Moderators: Bakhtosh, EvilHomer3k

Holman

Re: Game of Thrones Season 8

Post by Holman »

S8e2:

OK, I thought that was pretty great!

Also, I have complaints.
Spoiler:
Obviously this is going to be Helm's Deep, and having a whole episode as night-before-the-battle makes a lot of sense. Lots of great character beats here.

The long last-night discussion among all the not-rulers was a great scene.

And I teared up at the knighting of Ser Brienne. I really did.

Lady Mormont deserves her own series.

Jaime is doing well as a great character even with his diminished powers.

I'm a complainer, though, so here are some bad points:

1) I really didn't need an Arya sex scene, even an implied one. I know the actress is 22, but I still can't shake the sense that the character is just 13 or 14. (How many years was she in Braavos?)

2) Daeny was miffed and petulant throughout the episode. She's losing her aura of command, and I'm not sure it's intentional.

3) The Hound continues to be criminally underused so far in season 8, and his presentation reflects none of the character arc that changed him in his most recent major episodes.

4) I've been watching season 1 again, and it is *so much* richer and more intricate than anything we've seen recently. There's really a sense of everything being on rails now. I don't think collapsing the drama of the kingdoms into a Final Epic Battle against Unambiguous Necrotic Evil is good for the tones and themes that clearly motivated the series from the beginning.
Much prefer my Nazis Nuremberged.
$iljanus
Forum Moderator

Post by $iljanus »

I enjoyed the whole Les Miserables night behind the barricades before the storm vibe. Also reminded me of Mass Effect 3 before the end...

I'll miss them when it's all over.

Giants milk! Good for your bones!
Black lives matter!

Wise words of warning from Smoove B: Oh, how you all laughed when I warned you about the semen. Well, who's laughing now?
stimpy

Post by stimpy »

4 more episodes.
Enough setup. Lets get on with it.
He/Him/His/Porcupine
Grifman

Post by Grifman »

Holman wrote: Sun Apr 21, 2019 10:18 pm
Spoiler:
4) I've been watching season 1 again, and it is *so much* richer and more intricate than anything we've seen recently. There's really a sense of everything being on rails now. I don't think collapsing the drama of the kingdoms into a Final Epic Battle against Unambiguous Necrotic Evil is good for the tones and themes that clearly motivated the series from the beginning.
Spoiler:
But that's where we've been headed all along, this is the culmination of 8 years - defeating the White Walkers and seeing who gets the Iron Throne in the end.
I'm not sure what else you're looking for at this point.
Tolerance is the virtue of the man without convictions. – G.K. Chesterton
Rumpy

Post by Rumpy »

Spoiler:

1) I really didn't need an Arya sex scene, even an implied one. I know the actress is 22, but I still can't shake the sense that the character is just 13 or 14. (How many years was she in Braavos?)
Spoiler:
Yeah, that one really bothered me, particularly since we had seen her as a kid in the first season. Just ugh!

My favourite scenes took place in front of the fireplace.
PC:
Ryzen 5 3600
32GB RAM
2x1TB NVMe Drives
GTX 1660 Ti
Jaymann

Post by Jaymann »

I just want to see Arya kick some undead ass with that spear. The Spear of Destiny.
Last edited by Jaymann on Mon Apr 22, 2019 9:42 am, edited 1 time in total.
Jaymann
]==(:::::::::::::>
Black Lives Matter
Holman

Post by Holman »

Grifman wrote: Mon Apr 22, 2019 12:30 am
Spoiler:
Spoiler:
But that's where we've been headed all along, this is the culmination of 8 years - defeating the White Walkers and seeing who gets the Iron Throne in the end.
Something less generically predictable?
MonkeyFinger

Post by MonkeyFinger »

Ah, yes... thought I recognized that voice. Florence + the Machine did the version of "Jenny of Oldstones" that played during the credits. 8-)
-mf
Jeff V

Post by Jeff V »

Rumpy wrote: Mon Apr 22, 2019 12:39 am
Spoiler:

Spoiler:
Yeah, that one really bothered me, particularly since we had seen her as a kid in the first season. Just ugh!

Spoiler:
Seeing how little cleverness is written into scripts these past few seasons, "the young warrior gets laid prior to the big battle" trope generally foreshadows said warrior not surviving the battle.

If we were to hold a death pool on who doesn't survive the battle, Arya just made my list.
Black Lives Matter
Ralph-Wiggum

Post by Ralph-Wiggum »

Predictions on who is going to bite it next episode? I think (from most to least confident):
Spoiler:
Grey Worm
Pod (less likely: Brienne)
One of Dany's dragons
Lord of Light resurrected-many-times dude
Gendry (I think Arya still has some stuff to do)
Theon
Bronn
Davos
Jaime
Benjen Stark
Black Lives Matter
MHS

Post by MHS »

Ralph-Wiggum wrote: Mon Apr 22, 2019 10:33 am Predictions on who is going to bite it next episode? I think (from most to least confident):
Spoiler:
Grey Worm
Pod (less likely: Brienne)
One of Dany's dragons
Lord of Light resurrected-many-times dude
Gendry (I think Arya still has some stuff to do)
Theon
Bronn
Davos
Jaime
Benjen Stark
Spoiler:
Agreed on Grey Worm. Dude, you never talk about happy shit like the beach, it's a sure route to being killed. Disagree on another dragon, she's already down one. Disagree 100% on Jaime, he has to kill Cersei so he has to live through this battle. Maybe Tyrion...he's been on a losing streak but I hope he lives. Brienne, Pod, Tormund, Beric, and Theon probably all die.
Black Lives Matter. No human is illegal. Women's rights are human rights. Love is love. Science is real. Kindness is everything.
Holman

Post by Holman »

With four episodes left, episode 3 can't really be the climax, although it's pretty clear that it will be a major battle.

Also, I'm pretty sure bad things are going to happen in the Crypt, because, you know, crypt.

I wonder what comes after? I'm guessing that the dead will take Winterfell, killing many of our favorite characters in the process while the others have to escape south, where Cersei waits.
Holman

Post by Holman »

MHS wrote: Mon Apr 22, 2019 10:53 am
Spoiler:
Agreed on Grey Worm. Dude, you never talk about happy shit like the beach, it's a sure route to being killed. Disagree on another dragon, she's already down one. Disagree 100% on Jaime, he has to kill Cersei so he has to live through this battle. Maybe Tyrion...he's been on a losing streak but I hope he lives. Brienne, Pod, Tormund, Beric, and Theon probably all die.
"I'm so tired of this shit. Great to know I'm retiring the day after tomorrow!"
Grifman

Post by Grifman »

Holman wrote: Mon Apr 22, 2019 7:21 am
Spoiler:
Spoiler:
That answer is too generic :)
Spoiler:
Seriously, it comes down to those two things, they are what the series has been building to for all of these seasons. What do you want, one of the leaders of the one of the factions vying for the throne to trip and fall of a castle wall in an accident and the someone win the throne by default? A unknown disease to strike the WW and they all die so no battle is required? Those certainly would not be predictable but not very exciting or interesting.

We know what is going to happen - the big if's are HOW it is going to happen. Who lives, who dies, how the WW are defeated (I'm assuming the NK doesn't end up on the throne). We also don't know what happens afterwards. Cersei has a professional army of 20,000 (but no elephants!) and a large fleet. If our heroes win an assumingly Pyrrhic victory, how do they overcome their losses? There are a lot of questions out there yet.
Grifman

Post by Grifman »

Holman wrote: Mon Apr 22, 2019 10:59 am With four episodes left, episode 3 can't really be the climax, although it's pretty clear that it will be a major battle.

Also, I'm pretty sure bad things are going to happen in the Crypt, because, you know, crypt.

I wonder what comes after? I'm guessing that the dead will take Winterfell, killing many of our favorite characters in the process while the others have to escape south, where Cersei waits.
Spoiler:
I read someone else saying that this if their prediction as to what happens. I could be wrong but I disagree. Cersei would slaughter any survivors fleeing, confident in her ability to defeat any remaining WW. That's been her plan the whole time and no one who has theorized this has given any reason why she would now change her mind and support Danys/Jon. If she wouldn't support them before, she's not going to do it now after they have been defeated.

I think the WW lose, the battle meeting outlined their strategy and I think it will pay off after many losses. But then they'll have to face Cersei and her new army in a weakened state. That will be the next challenge
Jaymann

Post by Jaymann »

Cersei is only half right:
Spoiler:
If the white walkers win, their numbers will increase by the size of the army of the North.
Jaymann
]==(:::::::::::::>
Black Lives Matter
Holman

Post by Holman »

Grifman wrote: Mon Apr 22, 2019 11:04 am
Holman wrote: Mon Apr 22, 2019 7:21 am
Spoiler:
Spoiler:
That answer is too generic :)
Spoiler:
Seriously, it comes down to those two things, they are what the series has been building to for all of these seasons. What do you want, one of the leaders of the one of the factions vying for the throne to trip and fall of a castle wall in an accident and the someone win the throne by default? A unknown disease to strike the WW and they all die so no battle is required? Those certainly would not be predictable but not very exciting or interesting.

We know what is going to happen - the big if's are HOW it is going to happen. Who lives, who dies, how the WW are defeated (I'm assuming the NK doesn't end up on the throne). We also don't know what happens afterwards. Cersei has a professional army of 20,000 (but no elephants!) and a large fleet. If our heroes win an assumingly Pyrrhic victory, how do they overcome their losses? There are a lot of questions out there yet.
I'm just talking about style. Obviously we're going to resolve the major plot strands, but somehow the show just FEELS compressed and linear now.

I think the problem is that an Army of the Evil Dead is too simple an antagonist for what the series always aspired to. Once upon a time we could relish the ambiguous range of motives, loving the colorful villains even while we hated them, but now it has become so black and white as to feel very unMartin. That's all I mean, really.

I suppose they could still come back from what I'm describing. A lot will depend on how Bran and Arya are handled, since they're kind of the last remaining mysteries as characters. (Or at least they were--it looks now like Arya is just morphing into a Ninja Warrior who took nothing away from her time with the God of Death except Mad Skillz.)

Remember I presented this complaint as a nitpick, not a denunciation. I thought episode 2 was much stronger than ep1.
Jeff V

Post by Jeff V »

Grifman wrote: Mon Apr 22, 2019 11:04 am
Spoiler:
A unknown disease to strike the WW and they all die so no battle is required?
Spoiler:
The Lord of the Light says "Let there be summer" and all of the white walkers burst into flames. Thus saved with the army of the north intact, Cersei experiences an "oh shit" moment as the dragons turn their attention south.

The remaining 3 episodes are nothing but "where are they now?" vignettes on all surviving characters (living or undead). There's a LOT of characters so it's going to take a lot of time.
Black Lives Matter
Ralph-Wiggum

Post by Ralph-Wiggum »

Holman wrote: Also, I'm pretty sure bad things are going to happen in the Crypt, because, you know, crypt.
I’ve read a prediction that
Spoiler:
the dead Starks in the crypt will rise and fight against the living. Zombie (and headless?) Ned Stark incoming?
Black Lives Matter
morlac

Post by morlac »

I predict the WWs will be dealt with by end of the 5th episode leaving the last 2 for the final Game of Thrones. It will end with the survivors founding the first Republic of Westeros thus breaking the wheel of Monarchy that have feed on the oppressed. Yea for democracy!?!.

Also, next episode will mainly foucs on flashbacks explaining the Nightking origin and motivation. I'd be suprised if the battle of Winterfell is concluded during it but we should expect some good action.
Exodor

Post by Exodor »

Jeff V wrote: Mon Apr 22, 2019 9:42 am If we were to hold a death pool on who doesn't survive the battle, Arya just made my list.[/spoiler]
Why are we spoiling predictions in a Season 8 thread?

My predictions for casualties at the Battle of Winterfell:
Spoiler:
1. Brienne - now that she's knighted I feel like her story arc is done
2. Grey Worm - He might as well have talked about being too old for this shit and have his retirement party planned
3. Gendry - I don't think they'll kill off Arya but I think one of the two doesn't make it through the battle
4. Theon - sacrifices himself to save Bran
5. Jorah - Probably somehow redeems himself to Lil' Mormont and the rest of his house
6. Everyone in the crypt - they don't make a point of repeatedly stressing how safe it will be down there if it's actually safe

I also have a feeling Jamie kills the night king. They've been calling him Kingslayer for 8 seasons because of his past acts but I wonder if it was actually foreshadowing.
Rumpy

Post by Rumpy »

Jeff V wrote: Mon Apr 22, 2019 9:42 am
Rumpy wrote: Mon Apr 22, 2019 12:39 am
Spoiler:

Spoiler:

Spoiler:
Seeing how little cleverness is written into scripts these past few seasons, "the young warrior gets laid prior to the big battle" trope generally foreshadows said warrior not surviving the battle.

If we were to hold a death pool on who doesn't survive the battle, Arya just made my list.
Spoiler:
Maybe, but I'm not entirely convinced. She's been one of the few characters that have been actively training this whole time, grooming her skill. It has to amount to something. I figure she's going to last a while yet. Besides, she's yet to complete her list. I think it's far more likely for The Hound to get killed
Holman wrote: Mon Apr 22, 2019 11:22 am I'm just talking about style. Obviously we're going to resolve the major plot strands, but somehow the show just FEELS compressed and linear now.
FWIW, I agree. It kind of feels like the actors are phoning it in more or less. But then, the script isn't really giving them much to work with.

Edit: In other news, it appears Coster-Waldau is in town filming a movie called The Silencing. He's been spotted at a local restaurant eating like a king :D
Last edited by Rumpy on Mon Apr 22, 2019 2:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
PC:
Ryzen 5 3600
32GB RAM
2x1TB NVMe Drives
GTX 1660 Ti
Ralph-Wiggum

Post by Ralph-Wiggum »

I do really hope they give the Night King some motivation other than just cover the world in darkness. Would make the WWs much more interesting than if they’re just generic baddies who do evil for evil’s sake.
Black Lives Matter
Jeff V

Post by Jeff V »

Exodor wrote: Mon Apr 22, 2019 1:24 pm
Well, my prediction was directly based on events that happened in Ep 2.
Black Lives Matter
morlac

Post by morlac »

I have a strange feeling he is a Stark. They were around back when man was fighting against the children of the forests. So something beyond him just being an uncotrollable weapon that was created would be great.

I also wonder what is in the crypts beyond dead Starks? Lots of hints throughout the years there maybe more to Winterfell than just a home and castle. The crypts are bigger than Winterfell per the books. "There must always be a Stark at Winterfell" is repeated a bunch throughout the series. Much like "Winter is coming" really means white walkers are coming and not just the cold I wonder if the Stark saying has more to it. Maybe the Ice Queen is imprisoned there, maybe its full of dragon Eggs ready to hatch which is why the crypts are cold but winterfell is warm due the hot springs. Maybe the hot springs are from the mother of all dragons who is trapped there. Maybe im overanalyzing everything because i cant binge watch the rest! !!!
Exodor

Post by Exodor »

Jeff V wrote: Mon Apr 22, 2019 2:03 pm
Exodor wrote: Mon Apr 22, 2019 1:24 pm
Well, my prediction was directly based on events that happened in Ep 2.
Why are we spoiling things that aired 12+ hours ago?

I get using spoiler tags the night the episode airs but once it's aired on the west coast I feel like spoilers just make the thread unwieldy. I know I plan to stay out of the Avengers: Endgame thread until I see the movie Sunday because I don't expect the entire internet to wait to discuss the movie until after I've seen it.
Jeff V

Post by Jeff V »

Still seems too soon I guess? If my BBQ guests hadn't all left when they did last night, it would have been likely I'd have not seen the new episode until tonight. It's rather the exception than the norm for me to catch a show within hours of it being aired.
Black Lives Matter
$iljanus
Forum Moderator

Post by $iljanus »

Is there interest in starting a spoiler filled GoT season 8 thread because the spoiler tags are a bit unwieldy and I also don't want to inadvertently spoil things for people.
Black lives matter!

Wise words of warning from Smoove B: Oh, how you all laughed when I warned you about the semen. Well, who's laughing now?
Jeff V

Post by Jeff V »

morlac wrote: Mon Apr 22, 2019 2:16 pm I also wonder what is in the crypts beyond dead Starks?
Cats. Lots and lots of creepy crypt cats. After all, you never see cats running around the castle (although it's possible they were all eaten by dire wolves).
Black Lives Matter
Grifman

Post by Grifman »

Holman wrote: Mon Apr 22, 2019 11:22 am I think the problem is that an Army of the Evil Dead is too simple an antagonist for what the series always aspired to. Once upon a time we could relish the ambiguous range of motives, loving the colorful villains even while we hated them, but now it has become so black and white as to feel very unMartin. That's all I mean, really.

I suppose they could still come back from what I'm describing. A lot will depend on how Bran and Arya are handled, since they're kind of the last remaining mysteries as characters. (Or at least they were--it looks now like Arya is just morphing into a Ninja Warrior who took nothing away from her time with the God of Death except Mad Skillz.)

Remember I presented this complaint as a nitpick, not a denunciation. I thought episode 2 was much stronger than ep1.
Thanks, that's a much less generic complaint :) so I understand where you are coming from much better now. The thing is, it has come down to two very basic things now - can the WW be defeated and who will win the Iron Throne. That everything would be stripped down and subordinated to those two questions seemed inevitable to me. There are no more houses in the mix - we are down to the Lannisters and the Targaryens (both of them). The field has been stripped down - many of those "colorful villains" are worm food now. There's less scheming because there are fewer factions to scheme. The thinning was inevitable, and with that thinning, the choices available become less and less.
Grifman

Post by Grifman »

Jaymann wrote: Mon Apr 22, 2019 11:19 am Cersei is only half right:
Spoiler:
If the white walkers win, their numbers will increase by the size of the army of the North.
Excellent point, had not thought of that. She's screwed if the North loses! :)
Jeff V

Post by Jeff V »

Grifman wrote: Mon Apr 22, 2019 3:03 pm
Spoiler:
Maybe I missed it last season (certainly possible as it was easier to be distracted last season) but I recall Cersei being a White Walker denier. Does she even believe they exist yet?
Black Lives Matter
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Sounds like you missed all of last season.
It's almost as if people are the problem.
morlac

Post by morlac »

Grifman wrote: Mon Apr 22, 2019 3:01 pm
Holman wrote: Mon Apr 22, 2019 11:22 am I think the problem is that an Army of the Evil Dead is too simple an antagonist for what the series always aspired to. Once upon a time we could relish the ambiguous range of motives, loving the colorful villains even while we hated them, but now it has become so black and white as to feel very unMartin. That's all I mean, really.

Thanks, that's a much less generic complaint :) so I understand where you are coming from much better now. The thing is, it has come down to two very basic things now - can the WW be defeated and who will win the Iron Throne. That everything would be stripped down and subordinated to those two questions seemed inevitable to me. There are no more houses in the mix - we are down to the Lannisters and the Targaryens (both of them). The field has been stripped down - many of those "colorful villains" are worm food now. There's less scheming because there are fewer factions to scheme. The thinning was inevitable, and with that thinning, the choices available become less and less.
Technically still 4 houses. The Starks are very much still in play and per Sansa will not bend the knee to a Southern King. They might not be openly vying for the throne but if its the only way to ensure their independence they seem willing.

Dont forgot our Kraken friends from the Iron isles. Euron is after the crown and has not been shy about it. Knockin up Cersi is the quick way to it but hes not real interested in sharing it.

Still mostly down to the big 2 but there are still a couple others who have pieces left on the board.
MHS

Post by MHS »

Jeff V wrote: Mon Apr 22, 2019 3:33 pm
Spoiler:
Maybe I missed it last season (certainly possible as it was easier to be distracted last season) but I recall Cersei being a White Walker denier. Does she even believe they exist yet?
They brought a white walker to her and it nearly ate her face off. She's a believer now.
Black Lives Matter. No human is illegal. Women's rights are human rights. Love is love. Science is real. Kindness is everything.
Holman

Post by Holman »

I still kind of wonder if the Night King will be defeated not in battle but through something more mystical. Bran's time-travel abilities have to lead *somewhere*, and I've always suspected that he is also Bran the Builder. What if, in some way, the wall-wrecking, world-unbuilding Night King is too?

*poof*
Redfive

Post by Redfive »

MHS wrote: Mon Apr 22, 2019 4:49 pm
Jeff V wrote: Mon Apr 22, 2019 3:33 pm
Spoiler:
They brought a white walker to her and it nearly ate her face off. She's a believer now.
I realize I'm being nitpicky but I'm pretty sure it was a run of the mill zombie / undead and not a white walker. The point stands though.
Battle.net: red51ve#1673
Elder Scrolls Online - @redfive
morlac

Post by morlac »

Holman wrote: Mon Apr 22, 2019 4:51 pm I still kind of wonder if the Night King will be defeated not in battle but through something more mystical. Bran's time-travel abilities have to lead *somewhere*, and I've always suspected that he is also Bran the Builder. What if, in some way, the wall-wrecking, world-unbuilding Night King is too?

*poof*
I agree it will play a part. Hes planning on meeting him at the Winterfell Cyber Cafe where there will be flashbacks a plenty. I could see the orginal 3 eyed raven being Bran the builder but not sure cripple Bran makes sense as he built the wall to stop them and cripple Bran knows it doesn't end up working.
gameoverman

Post by gameoverman »

I enjoyed the episode, found it riveting actually. It's weird, because if at the end of the last season you told me "It will take three episodes into the final season before they face off" I'd have thought that was either a joke or that the final season would have a boring start. I'm not bored.

I think the Bran/Tyrion conversation probably holds the key to what's going to happen, which is why we didn't get to hear it. :twisted: That's the ONE conversation in these past two episodes that I most wanted to hear. Imagine what someone like Tyrion could do with the tidbits of information he gets out of Bran. This is probably how Tyrion is going to turn his fortunes around.

I liked how Sansa/Dany's conversation ended on an awkward "And after we win the war...?" note, then later the equally awkward Dany/Jon conversation ends on a similar "And after we win the war...?" question. Even Grey Worm had a similar bittersweet epiphany. It's sort like the ending to The Graduate, with the couple on the bus. Okay, you made it. Now what?

As to who I think might live, it boils down to the characters I think have something to do vis a vis Cersei. There are quite a few characters in Winterfell now who really don't have any reason to go south assuming the north beats the white walkers. I expect most of those characters to perish.
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

I actually liked what the Arya scene represented.
Spoiler:
Yes, it was a little weird seeing a girl with think of as 11 undressing and getting freaky (the actress is 22, the character is 18), but for the majority of the series we've seen her becoming more and more cold and emotionless (save for hatred.) This is the first time in a long, long time that she allowed herself anything but thoughts of vengeance or opened herself up in any way. I think if things went on longer, it would be the turning point for the character going from tomboy to heartless killer and finally to human again.
(˙pǝsɹǝʌǝɹ uǝǝq sɐɥ ʎʇıʌɐɹƃ ʃɐuosɹǝd ʎW)