Avengers: End Game

Everything else!

Moderators: Bakhtosh, EvilHomer3k

gameoverman

Re: Avengers: End Game

Post by gameoverman »

I can't help but wonder if Stark's command is something like "Thanos and his allies" what happens to people who work for Thanos against their will? How do the stones judge the moral dividing line between doing something because you want to and doing something because you have to? Or does it only go by the results, if you helped Thanos, you get snapped out? If you were being forced to help then it sucks to be you I guess.
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

Like I said, leaving it to your jewelry to determine the fate of thousands is a scary thing. I think the only thing Thanos did right was destroying the stones.
(˙pǝsɹǝʌǝɹ uǝǝq sɐɥ ʎʇıʌɐɹƃ ʃɐuosɹǝd ʎW)
msteelers

Post by msteelers »

Blackhawk wrote:Like I said, leaving it to your jewelry to determine the fate of thousands is a scary thing. I think the only thing Thanos did right was destroying the stones.
But doesn’t that doom the main MCU to a dark future, per the Ancient One?
Unagi

Post by Unagi »

gameoverman wrote: Thu May 02, 2019 3:47 pm I can't help but wonder if Stark's command is something like "Thanos and his allies" what happens to people who work for Thanos against their will? How do the stones judge the moral dividing line between doing something because you want to and doing something because you have to? Or does it only go by the results, if you helped Thanos, you get snapped out? If you were being forced to help then it sucks to be you I guess.
It would have been funny if there were a few other people Thanos-creatures spared from the snap, cowering behind some boulder during the battle, cause you know - they actually wanted nothing to do with the assault and the stones didn't target them.
wonderpug

Post by wonderpug »

Unagi wrote: Thu May 02, 2019 5:03 pm
gameoverman wrote: Thu May 02, 2019 3:47 pm I can't help but wonder if Stark's command is something like "Thanos and his allies" what happens to people who work for Thanos against their will? How do the stones judge the moral dividing line between doing something because you want to and doing something because you have to? Or does it only go by the results, if you helped Thanos, you get snapped out? If you were being forced to help then it sucks to be you I guess.
It would have been funny if there were a few other people Thanos-creatures spared from the snap, cowering behind some boulder during the battle, cause you know - they actually wanted nothing to do with the assault and the stones didn't target them.
Would Iron Man's snap have killed Thanos's space-cabbages on his retirement planet?
Unagi

Post by Unagi »

Absolutely, if they were complicit.
Jaymon

Post by Jaymon »

wonderpug wrote: Thu May 02, 2019 5:43 pm

Would Iron Man's snap have killed Thanos's space-cabbages on his retirement planet?

I am thinking No. from the cabbage point of view, Thanos was a voracious monster.
Bunnies like beer because its made from hops.
stessier

Post by stessier »

I saw it this weekend (managed to spend a whole week spoiler free!! My kids, not so much) with the family and we all loved it. They did a fantastic job with everything. I really hope they can continue the magic going forward into the next phase.

The biggest cheer in our theater came when Cap called the hammer. That was pretty great.
I require a reminder as to why raining arcane destruction is not an appropriate response to all of life's indignities. - Vaarsuvius
Global Steam Wishmaslist Tracking
Running____2014: 1300.55 miles____2015: 2036.13 miles____2016: 1012.75 miles____2017: 1105.82 miles____2018: 1318.91 miles__2019: 2000.00 miles
hentzau

Post by hentzau »

I saw it for the second time this weekend with the members of my family that hadn't seen it. If anything, I think it struck a more emotional punch with me on the second viewing. I was less trying to take in the entire film and more paying attention to the performances and setups. Great, great film.
“We can never allow Murania to become desecrated by the presence of surface people. Our lives are serene, our minds are superior, our accomplishments greater. Gene Autry must be captured!!!” - Queen Tika, The Phantom Empire
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

msteelers wrote: Thu May 02, 2019 5:02 pm
Blackhawk wrote:Like I said, leaving it to your jewelry to determine the fate of thousands is a scary thing. I think the only thing Thanos did right was destroying the stones.
But doesn’t that doom the main MCU to a dark future, per the Ancient One?
Yup. I assume that issue will be the focus of Doctor Strange 2.
Black Lives Matter.
Unagi

Post by Unagi »

hentzau wrote: Mon May 06, 2019 10:12 am I saw it for the second time this weekend with the members of my family that hadn't seen it. If anything, I think it struck a more emotional punch with me on the second viewing. I was less trying to take in the entire film and more paying attention to the performances and setups. Great, great film.
I had to choke back some tears with the 'love you 3000'. My daughter and I have something quite like that. Plus I miss my dad.

It's a great film.
Grifman

Post by Grifman »

It needs to be nothing more than "kill Thanos and his army here now". Not really all that complicated.
Tolerance is the virtue of the man without convictions. – G.K. Chesterton
Grifman

Post by Grifman »

Saw it this weekend, managed miraculously to avoid spoilers. Absolutely loved it, the ultimate capstone to all we have experienced in the MCU so far. Loved all the callbacks and fan service. Favorite moments:

1) Fat Thor - they pushed right up to the edge of camp, almost too far for me, but he was still a badass in the end
2) Ant Man coming back and seeing all the changes and finding his daughter
3) The recreation of the Winter Soldier elevator scene (though it wasn't the exact same moment in time) with CA saying "Hail Hydra"
4) The final battle sequence, when Cap stood alone, and the cavalry came charging in. The audience cheered!
5) Cap picking up Thor's hammer, whirling it like Thor does and beating the crap out of Thanos with it
6) "I am inevitable" . . . "I am Iron Man" (great call back there to when this all began)
7) Tony's funeral - who didn't have tears there?
8) Cap's ending . . . absolutely perfect for him, looking forward to Sam as the new Cap

Prediction - in a few years with some time jumps, Tony's daughter will return as the new Ironman/Woman.
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

I think the first new Iron Man we see will be the kid that was at Tony's funeral.
msteelers

Post by msteelers »

Based on the trailers they are going to make the next Iron Man be
Spoiler:
Spiderman
Grifman

Post by Grifman »

msteelers wrote: Mon May 06, 2019 11:17 am Based on the trailers they are going to make the next Iron Man be
Spoiler:
Spiderman
How do you get that?
Jaymann

Post by Jaymann »

Saw it with my son this weekend and he pointed out a major flaw:

When they brought back all the vanished with a snap, it would have been a disaster. There was no infrastructure or food to support an instant doubling of the world's population = an apocalypse of epic proportions. Same thing for the "thousands of other planets."
Jaymann
]==(:::::::::::::>
Black Lives Matter
Grifman

Post by Grifman »

Blackhawk wrote: Mon May 06, 2019 11:16 am I think the first new Iron Man we see will be the kid that was at Tony's funeral.
Could be, but I think they want more woman in the MCU and there is a female Ironperson in the comics, so this would be a natural step - let Tony's daughter follow in his footsteps.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

A new trailer dropped for Spider-Man today, and it has Endgame spoilers. I have not watched it and have no desire to do so.
It's almost as if people are the problem.
Grifman

Post by Grifman »

Jaymann wrote: Mon May 06, 2019 11:21 am Saw it with my son this weekend and he pointed out a major flaw:

When they brought back all the vanished with a snap, it would have been a disaster. There was no infrastructure or food to support an instant doubling of the world's population = an apocalypse of epic proportions. Same thing for the "thousands of other planets."
Yeah, I thought of this also - the world had adapted to a population half the size it once was. Plus people would have moved on, remarried, died in the interim, property would have been inherited, sold off, etc. It would be a huge mess without the infrastructure problems of food, housing, jobs, etc.
Grifman

Post by Grifman »

Grifman wrote: Mon May 06, 2019 11:20 am
msteelers wrote: Mon May 06, 2019 11:17 am Based on the trailers they are going to make the next Iron Man be
Spoiler:
Spiderman
How do you get that?
Ok, just saw new Spiderman trailer but I don't think it means what you do. He's going to stay Spidey, not become Ironman, IMO.
msteelers

Avengers: End Game

Post by msteelers »

Grifman wrote:
Grifman wrote: Mon May 06, 2019 11:20 am
Spoiler:
Spiderman
How do you get that?
Ok, just saw new Spiderman trailer but I don't think it means what you do. He's going to stay Spidey, not become Ironman, IMO.
Well, obviously. They aren’t going to be calling him Iron Man. Maybe a one-off mention of Iron Spider. That’s about it.

But I’d be willing to be that we don’t have a character directly called Iron Man for another 10 years.
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

Grifman wrote: Mon May 06, 2019 11:24 am
Jaymann wrote: Mon May 06, 2019 11:21 am Saw it with my son this weekend and he pointed out a major flaw:

Yeah, I thought of this also - the world had adapted to a population half the size it once was. Plus people would have moved on, remarried, died in the interim, property would have been inherited, sold off, etc. It would be a huge mess without the infrastructure problems of food, housing, jobs, etc.
I'm going to go with the theory that if the stones are pretty much capital G God level, then bringing back half the universe's population would be accompanied by the resulting necessary logistics to support that returning population.

Because

p.s. but if your spouse got remarried while you were ashy, then you're SOL.
Covfefe!
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

So many families destroyed because Tony wanted to preserve his.
Pyperkub

Post by Pyperkub »

Endgame with the blow-by!
Well it did it, Marvel Studios and Disney Pictures’ “Avengers: Endgame” has officially surpassed the $2 billion mark in its second weekend in theaters.

In record time, the film is now the second-highest grossing movie of all time with $2.188 billion globally, passing the $2.186 billion global haul of “Titanic” in just 11 days and easily smashing the $2.04 billion total haul of its own predecessor “Avengers: Infinity War”.

“Avatar,” the current highest grossing movie of all time, took 47 days to reach where ‘Endgame’ currently is. It’s expected the James Cameron-directed blue alien film will lose its long-standing position in the weeks to come.
Black Lives definitely Matter Lorini!

Also: There are three ways to not tell the truth: lies, damned lies, and statistics.
McNutt

Post by McNutt »

I would never be able to explain to my kids why Avatar was the highest-grossing move of all time. Thank you, Endgame, for not making me have that difficult discussion.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Just adjust for inflation and talk about Gone with the Wind.
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

hepcat wrote: Mon May 06, 2019 12:25 pm

I'm going to go with the theory that if the stones are pretty much capital G God level, then bringing back half the universe's population would be accompanied by the resulting necessary logistics to support that returning population.

Because

p.s. but if your spouse got remarried while you were ashy, then you're SOL.
Well, I do remember a discussion a couple of years ago that the snap killed off half of all living things - people, animals, probably even plants. The Desnapping, then, would have doubled the population, but also doubled the food sources.

Of course, scientifically neither would have worked out well, but comic books.
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

McNutt wrote: Mon May 06, 2019 1:58 pm I would never be able to explain to my kids why Avatar was the highest-grossing move of all time. Thank you, Endgame, for not making me have that difficult discussion.
You still have to explain why you named them Neytiri and Mo'at though...
Covfefe!
GungHo

Post by GungHo »

We saw it today and yep it was great. Perfect ender to the journey. Loved the way it played out for Cap; I always thought CA was super boring as a kid and I couldn't have cared less about his comics/story but in the MCU he's been my favorite(though the new Spidey is moving up the charts quickly...until they do another origin story for him anyway) but I thought that was awesome.
OR
cry in a corner that the world has come to a point where you have to pay for imaginary shit.

-Hiccup
Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

Finally got around to seeing this today. Would add a +1 to the sentiment that this was the perfect ending for this stage of the MCU.

I actually teared up a bit more when they went "peak superhero" in the final battle than I did during the ending. Watching all those characters combine like that was an absolute thing of beauty.

Regarding the ending, I only wish they hadn't panned over each of the character groups, separated by movie. I know it was a curtain call of sorts, but I actually think it would been more powerful had they all been intermingled with each other. YMMV.
When darkness veils the world, four Warriors of Light shall come.
Paingod

Post by Paingod »

Isgrimnur wrote: Mon May 06, 2019 12:36 pm So many families destroyed because Tony wanted to preserve his.
To be fair, Tony also preserved millions of other families that had emerged in the five years since the original dusting. At the cost of royally messing with the heads of everyone on both sides when lost loved ones re-materialized. All the people on planes that died when the planes fell out of the sky after the first dusting? Still dead. I don't think there was any good answer by the movie's logic - but what they did was the best answer.

I think the Spiderman Far From Home trailer where Fury is telling Spiderman that they need a "new" Iron Man is their way of saying "We need a brilliant mind to occupy this role in the global stage" and not "We need you to get into the Iron Man suit" - trying to build Spiderman up out of the neighborhood savior role and into a global hero.
Black Lives Matter

2021-01-20: The first good night's sleep I had in 4 years.
Punisher

Post by Punisher »

Paingod wrote: Mon May 20, 2019 7:33 am
Isgrimnur wrote: Mon May 06, 2019 12:36 pm So many families destroyed because Tony wanted to preserve his.
To be fair, Tony also preserved millions of other families that had emerged in the five years since the original dusting. At the cost of royally messing with the heads of everyone on both sides when lost loved ones re-materialized. All the people on planes that died when the planes fell out of the sky after the first dusting? Still dead. I don't think there was any good answer by the movie's logic - but what they did was the best answer.
I dont think this was the best answer. I think reverting the original snap so that it never happened is the best option because then it messes with nobody...technically...
the way they did it messes with everyone. both the survivors and the ones brought back. you have things were people have moved on and re-married (ala The Manifest), people have died naturally and the returnees didnt get to say their goodbyes. you have the people that were on the plane that crashed where half of them were snapped, and now they are back and lost their loved ones from the crash.

If they revert, then NONE of it happened. Including the new families and NO ONE would realize anything was wrong since the snap never happened. They wouldn't realize they lost any new family members. Yes it would suck that some of the new children would vanish, but the over all best thing is to have it so that everyone forgets permanently.
All yourLightning Bolts are Belong to Us
Jaymann

Post by Jaymann »

If the snap never happened, then the Avengers wouldn't remember that they did anything to stop it.
Jaymann
Black Lives Matter
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

Jaymann wrote: Wed May 22, 2019 12:12 am If the snap never happened, then the Avengers wouldn't remember that they did anything to stop it.
Yes they would. They'd exist in a timeline where the snap happened, then unhappened. They don't erase events from their own experience in the MCU.

There would be another set of Avengers in a universe where it never happened to begin with who'd have no idea, though.
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

Punisher wrote: Tue May 21, 2019 1:31 pm
I dont think this was the best answer. I think reverting the original snap so that it never happened is the best option because then it messes with nobody...technically...
the way they did it messes with everyone. both the survivors and the ones brought back. you have things were people have moved on and re-married (ala The Manifest), people have died naturally and the returnees didnt get to say their goodbyes. you have the people that were on the plane that crashed where half of them were snapped, and now they are back and lost their loved ones from the crash.

If they revert, then NONE of it happened. Including the new families and NO ONE would realize anything was wrong since the snap never happened. They wouldn't realize they lost any new family members. Yes it would suck that some of the new children would vanish, but the over all best thing is to have it so that everyone forgets permanently.
But by the time travel logic established in the movie, they *can't* really undo the snap - that was the point of the "strangling baby Thanos" discussion. If they tried that all that they would do is create a new divergent timeline where the snap never happened - it wouldn't fix the timeline where it did. So the Avengers could basically go live in a universe / timeline where the snap wouldn't happened, but in their original timeline (where the snap happened) everyone would still be missing half the population. By bringing things forward into the future they basically fixed the future (what hadn't happened yet), which does fix their timeline.

To the extent that any of this makes actual logical sense, anyway.
Black Lives Matter.
Punisher

Post by Punisher »

El Guapo wrote: Wed May 22, 2019 11:53 am
Punisher wrote: Tue May 21, 2019 1:31 pm

But by the time travel logic established in the movie, they *can't* really undo the snap - that was the point of the "strangling baby Thanos" discussion. If they tried that all that they would do is create a new divergent timeline where the snap never happened - it wouldn't fix the timeline where it did. So the Avengers could basically go live in a universe / timeline where the snap wouldn't happened, but in their original timeline (where the snap happened) everyone would still be missing half the population. By bringing things forward into the future they basically fixed the future (what hadn't happened yet), which does fix their timeline.

To the extent that any of this makes actual logical sense, anyway.
I could have sworn they didnt undo the snap only because Tony said not to because he didnt want to lose his family. I'll have to watch again I guess.
All yourLightning Bolts are Belong to Us
Paingod

Post by Paingod »

Punisher wrote: Wed May 22, 2019 12:40 pmI'll have to watch again I guess.
Sacrifices must be made.
Black Lives Matter

2021-01-20: The first good night's sleep I had in 4 years.
msteelers

Post by msteelers »

Paingod wrote:
Punisher wrote: Wed May 22, 2019 12:40 pmI'll have to watch again I guess.
Sacrifices must be made.
The hardest choices require the strongest wills.
Jaymann

Post by Jaymann »

You could make a whole movie about 1/2 the people snapping out at critical positions such as SAC, nuclear power plants, air traffic controllers, auto and truck drivers. Also planes where one or more pilots snap out and the survivors struggle to land safely. None of this got undone.

Not to mention the people who snapped back in at 10,000 feet.
Jaymann
Black Lives Matter