msteelers

Re: Game of Thrones Season 8

Post by msteelers »

I’m satisfied.
Rumpy

Post by Rumpy »

El Guapo wrote: Tue Apr 23, 2019 1:36 pm
Rumpy wrote: Tue Apr 23, 2019 1:33 pm What are the chances that Bran could go on to win the throne?
I would say pretty much zero, insofar as I really don't think he would have even the slightest interest.
Holy hell, I called it! :lol: Hot damn, they pulled it off! Much better episode than last weeks, and much more satisfying. Gonna miss these characters. Only thing I kind of found funny was Drogon torching the throne as that seemed a little convenient. How'd he know nobody should have it? :D Anyone notice the blade of grass north of the wall? Spring is coming?
PC:
Ryzen 5 3600
32GB RAM
2x1TB NVMe Drives
GTX 1660 Ti
Holman

Post by Holman »

OK, that could have been much worse.

Dany's Nuremberg rally was a great scene. Very sinister, very ominous. It was the best they could have done after last week.

Jon killing her was also well done (although Drogon stole the show there).

The politics of choosing a king were pretty unbelievable. (Sansa got a whole independent kingdom and no one else asked for anything?) But I can see that they had to move things along.

Maybe the best scene of all was Brienne filling out Jaime's page in the White Book. ("Died defending his Queen.")

Of course TONS of questions were left unanswered. They didn't even try, and quit trying long ago.

All in all this was a good ending for Game of Thrones (HBO) but doesn't measure up to ASoI&F (GRRM).
Last edited by Holman on Sun May 19, 2019 10:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Much prefer my Nazis Nuremberged.
Holman

Post by Holman »

Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

msteelers wrote: Mon May 06, 2019 11:27 am
Spoiler:
Every Lord Commander of the Kingsguard gets an entry written about them. There was previous mention about how Jaime’s entry is lacking, and we know now that all of his good deeds are not in the book because they’ve been secret. I could see him dying to take out Cersei, and Brienne writes his story in the book. That he saved Kings Landing by becoming the Kingslayer. Fought for the living against the armies of the dead, and finally took out Cersei. It would be a fitting end and a great way to preserve his honor.
Nice call!

Also, Drogon: "Fuck your throne."
(˙pǝsɹǝʌǝɹ uǝǝq sɐɥ ʎʇıʌɐɹƃ ʃɐuosɹǝd ʎW)
Daveman

Post by Daveman »

I'd say I'm satisfied too. After Bran's comment about looking for Drogon I expected the final shot to be some crows passing over Drogon guarding a few fresh eggs or something.
Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

Pretty satisfied as well. Definitely some nits I could pick (like why were there so many skeletons in King’s Landing?), but it was overall a pretty good wrap up. Dinklage was superb, always.

Still weird to think it’s over though. Between Avengers yesterday and GoT today, it’s like the door just slammed shut on a significant chunk of my geekiness this weekend. :cry:
When darkness veils the world, four Warriors of Light shall come.
Kelric

Post by Kelric »

I'm okay with that ending. I wish they had an entire season leading to the Battle of Winterfell and then another season for everything after, but oh well.

Maybe he'll finish the books.
Kelric

Post by Kelric »

Skinypupy wrote: Sun May 19, 2019 11:01 pm (like why were there so many skeletons in King’s Landing?)
Because everybody died by dragon fire and wild fire. BURNINATE!
D.A.Lewis

Post by D.A.Lewis »

So how did they know that:
Spoiler:
Jon killed Dany? Drogon carried the body away
AKA: Dajjer
Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

Kelric wrote: Sun May 19, 2019 11:04 pm
Skinypupy wrote: Sun May 19, 2019 11:01 pm (like why were there so many skeletons in King’s Landing?)
Because everybody died by dragon fire and wild fire. BURNINATE!
Just seemed weird that there were massive heaps of charred bodies on the street (where the dragon fire would have been the most intense) but skeletons in the buildings where the fire was less direct. Wouldn’t it be the other way around? Again, just seemed strange to me...not particularly important either way.

Worth calling out that badass shot of Dany with the dragon wings behind her.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Jon would have told them.
It's almost as if people are the problem.
Rumpy

Post by Rumpy »

Yeah, that particular shot of the dragon wings behind Dany was well done.
PC:
Ryzen 5 3600
32GB RAM
2x1TB NVMe Drives
GTX 1660 Ti
Ralph-Wiggum

Game of Thrones Season 8

Post by Ralph-Wiggum »

I thought the lead up to Jon killing Dany was pretty good, although I wish they hadn’t had the Dany now-we’re-gonna-torch all these other-cities speech. They could’ve at least left some ambiguity about whether she would now be peaceful. Also, where did all those Dothraki suddenly come from? I thought the Night King got all but a few of them.

Everything past that point was pretty silly. Tyrion’s argument for picking Bran is that he is a good storyteller? And everyone goes along? And why did half the people there have any say in the matter (e.g. Brienne, Arya, etc.)? They aren’t the head of any main house. And if Sansa can make the North independent and no one objects, why would they all just do that?

That said, I didn’t mind the ending for Sansa. Feels fitting that she ended as the ruler of the North.

Black Lives Matter
$iljanus
Forum Moderator

Post by $iljanus »

The banter among the king’s new advisors was fun to watch and it was a good way to end things even though it took a really silly road getting there.

I’m glad Jon said screw staying on the wall and will hopefully live a fulfilling life in the land north of the wall. Loved the shot of a sprig of green breaking through the snow. And it’s about damn time that he pet Ghost.
Black lives matter!

Wise words of warning from Smoove B: Oh, how you all laughed when I warned you about the semen. Well, who's laughing now?
gameoverman

Post by gameoverman »

I enjoyed it. I feel sad the show is over, so they didn't wear out their welcome with me.

Bran telling Tyrion 'why do you think I came all this way" is, I take it, an indication that he was pulling the strings to achieve this end all along. Later, when he said he 'maybe' could find the dragon I took that to mean he also knows what that dragon is up to. He even told Jon that he was where he needed to be. He'll be a powerful king since he knows everyone's secretes. I laughed when he asked about his Master of Whisperers. Dude, what could he tell you that you don't already know? That's going to be the easiest job in the realm.
Bran "So what do you have for me today?"
MoW "Um, that one guy is going to do that thing...you know..."

Ghost was shown the respect he earned as a character. I got the impression the Dothraki are in no hurry to go anywhere and no one is asking them to leave, so maybe they'll join the army. Dany underestimated how serious family ties could be, probably because her brother was the only family she knew. Naming Winterfell as a future target was bold but stupid.
pr0ner

Post by pr0ner »

I have no issues with how the show ended.
Hodor.
McNutt

Post by McNutt »

It was just as unsatisfying as I had feared. Not a fan of this ending.

Goddamn I hate Bran as a character. Even in the books. And now he's the king? The whole kingmaking scene was ridiculous. Why was Tyrion even allowed to speak at this assembly? One minute in and he's saying how kings will be named from here out. Yeah, sure.

Sansa then says that the North will remain independent. NONE of the other lords come to their senses and realize that they can do that too and don't have to follow some smug ass cripple guy with no leadership experience?

Why in the hell were Davos, Brianne and Arya at that meeting? Davos and Brianne even got a vote!

And naturally Tyrion is able to find Jaime and Cersei buried in the rubble after about five minutes of searching. It would have been so much better if nobody knew what happened to them or even if they were still alive.
Jaymann

Post by Jaymann »

Ralph-Wiggum wrote: Sun May 19, 2019 11:51 pm I thought the lead up to Jon killing Dany was pretty good, although I wish they hadn’t had the Dany now-we’re-gonna-torch all these other-cities speech. They could’ve at least left some ambiguity about whether she would now be peaceful. Also, where did all those Dothraki suddenly come from? I thought the Night King got all but a few of them.
They never explained it, but all we saw was their fire swords winking out. Maybe a significant number of them booked it out of that hopeless battle.

And apparently jet fuel does melt steel.
Jaymann
]==(:::::::::::::>
Black Lives Matter
EvilHomer3k
Forum Moderator

Post by EvilHomer3k »

Other than the spontaneous resurrection of all the dothraki and unsullied I liked it. It was not just a satisfying ending for me but a good one. I liked the plant in the snow, Jon going north of the wall, Arya going west, Sansa becoming queen. There were a lot of great interactions with Bran and Tyrionn. Really, my only true complaint is that Tormund had no lines. This, IMO, is the most grievous mistake this season. No one else in this show has been as awesome as Tormund. Not giving him a single line in the finale is inexcusable and ruins the entire series. I'm not watching a single episode next season.
That sound of the spoon scraping over the can ribbing as you corral the last ravioli or two is the signal that a great treat is coming. It's the washboard solo in God's own
bluegrass band of comfort food. - LawBeefaroni
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

The Dothraki didn't bother me as much as the Unsullied. There were a lot of Dothraki, but barely a fraction of what she had before. I think that some of those lost would have just been wounded and had recovered, a few might have been scouts or on other duties and not in the charge in the north. It seems reasonable that she'd be able to recover a few, and I doubt that those in the shot were more than 10% of what she had in the raid on the supply caravan. But the Unsullied? We've been shown that there were almost nothing left, and that shot showed a huge number.
Rumpy

Post by Rumpy »

Ralph-Wiggum wrote: Sun May 19, 2019 11:51 pm And why did half the people there have any say in the matter (e.g. Brienne, Arya, etc.)? They aren’t the head of any main house.
Don't forget, most of the main houses likely don't exist anymore. This is a changed world. Many of its leaders are dead. Some are likely to go form new houses as was suggested to the head of Dany's army. Anybody up there are there as representatives of their part of the world. For many, it's a time of rebuilding.
PC:
Ryzen 5 3600
32GB RAM
2x1TB NVMe Drives
GTX 1660 Ti
Holman

Post by Holman »

Speaking of people at the Bran election meeting:

Sitting next to Sam, was that... Howland Reed?? (Rough northern lord all in swamp green.)
msteelers

Post by msteelers »

Holman wrote: Mon May 20, 2019 6:59 am Speaking of people at the Bran election meeting:

Sitting next to Sam, was that... Howland Reed?? (Rough northern lord all in swamp green.)
I thought it was the Blackfish.
Holman

Post by Holman »

msteelers wrote: Mon May 20, 2019 7:03 am
Holman wrote: Mon May 20, 2019 6:59 am Speaking of people at the Bran election meeting:

I thought it was the Blackfish.
Nah. He's dead.
Holman

Post by Holman »

Also, Robin Arryn seems to have turned out all right.
infinitelurker

Post by infinitelurker »

Overall, I'm satisfied with it. The biggest thing that bothered me in the finale, however, was that I didn't buy that Grey Worm and the Unsullied would have ever been swayed for anything but death to Jon Snow. There was never a hint, at least that I noticed, that Grey Worm thought Dany was going mad.
-something witty-
Daveman

Post by Daveman »

While it was a funny moment, I was surprised they brought Edmure Tully back, and gave him some precious screen time.
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

Has Peter Dinklage won any awards yet? Because he carried that last episode with all his heavy monologues - which were fantastic. I was expecting pain, but I'm actually satisfied. They painted the picture of where Dany was heading with all this and I think setup the inevitable. The ending fit (at least for what they presented), and while there were some issues and quite a few dropped threads, I think it worked.
Maybe next year, maybe no go
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

Also, how do people see these things?

Maybe next year, maybe no go
msteelers

Post by msteelers »

The more I think about the episode the more I like it.

I would love for a series focusing just on the small council now. It can be a 30 minute show, and it only ever takes place in that room with everyone sitting around the table. Brienne and Bronn is the buddy duo I didn't know I needed.

And the series is set for a sequel at some point. I think Bran will be a good king, and there will be peace in the realm for a long time. But there will undoubtedly be more war at some point in the future. What happens when the vote for the next king/queen is split? Or the Iron Islands and Dorne decide they want independence like the north? There's a lot of story there for HBO to mine in the future, in addition to the prequel series.
MonkeyFinger

Post by MonkeyFinger »

Rumpy wrote: Sun May 19, 2019 11:36 pm Yeah, that particular shot of the dragon wings behind Dany was well done.
I said much the same thing to the wife while we were watching. Well done, indeed.

As to new shows, I would be totally in on Arya Heads West as one of the "spinoffs". :D Also wondering, with Jon essentially leaving the Watch and heading north, if that means the whole "you will take no wife, you will father no offspring" part of his exile is off the table?
-mf
msteelers

Post by msteelers »

Blackhawk wrote: Sun May 19, 2019 10:52 pm
msteelers wrote: Mon May 06, 2019 11:27 am
Spoiler:
Every Lord Commander of the Kingsguard gets an entry written about them. There was previous mention about how Jaime’s entry is lacking, and we know now that all of his good deeds are not in the book because they’ve been secret. I could see him dying to take out Cersei, and Brienne writes his story in the book. That he saved Kings Landing by becoming the Kingslayer. Fought for the living against the armies of the dead, and finally took out Cersei. It would be a fitting end and a great way to preserve his honor.
Nice call!
Yeah, I'm really glad that one came true. It was one of those speculations I heard in a podcast that I was really hoping to see. I'd like to see more about what she wrote. Finishing with "died protecting his Queen" was nice.
Jaymann

Post by Jaymann »

Will Jon Snow be henceforth known as the Queenslayer?

As for the blade of grass: I remember in the books that this Winter was going to last 10 years or something. More Hollywood.
Jaymann
]==(:::::::::::::>
Black Lives Matter
MonkeyFinger

Post by MonkeyFinger »

I believe they can last "a generation", from what I recall from the books.
-mf
msteelers

Post by msteelers »

MonkeyFinger wrote: Mon May 20, 2019 9:08 am I believe they can last "a generation", from what I recall from the books.
The seasons are not predictable in this world, and GRR Martin has basically said that's because of magic. There's no scientific reason for the goofy seasons, so that leaves magic. I have assumed that with the death of the Night King, there's a chance that would lead to a return to "normal" seasons. Or at the very least, winters won't be as harsh.
msteelers

Post by msteelers »

gameoverman wrote: Mon May 20, 2019 12:36 amNaming Winterfell as a future target was bold but stupid.
I'm not sure Jon understood what she was saying. I assumed he did during that scene, but then later Tyrion said something along the lines of "did that sound like she was talking about peace to you?" That made me realize Jon doesn't speak their language, and shouldn't have any idea what they were saying. But he certainly could pick up on the mood. And the mood in that scene was terrifying. People might not like the turn that Dany took, but Emilia Clarke was fantastic.
Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

msteelers wrote: Mon May 20, 2019 9:22 am People might not like the turn that Dany took, but Emilia Clarke was fantastic.
Agreed. Given what she had to work with, I thought she really did an excellent job this season.
Jeff V

Post by Jeff V »

Jaymann wrote: Sun May 19, 2019 10:34 pm
Jon returns to the wall - nailed it.
Did he? I thought he was leading the wildlings in an exodus back beyond the wall.
Black Lives Matter
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

MonkeyFinger wrote: Mon May 20, 2019 8:59 am
Rumpy wrote: Sun May 19, 2019 11:36 pm Yeah, that particular shot of the dragon wings behind Dany was well done.
I said much the same thing to the wife while we were watching. Well done, indeed.

As to new shows, I would be totally in on Arya Heads West as one of the "spinoffs". :D Also wondering, with Jon essentially leaving the Watch and heading north, if that means the whole "you will take no wife, you will father no offspring" part of his exile is off the table?
I went back and forth on that one. Did he really leave, or was it just a set up? It really looked like Tormund and the wildlings were just waiting for Jon to get back, as if they knew he was coming. "Psst. Jon. Bran says hi. Ready to go home?"
msteelers wrote: Mon May 20, 2019 9:16 am
MonkeyFinger wrote: Mon May 20, 2019 9:08 am I believe they can last "a generation", from what I recall from the books.
The seasons are not predictable in this world, and GRR Martin has basically said that's because of magic. There's no scientific reason for the goofy seasons, so that leaves magic. I have assumed that with the death of the Night King, there's a chance that would lead to a return to "normal" seasons. Or at the very least, winters won't be as harsh.
I like that explanation. The winters were the Night King's doing all along. It would explain a lot.