Game of Thrones Season 8

Everything else!

Moderators: Bakhtosh, EvilHomer3k

ImLawBoy
Forum Admin

Re: Game of Thrones Season 8

Post by ImLawBoy »

El Guapo wrote: Mon Apr 15, 2019 1:04 pm
JCC wrote: Mon Apr 15, 2019 1:01 pm (Not hiding stuff in spoiler tags - not that I am going into that many details.)

I thought the episode was great. Loved all the reunions.

I took Cersei's changing her mind to simply wanting a roll in the hay and then perhaps having a way to futher manipulate him. We all know the man she truly wants isn't available. Cersei is cold and calculating (even if she is sometimes/often wrong). I didn't see it as a sign of weakness at all - but that's just my take.
Also I think part of it is that Cersei actually does like and want him - he seems like kind of a good match for her.
Yeah, but right after giving him a lecture about how if he wants a whore, he should buy a whore?
That's my purse! I don't know you!
gameoverman

Post by gameoverman »

Cersei would have been 'easy' if she invited him without making him demand it. The way I saw it, she ignored him as a test. Would he be man enough in her eyes to demand what's his per their agreement or would he meekly give up and walk away angry? Then he does make demands, but this is in front of everyone so she has to play it coy. She can't just say "Yes, of course, you're right". So she walks away and makes him sweat a bit. Then, when SHE decides, she lets him in.

I enjoyed the episode, especially Bran always seeming to be in the background watching, creepy. That ending.
Daveman

Post by Daveman »

Expecting there would be some action/bloodbath to cap off the premier I was waiting for the seemingly disposable lesser characters (Tormund, Beric and company) to die at the end there. Was surprised to see no one die.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Daveman wrote: Mon Apr 15, 2019 2:42 pm Expecting there would be some action/bloodbath to cap off the premier I was waiting for the seemingly disposable lesser characters (Tormund, Beric and company) to die at the end there. Was surprised to see no one die.
Several Iron Fleet sailors and the Lord of House Umber, Ned...
It's almost as if people are the problem.
Daveman

Post by Daveman »

I meant established character deaths.
Holman

Post by Holman »

The new GRRM twist is when characters survive.
Much prefer my Nazis Nuremberged.
Jaymann

Post by Jaymann »

I'm fine with annoying characters biting it.

Also I think they missed a major opportunity with Littlefinger:
Spoiler:
Instead of just stabbing him he should have been able to demand trial by combat (it had never been outlawed in the North). Could have been an epic battle between Arya and the fat lord from the Vale.
Jaymann
]==(:::::::::::::>
Black Lives Matter
RunningMn9

Post by RunningMn9 »

Like, did someone just forget and leave Bran out in the courtyard all day? Dude is gonna catch a cold.
And in banks across the world
Christians, Moslems, Hindus, Jews
And every other race, creed, colour, tint or hue
Get down on their knees and pray
The raccoon and the groundhog neatly
Make up bags of change
But the monkey in the corner
Well he's slowly drifting out of range
rittchard

Post by rittchard »

RunningMn9 wrote: Mon Apr 15, 2019 5:57 pm Like, did someone just forget and leave Bran out in the courtyard all day? Dude is gonna catch a cold.
He's so gigantic no one wants to move him around any more. Plus he's super creepy lol.
gameoverman

Post by gameoverman »

RunningMn9 wrote: Mon Apr 15, 2019 5:57 pm Like, did someone just forget and leave Bran out in the courtyard all day? Dude is gonna catch a cold.
Considering his powers, it made me laugh to think of him calling someone over "Hey, can you move over there and point me that way?". Then when he interacts with the person he was waiting for, he calls someone else over "Hey, can you move me over there and point me that way?". And this just goes on and on...each helper probably thinking "This guy is crazy, he can't just pick a spot?". Maybe there is a person observing him, and that person sees the pattern.
RunningMn9

Post by RunningMn9 »

Maybe he just wargs into people and makes them push him around when he needs to?
And in banks across the world
Christians, Moslems, Hindus, Jews
And every other race, creed, colour, tint or hue
Get down on their knees and pray
The raccoon and the groundhog neatly
Make up bags of change
But the monkey in the corner
Well he's slowly drifting out of range
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

Bran appointment book

Day 1 - had myself wheeled over to the north gate for optimal staring at Jon

Day 2 - wheeled over to the south gate to stare at Tyrion

Day 3 - had a little too much schnapps and ended up at the west gate staring at a squirrel.
He won. Period.
Holman

Post by Holman »

Hey, it's not like Hodors grow on trees!

(Too soon?)
gameoverman

Post by gameoverman »

RunningMn9 wrote: Mon Apr 15, 2019 6:20 pm Maybe he just wargs into people and makes them push him around when he needs to?
Wow, that reminds me that he can probably warg into just about anything by now, and there are dragons around. Imagine if Jon's direwolf shows up, then Jon gets on a dragon, Bran wargs into the direwolf and he gets onto the dragon with Jon, maybe wearing some kind of dragonglass spiked armor, and they fly over the white walker army and airdrop the direwolf behind enemy lines and he tears shit up.
Ralph-Wiggum

Post by Ralph-Wiggum »

Heard an interesting tidbit on a GoTs podcast I listen to (Nerdette recaps GoTs). Peter Sagal is one of the hosts and had dinner with Benioff and Weiss recently. He asked them whether their ending is the same one that GRRM planned. They wouldn’t answer but did say that GRMM often gave them the broad strokes of what happens without much of the details. The example they gave was that GRMM had the basics of why Hodor said “Hodor” but hadn’t yet figured out the details. It was actually all B&W that came up with the Bran warging/time travel stuff.

I imagine the ending will be similar; GRRM gave them the broad strokes and it was up to them to put together how it all happens.
Black Lives Matter
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

I have to wonder how Theon was able to break the commander's ship off from the fleet, along with a few others, and then just nonchalantly sail away after freeing his sister. You'd think someone would question that.
He won. Period.
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

hepcat wrote: Tue Apr 16, 2019 10:33 am I have to wonder how Theon was able to break the commander's ship off from the fleet, along with a few others, and then just nonchalantly sail away after freeing his sister. You'd think someone would question that.
It was night, right? If the ships are far enough apart, the sails are black...it doesn't seem entirely out of the question that they might be able to sneak onto the ship and kill the skeleton crew and take Yara and sail away. Presumably their sails look the same.

It was a little out of the blue Seal Team 6-ish for Theon, but on the other hand we don't have that much time left so I am 100% comfortable with them yadda yadda yadda'ing that rescue.
Black Lives Matter.
Jaymann

Post by Jaymann »

hepcat wrote: Tue Apr 16, 2019 10:33 am I have to wonder how Theon was able to break the commander's ship off from the fleet, along with a few others, and then just nonchalantly sail away after freeing his sister. You'd think someone would question that.
Hey, the Ironborn built a fleet of 1,000 ships in about a month and a half on an island with a tiny population and no trees. Then they sailed to the East and picked up the golden army in a day and a half. Who are we to question them?
Jaymann
Black Lives Matter
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

Jaymann wrote: Tue Apr 16, 2019 10:39 am
Hey, the Ironborn built a fleet of 1,000 ships in about a month and a half on an island with a tiny population and no trees. Then they sailed to the East and picked up the golden army in a day and a half. Who are we to question them?
Nerds?
He won. Period.
Daveman

Post by Daveman »

My memory is failing me... how did they end things with Melisandre? I don't recall her dying, maybe just leaving depressed after Shireen and Stannis' defeat?

The end times have arrived, this is seemingly the big conflict she'd been preaching about and now she's gone? Seems like her part of the story has just been put aside?
ImLawBoy
Forum Admin

Post by ImLawBoy »

Daveman wrote: Tue Apr 16, 2019 11:52 am My memory is failing me... how did they end things with Melisandre? I don't recall her dying, maybe just leaving depressed after Shireen and Stannis' defeat?

The end times have arrived, this is seemingly the big conflict she'd been preaching about and now she's gone? Seems like her part of the story has just been put aside?
I believe Jon exiled her, and her return would be on penalty of death. I still suspect she'll show up at some point.
That's my purse! I don't know you!
Holman

Post by Holman »

ImLawBoy wrote: Tue Apr 16, 2019 11:55 am
Daveman wrote: Tue Apr 16, 2019 11:52 am My memory is failing me... how did they end things with Melisandre? I don't recall her dying, maybe just leaving depressed after Shireen and Stannis' defeat?

I believe Jon exiled her, and her return would be on penalty of death. I still suspect she'll show up at some point.
Wikipedia describes her season 7 activity (on her character page) like so:
Melisandre arrives on Dragonstone, which is now occupied by Daenerys Targaryen. Melisandre claims that both she and Jon (who has been crowned King in the North since her exile) are the "prince that was promised", and suggests that Daenerys summon Jon to Dragonstone to hear of his experiences fighting the White Walkers. When Jon and Davos arrive on Dragonstone to meet Daenerys, Melisandre avoids them and decides to return to Volantis. Although Daenerys' advisor Varys warns that Melisandre will not be safe if she ever returns to Westeros, she declares that she will eventually make one final journey to Westeros to die.
Daveman

Post by Daveman »

Thanks! Need to get my memory checked!
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

One bummer is that this season seemingly basically has Tyrion still on his seasons-long losing streak. He peaked in season two, and since then he really hasn't had much in the way of awesome moments - mostly a replacement level player at best. Would be nice to see him get one more moment in the sun before the show ends.
Black Lives Matter.
coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

I want a heroes ending for Tyrion, but I just don't see it being in the cards. I am not sure anyone gets a heroes ending here... or perhaps I am wrong and the twist will be that the good guys actually win for once and everyone lives happily ever after.
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

coopasonic wrote: Tue Apr 16, 2019 1:59 pm I want a heroes ending for Tyrion, but I just don't see it being in the cards. I am not sure anyone gets a heroes ending here... or perhaps I am wrong and the twist will be that the good guys actually win for once and everyone lives happily ever after.
I don't need a heroes ending for him, I just want him to have at least one more moment of excellence. Maybe he convinces Jaime to return south and rally the Lannister army to follow him (which would be plausible, since Jaime was their general, and armies are often more loyal to their general than to their sovereign).
Black Lives Matter.
Redfive

Post by Redfive »

I hope Jaime gets a full redemption, I think that's what at least a part of him craves.

EDIT: And the preview scenes for next week seem to possibly set that up.
Battle.net: red51ve#1673
Elder Scrolls Online - @redfive
Holman

Post by Holman »

El Guapo wrote: Tue Apr 16, 2019 2:03 pm
coopasonic wrote: Tue Apr 16, 2019 1:59 pm I want a heroes ending for Tyrion, but I just don't see it being in the cards. I am not sure anyone gets a heroes ending here... or perhaps I am wrong and the twist will be that the good guys actually win for once and everyone lives happily ever after.
I don't need a heroes ending for him, I just want him to have at least one more moment of excellence. Maybe he convinces Jaime to return south and rally the Lannister army to follow him (which would be plausible, since Jaime was their general, and armies are often more loyal to their general than to their sovereign).
I hope there will be something like that.

Tyrion's arc has been to go from witty cynic to wise (if pessimistic) counselor. As Daeny's Hand, he is the conscience of a good ruler, and that's something GRRM knows medieval writers spilled a lot of ink over. I'd love to see him have some great triumph that only his brains and his ascended values could bring about.
rittchard

Post by rittchard »

Holman wrote: Tue Apr 16, 2019 6:04 pm
El Guapo wrote: Tue Apr 16, 2019 2:03 pm
I hope there will be something like that.

Tyrion's arc has been to go from witty cynic to wise (if pessimistic) counselor. As Daeny's Hand, he is the conscience of a good ruler, and that's something GRRM knows medieval writers spilled a lot of ink over. I'd love to see him have some great triumph that only his brains and his ascended values could bring about.
I wouldn't be too surprised if he ends up sitting on the Iron Throne for whatever reasons. He is clearly one of GRRM's favorite characters, if not his absolute favorite.
gameoverman

Post by gameoverman »

Holman wrote: Tue Apr 16, 2019 6:04 pmTyrion's arc has been to go from witty cynic to wise (if pessimistic) counselor. As Daeny's Hand, he is the conscience of a good ruler, and that's something GRRM knows medieval writers spilled a lot of ink over. I'd love to see him have some great triumph that only his brains and his ascended values could bring about.
I think Tyrion is headed for a bittersweet ending. Happy would be someone deserving sitting on the Iron Throne, Tyrion would like that. I don't think that's going to happen. At best it's going to be "Well, at least my sister Cersei isn't sitting on that throne now". My guess is that about as happy as it's going to get is if he gets to see his brother redeem himself. It's going to be tough to pull off a great individual triumph, there are so many players in the endgame. Things have their own momentum now and I don't think any individual has much ability to alter the course of events that much. Even Bran wouldn't tell Jon about his parents, and Bran has supernatural power.
Jaymann

Post by Jaymann »

Holman wrote: Mon Apr 15, 2019 8:47 pm
Hey, it's not like Hodors grow on trees!
No, but three-eyed ravens do.
Jaymann
Black Lives Matter
Z-Corn

Post by Z-Corn »

Isgrimnur wrote: Mon Apr 15, 2019 2:54 pm
Daveman wrote: Mon Apr 15, 2019 2:42 pm Expecting there would be some action/bloodbath to cap off the premier I was waiting for the seemingly disposable lesser characters (Tormund, Beric and company) to die at the end there. Was surprised to see no one die.
Several Iron Fleet sailors and the Lord of House Umber, Ned...
Did you see who did cameos as the sailors? Mac from Always Sunny and Martin Starr!

https://www.buzzfeed.com/lyapalater/mac ... d-cameo-in
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

It would be nice to see GRRM make a cameo in the Maester's library, perhaps chained to a table and being forced to write on scrolls.
Maybe next year, maybe no go
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

gameoverman wrote: Tue Apr 16, 2019 11:32 pm
Holman wrote: Tue Apr 16, 2019 6:04 pmTyrion's arc has been to go from witty cynic to wise (if pessimistic) counselor. As Daeny's Hand, he is the conscience of a good ruler, and that's something GRRM knows medieval writers spilled a lot of ink over. I'd love to see him have some great triumph that only his brains and his ascended values could bring about.
I think Tyrion is headed for a bittersweet ending. Happy would be someone deserving sitting on the Iron Throne, Tyrion would like that. I don't think that's going to happen. At best it's going to be "Well, at least my sister Cersei isn't sitting on that throne now". My guess is that about as happy as it's going to get is if he gets to see his brother redeem himself. It's going to be tough to pull off a great individual triumph, there are so many players in the endgame. Things have their own momentum now and I don't think any individual has much ability to alter the course of events that much. Even Bran wouldn't tell Jon about his parents, and Bran has supernatural power.
I think he's going to wind up as Lord of Casterly Rock - finally getting the seat that ought to have been his but which his father (and others) denied him.

Also with the limited time that the show has left, I doubt there's enough time to both defeat the Night King *and* have some drawn out conflict over the Iron Throne. So I feel like the latter has to have some more talky-talky type resolution than a set up to some big battle - maybe Tyrion negotiates with the Golden Company and gets them to break their contract with Cersei in exchange for some restoration of Blackfyre holdings (which, although not covered on the show, is part of the Golden Company's reason for existing).
Black Lives Matter.
gameoverman

Post by gameoverman »

Him getting Casterly Rock would be bittersweet. Yeah he should have got it but now what's the point? His family is decimated, and his dad is dead so he can't even have the satisfaction of seeing his dad's reaction to Tyrion taking over the family.
noxiousdog

Post by noxiousdog »

gameoverman wrote: Wed Apr 17, 2019 1:09 pm Him getting Casterly Rock would be bittersweet. Yeah he should have got it but now what's the point? His family is decimated, and his dad is dead so he can't even have the satisfaction of seeing his dad's reaction to Tyrion taking over the family.
He'll be the Lord of Winterfell.
Black Lives Matter

"To wield Grond, the mighty hammer of the Federal Government, is to be intoxicated with power beyond what you and I can reckon (though I figure we can ball park it pretty good with computers and maths). Need to tunnel through a mountain? Grond. Kill a mighty ogre? Grond. Hangnail? Grond. Spider? Grond (actually, that's a legit use, moreso than the rest)." - Peacedog
Holman

Post by Holman »

If someone other than Cersei is on the throne, isn't Jaime no longer on the Kingsguard? In that case, does he become Lord of Casterly Rock?
noxiousdog

Post by noxiousdog »

Holman wrote: Wed Apr 17, 2019 2:23 pm If someone other than Cersei is on the throne, isn't Jaime no longer on the Kingsguard? In that case, does he become Lord of Casterly Rock?
I can see that happening as well, though in all reality, I expect him to die.
Black Lives Matter

"To wield Grond, the mighty hammer of the Federal Government, is to be intoxicated with power beyond what you and I can reckon (though I figure we can ball park it pretty good with computers and maths). Need to tunnel through a mountain? Grond. Kill a mighty ogre? Grond. Hangnail? Grond. Spider? Grond (actually, that's a legit use, moreso than the rest)." - Peacedog
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

Holman wrote: Wed Apr 17, 2019 2:23 pm If someone other than Cersei is on the throne, isn't Jaime no longer on the Kingsguard? In that case, does he become Lord of Casterly Rock?
He's already out of the Kingsguard - Tommen removes him after making nice with the Faith Militant, on the grounds of Jaime participating in the Tyrell attempt to squash the Faith Militant.

But yeah, I suppose that would make Jaime the rightful heir to Casterly Rock, if he survives.
Black Lives Matter.
Holman

Post by Holman »

Who's lord of CR right now? Some uncle?