Game of Thrones Season 8

Everything else!

Moderators: Bakhtosh, EvilHomer3k

msteelers

Re: Game of Thrones Season 8

Post by msteelers »

hepcat wrote:whoops, typo, I forgot a 0. The article I linked to was 300,000 at that time.

But man, 400,000. Wow.

...it still won't happen.
Oh yeah, absolutely not a chance.
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

Remus West wrote: Thu May 16, 2019 1:08 pm I haven't been watching the shows (no HBO for me) but I saw a theory that said Bran was the one who burned King's Landing by warging into Drogon and that was why they didn't show Dany's face after she started the flight. The theory suggested she heard the bells and thought she would go burn down the Red Keep and Cersei with it when Bran warged in and took out the entire city. Thoughts?
It sure looked like she was steeling herself for a massacre in the shot before it happened.
Covfefe!
msteelers

Post by msteelers »

hepcat wrote:
Remus West wrote: Thu May 16, 2019 1:08 pm I haven't been watching the shows (no HBO for me) but I saw a theory that said Bran was the one who burned King's Landing by warging into Drogon and that was why they didn't show Dany's face after she started the flight. The theory suggested she heard the bells and thought she would go burn down the Red Keep and Cersei with it when Bran warged in and took out the entire city. Thoughts?
It sure looked like she was steeling herself for a massacre in the shot before it happened.
If that’s how it turns out then I’ll be signing a certain petition.
Jeff V

Post by Jeff V »

McNutt wrote: Thu May 16, 2019 1:10 pm Bran going crazy makes even less sense.
Agreed. Instead, Bran suddenly masters the ability to travel the timeline and fuck with events in the past. Joffrey never kills that boy in the beginning, and Robert is still wedging his ass into the Iron Throne. The Night King never gets his undead dragon and his meager legions are completely overrun by a combined, massive unified Westeros army. Robb Stark kills the Night King, and officially takes "Warden of the North" off Ned's plate.

There are six more blond babies in the Baratheon household.
Black Lives Matter
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

msteelers wrote: Thu May 16, 2019 1:21 pm
hepcat wrote:
If that’s how it turns out then I’ll be signing a certain petition.
And the current state of season 8 isn't already enough??? :shock:
Covfefe!
msteelers

Post by msteelers »

It’s not perfect, but I’m enjoying it. I’m picking up what they are putting down.
McNutt

Post by McNutt »

Maybe they can have alternate endings like Clue.
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

Put it on Netflix and have interactive endings you control with your remote!

Press 1 to torch every single person you see, press 2 to get busy with Arya, press 3 to chill with Hot Pie.
Covfefe!
Jeff V

Post by Jeff V »

McNutt wrote: Thu May 16, 2019 1:31 pm Maybe they can have alternate endings like Clue.
OK, we can do this. Bran goes back in time before any of this started, and begins looking at all possible timelines. In the end, he picks one where Benjen kills the Night King before most were even aware of a threat and he himself finds something better to do than spy on Jaime and Cersei getting busy with each other. The only one in the entire 8 season cast who dies is Jorah, and that's because Samwell is not available to cure his greyscale.
Black Lives Matter
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

This thread is gonna end in bad fan fiction, isn't it?

I just know it.
Covfefe!
McNutt

Post by McNutt »

My kids were watching a show on Netflix with Bear Gryllis and it had a choose-your-own-adventure schtick where the kids would use the remote to pick where Bear should go next. The technology exists, people.
msteelers

Post by msteelers »

hepcat wrote:This thread is gonna end in bad fan fiction, isn't it?

I just know it.
Some would say the show is too.
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

McNutt wrote: Thu May 16, 2019 1:47 pm My kids were watching a show on Netflix with Bear Gryllis and it had a choose-your-own-adventure schtick where the kids would use the remote to pick where Bear should go next. The technology exists, people.
Black Mirror does it in a netflix presentation. I wasted about 3 hours one afternoon backtracking my decisions, only to find out that whatever I did resulted in things ending badly.
Covfefe!
Remus West

Post by Remus West »

McNutt wrote: Thu May 16, 2019 1:10 pm Bran going crazy makes even less sense.
They were saying that at one point the BloodRaven told Bran "The NightKing touched you" which is how the Night King turned folks so the theory was Bran had been turned way back. Thus his weird behavior during the fight in the North too.
“As democracy is perfected, the office of president represents, more and more closely, the inner soul of the people. On some great and glorious day the plain folks of the land will reach their heart's desire at last and the White House will be adorned by a downright moron.” - H.L. Mencken
Jaymann

Post by Jaymann »

Actually he warged into the Mountain (weak mind) so he could dwarf toss Qyburn.
Jaymann
]==(:::::::::::::>
Black Lives Matter
gameoverman

Post by gameoverman »

I could live with that if only there had already been some hint that Bran was working towards his own goal. What I mean is since he's come back he's been a source of information, that's it. Even in the battle against the zombies when he warged out...nothing from him. He's been helping his family, that's the most you can say about what he's doing. It would be very unsatisfying to me if in the final episode there was an "Aha! Behold the Three Eyed Raven and despair!" moment where he pulls a Yoda, casts off his cloak, and steps out of his chair to go nuts on everyone.
$iljanus
Forum Moderator

Post by $iljanus »

hepcat wrote: Thu May 16, 2019 1:38 pm Put it on Netflix and have interactive endings you control with your remote!

Press 1 to torch every single person you see, press 2 to get busy with Arya, press 3 to chill with Hot Pie.
"Eat a Hot Pie" or "Eat Hot Pie"
Black lives matter!

Wise words of warning from Smoove B: Oh, how you all laughed when I warned you about the semen. Well, who's laughing now?
Jaymann

Post by Jaymann »

Question: If Arya takes out Dany in private, could she don her face and sit on the Iron Throne?
Jaymann
Black Lives Matter
gameoverman

Post by gameoverman »

Jaymann wrote: Thu May 16, 2019 2:25 pm Question: If Arya takes out Dany in private, could she don her face and sit on the Iron Throne?
I don't see why not. The catch is that she will then take on all Dany's baggage, such as people thinking she's evil. She'd be better off looking for Cersei and taking her face.
Daveman

Post by Daveman »

I suppose they might have to do a bit of digging to get TO the Iron Throne first :P I'll assume the big lump of iron is otherwise in OK shape.
Jeff V

Post by Jeff V »

Jaymann wrote: Thu May 16, 2019 2:25 pm Question: If Arya takes out Dany in private, could she don her face and sit on the Iron Throne?
How do you know she didn't already do so and it was HER crazy ass driving the dragon? :ninja:
Black Lives Matter
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

I wonder if wearing a dead person's face would get itchy or even cause a rash after a time?

Mythbusters ended, didn't it?

Crap...
Covfefe!
stimpy

Post by stimpy »

hepcat wrote: Thu May 16, 2019 3:14 pm I wonder if wearing a dead person's face would get itchy or even cause a rash after a time?

Mythbusters ended, didn't it?

Crap...
According to The Walking Dead.......no.
He/Him/His/Porcupine
Jaymann

Post by Jaymann »

So what happens if Arya assumes Dany's identity, and then Bran wargs into her? The universe implodes?
Jaymann
Black Lives Matter
Jeff V

Post by Jeff V »

According to Script Consultant Hannibal Lechter, you only wear another's face as long as necessary.
Black Lives Matter
$iljanus
Forum Moderator

Post by $iljanus »

At this point I'm hoping for a slapstick chase scene around the Iron Throne set to the Benny Hill theme at the end of the show. A pie fight with pies baked by Hot Pie would also be acceptable with the cast singing We Could've Been Anything That We Wanted to Be from the end of Bugsy Malone which had the best pie fight ever.
Black lives matter!

Wise words of warning from Smoove B: Oh, how you all laughed when I warned you about the semen. Well, who's laughing now?
Jeff V

Post by Jeff V »

$iljanus wrote: Thu May 16, 2019 3:44 pm At this point I'm hoping for a slapstick chase scene around the Iron Throne set to the Benny Hill theme at the end of the show. A pie fight with pies baked by Hot Pie would also be acceptable with the cast singing We Could've Been Anything That We Wanted to Be from the end of Bugsy Malone which had the best pie fight ever.
The Mel Brooks ending really needed Varys to be sitting on the Iron Throne though.
Black Lives Matter
Rumpy

Post by Rumpy »

$iljanus wrote: Thu May 16, 2019 3:44 pm At this point I'm hoping for a slapstick chase scene around the Iron Throne set to the Benny Hill theme at the end of the show. A pie fight with pies baked by Hot Pie would also be acceptable with the cast singing We Could've Been Anything That We Wanted to Be from the end of Bugsy Malone which had the best pie fight ever.
Yeah, at this point it feels like the Sesame Street parody ending seems more and more likely :D
PC:
Ryzen 5 3600
32GB RAM
2x1TB NVMe Drives
GTX 1660 Ti
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

She could always put on Dany's face, endorse Jon for king, then announce her retirement and slink off.
(˙pǝsɹǝʌǝɹ uǝǝq sɐɥ ʎʇıʌɐɹƃ ʃɐuosɹǝd ʎW)
$iljanus
Forum Moderator

Post by $iljanus »

Rumpy wrote:
Yeah, at this point it feels like the Sesame Street parody ending seems more and more likely :D
A dying Cersei opens her eyes to find a furry trunk belonging to Mr. Snuffleupagus gently nuzzling her face. She smiles and says, "I've always wanted to see an elephant" and passes away.

End scene.
Black lives matter!

gameoverman

Post by gameoverman »

$iljanus wrote: Thu May 16, 2019 4:47 pm
Rumpy wrote:
A dying Cersei opens her eyes to find a furry trunk belonging to Mr. Snuffleupagus gently nuzzling her face. She smiles and says, "I've always wanted to see an elephant" and passes away.

End scene.
For a second there I thought you were setting up a "belonging to Pod" ending.
Rumpy

Post by Rumpy »

Regarding Arya, one way I've thought it could happen would be: She kills Jaime and puts on Jaime's face. She then goes to Cersei and it plays out like we've seen in the episode, where she feels relieved to see Jaime, except that a moment later she gets a look of complete and utter shock at being stabbed by her own brother. So, even though Jaime himself might have been trying to save Cersei, we would have still seen him kill Cersei and I think it would have felt so satisfying. That aspect of Arya seems to have conveniently been forgotten amid the rush to the finish line.
PC:
Ryzen 5 3600
32GB RAM
2x1TB NVMe Drives
GTX 1660 Ti
gameoverman

Post by gameoverman »

I think Arya's path in that episode was to show her turn back from her death obsession, courtesy of the Hound's help, then as she escapes the city she is horrified by the carnage. So now she's not motivated by revenge but instead she's motivated by a desire to prevent further violence and death. And she's going to do it by violently killing Dany.
YellowKing

Post by YellowKing »

We just watched it and I came away from the episode completely puzzled as to why people were so upset. Dany has always been a power mad tyrant - if you haven't caught that throughout the entire series, you haven't been paying attention. Bitch always been cray cray. The only thing ever keeping her ambitions in check were her advisors. No advisors + a good mocking by Cersei = real Dany.
Rumpy

Post by Rumpy »

gameoverman wrote: Thu May 16, 2019 8:28 pm I think Arya's path in that episode was to show her turn back from her death obsession, courtesy of the Hound's help, then as she escapes the city she is horrified by the carnage. So now she's not motivated by revenge but instead she's motivated by a desire to prevent further violence and death. And she's going to do it by violently killing Dany.
I dunno. That strikes me at odds with her entire journey. Why get trained by the faceless man to give it all up in the end? And she hasn't exactly been at odds with Dany, at least not directly.
PC:
Ryzen 5 3600
32GB RAM
2x1TB NVMe Drives
GTX 1660 Ti
Ralph-Wiggum

Post by Ralph-Wiggum »

Maybe Dany had just been talking with Davos before the battle:

Black Lives Matter
gameoverman

Post by gameoverman »

Rumpy wrote: Thu May 16, 2019 9:09 pm
gameoverman wrote: Thu May 16, 2019 8:28 pm I think Arya's path in that episode was to show her turn back from her death obsession, courtesy of the Hound's help, then as she escapes the city she is horrified by the carnage. So now she's not motivated by revenge but instead she's motivated by a desire to prevent further violence and death. And she's going to do it by violently killing Dany.
I dunno. That strikes me at odds with her entire journey. Why get trained by the faceless man to give it all up in the end? And she hasn't exactly been at odds with Dany, at least not directly.
Arya's thing has always been revenge, in much the same one track mind way as Dany's focus on regaining the throne. She only had Cersei left, assuming she knew the Hound was going after the Mountain. I think the audience was supposed to see it as her having a moment of clarity, what's it all for? She kills Cersei and dies there, while the city is being trashed, what's the point? So she decides to leave and once in the clear she can figure out what's next. The only thing is she got a front row seat to the death Dany was causing to innocent people. Dany did not wrong Arya's family, which is why this isn't a revenge move. The one thing she might view Dany as is just a general threat to everyone, as a nutcase on a dragon Dany is exceptionally threatening to everyone everywhere. It would be the one kill that was morally less bad than a vengeance kill.
Rumpy

Post by Rumpy »

Yeah, Ok, now that you explain it, it makes a bit more sense. A lot more sense than what we got ;)
PC:
Ryzen 5 3600
32GB RAM
2x1TB NVMe Drives
GTX 1660 Ti
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

Scientific American - The Real Reason Fans Hate the Last Season of Game of Thrones
Some fans and critics have been assuming that the duo changed the narrative to fit Hollywood tropes or to speed things up, but that’s unlikely. In fact, they probably stuck to the narrative points that were given to them, if only in outline form, by the original author. What they did is something different, but in many ways more fundamental: Benioff and Weiss steer the narrative lane away from the sociological and shifted to the psychological.
Also, Arya ex machina is now my new go-to term.
(˙pǝsɹǝʌǝɹ uǝǝq sɐɥ ʎʇıʌɐɹƃ ʃɐuosɹǝd ʎW)
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

Ralph-Wiggum wrote: Thu May 16, 2019 9:56 pm Maybe Dany had just been talking with Davos before the battle
Was this all just a trick by Tyrion all along? Did he think the bells would ring once the attack started as a way to get people to hide inside and if he told her that really meant they gave up she would stop? They were never intended as surrender bells but he was hoping she'd believe him that they were? Once the bells rang she realized they never intended to welcome her with open arms so let's just burn it all to the ground? I could almost buy that. I think that's a lot to have people figure out, if true and it does go against what the writers said in the "after the show" short feature. As a major plot point, this really shouldn't be such a mess, IMHO.
Maybe next year, maybe no go