Game of Thrones Season 8

Everything else!

Moderators: Bakhtosh, EvilHomer3k

El Guapo

Re: Game of Thrones Season 8

Post by El Guapo »

Holman wrote: Wed Apr 17, 2019 2:28 pm Who's lord of CR right now? Some uncle?
Well, the Unsullied captured Casterly Rock during last season. Most likely some skeleton force loyal to Danaerys is still there - don't know who the nominal "Lord" is under that arrangement, although it's probably fairly loose / interim at the moment.

Although presumably one of the first orders of business for the Golden Company is going to be going around southern Westeros reclaiming places like that.
Black Lives Matter.
Jaymann

Post by Jaymann »

So, the Grey Worm?
Jaymann
]==(:::::::::::::>
Black Lives Matter
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

Lord TBD.
Black Lives Matter.
gameoverman

Post by gameoverman »

El Guapo wrote: Wed Apr 17, 2019 2:40 pm
Well, the Unsullied captured Casterly Rock during last season. Most likely some skeleton force loyal to Danaerys is still there - don't know who the nominal "Lord" is under that arrangement, although it's probably fairly loose / interim at the moment.

Although presumably one of the first orders of business for the Golden Company is going to be going around southern Westeros reclaiming places like that.
I don't know about that. Reclaiming territory means you need to also hold it after you reclaim it. This means dedicating some of your forces to that spot. There's no point to reclaiming it if the military forces leave. My impression was that Cercei was going to use them to make the capitol impregnable to everything short of an all out attack. She wants to force Dany to engage in wholesale destruction, so that she can then turn the people against the outside invaders. Dany's claim to the throne would be subverted. If Cersei sends some troops to Casterly Rock she now has that many fewer troops to protect the city. Plus now the troops at Casterly Rock are vulnerable to being attacked.
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

gameoverman wrote: Wed Apr 17, 2019 3:42 pm
El Guapo wrote: Wed Apr 17, 2019 2:40 pm

I don't know about that. Reclaiming territory means you need to also hold it after you reclaim it. This means dedicating some of your forces to that spot. There's no point to reclaiming it if the military forces leave. My impression was that Cercei was going to use them to make the capitol impregnable to everything short of an all out attack. She wants to force Dany to engage in wholesale destruction, so that she can then turn the people against the outside invaders. Dany's claim to the throne would be subverted. If Cersei sends some troops to Casterly Rock she now has that many fewer troops to protect the city. Plus now the troops at Casterly Rock are vulnerable to being attacked.
But the bulk of Dany's forces are at Winterfell. Cersei doesn't need to worry about an attack on the capitol while that's true. She has 20,000 Golden Company soldiers, in addition to whatever standing army she still has around - you figure that she can break off a significant chunk of the Golden Company to reclaim territory. If Dany's forces started moving back south, then she could pull soldiers back then.
Black Lives Matter.
The Meal

Post by The Meal »

El Guapo wrote: Wed Apr 17, 2019 2:54 pmLord TBD.
Ah, so now it's filled with STAOG?
"Better to talk to people than communicate via tweet." — Elontra
stimpy

Post by stimpy »

I really wish I could somehow not watch these last episodes week by week and just binge them.
But there is no way to avoid talk of the shows from all kinda of various sources.
He/Him/His/Porcupine
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

The Meal wrote: Wed Apr 17, 2019 4:02 pm
I'm just going to assume that this reference is hilarious and laugh accordingly.
Black Lives Matter.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

El Guapo wrote: Wed Apr 17, 2019 4:31 pm
I'm just going to assume that this reference is hilarious and laugh accordingly.
Unless it's a Linux virus, I got nothing.
It's almost as if people are the problem.
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

Isgrimnur wrote: Wed Apr 17, 2019 4:32 pm
Either that or the South Tacoma Assembly of God.
Black Lives Matter.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

El Guapo wrote: Wed Apr 17, 2019 4:35 pm
Isgrimnur wrote: Wed Apr 17, 2019 4:32 pm
Either that or the South Tacoma Assembly of God.
Keep it in R&P. :naughty:
The Meal

Greatest of all time!

Post by The Meal »

Lord TBD ► Reverse the name and change the case.

And try not to get shot on the pot.
"Better to talk to people than communicate via tweet." — Elontra
Isgrimnur

Re: Greatest of all time!

Post by Isgrimnur »

The Meal wrote: Wed Apr 17, 2019 4:38 pm Lord TBD ► Reverse the name and change the case.

And try not to get shot on the pot.
Redfive

Post by Redfive »

No way Jaime lives. In a whole series where I would be sure about nothing else-I'm sure of this. Probably.
Battle.net: red51ve#1673
Elder Scrolls Online - @redfive
ImLawBoy
Forum Admin

Post by ImLawBoy »

Redfive wrote: Wed Apr 17, 2019 5:26 pm No way Jaime lives. In a whole series where I would be sure about nothing else-I'm sure of this. Probably.
I think he'd have to die sacrificing himself (maybe saving Bran?) to complete his redemption cycle. While GoT is known for being unconventional, I'm guessing the show will wrap up at least somewhat more conventionally than Martin would write it if he ever got around to finishing the books.
That's my purse! I don't know you!
Holman

Post by Holman »

I still cling to the notion that GoT is a commentary/perversion/homage on/of/to various classic fantasy and historical archetypes.

To me Jaime is a pretty clear Lancelot figure: the best knight in the land, wounded by crime and guilt, seeking redemption. The show has invested *so much* in translating him from a villain to a hero that I can't believe he won't find heroic completion somehow.
Much prefer my Nazis Nuremberged.
Ralph-Wiggum

Post by Ralph-Wiggum »

It seems like the show is setting it up for Sansa to be on the throne at the end of it all....

Honestly, though, I hope no one ends up winning the iron throne. I don't think Dany will survive, but I think he plan to "break the wheel" does and there's no one ruler over everyone at the end.
Black Lives Matter
Holman

Post by Holman »

Prediction time! Who lives and who dies by the end of Season 8?

(These are the ones about whom I have strong expectations. Jorah? Yara? No idea.)

Lives:
Daenerys (on the throne, a bittersweet conquest)
Tyrion (he's GRRM's stand-in, after all)
Sansa (carrier of the Stark legacy)
Arya (embodiment of death)
Bran (embodiment of life)
Brienne (our Galahad, somehow)
Sam (Jon's Horatio)
Ser Davos (the people's voice in the new order)
Lord Varys (tragic observer)
Qyburn (slinks away as a GRRM denial of justice)

Dies:
Jon Snow (heroic sacrificial savior of both Targaryen and Stark legacies, welcomes second death)
The Night King (probbly killed by Jon)
Jaime (noble in the end)
Cersei (embodiment of the old Seven Kingdoms political vices)
The Hound (saving Arya, probably)
Theon (spends what he has left of his life)
Euron Greyjoy (totally killed by Yara)
gameoverman

Post by gameoverman »

El Guapo wrote: Wed Apr 17, 2019 4:00 pmBut the bulk of Dany's forces are at Winterfell. Cersei doesn't need to worry about an attack on the capitol while that's true. She has 20,000 Golden Company soldiers, in addition to whatever standing army she still has around - you figure that she can break off a significant chunk of the Golden Company to reclaim territory. If Dany's forces started moving back south, then she could pull soldiers back then.
That's kinda my point though. If you're Cersei and you send them to Casterly Rock, with the idea that if the capitol is threatened by Dany coming south you'll bring them back, what's the point of sending them in the first place? What goal does that achieve? Once upon a time Dany made a point of going to Casterly Rock, but assuming she wins in the north why would she go anywhere other than the capitol after that?
Redfive wrote: Wed Apr 17, 2019 5:26 pm No way Jaime lives. In a whole series where I would be sure about nothing else-I'm sure of this. Probably.
I agree with that. My reasons include the feeling that Jaime, who wanted to be the ultimate fighter, would not be happy post-war with one hand. He's not cut out to be in management, he needs to be in the trenches. Assuming Dany's side wins, then what for Jaime? Back to Casterly Rock to mope around? I don't think so. Dying in some redemptive act is what I see in his future.

Lives:

Tyrion, who else is qualified to clean up the mess afterwards?
Sansa, she stays in the north
Arya, she wanders off to do whatever assassins do after all their targets are dispatched
Brienne, I see her helping establish a new world order where female warriors are a thing in Westeros
Sam, it would be mean to kill him off, he's been through so much
Qyburn, I think he becomes a victim of his own ambitions in some way
morlac

Post by morlac »

El Guapo wrote: Tue Apr 16, 2019 10:38 am
hepcat wrote: Tue Apr 16, 2019 10:33 am I have to wonder how Theon was able to break the commander's ship off from the fleet, along with a few others, and then just nonchalantly sail away after freeing his sister. You'd think someone would question that.
It was night, right? If the ships are far enough apart, the sails are black...it doesn't seem entirely out of the question that they might be able to sneak onto the ship and kill the skeleton crew and take Yara and sail away. Presumably their sails look the same.

It was a little out of the blue Seal Team 6-ish for Theon, but on the other hand we don't have that much time left so I am 100% comfortable with them yadda yadda yadda'ing that rescue.

Euron's ship is called The Silence because the entire crew had their tongues cut out by him. Sneaking on and taking command of his ship was easy because...nobody could yell for help.
morlac

Post by morlac »

Man after binge watching 7 seasons in roughly 3 weeks I am so glad I did. This episode parallels the first episode in so many ways. King Robert marching to Winterfell vs Daenerys, Arya hiding and not part of the noble greeting party, "Winterfell is yours" was spoken by Ned to Robert and by Sansa to Daenerys, etc etc etc. Having that episode fresh in my mind and also having seen it prolly 4 times it was uncanny and almost creepy how well it was done. My favorite was remembering when Ned told John "when Isee you agian I will tell you all about your mother" as Sam is telling him about his real patronage in front of Ned's statue. Bonus points for them then showing John's reaction for mnthe other angle with guess who's statue behind him? It was similar to when Robert was talking to Ned in episode 1 in front Lyanna's statue saying he would kill all the Targaryen's Best call back was when Sam ask 3rd eye raven what he was doing he said "waiting for an old friend" and then Bam! there's Jamie. It was absolutely Brilliant!

Seriously, it is massively daunting but binge watching the whole series makes you really notice the brilliant writing. There are so many "throw away" lines through out the series that are great or forgotten when seen in a vacuum and then having reawatch it later knowing whats coming can take on a different meaning and seem like such an obvious foreshadow in hindsight. It really makes re watching the series incredibly awesome in a way that is rarely found in Hollywood. This series plus, not 1 but 2 Tolkien Trilogies and then the incredible 11 year linked run of MCU movies really makes me fell like we are living in some kind of Nerden Golden Age the last 15 years. I for one am not looking forward to the end of it when we get rounded up and sent to Magic The Gathering Detainment Camps because this Nirvana can not last forever, can it?
Z-Corn

Post by Z-Corn »

morlac wrote: Wed Apr 17, 2019 10:51 pm Seriously, it is massively daunting but binge watching the whole series makes you really notice the brilliant writing.
I'm sure I'll get this on Blu-Ray and revisit the whole thing. We always binge the previous season before the new season starts and it IS great for bringing the whole story together season to season.
Daveman

Post by Daveman »

My prediction...

- Jon and Dany both die tragically taking down the Night King. Their dragons die in the process as well, thus bringing an end to the Targaryen line and the new age of dragons.

- Tyrion winds up ruling the 7 Kingdoms, but not necessarily on the Iron Throne, more like a new form of government.

- Cersei dies, possibly at Jamie's hand. I hope he survives.
Z-Corn

Post by Z-Corn »

My prediction...

The last shot is the camera pulling away from a boy lying on a bed. The whole thing has been the dream of a kid dying in a cancer ward at St. Eligius Hospital.
stimpy

Post by stimpy »

Z-Corn wrote: Thu Apr 18, 2019 8:49 am My prediction...

The last shot is the camera pulling away from a boy lying on a bed. The whole thing has been the dream of a kid dying in a cancer ward at St. Eligius Hospital.
Morphine will do that to ya......
He/Him/His/Porcupine
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

I was gonna go with Newhart wakes up in bed next to the actress playing Cersei and complains about a bad dream before going back to sleep...after switching off a lamp next to his side of the bed shaped oddly like the iron throne.
He won. Period.
$iljanus
Forum Moderator

Post by $iljanus »

Bronn will sit on the Iron Throne, comment about how damn uncomfortable it is and being the practical person that he is ride away from the ruins of King's Landing with a wagon full of gold and a whore or three.

Black lives matter!

Wise words of warning from Smoove B: Oh, how you all laughed when I warned you about the semen. Well, who's laughing now?
Holman

Post by Holman »

The final episode is just an hour of GRRM not writing anything.
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

Bran stares into the Abyss...the Abyss gets nervous and moves.
He won. Period.
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

All seems to be going well until we learn that Bran's 'old friend' he's waiting for was the Night King all along.
(˙pǝsɹǝʌǝɹ uǝǝq sɐɥ ʎʇıʌɐɹƃ ʃɐuosɹǝd ʎW)
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

Better the Night King than Godot.
He won. Period.
Hrothgar

Post by Hrothgar »

I think we know how it's going to end:

Jeff V

Post by Jeff V »

Holman wrote: Thu Apr 18, 2019 10:39 am The final episode is just an hour of GRRM not writing anything.
It'll be a Seth MacFarlane-type joke where he types something on paper, crumbles it into a ball, and throws it towards a trash can. Over and over for 60-minutes.
Black Lives Matter
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

Jeff V wrote: Fri Apr 19, 2019 9:05 am
Holman wrote: Thu Apr 18, 2019 10:39 am The final episode is just an hour of GRRM not writing anything.
It'll be a Seth MacFarlane-type joke where he types something on paper, crumbles it into a ball, and throws it towards a trash can. Over and over for 60-minutes.
No, it's already been publicized that the show will end with a Climactic All-Cast Dance Number.
Black Lives Matter.
Jaymann

Post by Jaymann »

hepcat wrote: Thu Apr 18, 2019 11:15 am Better the Night King than Godot.
I predict Gadot will sit upon the iron throne.
Jaymann
]==(:::::::::::::>
Black Lives Matter
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

Apparently there's a replica of the Iron Throne at a store near my office. Quite the line outside for people waiting to see it.
Black Lives Matter.
$iljanus
Forum Moderator

Post by $iljanus »

El Guapo wrote:
No, it's already been publicized that the show will end with a Climactic All-Cast Dance Number.
I would actually enjoy a Bollywood post-credits dance ending.
Black lives matter!

Wise words of warning from Smoove B: Oh, how you all laughed when I warned you about the semen. Well, who's laughing now?
Jeff V

Post by Jeff V »

El Guapo wrote: Fri Apr 19, 2019 9:45 am
That would be so awesome if they brought back all of the dead characters for it, and the decapitated ones holding their singing heads.
Black Lives Matter
Holman

Post by Holman »

MHS

Post by MHS »

Seeing Arya naked was so uncomfortable. :|
Black Lives Matter. No human is illegal. Women's rights are human rights. Love is love. Science is real. Kindness is everything.