The Dungeoneers: Mazerynth

Everything else!

Moderators: Bakhtosh, EvilHomer3k

Gryndyl

The Dungeoneers: Mazerynth

Post by Gryndyl »

Heya,

For those of you that have been waiting for it, book numero quatro is out now.
A djinn lamp being moved is an event that causes armies to maneuver and gods to stay up late. But when one is stolen? That's an act of war. Unfortunately, no one knows just who stole it.
In the nearby city of Khomen-Te there's a new type of dungeon. A pyramid that sells tickets and has an advertising campaign. Agent Mungo of Gnome Intelligence believes there's a connection between it and the stolen lamp. Fortunately, he knows just the team to handle a dungeon and a missing artifact.
Mazerynth

This is my shot at combining Bond movies with MMORPGs :mrgreen:
Hope you enjoy it!
coopasonic

Re: The Dungeoneers: Mazerynth

Post by coopasonic »

Bought.

I've noticed you have a pretty significant downward trajectory on length. We want *more* not less!
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
GreenGoo

Post by GreenGoo »

Congrats on the awesome name.
Gryndyl

Post by Gryndyl »

coopasonic wrote: Fri Jan 25, 2019 3:30 pm Bought.

I've noticed you have a pretty significant downward trajectory on length. We want *more* not less!
Yeah, this one ended up being a shorter one while taking the longest to write. Need to flip that around :)
GreenGoo wrote: Fri Jan 25, 2019 4:02 pm Congrats on the awesome name.
I was absolutely astonished when I googled it and found that no one had already used it.
ImLawBoy
Forum Admin

Post by ImLawBoy »

Purchased.
That's my purse! I don't know you!
Bad Demographic

Post by Bad Demographic »

Bought!
"Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities." Voltaire

Black Lives Matter
Archinerd

Post by Archinerd »

Bought, looking forward to seeing which words you chose and what order you put them in this time.
Moat_Man

Post by Moat_Man »

End of line
¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯
Jaymon

Post by Jaymon »

Hot diggity. Thank you for keeping us up to date.

I can hardly wait to find out what particularly heavy thing Tuft has to carry in this episode
Bunnies like beer because its made from hops.
Gryndyl

Post by Gryndyl »

Jaymon wrote: Mon Jan 28, 2019 1:07 pm Hot diggity. Thank you for keeping us up to date.

I can hardly wait to find out what particularly heavy thing Tuft has to carry in this episode
Tuft is pretty much a joke in there for myself but it looks like others are starting to figure it out...
Bad Demographic

Just finished this yesterday and really enjoyed it.
I like that you're focusing on different characters in the books instead of having just one character always be the star. I'm sure it also allows you to come up with more stories, but it's fun reading about the different crew members.

Now impatiently awaiting book number 5!
"Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities." Voltaire

Black Lives Matter
Gryndyl

Post by Gryndyl »

Bad Demographic wrote: Tue Feb 12, 2019 11:54 pm Just finished this yesterday and really enjoyed it.
I like that you're focusing on different characters in the books instead of having just one character always be the star. I'm sure it also allows you to come up with more stories, but it's fun reading about the different crew members.

Now impatiently awaiting book number 5!
Part of this was my noob mistake of having 22 characters in the first book. Focusing on different characters each book has been as much a process of me getting to know them as it is the reader's. It's even tempted me to go back and make some retroactive changes to dialogue in Book 1 to fix some character "voices." But yes, it has indeed provided me with a lot of different potential stories to explore.

There is definitely a Dungeoneers 5 in the pipeline and I have ideas for at least three more beyond that but first I'm working on a non-Dungeoneers book series to try and expand my reader-base a bit.

"It's not that cats are curious; it's that they're looking for something. Something important that they lost long ago. They are desperate to find it because they are not the only ones looking."
-Solipsis, Book One: The Secret of the Cats
coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

Gryndyl wrote: Wed Feb 13, 2019 8:36 pm "It's not that cats are curious; it's that they're looking for something. Something important that they lost long ago. They are desperate to find it because they are not the only ones looking."
Is the tween reader you are going after? Because with that quote you have my 12 year old's attention. He loves "The Warriors" books, which I think are horrible drivel. I'd love to see him read something well written. I think I am going to give him The Reckoners series.

To be clear, I am very happy that he loves reading, but I wish there was more quality content for the tween audience.
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
Gryndyl

Post by Gryndyl »

coopasonic wrote: Thu Feb 14, 2019 3:33 pm
Gryndyl wrote: Wed Feb 13, 2019 8:36 pm "It's not that cats are curious; it's that they're looking for something. Something important that they lost long ago. They are desperate to find it because they are not the only ones looking."
Is the tween reader you are going after? Because with that quote you have my 12 year old's attention. He loves "The Warriors" books, which I think are horrible drivel. I'd love to see him read something well written. I think I am going to give him The Reckoners series.

To be clear, I am very happy that he loves reading, but I wish there was more quality content for the tween audience.
Yep! I have a YA foothold with the Dungeoneers books but the Solipsis series is going to be targeted straight at them.
stessier

Post by stessier »

Feel free not to answer this, but is writing your full time job? My daughter is 12 and wants to be an author, but the statistics suggest she needs a permanent backup career as well (meaning she's never going to be able to only write). I'm wondering if the economics of Amazon and self publishing make it more or less likely she'd ever be able to support herself writing (understanding that skill and finding a niche are also very important).
I require a reminder as to why raining arcane destruction is not an appropriate response to all of life's indignities. - Vaarsuvius
Global Steam Wishmaslist Tracking
Running____2014: 1300.55 miles____2015: 2036.13 miles____2016: 1012.75 miles____2017: 1105.82 miles____2018: 1318.91 miles__2019: 2000.00 miles
Archinerd

Post by Archinerd »

Everybody knows YA series take a dark turn around the half way point. That could be a solution to your excessive dwarf population problem. :twisted:
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

Are you going to have vampires in your cat book? I feel like you need at least one vampire in a YA book.
Black Lives Matter.
Z-Corn

Post by Z-Corn »

Or something that sparkles...
Freyland

Post by Freyland »

Catnip Toy... of the Night!
Sims 3 and signature unclear.
Gryndyl

Post by Gryndyl »

stessier wrote: Thu Feb 14, 2019 5:00 pm Feel free not to answer this, but is writing your full time job? My daughter is 12 and wants to be an author, but the statistics suggest she needs a permanent backup career as well (meaning she's never going to be able to only write). I'm wondering if the economics of Amazon and self publishing make it more or less likely she'd ever be able to support herself writing (understanding that skill and finding a niche are also very important).
Yep, writing is all I'm doing right now. It hasn't made me rich but it pays the rent and has financed a couple fun vacations. There ARE people that make quite a lot of money as indie authors (more than they would if they were traditionally published) but they spend as much time marketing and advertising as they do writing and I'm pretty slack in the marketing and advertising departments. Regardless of whatever controversy of the week they're having, Amazon has made being an indie author a viable career. There are other digital markets and some authors have found success there but Amazon has most of the show due to Kindle Unlimited. For every author making it work, however, there are a hundred that aren't. Very crowded market and breaking out of the crowd can be tough, even if your books are good. Most indies have day jobs.
El Guapo wrote: Thu Feb 14, 2019 6:38 pm Are you going to have vampires in your cat book? I feel like you need at least one vampire in a YA book.
Not as such but much of the book will take place in my own take on various literary Dreamlands (Lovecraft, Carroll, etc.) so there's going to be some weird involved. Maybe I'll have a glittery vampire in there as the busboy for the Cheshire Cat's pub, "Behind the Grin."
ImLawBoy
Forum Admin

Post by ImLawBoy »

Gryndyl wrote: Fri Feb 15, 2019 12:09 am I'm pretty slack in the marketing and advertising departments.
What are you talking about? You always post your new books on a lightly populated erstwhile gaming forum. What more could you possibly do?
Gryndyl

Post by Gryndyl »

ImLawBoy wrote: Fri Feb 15, 2019 11:09 am
Gryndyl wrote: Fri Feb 15, 2019 12:09 am I'm pretty slack in the marketing and advertising departments.
What are you talking about? You always post your new books on a lightly populated erstwhile gaming forum. What more could you possibly do?
I actually credit you guys with the success of the first book. It had been bumping along at under 5 copies a day until I posted here. That gave me two days of 15 sales which moved it onto the top 100 kindle adventure/fantasy chart at spot 99. As soon as a book places on a chart the Amazon promotion algorithms kick in. A few days later and I was in the #1 spot and selling a hundred a day. Haven't managed to replicate that since but it was a wild ride!
coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

I posted about the first book on Facebook and I assume that was the cause of your success. I have close relations with a group of folks that were in a Dwarven guild from Everquest (yeah, way back when) called Grudge Bearers and they *loved* it.
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

So basically we should all be getting a cut of the royalties?
Black Lives Matter.
ImLawBoy
Forum Admin

Post by ImLawBoy »

You haven't been getting them?
Gryndyl

Post by Gryndyl »

coopasonic wrote: Fri Feb 15, 2019 5:00 pm I posted about the first book on Facebook and I assume that was the cause of your success. I have close relations with a group of folks that were in a Dwarven guild from Everquest (yeah, way back when) called Grudge Bearers and they *loved* it.
Could very well be and I'm glad they liked it :D My new mystery is why my sales doubled yesterday for Valentine's Day. I'd like to think it was due to dwarves being a hot Valentine's Day item but I suspect it's more due to the Amazon auto-mailer going out to let everyone know that I had a new book. Not gonna complain-it pushed me to #40 on the adventure/fantasy charts which is a new high for this one.
Jeff V

Post by Jeff V »

stessier wrote: Thu Feb 14, 2019 5:00 pm My daughter is 12 and wants to be an author, but the statistics suggest she needs a permanent backup career as well (meaning she's never going to be able to only write).
Back when dead-tree books were still a thing, I briefly considered going into writing when pondering what to waste my college years on. I was easily discouraged by a published ranking of vocations by average salary. IIRC, Chemical Engineering was the shit, commanding 6 figures even in the late '70's. Dead last was writer, with an average salary only half of minimum wage.

Charging head long in to Genetics, I didn't see the brick wall that knocked me out until it was too late (organic chemistry). So I slid back into something I had greater interest in (history) along with something I was still good at (writing) and then, lo and behold, a mere decade later I made my first nickel writing!

Now, there is money to be made in writing if you aren't also chasing fame. At my peak, I was averaging about $50 per hour doing part-time writing for various things ranging from magazines to websites (and including some editing work). Across several years I was making enough to cover my $500 car payment. Then the .com crash happened, and all of my clients went tits-up (except for one notable exception who would hire me to ghost write things he was probably making bank on). Now, I came by those clients through incidental networking and when the network broke, there was no more work finding me. In the late 90's I picked up a copy of Writer's Market (a directory of publications, contacts, and a wealth of information about the business of being a writer). One of the articles in the book advised taking a 70/30 split in time spent marketing vs. writing. Guess which was the 70%.

If I had me a pimp, I'd still probably be doing it in some capacity but I don't like being a salesman. While writing about things that interest you can be fun; writing something compelling about a subject you care little about can be a real slog. It's nice that Gryndyl is able to eke out a living for now - but most novelists do have a day job these days. To become a mainstay on the best seller's list is akin to being a rock star or sports great. Many of the more ubiquitous writers don't even do the heavy lifting anymore - they do editing for consistency and work on building the brand (see Patterson, James and Cussler, Clive for examples).

One day when I was probably at peak production as a writer, I mused to one of my editors that if I applied myself to it full time and was able to triple the number of clients, I could probably ditch my day job. She immediately bitch slapped me back into reality and screamed "DON'T DO IT!"
Black Lives Matter
Zarathud

Post by Zarathud »

My wife saw Amazon ads for Dungeoneers on Facebook at least 4 times in the last 8 weeks. She reads a lot of fantasy-scifi-magical realism via Prime Unlimited, including a lot of new authors. She's also active with the Terry Pratchett fan group, and that's a trigger for the ads.
"If the facts don't fit the theory, change the facts." - Albert Einstein
"I don't stand by anything." - Trump
“Bad men need nothing more to compass their ends, than that good men should look on and do nothing.” - John Stuart Mill, Inaugural Address Delivered to the University of St Andrews, 2/1/1867
“It is the impractical things in this tumultuous hell-scape of a world that matter most. A book, a name, chicken soup. They help us remember that, even in our darkest hour, life is still to be savored.” - Poe, Altered Carbon
Gryndyl

Post by Gryndyl »

Zarathud wrote: Sun Feb 17, 2019 2:30 pm My wife saw Amazon ads for Dungeoneers on Facebook at least 4 times in the last 8 weeks. She reads a lot of fantasy-scifi-magical realism via Prime Unlimited, including a lot of new authors. She's also active with the Terry Pratchett fan group, and that's a trigger for the ads.
I'm not actually running ads on Facebook at the moment (no real marketing budget until April) so now I'm really, really curious where those are coming from. Not complaining, mind you. My guess is it's something to do with suggested pages.
Baroquen

Post by Baroquen »

Got an email from Amazon letting me know that Mazerynth had been released. Not sure if Gryndyl initiated the email blast, or if Amazon is just a month late with the update. :lol:

Either way, I picked it up as I know I'll read it soon. I've enjoyed the others so far.
Gryndyl

Post by Gryndyl »

Baroquen wrote: Sat Feb 23, 2019 2:38 pm Got an email from Amazon letting me know that Mazerynth had been released. Not sure if Gryndyl initiated the email blast, or if Amazon is just a month late with the update. :lol:

Either way, I picked it up as I know I'll read it soon. I've enjoyed the others so far.
Amazon does this on their own but I like hearing about it when they do :) Explains mystery spikes in my sales.
Jaymon

Post by Jaymon »

I sincerely hope that one day you outsell markus heinz. I enjoy your work far more than his.
Bad Demographic

Just fyi, Gryndyl, after reading your first book I bought it for my sister. She finally got around to reading it and really liked it - so a couple days ago I bought her the other 3.
Also, I'm currently rereading book 2.

Black Lives Matter
Hrdina

Post by Hrdina »

Gryn, RL has mostly left me bereft of time for things like hanging out at OO, but I have kept up with each Dungeoneers book as it's been released.

Mazerynth was quite good, and it was interesting to follow our favorite gnome's growth as a main character. I'll be looking forward to #5!
Conform or be cast out!
Gryndyl

Post by Gryndyl »

Glad y'all are enjoying them :mrgreen:

The series has done better than I ever imagined it would. Over 23,600 copies sold of the first book as of this morning :shock:
Jaymon

Post by Jaymon »

That was me on Reddit.

I am RocknoseThreebeers :beer: :beer: :beer:
Gryndyl

Post by Gryndyl »

Jaymon wrote: Wed Oct 02, 2019 3:32 pm That was me on Reddit.

I am RocknoseThreebeers :beer: :beer: :beer:
Thanks! Mentions in /r/fantasy threads are more effective than any paid advertising I've run :D
TheMix

Post by TheMix »

I was just thinking the other day that I still need to get a physical copy of the 4th book to go with the others on the shelf.

Black Lives Matter

Isgrimnur - Facebook makes you hate your friends and family. LinkedIn makes you hate you co-workers. NextDoor makes you hate your neighbors.
Gryndyl

Post by Gryndyl »

TheMix wrote: Wed Oct 02, 2019 7:05 pm I was just thinking the other day that I still need to get a physical copy of the 4th book to go with the others on the shelf.
The physical copy of book 4 doesn't exist yet but will someday.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

These always seem way too short. :coffee:
It's almost as if people are the problem.