Game of Thrones Season 8

Everything else!

Moderators: Bakhtosh, EvilHomer3k

Jaymann

Re: Game of Thrones Season 8

Post by Jaymann »

I like it. Almost like a full movie each episode.
Jaymann
]==(:::::::::::::>
Black Lives Matter
Rumpy

Post by Rumpy »

Yeah, but it makes them less bingeable. Also 8 episodes makes it sound like there'd be less content, but there's not. You could effectively split the longer episodes into making more episodes to spread things out more. The tactic of a longer episode I see working best with the finale.
PC:
Ryzen 5 3600
32GB RAM
2x1TB NVMe Drives
GTX 1660 Ti
Combustible Lemur

Post by Combustible Lemur »

Rumpy wrote:Yeah, but it makes them less bingeable. Also 8 episodes makes it sound like there'd be less content, but there's not. You could effectively split the longer episodes into making more episodes to spread things out more. The tactic of a longer episode I see working best with the finale.
One would presume they're split narratively and thematically. Large battles major troop movement, filial story tie-ups. I rather this than weird editing for arbitrary time restraints.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

Is Scott home? thump thump thump Crash ......No.
morlac

Post by morlac »

Rumpy wrote: Fri Mar 15, 2019 9:16 pm Yeah, but it makes them less bingeable. Also 8 episodes makes it sound like there'd be less content, but there's not. You could effectively split the longer episodes into making more episodes to spread things out more. The tactic of a longer episode I see working best with the finale.
I can't imagine they care about making the last season "bingeable". I'm not sure if you are invested in the 9 year run of this series how you could wait until the end to binge the last season but maybe that's just me? Now, I am binging the the first 7 seasons in anticipation. I am up to episode 9 of season 2.
Rumpy

Post by Rumpy »

No, you're right and I don't even generally do that. It's just that at those extended lengths, I'm less likely to watch an episode in a single sitting. It's hard enough for me to get time for an hour with the TV in the evening, let alone an hour and a half. I'm not the only one in the household and we only have one TV. It tends to get occupied for large blocks of time. To get the TV for that long not just for one episode, but 4 weeks in a row is going to require some strategy.
PC:
Ryzen 5 3600
32GB RAM
2x1TB NVMe Drives
GTX 1660 Ti
Grifman

Post by Grifman »

Rumpy wrote: Sat Mar 16, 2019 1:25 pm No, you're right and I don't even generally do that. It's just that at those extended lengths, I'm less likely to watch an episode in a single sitting. It's hard enough for me to get time for an hour with the TV in the evening, let alone an hour and a half. I'm not the only one in the household and we only have one TV. It tends to get occupied for large blocks of time. To get the TV for that long not just for one episode, but 4 weeks in a row is going to require some strategy.
You don't have to watch it live, you've got a whole week to find 90 minutes sometime to watch an episode if you choose to stream it.
Tolerance is the virtue of the man without convictions. – G.K. Chesterton
Rumpy

Post by Rumpy »

Not really the way my provider works, unfortunately. They tend to be behind when it comes to making episodes available anyway. I've seen some episodes of some shows skipped entirely. Besides, it's a show I rather watch live.
PC:
Ryzen 5 3600
32GB RAM
2x1TB NVMe Drives
GTX 1660 Ti
Grifman

Post by Grifman »

People worried about the writers doing something crazy should rest easy. The ending has been described as "surprising, but satisfying". Killing off all our heroes and letting Cersi or someone of her ilk take over wouldn't be satisfying.

So here's my prediction:
Spoiler:
Dany wants to "break the wheel" that has cause constant turmoil among the great houses and suffering for rich and poor alike. She has also been questioned by Tyrion about the succession and put him off. The problem is that the Iron Throne itself is the problem. Sure, she or John would be a great/good ruler but what about afterwards? The "goodness" of the Iron Throne is too dependent on who holds the Iron Throne, as history amply shows. To "break the wheel", you actually to break it, not just put in new spokes. The obvious solution, hinted at by her treatment of the slaver cities is a constitutional monarchy, a king with limited powers, with representation of the great houses in a Senate/House of Lords, and representation for the commons in a House of Commons. Each two lets of the triad will keep the other one in check.

You can't go full republic/democracy because as her experience in Slavers' Bay shows, you can turn society upside down all at once. You have to ease people into, which is what a constitutional monarchy would do. Over time the monarchy would become less and less powerful, more of a figurehead, and the same with the House of Lords (as seen in Great Britain).
Will, this really happen? Probably not, but I think it makes the most sense given her publicly stated goal.
Grifman

Post by Grifman »

On a personal note of interest, after watching the last episode of Season 7, I realize that I have been to the Dragons Pit in Kings Landing. They did do some digital alteration to the real life location, but it was fun to realize I’ve been there :D
rittchard

Post by rittchard »

Grifman wrote: Sat Mar 16, 2019 6:12 pm People worried about the writers doing something crazy should rest easy. The ending has been described as "surprising, but satisfying". Killing off all our heroes and letting Cersi or someone of her ilk take over wouldn't be satisfying.

So here's my prediction:
Spoiler:
Dany wants to "break the wheel" that has cause constant turmoil among the great houses and suffering for rich and poor alike. She has also been questioned by Tyrion about the succession and put him off. The problem is that the Iron Throne itself is the problem. Sure, she or John would be a great/good ruler but what about afterwards? The "goodness" of the Iron Throne is too dependent on who holds the Iron Throne, as history amply shows. To "break the wheel", you actually to break it, not just put in new spokes. The obvious solution, hinted at by her treatment of the slaver cities is a constitutional monarchy, a king with limited powers, with representation of the great houses in a Senate/House of Lords, and representation for the commons in a House of Commons. Each two lets of the triad will keep the other one in check.

You can't go full republic/democracy because as her experience in Slavers' Bay shows, you can turn society upside down all at once. You have to ease people into, which is what a constitutional monarchy would do. Over time the monarchy would become less and less powerful, more of a figurehead, and the same with the House of Lords (as seen in Great Britain).
Will, this really happen? Probably not, but I think it makes the most sense given her publicly stated goal.
I like your prediction, but I think they have slightly bigger problems to deal with first. Like lots of freaking zombies lol!!!!! :binky: :binky: :binky:
Jeff V

Post by Jeff V »

Grifman wrote: Sat Mar 16, 2019 6:12 pm People worried about the writers doing something crazy should rest easy. The ending has been described as "surprising, but satisfying". Killing off all our heroes and letting Cersi or someone of her ilk take over wouldn't be satisfying.
My prediction -
Spoiler:
From the preface of the first book, this has been a saga of Starks. I think the expectation is for Dany and Jon to wind up in what we know would be an incestuous relationship, but hey, they look cute together. The one Stark with superpowers (Bran) hasn't yet been fully developed and is a good surprise candidate that, assuming his story doesn't take a ridiculous turn, would qualify as "surprising, but satisfying."

I also give equal chance for an oligarchy with the great houses having more or less equal representation. Just which houses survive to still be great remains to be seen.
Black Lives Matter
Moliere

Post by Moliere »

Daenerys Targaryen suffers brain aneurysm after Season 1
Finally, I was sent for an MRI, a brain scan. The diagnosis was quick and ominous: a subarachnoid hemorrhage (SAH), a life-threatening type of stroke, caused by bleeding into the space surrounding the brain. I’d had an aneurysm, an arterial rupture. As I later learned, about a third of SAH patients die immediately or soon thereafter. For the patients who do survive, urgent treatment is required to seal off the aneurysm, as there is a very high risk of a second, often fatal bleed. If I was to live and avoid terrible deficits, I would have to have urgent surgery. And, even then, there were no guarantees.

I was taken by ambulance to the National Hospital for Neurology and Neurosurgery, a beautiful redbrick Victorian pile in central London. It was nighttime. My mum slept in my hospital ward, slumped in a chair, as I kept falling in and out of sleep, in a state of drugged wooziness, shooting pain, and persistent nightmares.

I remember being told that I should sign a release form for surgery. Brain surgery? I was in the middle of my very busy life—I had no time for brain surgery. But, finally, I settled down and signed. And then I was unconscious. For the next three hours, surgeons went about repairing my brain. This would not be my last surgery, and it would not be the worst. I was twenty-four years old.
"The world is suffering more today from the good people who want to mind other men's business than it is from the bad people who are willing to let everybody look after their own individual affairs." - Clarence Darrow
Jaymann

Post by Jaymann »

HBO has been free all week allowing people to binge on the first 7 seasons. I hopped on the binge train around season 4, and season 7 is today.
Jaymann
Black Lives Matter
msteelers

Post by msteelers »

I am pumped for tonight! We watched the season 7 finale last night as a quick primer for season 8. There are so many potential endings, I just hope they stick the landing.

I have no clue what will happen. The only thing I feel certain of in my bones is that
Spoiler:
Cersei gets killed off. I don’t know how or by whom, but she has to go.
Outside of that, if I was forced to predict how it’s going to end I think I would agree with Grifman.
Jaymann

Post by Jaymann »

I'm afraid that Arya has to go. She is way OP.
Jaymann
Black Lives Matter
msteelers

Post by msteelers »

Jaymann wrote:I'm afraid that Arya has to go. She is way OP.
Who is going to take her out though? I don’t see her being on the front lines against the Night King.
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

Jaymann wrote: Sun Apr 14, 2019 2:39 pm I'm afraid that Arya has to go. She is way OP.
Maybe they nerfed her in 8.0.
(˙pǝsɹǝʌǝɹ uǝǝq sɐɥ ʎʇıʌɐɹƃ ʃɐuosɹǝd ʎW)
Redfive

Post by Redfive »

msteelers wrote: Sun Apr 14, 2019 2:21 pm I am pumped for tonight! We watched the season 7 finale last night as a quick primer for season 8. There are so many potential endings, I just hope they stick the landing.

I have no clue what will happen. The only thing I feel certain of in my bones is that
Spoiler:
Cersei gets killed off. I don’t know how or by whom, but she has to go.
Outside of that, if I was forced to predict how it’s going to end I think I would agree with Grifman.
Spoiler:
By Jaime. Isn't that part of a prophecy?

I expect for sure Cesei and Jaime to go, The Hound, Theon, Gray Worm, Ser Jorah and Tormund as well.

I do not expect Jon Snow or Danerys or Tyrion to die, but you never know
Battle.net: red51ve#1673
Elder Scrolls Online - @redfive
Hrothgar

Post by Hrothgar »

HBO Go/Now have a nice section on GoT Cast Remembers. They're quick, but surprisingly entertaining. It's also nice to hear that such an epic production was also a pleasant working environment.
Grifman

Post by Grifman »

i believe Cersei's prophesy tells us exactly what is going to happen:
Spoiler:
You’ll be queen, for a time. Then comes another, younger, more beautiful, to cast you down and take all you hold dear.

That seems to be clear that Cersei will be defeated and succeeded by Daenerys.

And since the producers have promised us a satisfying but bittersweet ending, I think Jon Snow will end up sacrificing himself in battle for Daenerys (or perhaps the other way around - I don't see both of them making it through this).
Rumpy

Post by Rumpy »

Another option I could see happening:
Spoiler:
Tyrion sacrificing himself for Daenerys.
PC:
Ryzen 5 3600
32GB RAM
2x1TB NVMe Drives
GTX 1660 Ti
Holman

Post by Holman »

Just watched S8e1.

Impressions:
Spoiler:
Meh.

There was a huge amount of reunioning, which makes sense as stage-setting, but this meant that most of the episode was characters announcing each other's names and/or the camera dwelling on their emotionally conflicted faces as a sign of all they've been through over seven seasons.

Dialogue suffered too, basically because so much of it was exposition or demonstrative reaction to exposition.

Jon and Daeny continue to lack chemistry together, so their dragonride and Huge Big Kiss were almost embarrassing.

The Hound's reunion with Arya was especially disappointing. Their earlier dynamic was probably the best single thing about the series so far, and here it was played for just a few seconds of "Well, whaddya know?" Nothing of how each character has changed (and the changes have been significant, or so we thought) was evident whatsoever.

Sam's big news for Jon deserved much more than a firelit back-and-forth. This is exactly the kind of story-changing info-dump that set-piece flashbacks are made for.

Oh, and nothing we saw indicated that Euron has earned that queen.

I still think S1e1 was one of the best first episodes of any show ever. That was probably because it owed so much directly to GRRM. Nowadays we have no idea where he is.

Still, I gotta admit that the Jon/Arya reunion was very sweet, and the Jaime/Bran encounter was superb.
Much prefer my Nazis Nuremberged.
Jaymann

Post by Jaymann »

Holman wrote: Sun Apr 14, 2019 10:36 pm Just watched S8e1.

Impressions:
Spoiler:
Meh.

There was a huge amount of reunioning, which makes sense as stage-setting, but this meant that most of the episode was characters announcing each other's names and/or the camera dwelling on their emotionally conflicted faces as a sign of all they've been through over seven seasons.

Dialogue suffered too, basically because so much of it was exposition or demonstrative reaction to exposition.

Jon and Daeny continue to lack chemistry together, so their dragonride and Huge Big Kiss were almost embarrassing.

The Hound's reunion with Arya was especially disappointing. Their earlier dynamic was probably the best single thing about the series so far, and here it was played for just a few seconds of "Well, whaddya know?" Nothing of how each character has changed (and the changes have been significant, or so we thought) was evident whatsoever.

Sam's big news for Jon deserved much more than a firelit back-and-forth. This is exactly the kind of story-changing info-dump that set-piece flashbacks are made for.

I still think S1e1 was one of the best first episodes of any show ever. That was probably because it owed so much directly to GRRM. Nowadays we have no idea where he is.

Still, I gotta admit that the Jon/Arya reunion was very sweet, and the Jaime/Bran encounter was superb.
Well we probably won't have to worry about that lack of chemistry going forward...
Jaymann
Black Lives Matter
msteelers

Post by msteelers »

Impressions:
Spoiler:
Meh.

I quite liked the reunions. After every knowing glance between two characters my wife and I would share our own knowing glances.
Varys: You take great offense at dwarf jokes, but love telling eunuch jokes. Why is that?
Tyrion: Because I have balls, and you don't.

All of the internet is cheering on Jon sleeping with his Aunt Daeny. You can't get that if there isn't some chemistry on screen.
The set-piece flashback was done in the season 7 finale. It would be forced to repeat it there. Plus, it wasn't an info dump to the audience. We already knew everything said. The only thing we didn't know is how Jon would handle it. The camera focused right on what we cared about: Jon's reaction.
I couldn't read her well in that scene. She flashed a look of disgust when Euron left the room. Is she disgusted by him? Is she disgusted that she had to resort to sleeping with him in order to get what she wants? Or does it have to do with his comments about getting her pregnant?
msteelers

Post by msteelers »

Spoiler:
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

I liked the ending scene - the final reunion of sorts. I thought that was a great way to end it - by bringing us all back to how it began.
Maybe next year, maybe no go
Jaymann

Post by Jaymann »

msteelers wrote: Mon Apr 15, 2019 9:02 am

Impressions:
Spoiler:

I couldn't read her well in that scene. She flashed a look of disgust when Euron left the room. Is she disgusted by him? Is she disgusted that she had to resort to sleeping with him in order to get what she wants? Or does it have to do with his comments about getting her pregnant?

I read it as she is thinking of possibly claiming Euron is the father of her unborn child.
Jaymann
Black Lives Matter
msteelers

Post by msteelers »

Jaymann wrote: Mon Apr 15, 2019 9:49 am

Impressions:
Spoiler:

I read it as she is thinking of possibly claiming Euron is the father of her unborn child.
:doh: That would make a lot of sense.
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

I thought that was a great episode. Necessary table-setting for the upcoming Battle of Winterfell - the arrival of Danaerys's armies, preparations for the war, tensions amongst the new allies, and reunions. And just well executed and acted all around.
Black Lives Matter.
Holman

Post by Holman »

Spoiler:
The set-piece flashback was done in the season 7 finale. It would be forced to repeat it there. Plus, it wasn't an info dump to the audience. We already knew everything said. The only thing we didn't know is how Jon would handle it. The camera focused right on what we cared about: Jon's reaction.
On the flashback we've already seen and what we haven't:
Spoiler:
You're talking about young Ned at the Tower of Joy, right?

I can't seem to recall, but have we ever seen Rhaegar and Lyanna (sp?) together? Was there a brief flashback at some point to the scene at the tourney where he gives her the flower or whatever?

I have a dim memory of it, but I know we haven't really seen R and L together and in love. Considering that theirs is supposed to be one of the great love stories of this world (and one of history's turning points, in that Robert's jealousy at it is how the world really goes to shit), it seems like it deserves more than a few lines of explication spoken in the dark.

Show us the drama, peoples!
Holman

Post by Holman »

msteelers wrote: Mon Apr 15, 2019 9:21 am
Spoiler:
I didn't think it was slow. I thought it was rushed.

Too much important stuff came and went perfunctorily.

I didn't hate it, but it wasn't anywhere near the standards of the greatest GoT episodes.
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

Holman wrote: Mon Apr 15, 2019 10:35 am
Spoiler:
Spoiler:

I can't seem to recall, but have we ever seen Rhaegar and Lyanna (sp?) together? Was there a brief flashback at some point to the scene at the tourney where he gives her the flower or whatever?

I have a dim memory of it, but I know we haven't really seen R and L together and in love. Considering that theirs is supposed to be one of the great love stories of this world (and one of history's turning points, in that Robert's jealousy at it is how the world really goes to shit), it seems like it deserves more than a few lines of explication spoken in the dark.

Why is everyone using spoiler tags? Who is coming into this thread today without having watched the episode?

Anyway, we have seen a brief shot I believe through Bran-vision of Rhaegar and Lyanna getting married. I think that's it, though.
Black Lives Matter.
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

Holman wrote: Mon Apr 15, 2019 10:38 am
msteelers wrote: Mon Apr 15, 2019 9:21 am
Spoiler:
I didn't think it was slow. I thought it was rushed.

Too much important stuff came and went perfunctorily.

I didn't hate it, but it wasn't anywhere near the standards of the greatest GoT episodes.
I wouldn't say it was among the greatest, but that's a high bar at this point. I thought it did what it needed to do and did it pretty well.
Black Lives Matter.
msteelers

Post by msteelers »

Holman wrote:
Spoiler:
Spoiler:

We have seen R+L together. Their marriage, the childbirth, and L telling R their baby’s name. That was all last season. We haven’t spent a ton of time with them, but we’ve seen what we needed to.
ImLawBoy
Forum Admin

Post by ImLawBoy »

They may be saving the love story for a spin off. After all, we're down to the last handful of episodes, and with this one already filled with exposition, we didn't really need another flashback to reinforce what we already knew.

I had two quibbles with the episode. The first was Cersei whoring herself out too easily (and I only use that term because she used it first as to why she wouldn't sleep with Euron yet). Maybe its showing that she's cracking and desperate, but I thought she gave in way too easily there and looked weak.

The second was in the lead in to the ending when everyone was creeping around. It was WAY TOO FUCKING DARK! I had all the lights off and could barely see what was happening on screen.
That's my purse! I don't know you!
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

I had no issues seeing in that scene, and we had all the lights out as well.
It's almost as if people are the problem.
Holman

Post by Holman »

msteelers wrote: Mon Apr 15, 2019 10:46 am
Holman wrote:
Spoiler:
Spoiler:

We have seen R+L together. Their marriage, the childbirth, and L telling R their baby’s name. That was all last season. We haven’t spent a ton of time with them, but we’ve seen what we needed to.
Gah. Maybe I just don't remember anything ever.
JCC

Post by JCC »

(Not hiding stuff in spoiler tags - not that I am going into that many details.)

I thought the episode was great. Loved all the reunions.

I took Cersei's changing her mind to simply wanting a roll in the hay and then perhaps having a way to futher manipulate him. We all know the man she truly wants isn't available. Cersei is cold and calculating (even if she is sometimes/often wrong). I didn't see it as a sign of weakness at all - but that's just my take.
Black Lives Matter

"You know, the very powerful and the very stupid have one thing in common: they don't alter their views to fit the facts; they alter the facts to fit their views." - The 4th Doctor
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

JCC wrote: Mon Apr 15, 2019 1:01 pm (Not hiding stuff in spoiler tags - not that I am going into that many details.)

I thought the episode was great. Loved all the reunions.

I took Cersei's changing her mind to simply wanting a roll in the hay and then perhaps having a way to futher manipulate him. We all know the man she truly wants isn't available. Cersei is cold and calculating (even if she is sometimes/often wrong). I didn't see it as a sign of weakness at all - but that's just my take.
Also I think part of it is that Cersei actually does like and want him - he seems like kind of a good match for her.
Black Lives Matter.
Ralph-Wiggum

Post by Ralph-Wiggum »

I thought the episode was good in that it got through what it needed to get through, setting the pieces for the remaining episodes. As I read somewhere, they got through what we expected to happen this season (Jon riding a dragon, parentage reveal, etc.) so that they can focus on the things we aren't expecting for the rest of the season.

The only thing that was a bit cheesy was the dragon riding scene. Definitely had a strong Avatar vibe to it.
Black Lives Matter