Avengers: End Game

Everything else!

Moderators: Bakhtosh, EvilHomer3k

Jaymann

Re: Avengers: End Game

Post by Jaymann »

Can anyone explain how Captain A was able to wield Thor's hammer? I remember that no one else could even pick it up. And since when is Peter Parker back in Jr. High?
Jaymann
]==(:::::::::::::>
Black Lives Matter
msteelers

Post by msteelers »

El Guapo wrote: Mon Apr 29, 2019 5:21 pm Honestly, kind of surprised that Hawkeye / Black Widow qualified. I bet Thanos is pissed that he evidently could've just sacrificed his work buddy instead of his daughter.
I think it's pretty clear from previous films that Black Widow and Hawkeye genuinely love each other.
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

msteelers wrote: Mon Apr 29, 2019 5:48 pm
El Guapo wrote: Mon Apr 29, 2019 5:21 pm Honestly, kind of surprised that Hawkeye / Black Widow qualified. I bet Thanos is pissed that he evidently could've just sacrificed his work buddy instead of his daughter.
I think it's pretty clear from previous films that Black Widow and Hawkeye genuinely love each other.
In Age of Ultron Black Widow and Banner were dating. Actually kind of surprised that the writers didn't have Black Widow and Hulk there.

I don't doubt that they have genuine affection, but I wouldn't think that would cut it for the Soul Stone. I guess it did, though.
Black Lives Matter.
msteelers

Post by msteelers »

Jaymann wrote: Mon Apr 29, 2019 5:42 pm Can anyone explain how Captain A was able to wield Thor's hammer? I remember that no one else could even pick it up. And since when is Peter Parker back in Jr. High?
Short answer: he was worthy.

Longer answer: There are two theories. One is that he was worthy of wielding the hammer in Age of Ultron but didn't want to embarrass Thor or the other Avengers. The other is that he was lying to himself and Tony about Winter Soldier killing Tony's parents. That prevented him from picking up the hammer. When he cleared the air in Civil War, and accepted responsibility, he became worthy again.
rittchard

Post by rittchard »

Unagi wrote: Mon Apr 29, 2019 1:18 pm Oh, and Pepper
Spoiler:
So... I just really think she did not belong on the battle field like that. Just seemed out of place/character/sound tactics/child-rearing, etc.

And if anyone's listening..... I'm NOT wanting a Gwyneth Paltrow follow-up movie. please no.

That being said, I'd be perfectly happy if they turned Morgan into Ironheart.
Spoiler:
I've seen a couple of complaints about Pepper, but didn't they pretty much telegraph/set this up at the end of Iron Man 3? Am I remembering wrong because I distinctly recall expecting Pepper to get her own armor after one of the movies...
TheMix

Post by TheMix »

rittchard wrote: Mon Apr 29, 2019 6:02 pm
Spoiler:
So... I just really think she did not belong on the battle field like that. Just seemed out of place/character/sound tactics/child-rearing, etc.

And if anyone's listening..... I'm NOT wanting a Gwyneth Paltrow follow-up movie. please no.

Spoiler:
I've seen a couple of complaints about Pepper, but didn't they pretty much telegraph/set this up at the end of Iron Man 3? Am I remembering wrong because I distinctly recall expecting Pepper to get her own armor after one of the movies...
Spoiler:
Don't forget Tony's quip that she never wears clothes he gets her. So of course....

Black Lives Matter

Isgrimnur - Facebook makes you hate your friends and family. LinkedIn makes you hate you co-workers. NextDoor makes you hate your neighbors.
AWS260

Post by AWS260 »

Unagi wrote: Mon Apr 29, 2019 1:25 pm My favorite line in the movie:
Spoiler:
this line just made me beam...

Captain Marvel: "Well, hello, Peter Parker." /smile

It was all in how she said it, the feeling at the moment in the movie, perhaps even the music...
Peter (laying with the glove) had just met her on the battle field and introduced himself.
And she just seemed like a vision. The way in which she said the words: "Peter Parker" just made stupid happy.

:D
Another great line:
Spoiler:
"Hail Hydra."

The whole theater laughed out loud at that one.
Pyperkub

Post by Pyperkub »

rittchard wrote: Mon Apr 29, 2019 6:02 pm
Spoiler:

Spoiler:
Spoiler:
I was left with the impression that she (Pepper) still had the Extremis powers, just stabilized, as well) based on IM3
Black Lives definitely Matter Lorini!

Also: There are three ways to not tell the truth: lies, damned lies, and statistics.
Pyperkub

Post by Pyperkub »

Chris Pratt being Chris Pratt (A bit of both...)

Slightly spoiler-y behind the scenes video from Endgame
Black Lives definitely Matter Lorini!

Also: There are three ways to not tell the truth: lies, damned lies, and statistics.
Punisher

Post by Punisher »

AWS260 wrote: Mon Apr 29, 2019 7:51 pm
Unagi wrote: Mon Apr 29, 2019 1:25 pm My favorite line in the movie:
Spoiler:
this line just made me beam...

Captain Marvel: "Well, hello, Peter Parker." /smile

It was all in how she said it, the feeling at the moment in the movie, perhaps even the music...
Peter (laying with the glove) had just met her on the battle field and introduced himself.
And she just seemed like a vision. The way in which she said the words: "Peter Parker" just made stupid happy.

:D
Another great line:
Spoiler:
"Hail Hydra."

The whole theater laughed out loud at that one.
one of my favorites...
Spoiler:
Activate Insta-Kill
All yourLightning Bolts are Belong to Us
gameoverman

Post by gameoverman »

Jaymann wrote: Mon Apr 29, 2019 5:42 pm Can anyone explain how Captain A was able to wield Thor's hammer? I remember that no one else could even pick it up. And since when is Peter Parker back in Jr. High?
I'm only going by what I saw in a previous movie and in this movie. What I saw was he moved it before, enough so that Thor was shocked. No, he did not pick it up or otherwise do anything with it, but the clear implication was that Thor was not the only one in that room who could move it. Then in this movie Thor's reaction was an "I knew it" reaction, which to me is a clear indication that simply by moving it slightly it meant he could wield it even if he didn't think he could at the time. All this time Thor has been harboring a secret suspicion that Cap could do it and finally he was proven right.
pr0ner

Post by pr0ner »

You guys really do overanalyze the crap out of movies/TV! Just go along for the ride sometimes!
Hodor.
Jaymann

Post by Jaymann »

Speaking of which, does anyone else think they ruined The Hulk? We hardly need a bulky green scientist.
Jaymann
Black Lives Matter
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

RE: The time travel rules: The only person that has any actual knowledge of mucking with the time stream is the Ancient One. Everyone else is going off of film tropes and theories.
It's almost as if people are the problem.
wonderpug

Post by wonderpug »

pr0ner wrote: Mon Apr 29, 2019 11:33 pm You guys really do overanalyze the crap out of movies/TV! Just go along for the ride sometimes!
THANK YOU! I thought I was the only one here who was able to just sit back and enjoy all the fan service awesome moments in the movie.
JCC

Post by JCC »

pr0ner wrote: Mon Apr 29, 2019 11:33 pm You guys really do overanalyze the crap out of movies/TV! Just go along for the ride sometimes!
(I am not going to spoiler tag anymore, so SPOILERS!!!!)

In my case the opposite was true. I ended up confused by the time travel because I didn't fully process the rules they established when watching the movie. Over the weekend when I "overanalyzed" I realized how their rules worked and the movie made more sense to me - except the ending with Captain America. So overanalyzing improved my opinion of the movie overall. :doh:

Either way, I went in hoping there would be no time travel, so any implementation of it was going to be somewhat disappointing to me. I'm very glad they didn't undo the snap by winding time back and changing the MCU canonical history. That would have been far worse But, I still would have preferred no time travel at all.

I still expect Vision and Black Widow will be "saved" somehow based on future movie/TV plans. I guess Black Widow's movie could be a prequel, but I think that may hurt its box office if so.
Black Lives Matter

"You know, the very powerful and the very stupid have one thing in common: they don't alter their views to fit the facts; they alter the facts to fit their views." - The 4th Doctor
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

JCC wrote: Tue Apr 30, 2019 12:56 pm
(I am not going to spoiler tag anymore, so SPOILERS!!!!)

In my case the opposite was true. I ended up confused by the time travel because I didn't fully process the rules they established when watching the movie. Over the weekend when I "overanalyzed" I realized how their rules worked and the movie made more sense to me - except the ending with Captain America. So overanalyzing improved my opinion of the movie overall. :doh:

Either way, I went in hoping there would be no time travel, so any implementation of it was going to be somewhat disappointing to me. I'm very glad they didn't undo the snap by winding time back and changing the MCU canonical history. That would have been far worse But, I still would have preferred no time travel at all.

I still expect Vision and Black Widow will be "saved" somehow based on future movie/TV plans. I guess Black Widow's movie could be a prequel, but I think that may hurt its box office if so.
They do also have the option of including Vision / Black Widow in an "alternate timeline" story. That is presumably what they're doing with Loki - probably starting off from the timeline they created in Endgame where Loki escapes NY with the Tesseract.
Black Lives Matter.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Joe Russo interview translated from a Chinese source. Massive spoilers, obv.
Jaymon

Post by Jaymon »

For Black Widow and Hawkeye, they have been partners for a long time. Love doesn't always mean romance, love can be platonic, love can be family.
Those two have seen some things, they saw them together, they survived them together. Either one would take a bullet for the other, and thats why (dramatically) they were the best choice for that mission. maybe the characters didn't know it, but the director did, and that made good a good story.

What kind of conversation would Ironman and Antman have had on that cliffside?
Bunnies like beer because its made from hops.
dbt1949

Post by dbt1949 »

You know, I've don't remember a major movie coming out with spoilers coming out as fast as this one.
Ye Olde Farte
Double Ought Forty
aka dbt1949
Jaymann

Post by Jaymann »

Another issue I had is everyone laments the loss of Black Widow, but no one even notices that Nebula did not return.
Jaymann
Black Lives Matter
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Jaymann wrote: Tue Apr 30, 2019 1:42 pm Another issue I had is everyone laments the loss of Black Widow, but no one even notices that Nebula did not return.
She was on the Milano for the ending Quill/Thor conversation.
Jaymann

Post by Jaymann »

Isgrimnur wrote: Tue Apr 30, 2019 1:44 pm
Jaymann wrote: Tue Apr 30, 2019 1:42 pm Another issue I had is everyone laments the loss of Black Widow, but no one even notices that Nebula did not return.
Right, but War Machine came back without her and nobody noticed.
Jaymann
Black Lives Matter
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Jaymann wrote: Tue Apr 30, 2019 1:47 pm
Isgrimnur wrote: Tue Apr 30, 2019 1:44 pm
Right, but War Machine came back without her and nobody noticed.
They all materialized on the platform at the same time, including original camouflaged Nebula.
JCC

Post by JCC »

More spoilers!! AVERT YOUR EYES!!!

So this article with the Russo's confirms what I have said, that CA lived with Peggy in an alternate timeline and had to travel back to the "prime" timeline to get to the bench. They are coy on exactly how he did it hinting that it may be answered in some future show/movie.

https://www.slashfilm.com/avengers-endg ... explained/
Black Lives Matter

"You know, the very powerful and the very stupid have one thing in common: they don't alter their views to fit the facts; they alter the facts to fit their views." - The 4th Doctor
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

Pym particles are apparently as easy to find as a Starbucks in the MCU.

Also, the music that played over the last 47 hours of the end credits made me want to yell, "Next week, on Matlock!".
He won. Period.
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

Just got back. Loved it. Some points:

~Hawkeye and BW needed to be together for her to die, and Hawkeye/Ronin, from what I'm told of the comics, is always involved with the soul stone. It's apparently an established thing.
~RE: Time travel. All we know is the 'explain it to the dumb guy who thinks Back to the Future is science' version. The reality is likely far more complex - like the Tony Stark version that he was mumbling about and nobody could follow. It gives them wiggle room in the future.
~RE: Spidey and age. All they had to do was say that all of his named friends were among the snapped. Then they'd all be back in school together, and all the same age. The rest of the junior class may have been sixth graders in the last film and we'd never know the difference. This may have been part of the plan all along, as it occurs to me that Gwen Stacy was several years younger than the rest when she briefly showed up in Homecoming. If she were an unsnapped, she'd be the same age as the others now.
(˙pǝsɹǝʌǝɹ uǝǝq sɐɥ ʎʇıʌɐɹƃ ʃɐuosɹǝd ʎW)
msteelers

Post by msteelers »

Gwen Stacey was in Homecoming?
wonderpug

Post by wonderpug »

msteelers wrote: Wed May 01, 2019 4:17 am Gwen Stacey was in Homecoming?
Yes, but like with MJ they took some artistic license with how she'd be represented.
Spoiler:
msteelers

Post by msteelers »

wonderpug wrote: Wed May 01, 2019 8:40 am
msteelers wrote: Wed May 01, 2019 4:17 am Gwen Stacey was in Homecoming?
Yes, but like with MJ they took some artistic license with how she'd be represented.
Spoiler:
Ah. That makes sense. Thanks!
wonderpug

Post by wonderpug »

I'm kidding! (At least, I'm not intentionally being serious!)
msteelers

Post by msteelers »

wonderpug wrote: Wed May 01, 2019 8:49 am I'm kidding! (At least, I'm not intentionally being serious!)
Nope. It's canon now. Ned is Gwen Stacey, which means we are definitely getting Spider-Ned at some point.
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

Maybe. There was a scene that shows her in the background as a cameo/easter egg, but searching now suggests that it was never officially confirmed to be her. It's a little hard to tell, as the search results a poisoned with discussion of her possible casting in the sequel.

/edit - Ah, nope. While there was a lot of buzz about it being Gwen at the time (because the actress was known and credited with an 'unannounced role' and wasn't just set dressing), it turns out that it was actually Betty Brant,
Spoiler:
Ned's love interest.
Which still works. She was much younger than the others, and would now be about the right age if they were 'held back' five years and she wasn't.
(˙pǝsɹǝʌǝɹ uǝǝq sɐɥ ʎʇıʌɐɹƃ ʃɐuosɹǝd ʎW)
stimpy

Post by stimpy »

Jaymann wrote: Tue Apr 30, 2019 12:35 pm Speaking of which, does anyone else think they ruined The Hulk? We hardly need a bulky green scientist.
Nope. Thought it was a great addition.
https://awesomehulk.fandom.com/wiki/Professor_Hulk
He/Him/His/Porcupine
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

It was an okay Hulk, but I would've preferred a regression to savage Hulk during the big battle.

Anyway...

I saw it yesterday and enjoyed it a great deal. But unlike Infinity Wars, I don't have any burning desire to watch it again in the foreseeable future. I think that's because it was less spectacle driven and more story driven. That's a good thing for one viewing, but it makes it less so (for me, at least) for additional viewings. Beyond the big battle, it was almost understated throughout.

I also immediately thought "WTF" when they showed Peter walking down the high school hall greeting his best friend at the end...who hasn't changed one bit in 5 years. But I chalked it up to his also getting ashed and just returning.

I think they've drawn themselves into a corner with Captain Marvel. She's too powerful for this non-cosmic stuff, so they have to send her away for major portions of any earth bound film so she doesn't simply solve everything by flying through it.

I thought the Cap ending was perfect. The Tony Stark ending felt less so. It was almost perfunctory in its execution. I would've preferred something other than the traditional heroic death scene. But that's probably just because I'm personally sick of them.

Fat Thor was great. Especially since they didn't take the easy way out and make him thin and buff 20 minutes after they reconnected with him in some magical mumbo jumbo deus ex machina move. There's a ton (pardon the pun) of folks complaining about fat shaming on the internet though. Ah well, can't make a fat omelette without breaking a few fat eggs, I guess.

BW and Hawkeye have been family for the entire run, so I had no issue with that sacrifice scene. They've gone out of their way to show how close she is to him and his family more than once.

I'm still a little confused over Nebula. Future N shot Past N right in the chest and I assumed she died. But Future N stuck around? Is that because of that throwaway line from earlier in the film in which Hulk tried to explain that once you travel to the future, your past self becomes your future self...or whatever the heck he said?

Same thing with Gomorrah. She's back now? I don't recall seeing her on the GoG ship at the end there, so is she with them?

So much for that scene in which someone tries to explain they can't bring back everybody. Sure seems like you can.

But I loved it even with my loving gripes and grievances. They sure know how to create a universe, I'll give 'em that.
He won. Period.
Jaymann

Post by Jaymann »

My understanding is Gomorrah came back when Black Widow preempted her being sacrificed. If they want to save BW they could preempt her.
Jaymann
Black Lives Matter
stimpy

Post by stimpy »

hepcat wrote: Wed May 01, 2019 2:38 pm It was an okay Hulk, but I would've preferred a regression to savage Hulk during the big battle.
I really thought that Hulk was gonna find his ball sack and be the one to take down Thanos.
He/Him/His/Porcupine
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

Jaymann wrote: Wed May 01, 2019 2:44 pm My understanding is Gomorrah came back when Black Widow preempted her being sacrificed. If they want to save BW they could preempt her.
Just set up a weekly rotation of folks to go back and hurl a loved one over the cliff.
He won. Period.
msteelers

Post by msteelers »

hepcat wrote: Wed May 01, 2019 2:38 pmI'm still a little confused over Nebula. Future N shot Past N right in the chest and I assumed she died. But Future N stuck around? Is that because of that throwaway line from earlier in the film in which Hulk tried to explain that once you travel to the future, your past self becomes your future self...or whatever the heck he said?

Same thing with Gomorrah. She's back now? I don't recall seeing her on the GoG ship at the end there, so is she with them?
It wasn't a throwaway line, it was the rules of time travel in this movie. You can't change your own past. When future Nebula blasted past Nebula, it took past Nebula out of the alternate 2014 timeline, but it didn't affect our timeline at all.

And the Gamora that was restored is not our Gamora from the films. This is the 2014 version from right before the events of the original Guardians movie. She came forward in time with 2014 Thanos, and is presumably still in our timeline. It's probably a safe bet that the third Guardians film will involve searching for her and trying to bring her back into the group.
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

I guess I got confused by the 212 different time travel theories that were presented by Stark, Hulk, Ant Man, a guy named Chuck who worked in craft services, the key grip, an off screen voice that sounded a lot like Ned Flanders, and a talking dog that they picked up early in the film.
He won. Period.