NFL 2018-19 Offseason

Everything else!

Moderators: Bakhtosh, EvilHomer3k

msteelers

Re: NFL 2018-19 Offseason

Post by msteelers »

This has been a big story down here all week, even before the Kraft news broke. I interview sheriff Snyder every week, and he called in from his car while they were getting ready to execute the search warrants. They said earlier this week they were going after the Johns pretty hard. That without them, these human trafficking rings wouldn’t be in operation.

And that’s what these day spas were. It wasn’t a woman doing this by choice. Police say they were brought here on the promise of real jobs, and were held at the spas and not allowed to leave.

Palm Beach is the county to our south. Right to our north is Indian River county. They issued charges against nearly 200 men because of this investigation, just in that county.
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

Yeah, seems like this is more than just 'ordinary' prostitution - this is sexual slavery prostitution. This looks pretty bad.
Black Lives Matter.
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

I was going to post "The Patriots had a happy ending to the season, why shouldn't the owner?" but then I start reading about sexual slavery and I realize that may be in poor taste. :oops:
He won. Period.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

hepcat wrote: Fri Feb 22, 2019 1:50 pm I was going to post "The Patriots had a happy ending to the season, why shouldn't the owner?" but then I start reading about sexual slavery and I realize that may be in poor taste. :oops:
I posted the Christoph Waltz happy nazi gif in response to the jokes, but it ended up under msteeler's post, and that just wasn't a good look.
It's almost as if people are the problem.
msteelers

Post by msteelers »

I also tried to add a joke at the end of my post, but it didn’t seem right. Sorry for killing the funny.
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

The real crime here is that they did things that were so bad that they destroyed any possibility of joking about it.

Well, that and the sexual slavery.
Black Lives Matter.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

msteelers wrote: Fri Feb 22, 2019 2:00 pm I also tried to add a joke at the end of my post, but it didn’t seem right. Sorry for killing the funny.
No worries.
stessier

Post by stessier »

Seems to strengthen the case for legalization. It seems unlikely these guys knew that it was a slavery ring. Make it legal and tax the heck out of it.
I require a reminder as to why raining arcane destruction is not an appropriate response to all of life's indignities. - Vaarsuvius
Global Steam Wishmaslist Tracking
Running____2014: 1300.55 miles____2015: 2036.13 miles____2016: 1012.75 miles____2017: 1105.82 miles____2018: 1318.91 miles__2019: 2000.00 miles
Remus West

Post by Remus West »

stessier wrote: Fri Feb 22, 2019 3:06 pm Seems to strengthen the case for legalization. It seems unlikely these guys knew that it was a slavery ring. Make it legal and tax the heck out of it.
How would that help the women caught in this situation? :?
“As democracy is perfected, the office of president represents, more and more closely, the inner soul of the people. On some great and glorious day the plain folks of the land will reach their heart's desire at last and the White House will be adorned by a downright moron.” - H.L. Mencken
Captain Caveman

Post by Captain Caveman »

Let the speculation begin!
msteelers

Post by msteelers »

There was a forum called Rub Maps where people would talk about their experiences at these day spas.
Looking for a “happy ending” massage? A website called rubmaps.com promises to hook up customers with these illegal services.

WPTV found Jupiter Police Department detectives used the site to help build a case against Hua Zhang, a woman arrested in connection to a sex-trafficking sting spanning numerous counties.

According to Zhang’s arrest paperwork (WARNING: POLICE REPORT CONTAINS GRAPHIC DESCRIPTIONS) , rubmaps.com is a “forum based website which allows customers … to discuss their individual experiences at illicit massage parlors.”

Orchids of Asia Day Spa, one of the massage parlors at the center of the recent multi-agency, sex trafficking bust, is on the website. The spa's review shows table showers are offered, however if you want to actually read reviews, you have to subscribe to the site.
Orchids of Asia Day Spa was where Kraft is accused of going.
Xmann

Post by Xmann »

Captain Caveman wrote:

Trump?
gf.me/u/zhnmhs
stessier

Post by stessier »

Remus West wrote: Fri Feb 22, 2019 3:15 pm
stessier wrote: Fri Feb 22, 2019 3:06 pm Seems to strengthen the case for legalization. It seems unlikely these guys knew that it was a slavery ring. Make it legal and tax the heck out of it.
Presumably the women wouldn't be working in a legal shop where they would have Labor Department inspection. And presumably the clients would opt toward a legal option if it were available. Nothings perfect, of course, but I think it would be a step in the right direction.
I require a reminder as to why raining arcane destruction is not an appropriate response to all of life's indignities. - Vaarsuvius
Running____2014: 1300.55 miles____2015: 2036.13 miles____2016: 1012.75 miles____2017: 1105.82 miles____2018: 1318.91 miles__2019: 2000.00 miles
Remus West

Post by Remus West »

stessier wrote: Fri Feb 22, 2019 3:34 pm
Presumably the women wouldn't be working in a legal shop where they would have Labor Department inspection. And presumably the clients would opt toward a legal option if it were available. Nothings perfect, of course, but I think it would be a step in the right direction.
I don't know how well it works out being legal in Nevada but examining that would probably be a good place to start. How many of those women are there by choice (real choice not "I have no other paying option" choice)? How many are on drugs or alcohol to deal with it? How many deal with abusing bosses or customers? etc.
“As democracy is perfected, the office of president represents, more and more closely, the inner soul of the people. On some great and glorious day the plain folks of the land will reach their heart's desire at last and the White House will be adorned by a downright moron.” - H.L. Mencken
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

Really? My first instinct for Asian Brothel disguised as massage parlor would be to think that it was for human trafficking.

OtOH, I do think it does strengthen the case for legalization. 1) So John's have an option 2) So pimps are more cut from the equation. 3) so men and women who choose prostitution have protections.
Remus West wrote: Fri Feb 22, 2019 3:15 pm How would that help the women caught in this situation? :?
I can't say it would. It would largely remove "the need" for that spa and its subterfuge but I can only imagine human traffickers would just move to other countries or start trafficking to clientele that continue to desire something that won't be provided legally.
stessier

Post by stessier »

Remus West wrote: Fri Feb 22, 2019 3:53 pm
I don't know how well it works out being legal in Nevada but examining that would probably be a good place to start. How many of those women are there by choice (real choice not "I have no other paying option" choice)? How many are on drugs or alcohol to deal with it? How many deal with abusing bosses or customers? etc.
There were a bunch of articles written after Backpage was shut down that indicated having the things out in the open, as it were, was better for the women and their safety. I've seen similar stories about Nevada, although I'm sure the quality of bosses/establishments varies.

As for the alcohol and drugs - no idea. But you can at least have a conversation about that if you consider making it legal. Drug test the women as a condition of employment maybe?

The only thing we know is that prohibition and the current enforcement methods aren't working.
naednek

Post by naednek »

Captain Caveman wrote: Fri Feb 22, 2019 3:16 pm

Trump? I mean I hope it's him, but I also wish this didn't happen because of victims.
hepcat - "I agree with Naednek"
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

He's more into Eastern Europeans/Slavs than East Asians.
naednek

Post by naednek »

So with the NFL moving to Nevada, I'd expect alot of these stories to pop up in the future.
stessier

Post by stessier »

If you've got the time, this is a really well done and interesting look at punts. I had no intention of watching a 55 min video but he kept my attention throughout.

Remus West

Post by Remus West »

stessier wrote: Fri Feb 22, 2019 4:12 pm
There were a bunch of articles written after Backpage was shut down that indicated having the things out in the open, as it were, was better for the women and their safety. I've seen similar stories about Nevada, although I'm sure the quality of bosses/establishments varies.

As for the alcohol and drugs - no idea. But you can at least have a conversation about that if you consider making it legal. Drug test the women as a condition of employment maybe?

The only thing we know is that prohibition and the current enforcement methods aren't working.
Why do we need to make it legal before beginning that discussion? I would think we want that discussion before making that jump to prevent the need to undo legalization. In the mean time, I'd expect that we absolutely hammer anyone proven guilty of participation in sex trade as anything other than a victim. That is, Johns, Pimps, anyone importing forced "labor", etc.
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

Remus West wrote: Mon Feb 25, 2019 10:34 am Why do we need to make it legal before beginning that discussion? I would think we want that discussion before making that jump to prevent the need to undo legalization. In the mean time, I'd expect that we absolutely hammer anyone proven guilty of participation in sex trade human trafficking and servitude as well as all forms of abuse as anything other than a victim. That is, Johns, Pimps, anyone importing forced "labor", etc.
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

Black Lives Matter.
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

Remus West wrote: Mon Feb 25, 2019 10:34 am
stessier wrote: Fri Feb 22, 2019 4:12 pm

Why do we need to make it legal before beginning that discussion? I would think we want that discussion before making that jump to prevent the need to undo legalization. In the mean time, I'd expect that we absolutely hammer anyone proven guilty of participation in sex trade as anything other than a victim. That is, Johns, Pimps, anyone importing forced "labor", etc.
I think the point is that you can't really regulate the workplace safety environment of an illegal activity. So you can 'discuss' it in a theoretical way, but you can't start to contemplate in a meaningful way what regulations do and don't make sense if you're banning the whole enterprise.
Black Lives Matter.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Brady started the [2000] season as the fourth-string quarterback, behind starter Drew Bledsoe and backups John Friesz and Michael Bishop; by season's end, he was number two on the depth chart behind Bledsoe. During his rookie season, he was 1-for-3 passing, for six yards. Tight end Rod Rutledge caught Brady's first and only completed pass of the season in a 34–9 loss to the Detroit Lions on November 23.
Remus West

Post by Remus West »

El Guapo wrote: Mon Feb 25, 2019 11:29 amI think the point is that you can't really regulate the workplace safety environment of an illegal activity. So you can 'discuss' it in a theoretical way, but you can't start to contemplate in a meaningful way what regulations do and don't make sense if you're banning the whole enterprise.
It is legal in Nevada though so we have some data regarding legality to use as a basis for discussion/regulation.
Ralph-Wiggum

Post by Ralph-Wiggum »

El Guapo wrote: Mon Feb 25, 2019 11:27 am
At least his speed rating is pretty spot-on.
Black Lives Matter
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

Remus West wrote: Mon Feb 25, 2019 12:26 pm
El Guapo wrote: Mon Feb 25, 2019 11:29 amI think the point is that you can't really regulate the workplace safety environment of an illegal activity. So you can 'discuss' it in a theoretical way, but you can't start to contemplate in a meaningful way what regulations do and don't make sense if you're banning the whole enterprise.
It is legal in Nevada though so we have some data regarding legality to use as a basis for discussion/regulation.
That's fair. I do think that we would want to do detailed analyses of the impact of legalization in Nevada (I would assume those have already been done) before considering legalization elsewhere.

I would also add that legalized prostitution seems to work pretty well in the Firefly universe.
Black Lives Matter.
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

Ralph-Wiggum wrote: Mon Feb 25, 2019 12:50 pm
El Guapo wrote: Mon Feb 25, 2019 11:27 am
At least his speed rating is pretty spot-on.
God, how slow must J. Friesz have been?
Black Lives Matter.
stessier

Post by stessier »

El Guapo wrote: Mon Feb 25, 2019 12:58 pm
Ralph-Wiggum wrote: Mon Feb 25, 2019 12:50 pm At least his speed rating is pretty spot-on.
You know what's crazy - Brady's top speed this year was right around 15.8 mph according to Next-Gen stats. And he's slow. It's easy to forget how relative the speed thing is. Try running a 4 min mile for 40 yards - bet you won't be able to.
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

stessier wrote: Mon Feb 25, 2019 1:31 pm
El Guapo wrote: Mon Feb 25, 2019 12:58 pm
Ralph-Wiggum wrote: Mon Feb 25, 2019 12:50 pm At least his speed rating is pretty spot-on.
You know what's crazy - Brady's top speed this year was right around 15.8 mph according to Next-Gen stats. And he's slow. It's easy to forget how relative the speed thing is. Try running a 4 min mile for 40 yards - bet you won't be able to.
Right - just making it to the NFL at all means you are an incredible athlete. So we're talking slow relative to other athletes.
Black Lives Matter.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

El Guapo wrote: Mon Feb 25, 2019 12:58 pm God, how slow must J. Friesz have been?
53 rushing attempts netting 29 yards over 69 games.
Remus West

Post by Remus West »

El Guapo wrote: Mon Feb 25, 2019 12:57 pm
Remus West wrote: Mon Feb 25, 2019 12:26 pm
That's fair. I do think that we would want to do detailed analyses of the impact of legalization in Nevada (I would assume those have already been done) before considering legalization elsewhere.

I would also add that legalized prostitution seems to work pretty well in the Firefly universe.
:D
stessier

Post by stessier »

Aww, that's the most boring option. I wanted to see them in random stadiums around the country for the pure mayhem of it all.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Isgrimnur wrote: Fri Jan 06, 2017 3:36 pm Oops
Dallas defensive end Randy Gregory has been suspended for at least a year for another violation of the NFL’s substance-abuse policy.

It’s the third time this season Gregory has been suspended. The first was a four-game ban, followed by 10 games on top of that. The suspension announced Thursday makes him ineligible for the playoffs, which start Jan. 15 for Dallas, the top seed in the NFC.

The suspension is for one calendar year, meaning Gregory could be eligible for the playoffs without another violation if the Cowboys make it again next season.

Gregory played the final two games of his second regular season, recording the first sack of his career in the finale against Philadelphia.
ESPN
Dallas Cowboys pass-rusher Randy Gregory has been suspended indefinitely for again violating the NFL's substance abuse policy and the terms of his conditional reinstatement, the league announced Tuesday.

Gregory missed all but two games in 2016 and the entire 2017 season because of multiple violations of the policy in his first two seasons with the Cowboys. He returned to play in 14 games in 2018 and finished second on the Cowboys with six sacks and 28 quarterback pressures.

According to sources, the Cowboys were aware Gregory was facing another penalty and were not caught off guard by the news.
As per terms of the drug policy, Gregory was tested up to 10 times a month last season and he was required to have meetings with the league's medical director.
After his yearlong suspension, Gregory was reinstated by the league last July after meeting with commissioner Roger Goodell. During his time away from the game, Gregory told ESPN that he spent more than six months in a rehabilitation center and a sober-living house in California, held a job and concentrated on putting his life in order.
pr0ner

Post by pr0ner »

LOLWUT?

Hodor.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Dallas News
"The fire inside of me to compete and play this game is just burning too strong," Witten said in a statement distributed by the team. "This team has a great group of rising young stars, and I want to help them make a run at a championship. This was completely my decision, and I am very comfortable with it. I'm looking forward to getting back in the dirt."

Witten, 36, didn't end a 15-year ride with the Cowboys because he could no longer perform. He stepped away for a rare opportunity at the top of a new profession. He candidly discussed the up and downs of his new career as the lead analyst for MNF and whether or not he considers coaching an option in the future.

"Well, first off, I missed the heck out of playing," Witten said early February at the presentation of the Collegiate Man of the Year award that carries his name. "Look, every day I was a part of the Cowboys, and even before that, I loved the game of football. I loved the process of it.
pr0ner

Post by pr0ner »

Better known as: when you suck so hard at your new job you go back to the old one.
Hodor.
naednek

Post by naednek »

pr0ner wrote: Thu Feb 28, 2019 2:17 pm Better known as: when you suck so hard at your new job you go back to the old one.
failed probation...
stessier

Post by stessier »

The best part of the combine - Rich Eisen's 40 yard dash!