Game of Thrones Season 8

Everything else!

Moderators: Bakhtosh, EvilHomer3k

$iljanus
Forum Moderator

Re: Game of Thrones Season 8

Post by $iljanus »

Jaymann wrote:I'm not convinced Arya can carry a spinoff. Her time in Braavos got rather annoying.
I'll think she'll do great when she sails all the way to Westworld. She'll get along quite well with Maeve!
Black lives matter!

Wise words of warning from Smoove B: Oh, how you all laughed when I warned you about the semen. Well, who's laughing now?
McNutt

Post by McNutt »

The show also has a good history of pairing quality actors with interesting characters. They definitely have a good chance with a show around Arya.

EvilHomer3k
Forum Moderator

Post by EvilHomer3k »

Holman wrote: Mon May 20, 2019 6:12 pm

This is astonishing.

I guess the fact that this was (generally) pre-cable, so there were fewer viewing options? But still.
No, it wasn't pre-cable (which actually started as early as 1948). It was pre-modern internet and cable had 'only' about 35 channels. You are absolutely right about fewer viewing options. I don't think we realize just how much content is available today. Youtube alone dwarfs what was available in 1983 at 7:00 on a Monday.
That sound of the spoon scraping over the can ribbing as you corral the last ravioli or two is the signal that a great treat is coming. It's the washboard solo in God's own
bluegrass band of comfort food. - LawBeefaroni
WYBaugh

Post by WYBaugh »

Big resounding meh.

Have read the books. Watched this last season with the wife.

I'm amazed at how out of character they made Tyrion. And Arya...so I'm going to go kill Cersei, I'm right there but nm..ur rite Sandor, I'm gone. She did absolutely nothing at the finish of the show other than one shoting the stupid looking snow miser.

And for everything that has gone on with the warring houses, they're all going to sit around, listen to Tyrion and nod and accept a cripple for the 'iron throne'

Just a horrible ending.

If this is the true ending as Martin wants I'm glad I only wasted the time watching the last episodes and not on his 1000 page tomes.
McNutt

Post by McNutt »

I doubt this is even close to his ending. Plus, we have to figure out what's going on with the deadish Stark mom.
Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

McNutt wrote:I doubt this is even close to his ending. Plus, we have to figure out what's going on with the deadish Stark mom.
Also the deadish Brienne.
McNutt

Post by McNutt »

Holy crap! I forgot about how they left her in the book. What did she yell???
Ralph-Wiggum

Post by Ralph-Wiggum »

pr0ner wrote:
Jaddison wrote: Mon May 20, 2019 5:58 pm Question maybe those of you with sharp eyes may know.

At the start of the episode Jon is forced to disarm to be in the presence of Dany. Her guard were always with her.

Then in the climatic scene Jon walks in fully armed. He would have had to pass through her guard again or did I miss something? Perhaps he was disarmed earlier?
He disarmed to go see Tyrion. He put his sword back on after talking with him.
Regardless, it’s pretty silly that there were about five guards guarding Tyrion and making Jon disarm (are they worried he’s going to kill Tyrion?) and no guards with Dany. Yes, I know the dragon was at the door, but how could she not have any guards following her around?
Black Lives Matter
gameoverman

Post by gameoverman »

Ralph-Wiggum wrote: Mon May 20, 2019 7:03 pm
pr0ner wrote:
Jaddison wrote: Mon May 20, 2019 5:58 pm Question maybe those of you with sharp eyes may know.

At the start of the episode Jon is forced to disarm to be in the presence of Dany. Her guard were always with her.

Then in the climatic scene Jon walks in fully armed. He would have had to pass through her guard again or did I miss something? Perhaps he was disarmed earlier?
He disarmed to go see Tyrion. He put his sword back on after talking with him.
Regardless, it’s pretty silly that there were about five guards guarding Tyrion and making Jon disarm (are they worried he’s going to kill Tyrion?) and no guards with Dany. Yes, I know the dragon was at the door, but how could she not have any guards following her around?
She was going to the throne to finally, after all the shiat she'd been through and done, sit her ass down and fulfill her destiny. I don't think she wanted anyone around at that moment, certainly not some flunkies. It was almost erotic, with the chair made up of long sharp swords...I mean, if you're into that sort of thing. Jon only made it there because he has a dragon pass.
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

I just keep seeing a future with the most annoying king of all time. Constantly telling everyone, “I knew you were gonna say that” and “ I knew that was gonna happen”. After about a year, I would fully expect most of Kings Landing would leave one night without telling anyone.

The finale was completely unsatisfying, by the way. I feel like it almost single handedly diminished all the stories that came before it.

Also, I still want a Quantum Leap series set in Westeros and featuring Bran warging through time with a smart alec raven named Al.
He won. Period.
Rumpy

Post by Rumpy »

$iljanus wrote: Mon May 20, 2019 6:14 pm
Jaymann wrote:I'm not convinced Arya can carry a spinoff. Her time in Braavos got rather annoying.
I'll think she'll do great when she sails all the way to Westworld. She'll get along quite well with Maeve!
What if Westeros is really just the fantasy equivalent to Westworld? ;) Game indeed!

"You too can ride dragons in Delos' latest addition to its family of theme parks." :D
PC:
Ryzen 5 3600
32GB RAM
2x1TB NVMe Drives
GTX 1660 Ti
$iljanus
Forum Moderator

Post by $iljanus »

hepcat wrote:I just keep seeing a future with the most annoying king of all time. Constantly telling everyone, “I knew you were gonna say that” and “ I knew that was gonna happen”. After about a year, I would fully expect most of Kings Landing would leave one night without telling anyone.

The finale was completely unsatisfying, by the way. I feel like it almost single handedly diminished all the stories that came before it.
Or sagely saying "I know YOU are but what...am I?"
Black lives matter!

Wise words of warning from Smoove B: Oh, how you all laughed when I warned you about the semen. Well, who's laughing now?
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

Somebody needs to take the final few minutes of the series finale and dub Journey’s Don’t Stop Believing over it.
He won. Period.
Holman

Post by Holman »

EvilHomer3k wrote: Mon May 20, 2019 6:43 pm
Holman wrote: Mon May 20, 2019 6:12 pm

This is astonishing.

I guess the fact that this was (generally) pre-cable, so there were fewer viewing options? But still.
No, it wasn't pre-cable (which actually started as early as 1948). It was pre-modern internet and cable had 'only' about 35 channels. You are absolutely right about fewer viewing options. I don't think we realize just how much content is available today. Youtube alone dwarfs what was available in 1983 at 7:00 on a Monday.
Yeah, still. I was there. (We had Showtime in 1981.) Cable was for movies or special events while network TV was for ongoing series that everyone shared.

There were no cable series or miniseries of consequence at the time. ABC/NBC/CBS (and maybe PBS, a little) owned the eyeballs. Nothing that cable offered could command half the households in America on a single night.
Much prefer my Nazis Nuremberged.
Holman

Post by Holman »

EvilHomer3k
Forum Moderator

Post by EvilHomer3k »

Saw this over at GWJ.

https://twitter.com/FoldableHuman/statu ... 9593783296

If you watched MASH you probably get the reference.
That sound of the spoon scraping over the can ribbing as you corral the last ravioli or two is the signal that a great treat is coming. It's the washboard solo in God's own
bluegrass band of comfort food. - LawBeefaroni
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

McNutt wrote:I doubt this is even close to his ending. Plus, we have to figure out what's going on with the deadish Stark mom.
GRRM has said that the broad strokes are the same. Some parts will be different, but I would say it's virtually certain that Dany burns King's Landing, Jon kills Danny, and Bran becomes King.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Black Lives Matter.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

What a twist!
It's almost as if people are the problem.
Toe

Post by Toe »

McNutt wrote: Mon May 20, 2019 10:33 am My favorite part was Sansa telling Edmure Tully to sit down after he started pathetically making a case to be named King.
That part actually bugged me a little bit. If Edmure gets to vote (which he did), he should have been allowed to state his case (however weak). On top of that, Sansa is pulling out of the "kingdoms" so should not get to vote or tell the voters anything.
Toe

Post by Toe »

Isgrimnur wrote: Mon May 20, 2019 12:52 pm I look forward to the sequel series:

Game of Thrones: The Unsullied vs. the Butterflies
Someone should mod Totalwar so we can have some battles between the unsullied and butterflies.
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

Toe wrote: Tue May 21, 2019 10:14 am
McNutt wrote: Mon May 20, 2019 10:33 am My favorite part was Sansa telling Edmure Tully to sit down after he started pathetically making a case to be named King.
That part actually bugged me a little bit. If Edmure gets to vote (which he did), he should have been allowed to state his case (however weak). On top of that, Sansa is pulling out of the "kingdoms" so should not get to vote or tell the voters anything.
To be fair, Sansa tells him to STFU before she raises the issue of Northern independence. And I don't think she ever actually votes on the selection of the new king.
Black Lives Matter.
ImLawBoy
Forum Admin

Post by ImLawBoy »

El Guapo wrote: Tue May 21, 2019 10:20 am
Toe wrote: Tue May 21, 2019 10:14 am
To be fair, Sansa tells him to STFU before she raises the issue of Northern independence. And I don't think she ever actually votes on the selection of the new king.
Also to be fair, everyone there really wanted Edmure to STFU.
That's my purse! I don't know you!
Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

Also to be fair, that entire scene made absolutely no logical sense whatsoever.
ImLawBoy
Forum Admin

Post by ImLawBoy »

Right. It was another short cut used to get to the ending instead of taking a full episode to decide.
That's my purse! I don't know you!
Jaymann

Post by Jaymann »

It would only have made sense if they had named King Grey Worm, First of his Name.
Jaymann
]==(:::::::::::::>
Black Lives Matter
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

Zaxxon wrote: Tue May 21, 2019 10:29 am Also to be fair, that entire scene made absolutely no logical sense whatsoever.
I dunno. The idea of basically having a council pick the next ruler, particularly when the two main claimants to the throne were dead and the main potential rival claimant is imprisoned for killing one of said claimants, makes a lot of sense (and has happened before in Westeros). The whole thing was a little impromptu and informal, but it was a fairly logical outgrowth of the main issue before the council (what to do with Jon Snow), which is pretty interrelated with the issue of who is going to be the King / Queen.
Black Lives Matter.
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

Jaymann wrote: Tue May 21, 2019 10:31 am It would only have made sense if they had named King Grey Worm, First of his Name.
Actually while Grey Worm was talking there I was like "hmmm, I may have underestimated the odds of King Grey Worm here". Since he was, after all, in command of the main surviving army in the capital city in the midst of a succession crisis.
Black Lives Matter.
Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

El Guapo wrote: Tue May 21, 2019 10:34 am
Zaxxon wrote: Tue May 21, 2019 10:29 am Also to be fair, that entire scene made absolutely no logical sense whatsoever.
I dunno. The idea of basically having a council pick the next ruler, particularly when the two main claimants to the throne were dead and the main potential rival claimant is imprisoned for killing one of said claimants, makes a lot of sense (and has happened before in Westeros). The whole thing was a little impromptu and informal, but it was a fairly logical outgrowth of the main issue before the council (what to do with Jon Snow), which is pretty interrelated with the issue of who is going to be the King / Queen.
I don't mean the idea of that scene. I mean the execution. The North secedes, but Dorne et al don't even attempt renegotiation around this fact? And about fifty other complaints.
noxiousdog

Post by noxiousdog »

Zaxxon wrote: Tue May 21, 2019 10:40 am
El Guapo wrote: Tue May 21, 2019 10:34 am
I don't mean the idea of that scene. I mean the execution. The North secedes, but Dorne et al don't even attempt renegotiation around this fact? And about fifty other complaints.
Nobody really seemed to care about the North being in the 7 Kingdoms except the Lannisters and Danerys.
Black Lives Matter

"To wield Grond, the mighty hammer of the Federal Government, is to be intoxicated with power beyond what you and I can reckon (though I figure we can ball park it pretty good with computers and maths). Need to tunnel through a mountain? Grond. Kill a mighty ogre? Grond. Hangnail? Grond. Spider? Grond (actually, that's a legit use, moreso than the rest)." - Peacedog
Holman

Post by Holman »

Just saw it pointed out that, judging from the scene when Tyrion finds them, Jaime and Cersei would have lived if they'd stepped a few feet to one side.
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

Grey Worm would have been a terrible choice, for the same reason that Jon was still alive. The man was a slave, then a soldier in the most disciplined, regimented, loyal army there was. He was a great soldier, but he'd never, in his entire life, had to make a decision not related to war and covered by procedure. I doubt he's ever had an original thought, and without someone to tell him what to do, he'd be stuck in some sort of perpetual decision paralysis. Again, Jon still being alive.
(˙pǝsɹǝʌǝɹ uǝǝq sɐɥ ʎʇıʌɐɹƃ ʃɐuosɹǝd ʎW)
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

Blackhawk wrote: Tue May 21, 2019 11:21 am Grey Worm would have been a terrible choice, for the same reason that Jon was still alive. The man was a slave, then a soldier in the most disciplined, regimented, loyal army there was. He was a great soldier, but he'd never, in his entire life, had to make a decision not related to war and covered by procedure. I doubt he's ever had an original thought, and without someone to tell him what to do, he'd be stuck in some sort of perpetual decision paralysis. Again, Jon still being alive.
Oh, I don't think they would ever choose Grey Worm. It's more that, had he been so inclined, he had a shot at seizing the throne by force, by virtue of being in charge of what might have been the strongest and most coherent remaining army in Westeros (and also holding the capital).
Black Lives Matter.
msteelers

Post by msteelers »

There’s a comment early on in the council where Grey Worm says his army controls the city and Sansa (I believe) states that they have an equal army ready to fight. Davos steps forward and says they need to come up with a peaceful solution.

I forget the specific language, but it implies that Grey Worm wasn’t a lock to win the fight.
msteelers

Post by msteelers »

And controlling the capital city only means controlling the city. Cersei was queen of the 7 realms in name only. She had no actual power outside of Kings Landing. None of the other realms would have knelt before the Unsullied, even if they couldn’t knock them out of the capital.
malchior

Post by malchior »

Exactly. That a meeting to deal with meting justice out to a prisoner ended with him designing the current and future state of the kingdom....was preposterous. This episode and that scene in particular is a decent example of the meta problems that the series got into.
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

msteelers wrote: Tue May 21, 2019 11:39 am There’s a comment early on in the council where Grey Worm says his army controls the city and Sansa (I believe) states that they have an equal army ready to fight. Davos steps forward and says they need to come up with a peaceful solution.

I forget the specific language, but it implies that Grey Worm wasn’t a lock to win the fight.
Yeah, Sansa counters with Northmen outside the walls, so it wouldn't be a lock. I tend to assume that you'd pick the Unsullied in a fight like that since the Northmen are presumably more depleted after the War of the FIve Kings + the Northern civil war + everything else, and the Unsullied are one of the most famous and disciplined fighting groups around.

Plus Grey Worm probably could have had everyone at that council meeting killed on the spot were he so inclined.

Anyway, it's not that he could easily take the throne guaranteed if he wanted to, it's more that he has a lot of power in that situation.
Black Lives Matter.
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

malchior wrote: Tue May 21, 2019 11:43 am
Exactly. That a meeting to deal with meting justice out to a prisoner ended with him designing the current and future state of the kingdom....was preposterous. This episode and that scene in particular is a decent example of the meta problems that the series got into.
But most of the council had no real issue with Tyrion at that point. He was imprisoned by a now dead quasi-Queen that most of the people there (outside of Yara and *maybe* the new Prince of Dorne) didn't really care for at this point. They needed to placate Grey Worm's concerns (and Grey Worm probably cared more about Jon than Tyrion), but once that's done the council itself wouldn't really have an issue discussing this stuff with Tyrion.
Black Lives Matter.
Holman

Post by Holman »

Yeah. Rule in the Seven Six Kingdoms requires alliances, not force alone.

For example, wasn't it pointed out a few seasons back that the Reach was the breadbasket of King's Landing and that the city couldn't survive without its food shipments?

(Speaking of which, who controls the Reach now? It was the Tyrells, but then the Lannisters took them down. Presumably the Unsullied haven't marched over to seize it, so whatever Lannister forces and cousins control it could easily strangle the city. Seems like this could be a problem for Grey Worm, who is holding the new head of the Lannister family as hostage.)
Sepiche

Post by Sepiche »

Holman wrote: Tue May 21, 2019 11:49 am (Speaking of which, who controls the Reach now? It was the Tyrells, but then the Lannisters took them down. Presumably the Unsullied haven't marched over to seize it, so whatever Lannister forces and cousins control it could easily strangle the city. Seems like this could be a problem for Grey Worm, who is holding the new head of the Lannister family as hostage.)
Bronn is Lord of Highgarden and Lord Paramount of the Mander (Reach).

The ending indicated Greyworm and the Unsullied were leaving Westeros to liberate Missandei's home city.
Last edited by Sepiche on Tue May 21, 2019 11:55 am, edited 1 time in total.
Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

Holman wrote: Tue May 21, 2019 11:49 am(Speaking of which, who controls the Reach now? It was the Tyrells, but then the Lannisters took them down. Presumably the Unsullied haven't marched over to seize it, so whatever Lannister forces and cousins control it could easily strangle the city. Seems like this could be a problem for Grey Worm, who is holding the new head of the Lannister family as hostage.)
Bronn is Lord of Highgarden now.

[Edit: SEPIIICCHEEE!!!]