[Film] Birds of Prey (and the Fantabulous Emancipation of one Harley Quinn)

Everything else!

Moderators: Bakhtosh, EvilHomer3k

stessier

Re: [Film] Birds of Prey (and the Fantabulous Emancipation of one Harley Quinn)

Post by stessier »

I saw it this weekend.
YellowKing wrote: Fri Feb 07, 2020 11:07 pm That said, I still had a good time and it's certainly a *unique* DC film. At this point, you can't accuse them of ripping off the Marvel formula, and maybe that's where they need to just focus their efforts. Making these weird little unique superhero/supervillain films that defy expectations. I don't think I'd have a problem with that.
I agree with this. I also think a C/75 rating is about right. It's okay - in some spots very fun. In others, very plodding. I was trying to figure out why Deadpool worked so much better and I think it has at least a bit to do with Deadpool being proactive where everything the characters did in this film was reactive. She talked about what a harlequin is and the whole movie centered around getting away from that while at the same time being defined by that.

That being said, I'd be willing to watch another one under the assumption that the Origin Story is always the worst one in the series.

Edit: Oh, and there were 7 people in my IMAX showing at 4:30 on Sunday.
I require a reminder as to why raining arcane destruction is not an appropriate response to all of life's indignities. - Vaarsuvius
Global Steam Wishmaslist Tracking
Running____2014: 1300.55 miles____2015: 2036.13 miles____2016: 1012.75 miles____2017: 1105.82 miles____2018: 1318.91 miles__2019: 2000.00 miles
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

It's almost as if people are the problem.
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

Every theater has officially changed the title to 'Harley Quinn: Birds of Prey.' I assume it is an emergency effort to get potential viewers' attention.
(˙pǝsɹǝʌǝɹ uǝǝq sɐɥ ʎʇıʌɐɹƃ ʃɐuosɹǝd ʎW)
Kasey Chang

Post by Kasey Chang »

Apparently, the name's way too long for the movie displays. Basically, it's SEO friendly name.

https://www.theverge.com/2020/2/11/2113 ... d-trailers
My game FAQs | Playing: She Will Punish Them, Sunrider: Mask of Arcadius, The Outer Worlds
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

Just got back from this. I... liked it. Didn't love it.
Blackhawk wrote: Sat Feb 08, 2020 11:54 am I'm looking forward to seeing it, but I'm a little nervous about how they handle Orphan. She's one of my favorites from the comics, and what I've seen so far from previews looks like a huge departure.
Oof.

Imagine if they made an Avengers movie, and announced that Tony Stark was going to be a major character, then made him a 20-something Subway sandwich artist who couldn't read couldn't get a date. Yeah, it's like that.

Here's are the similarities between Cassandra Cain in the movie and the established character:
Spoiler:
They're both named Cassandra Cain. That's it.

One is a smartass teen pickpocket who always has a clever comeback.

The other is the daughter of Lady Shiva, raised without speech, reading, or human interaction beyond training to be an assassin, resulting in a young woman who was illiterate, mostly mute, barely able to socialize, and yet able to take Batman in a fair fight.
From a neutral perspective it was a decent film with fun moments. From a fan of the comics, it was a film set in the same universe as Shazam and Aquaman that brought in established characters, then didn't use them as such. Other than one three-second scene*, the film would have been exactly the same, would have worked just as well if it hadn't used the DC universe or super heroes/villains at all. It could have just been an urban action film.

Spoiler:
Canary cry
It's a little hard to separate my general enjoyment of the film with my disappointment in their complete disregard of the source material (like, Mario Bros levels of disregard.)
hitbyambulance

Post by hitbyambulance »

YellowKing wrote: Mon Feb 10, 2020 9:22 am Anecdotally, there were 6 people in our theater including my wife and I. On a Friday night 7:00pm showing. :cry:
i have a friend urging me to see this, but i just don't care. most DC film versions are 'eh' at best.
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

Available on Amazon Prime to purchase for $3.49 as a digital title. No idea how long that lasts.
Maybe next year, maybe no go
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

If they give me $20 Ill take it but not watch it.
--------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.
I guess Ray Butts has ate his last pancake.
http://steamcommunity.com/id/daehawk
"Has high IQ. Refuses to apply it"
coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

Smoove_B wrote: Fri Mar 27, 2020 1:03 pm Available on Amazon Prime to purchase for $3.49 as a digital title. No idea how long that lasts.
Not very as it shows $20 for HD and $30 in 4K for me.
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
Zarathud

Post by Zarathud »

My wife liked it and she is not a superhero film fan. She also liked Venom but only as a body horror (and Tom Hardy) flick.
"If the facts don't fit the theory, change the facts." - Albert Einstein
"I don't stand by anything." - Trump
“Bad men need nothing more to compass their ends, than that good men should look on and do nothing.” - John Stuart Mill, Inaugural Address Delivered to the University of St Andrews, 2/1/1867
“It is the impractical things in this tumultuous hell-scape of a world that matter most. A book, a name, chicken soup. They help us remember that, even in our darkest hour, life is still to be savored.” - Poe, Altered Carbon
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

It isn't really a superhero film. It was an urban action film that starred characters who were, with one exception, normal unpowered humans. And the one exception was limited to one five-second bit.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Wife and I watched it this evening.

I thought it was OK at best, didn't care for the Ewan's turn as the villain. Wife had no background on his character, so was even less involved in his portrayal. Zsasz was at least a little decent.
It's almost as if people are the problem.
AWS260

Post by AWS260 »

I finally got around to seeing this. It's really fun! Approximately infinity times better than Zack Snyder's Justice League, which is the last DC movie I saw. Unlike that endless slab of dour, Birds of Prey is fun and energetic as heck. A breath of fresh air.
JCC

Post by JCC »

So I decided to check this out because I actually expect the new Suicide Squad to be good. I thought this was not great. Don't get me wrong it wasn't bad in the way WW1984 was where I was genuiniely angry at everyone who made it (particularly the writers), but it was just not very good. I don't think I have ever seen Ewan McGregor act so poorly and his character made for a weak villain. It had way, WAY too many characters in it. It feels like the first half of the movie is them introducing these silly, mostly uninteresting characters at us. Just way too much of it where I still can't remember who any of them are or their names.

Having said that, the second half was somewhat entertaining. I didn't finish the movie wishing it hadn't been made or anything. I wouldn't go so far as to call it very funny, but it was at least amusing. But, among my least favorite of the "modern" DC films which I mostly like to some degree or another.
Black Lives Matter

"You know, the very powerful and the very stupid have one thing in common: they don't alter their views to fit the facts; they alter the facts to fit their views." - The 4th Doctor
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

That was my take as well. I found it pretty forgettable. Wasn’t awful, just wasn’t very good.
He won. Period.
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

They really shouldn't use mob boss style villains when they need a hands-on bad guy. Black Mask is interesting as a mastermind and manipulator.