Dark Crystal Series Prequel

Everything else!

Moderators: Bakhtosh, EvilHomer3k

LordMortis

Dark Crystal Series Prequel

Post by LordMortis »

Color my intrigued and giving one more reason to get netflix and cut the cord...

https://bloody-disgusting.com/tv/353838 ... st-images/
One of the most exciting projects coming our way next year is Netflix and the Jim Henson Company’s “The Dark Crystal: Age of Resistance,“ a television series set to be a prequel to the 1982 film, The Dark Crystal. The 10-episode fantasy adventure series takes place many years before the events of the film, and it will star an ensemble of fantastical, state-of-the-art creatures created by Jim Henson’s Creature Shop™ and Brian Froud, the original feature’s conceptual designer. And yes, we’re talking classic/old school puppets, with no CGI involved!
Truth be told I actually wasn't a huge fan of the original (who said that) as it was a little too marionette like and not enough Henson's workshop like for me at that age. I never cared for the wooden puppetry that would inspire Team America and yet I'm drawn to artistry setting down the CGI tool and what they next generation of muppeteers have to offer.
Isgrimnur

Re: Dark Crystal Series Prequel

Post by Isgrimnur »

Age of Resistance
EW can exclusively reveal that the much-anticipated The Dark Crystal: Age of Resistance will launch on Netflix Aug. 30. The 10-episode show is a prequel to the beloved Jim Henson and Frank Oz-directed 1982 puppet fantasy-adventure film, The Dark Crystal.

The show is once again set on the world of Thra and concerns three Gelflings who discover the horrifying secret behind the Skeksis’ power and set out on an epic journey to ignite the fires of rebellion and save their world. The Gelflings are voiced by Taron Egerton, Anya Taylor-Joy, and Nathalie Emmanuel.
It's almost as if people are the problem.
Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

I was pretty skeptical, as I didn't want them to destroy what was one of my favorite childhood movies.

After seeing this trailer, however, I'm 100% in. This looks amazing.

When darkness veils the world, four Warriors of Light shall come.
Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

Agreed.
morlac

Post by morlac »

Zaxxon wrote: Thu May 30, 2019 7:19 pmAgreed.
I'm a little floored actually. I have no idea if it will be good but the puppetry looks stunning. Wow.
Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

More high-profile voice actors announced for Dark Crystal
Lena Headey (Game of Thrones), Benedict Wong (Avengers: Endgame), Awkwafina (Crazy Rich Asians), Sigourney Weaver, Hannah John-Kamen (Ant-Man and The Wasp) and Dave Goelz (The Dark Crystal) have joined the voice cast for The Dark Crystal: Age of Resistance, a prequel series to the Jim Henson Company’s groundbreaking 1982 feature.
Cannot. Wait.
Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

Maybe. Fantastic actors don't always shine as voice actors. Speaking from a podium in a closed room is different from working with live actors trading lines, and not every skilled actor that has tried has pulled it off. I think Peter Dinklage is the most infamous example.
(˙pǝsɹǝʌǝɹ uǝǝq sɐɥ ʎʇıʌɐɹƃ ʃɐuosɹǝd ʎW)
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

Maybe next year, maybe no go
Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

Almost...
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

This looks insane.

Maybe next year, maybe no go
Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

Concur.
Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

Every bit of footage we've seen from this looks absolutely incredible.

Please don't suck...please don't suck...please don't suck...
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Seems to be a video game tie in

--------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.
I guess Ray Butts has ate his last pancake.
http://steamcommunity.com/id/daehawk
"Has high IQ. Refuses to apply it"
coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

So uhhhh, should I watch the movie? I am generally easily entertained but generally don't like old crap. I see the movie is on amazon prime so I am considering it.

I've also never seen Neverending Story or Labyrinth. I guess i was busy playing outside or something.
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

coopasonic wrote: Thu Sep 12, 2019 11:06 am So uhhhh, should I watch the movie? I am generally easily entertained but generally don't like old crap. I see the movie is on amazon prime so I am considering it.

I've also never seen Neverending Story or Labyrinth. I guess i was busy playing outside or something.
Watch 'em all. Although you don't need to have seen the Dark Crystal movie to 'get' the Netflix show (it's a prequel), so you can start with the show and then watch the movie (or not) if you like.
Paingod

Post by Paingod »

coopasonic wrote: Thu Sep 12, 2019 11:06 amSo uhhhh, should I watch the movie? I am generally easily entertained but generally don't like old crap.

I've also never seen Neverending Story or Labyrinth.
The best part there is that none of these things is "old crap" - old, yes. Crap, no. They were some of the best "puppet" filled fantasy movies ever made. I suppose the question is if you consider puppet-filled films "crap" by virtue of containing puppets.

The prequel goes out of its way to keep the same feeling as the original, so you wouldn't feel jarred by watching it first and then watching the movie.
Black Lives Matter

2021-01-20: The first good night's sleep I had in 4 years.
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

It took me about 3 episodes to overcome my silly notion that a show with puppets was inherently bereft of mature, exciting and thoughtful storytelling. After that though, I was completely on board and tore through the entire season in three days. I loved it, needless to say.
Covfefe!
coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

I'm pretty sure I am cool with puppets. I guess we'll see. I'll carve out some time this weekend if I can convince the kids to take a break from Naruto. :P I am *not* ok with whatever that crap is called, but that's for another thread.
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
Paingod

Post by Paingod »

hepcat wrote: Thu Sep 12, 2019 11:45 amIt took me about 3 episodes...
I think it also took about three episodes for them to stop trying to set up the world and events and just get on with the story. I did an eyeroll when we were smacked in the face with Dreamfasting in the first 45 seconds. The could have been more casual about some things they weren't. You don't need to have it all laid out piece by piece to get it and enjoy it.
Black Lives Matter

2021-01-20: The first good night's sleep I had in 4 years.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

hepcat wrote: Thu Sep 12, 2019 11:45 am It took me about 3 episodes to overcome my silly notion that a show with puppets was inherently bereft of mature, exciting and thoughtful storytelling. After that though, I was completely on board and tore through the entire season in three days. I loved it, needless to say.
You need to go watch Henson's Storyteller series now.
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

cool, will do. thanks!
Covfefe!
Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

+1 to everything already said. I think it'd actually be kinda cool to be able to watch the show without the knowledge of what happens in the movie.

I would note that while the movie was pretty creepy for it's time (and the fact that most of us were kids when we saw it), the show ratchets that factor up quite a few notches.
coopasonic wrote: Thu Sep 12, 2019 11:06 am I've also never seen Neverending Story or Labyrinth. I guess i was busy playing outside or something.
I have no idea if Labyrinth has aged well or not, as it's impossible to remove my rose-colored nostalgia glasses when watching it. I adore that movie. Even if the puppetry doesn't work for you, Bowie as Jareth is absolutely worth the price of admission.

I always thought Neverending Story was lame though.
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

Bowie makes Labyrinth required viewing for everyone.
Covfefe!
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

hepcat wrote: Thu Sep 12, 2019 12:15 pm Bowie makes Labyrinth required viewing for everyone.
Do not stare directly at the codpiece.
hentzau

Post by hentzau »

Skinypupy wrote: Thu Sep 12, 2019 12:12 pm +1 to everything already said. I think it'd actually be kinda cool to be able to watch the show without the knowledge of what happens in the movie.

I would note that while the movie was pretty creepy for it's time (and the fact that most of us were kids when we saw it), the show ratchets that factor up quite a few notches.
coopasonic wrote: Thu Sep 12, 2019 11:06 am I've also never seen Neverending Story or Labyrinth. I guess i was busy playing outside or something.
I have no idea if Labyrinth has aged well or not, as it's impossible to remove my rose-colored nostalgia glasses when watching it. I adore that movie. Even if the puppetry doesn't work for you, Bowie as Jareth is absolutely worth the price of admission.

I always thought Neverending Story was lame though.
I think the Dark Crystal has aged better than Labyrinth. Love both, but Dark Crystal...man, that was such an amazing world they built.

And that orrery! The fact that it was practical still amazes me.
“We can never allow Murania to become desecrated by the presence of surface people. Our lives are serene, our minds are superior, our accomplishments greater. Gene Autry must be captured!!!” - Queen Tika, The Phantom Empire
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

Isgrimnur wrote: Thu Sep 12, 2019 12:15 pm
hepcat wrote: Thu Sep 12, 2019 12:15 pm Bowie makes Labyrinth required viewing for everyone.
Do not stare directly at the codpiece.
Covfefe!
Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

Enlarge Image

(sorry, not sorry)
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Skinypupy wrote: Thu Sep 12, 2019 12:21 pm (sorry, not sorry)
That was going to be my next post, anyway. Thank you for taking one for the team.
Kelric

Post by Kelric »

Watched the first episode and while it was visually amazing, the uncanny valley of the Gelflings threw me off and everything just didn't click for me.
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

I was in the same boat, but once you get acclimated, it really is pretty amazing.
Covfefe!
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Blooper reel. Seeing it I wish they could do more with their mouths. They look like bad plastic surgery vain people. Trout pout.

--------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.
I guess Ray Butts has ate his last pancake.
http://steamcommunity.com/id/daehawk
"Has high IQ. Refuses to apply it"