[Movie]They Shall Not Grow Old

Everything else!

Moderators: Bakhtosh, EvilHomer3k

Grifman

[Movie]They Shall Not Grow Old

Post by Grifman »

https://deadline.com/2018/12/peter-jack ... 22089/amp/

I saw this last night and it was amazing. One of the best movies of the year. Afterwards there was a 30 minute documentary explaining how they did it, which included lip reading and adding dialogue spoken by voice actors from the specific region of Britain where the speakers were from. If you are interested in history or film making I would highly recommend seeing this.
Tolerance is the virtue of the man without convictions. – G.K. Chesterton
hepcat

Re: [Movie]They Shall Not Grow Old

Post by hepcat »

Ah damn it, I forgot about the showing near me! :grund:
He won. Period.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Looks like there are showings on December 27th.
It's almost as if people are the problem.
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

I’ll be back in Ohio still. I’ll have to see if they have any showings there. :cry:
He won. Period.
Hrothgar

Post by Hrothgar »

hepcat wrote: Tue Dec 18, 2018 10:32 pm I’ll be back in Ohio still.
But what about the restraining order?
AWS260

Post by AWS260 »

It goes into wider release early next year ("wider" being a relative term; this is a documentary, after all).
Jaymann

Post by Jaymann »

Hrothgar wrote: Wed Dec 19, 2018 1:35 am
hepcat wrote: Tue Dec 18, 2018 10:32 pm I’ll be back in Ohio still.
But what about the restraining order?
He is ok as long as he shows restraint.
Jaymann
]==(:::::::::::::>
Black Lives Matter
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

A monocle and a top hat is all I need to get around it. "That's not hepcat, that's Mr. Peanut!"
He won. Period.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Deadline
Peter Jackson’s World War I documentary They Shall Not Grow Old, which Warner Bros. acquired global rights to following the pic’s BFI London Film Fest premiere in October, drew an impressive $2.3M at last night’s Fathom Event which took place in 1,122 theaters over two showtimes (4pm & 7pm).

Fathom reports that They Shall Not Grow Old was their largest event year-to-do date at the B.O. out of 160, their largest documentary ever and the fourth largest event of all-time at the domestic B.O. Cineplex Event Screens showed the doc in Canada.

Fathom will show Jackson’s doc again in 800 locations for two shows on Dec. 27. Warners will then open They Shall Not Grow Old in New York, Los Angeles and Washington, DC, on Jan. 11, with plans to expand to the top 25 markets on Feb. 1, Super Bowl weekend.

Unfortunately, the movie isn’t eligible in Oscar’s Best Documentary category for this year because they missed the Oct. 1 filing deadline. They Shall Not Grow Old also doesn’t qualify for next year, so this is a pure admirable passion play for Warner Bros. on behalf of their Lord of the Rings and Hobbit guy Jackson.
Similar to how Dunkirk was an important topic for British director Christopher Nolan as his grandfather was a WWII vet, so is WWI for Jackson and his partner Fran Walsh: Jackson’s British grandfather fought in WWI, as did Walsh’s uncle.
It's almost as if people are the problem.
Grifman

Post by Grifman »

Isgrimnur wrote: Wed Dec 19, 2018 12:42 pm Deadline
Peter Jackson’s World War I documentary They Shall Not Grow Old, which Warner Bros. acquired global rights to following the pic’s BFI London Film Fest premiere in October, drew an impressive $2.3M at last night’s Fathom Event which took place in 1,122 theaters over two showtimes (4pm & 7pm).

Fathom reports that They Shall Not Grow Old was their largest event year-to-do date at the B.O. out of 160, their largest documentary ever and the fourth largest event of all-time at the domestic B.O. Cineplex Event Screens showed the doc in Canada.

Fathom will show Jackson’s doc again in 800 locations for two shows on Dec. 27. Warners will then open They Shall Not Grow Old in New York, Los Angeles and Washington, DC, on Jan. 11, with plans to expand to the top 25 markets on Feb. 1, Super Bowl weekend.

Unfortunately, the movie isn’t eligible in Oscar’s Best Documentary category for this year because they missed the Oct. 1 filing deadline. They Shall Not Grow Old also doesn’t qualify for next year, so this is a pure admirable passion play for Warner Bros. on behalf of their Lord of the Rings and Hobbit guy Jackson.
Similar to how Dunkirk was an important topic for British director Christopher Nolan as his grandfather was a WWII vet, so is WWI for Jackson and his partner Fran Walsh: Jackson’s British grandfather fought in WWI, as did Walsh’s uncle.
Heh, link was in the OP :)
Tolerance is the virtue of the man without convictions. – G.K. Chesterton
Anonymous Bosch

Post by Anonymous Bosch »

Trailer:

"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." — P. J. O'Rourke
Archinerd

Post by Archinerd »

I might have a chance to see it on the 27th now. I'll be out of town for the Holidays but a theater that is showing it will only be 15 minutes away from where I'm staying. All I have to do is convince someone else to go with me, so far nobody seems interested though.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Seeing that trailer again I think "Why must we do this to each other?"
--------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.
I guess Ray Butts has ate his last pancake.
http://steamcommunity.com/id/daehawk
"Has high IQ. Refuses to apply it"
em2nought

Post by em2nought »

I'm really looking forward to this once it hits DVD.
two months
Holman

Post by Holman »

I have tickets this afternoon. Will report impressions!
Much prefer my Nazis Nuremberged.
em2nought

Post by em2nought »

It's still playing? I thought there was one showing in January and that was it? :think:
two months
Anonymous Bosch

Post by Anonymous Bosch »

em2nought wrote: Sat Feb 09, 2019 12:57 pm It's still playing? I thought there was one showing in January and that was it? :think:
That was for the limited release 'Fathom Events' version. I got to see it over the Christmas holidays with a good friend who's active duty Air Force, and we thought it was incredibly well done. The Fathom Events version included 30 minutes of additional commentary from Peter Jackson after it was over, akin to a DVD extra. Dunno if that commentary is also included with the wider release, but if not that's likely the only difference.
"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." — P. J. O'Rourke
Holman

Post by Holman »

Holman wrote: Sat Feb 09, 2019 10:29 am I have tickets this afternoon. Will report impressions!
Sadly, we couldn't make it today. Two of us got hit hard with sore throat/headache/mild fever.
Much prefer my Nazis Nuremberged.
AWS260

Post by AWS260 »

Trenchfoot would have been a better reason.