movies about the hammer only allowing those who are worthy to handle it. Captain America is one of the most purely good characters in the group. The hammer deemed him worthy.
It's 109 first team All-Americans.
It's a college football record 61 bowl appearances.
It's 34 bowl victories.
It's 24 Southeastern Conference Championships.
It's 15 National Championships.

At some places they play football. At Alabama we live it.
hentzau

Post by hentzau »

msduncan wrote: Thu May 02, 2019 11:04 am
msteelers wrote: Mon Apr 29, 2019 5:52 pm
Jaymann wrote: Mon Apr 29, 2019 5:42 pm Can anyone explain how Captain A was able to wield Thor's hammer? I remember that no one else could even pick it up. And since when is Peter Parker back in Jr. High?
Short answer: he was worthy.

Longer answer: There are two theories. One is that he was worthy of wielding the hammer in Age of Ultron but didn't want to embarrass Thor or the other Avengers. The other is that he was lying to himself and Tony about Winter Soldier killing Tony's parents. That prevented him from picking up the hammer. When he cleared the air in Civil War, and accepted responsibility, he became worthy again.
They made a big deal in the Thor movies about the hammer only allowing those who are worthy to handle it. Captain America is one of the most purely good characters in the group. The hammer deemed him worthy.
Whosoever holds this hammer, if he be worthy, shall possess the power of Thor.
Thanks, Stan.
“We can never allow Murania to become desecrated by the presence of surface people. Our lives are serene, our minds are superior, our accomplishments greater. Gene Autry must be captured!!!” - Queen Tika, The Phantom Empire
Unagi

Post by Unagi »

Blackhawk wrote: Thu May 02, 2019 10:37 am

Gamora/Gomorrah ?
I can't imagine Tony needing to know. In fact, given the numbers and chaos, and the tiny bit of time he had to do it in, even Tony Stark wouldn't be able instantly conceive of every person involved and their allegiances. He provides the will. It would have to be up to the stone to understand that will and interpret it (which is a little scary when you're wanting to precision-kill thousands.)
We are agreeing, right?

Cause I'm agreeing with you, but you seem to be trying to correct me.
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

Yes, we are. It was more shoring up of the position in response to other responses. We're agreeing.

You should get that check, by the way. Agreeing with me can be an early indicator of mental illness.