Oscars

Everything else!

Moderators: Bakhtosh, EvilHomer3k

Rumpy

Re: Oscars

Post by Rumpy »

El Guapo wrote: Mon Feb 25, 2019 3:00 pm So the thinking may have been that Ali had a better shot at winning in the Supporting Actor field than in the Best Actor field.
You might have something on that. It still really struck me the wrong way, as if he had taken the uh... backseat. I hadn't even realized Viggo was up for Best Actor until you pointed it out.
PC:
Ryzen 5 3600
32GB RAM
2x1TB NVMe Drives
GTX 1660 Ti
gilraen

Post by gilraen »

Rumpy wrote: Mon Feb 25, 2019 3:54 pm
El Guapo wrote: Mon Feb 25, 2019 3:00 pm So the thinking may have been that Ali had a better shot at winning in the Supporting Actor field than in the Best Actor field.
You might have something on that. It still really struck me the wrong way, as if he had taken the uh... backseat. I hadn't even realized Viggo was up for Best Actor until you pointed it out.
I hadn't either. For some reason I was sure that Viggo didn't get nominated at all. Apparently he was nominated for a whole bunch of awards (Golden Globes, BAFTA, etc.)...and didn't win a single one. Ali got several in the Best Supporting Actor category.
Pyperkub

Post by Pyperkub »

Zaxxon wrote: Mon Feb 25, 2019 3:42 pm Spiderverse won Best Animated, so things are right with the world. Except it didn't even get a nod for Best Picture (and the Academy further semi-insulted the category by tying it to kids in the intro). It absolutely deserved to be a best picture candidate.

Re: Green Book. Meh. I'm not stoked that it won (I thought it was good, but not necessarily great). I felt it wasted an opportunity to give a more 'real' view on race rather than its focus of 'haha, wasn't that a crazy time, back in the 60s, when racism against black people was a big thing. Crazy, amirite?' Not to mention the issues surrounding Mortenson, Farrelly, and Nicky V. I also was taken aback by the fact that Viggo was nominated for lead actor, while Ali was a 'supporting' actor. Nothing against Viggo--he did a great job and deserved the nod, IMO--but Ali was absolutely a lead, as well. The two of them are like 95% of the acting of the entire film!

Best moment of the night: Olivia Colman's acceptance speech. By a mile.

I think in the future the Oscars should just have Amy Poehler, Maya Rudolph, and Tina Fey come out every other commercial break, denying that they're hosting.
FWIW, it's the Studio who decides which category the performance can be nominated for.
Black Lives definitely Matter Lorini!

Also: There are three ways to not tell the truth: lies, damned lies, and statistics.
Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

Interesting. Good to know.
rittchard

Post by rittchard »

Zaxxon wrote: Mon Feb 25, 2019 3:42 pm Best moment of the night: Olivia Colman's acceptance speech. By a mile.

I think in the future the Oscars should just have Amy Poehler, Maya Rudolph, and Tina Fey come out every other commercial break, denying that they're hosting.
yeah, and please add that Melissa McCarthy rabbit puppet too.

Olivia's speech was great, but I still felt bad for Glenn Close who pretty much everyone had predicted was a shoe-in to win this year.
Rumpy

Post by Rumpy »

Zaxxon wrote: Mon Feb 25, 2019 3:42 pm I think in the future the Oscars should just have Amy Poehler, Maya Rudolph, and Tina Fey come out every other commercial break, denying that they're hosting.
Honestly, and I realize it may just be me, but I found those 3 super awkward.
PC:
Ryzen 5 3600
32GB RAM
2x1TB NVMe Drives
GTX 1660 Ti
Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

Rumpy wrote: Mon Feb 25, 2019 6:31 pm
Zaxxon wrote: Mon Feb 25, 2019 3:42 pm I think in the future the Oscars should just have Amy Poehler, Maya Rudolph, and Tina Fey come out every other commercial break, denying that they're hosting.
Yes. It was fantastic.

I realize that may be an opinion not shared by others.
Z-Corn

Post by Z-Corn »

I've seen so much coverage of the performance that "Shallow" has been stuck in my head all day.

Fortunately it's a great song. I told y'all years ago Gaga was the next generation Madonna. She will get an EGOT.

I predict a Broadway role is her next big project.
YellowKing

Post by YellowKing »

Z-Corn wrote:Fortunately it's a great song. I told y'all years ago Gaga was the next generation Madonna.
What I love about Lady Gaga though, is that she doesn't have the Madonna ego. She's all the talent without the diva complex.
Z-Corn

Post by Z-Corn »

YellowKing wrote: Tue Feb 26, 2019 8:49 am
Z-Corn wrote:Fortunately it's a great song. I told y'all years ago Gaga was the next generation Madonna.
What I love about Lady Gaga though, is that she doesn't have the Madonna ego. She's all the talent without the diva complex.
And I think Gaga is way more talented than Madonna ever was. Which is why Madonna had beef with her.
stessier

Post by stessier »

Z-Corn wrote: Mon Feb 25, 2019 6:56 pm I've seen so much coverage of the performance that "Shallow" has been stuck in my head all day.
I didn't see it live, but my favorite part from the clips I've seen is right before Cooper goes and sits next to her, there is a heavier music part and they pull back from Gaga playing the piano and Cooper is bopping to the song - he seemed to be really enjoying it. Artists doing their art and having fun at it are the most attractive thing in the world.
I require a reminder as to why raining arcane destruction is not an appropriate response to all of life's indignities. - Vaarsuvius
Global Steam Wishmaslist Tracking
Running____2014: 1300.55 miles____2015: 2036.13 miles____2016: 1012.75 miles____2017: 1105.82 miles____2018: 1318.91 miles__2019: 2000.00 miles
McNutt

Post by McNutt »

I remember the same actor vs supporting actor discussion when Travolta and Jackson were nominated for Actor and Supporting Actor respectively. I believe the thinking was that Travolta had more lines, so he got the nomination for Actor. They were both equal roles to me, so I'm not sure why they both couldn't be for Best Actor. You're probably right though in that it gives the film more Oscar chances.
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

I feel like I'm the only person in America who hasn't heard the song Shallow. I've heard a million people sing parts of it (mainly just the word Shallow), but I've never actually heard the song itself.
Black Lives Matter.
Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

El Guapo wrote: Tue Feb 26, 2019 11:30 am I feel like I'm the only person in America who hasn't heard the song Shallow. I've heard a million people sing parts of it (mainly just the word Shallow), but I've never actually heard the song itself.
You're welcome.
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

Zaxxon wrote: Tue Feb 26, 2019 11:32 am
El Guapo wrote: Tue Feb 26, 2019 11:30 am I feel like I'm the only person in America who hasn't heard the song Shallow. I've heard a million people sing parts of it (mainly just the word Shallow), but I've never actually heard the song itself.
You're welcome.
The thing is, now I'm weirdly committed to not having heard Shallow.
Black Lives Matter.
Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

El Guapo wrote: Tue Feb 26, 2019 11:36 am
You're welcome.
What a shallow thing.
Jaymann

Post by Jaymann »

+1. I watched the show with the sound turned off! As far as I could tell they were just necking with each other.
Jaymann
]==(:::::::::::::>
Black Lives Matter
stessier

Post by stessier »

You're welcome.
You should break your commitment just to see A Star is Born. It is very good.
I require a reminder as to why raining arcane destruction is not an appropriate response to all of life's indignities. - Vaarsuvius
Global Steam Wishmaslist Tracking
Running____2014: 1300.55 miles____2015: 2036.13 miles____2016: 1012.75 miles____2017: 1105.82 miles____2018: 1318.91 miles__2019: 2000.00 miles
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

stessier wrote: Tue Feb 26, 2019 11:53 am
You're welcome.
You should break your commitment just to see A Star is Born. It is very good.
Yeah, I do want to see the movie at some point - I figure it'll be added to some streaming service sooner or later.
Black Lives Matter.
naednek

Post by naednek »

Tina Fey is usually entertaining. Amy I have no opinion of. But I can't stand Maya. Her "comedy" is unfunny and never enjoyed it.
hepcat - "I agree with Naednek"
rittchard

Post by rittchard »

Z-Corn wrote: Tue Feb 26, 2019 9:35 am
And I think Gaga is way more talented than Madonna ever was. Which is why Madonna had beef with her.
Blasphemy!!! Madonna had "beef" with her because she blatantly stole music from Express Yourself for Born This Way. Even thematically she kind of just jumped in and co-opted the LGBTQ audience for that song. I'm happy for the effect she had but at the time it did feel like a rather blatant ripoff.

Still, I do agree GaGa is a major talent and I enjoy much of her work, and she is aging well. I believe she is vocally stronger and more musically gifted than Madonna and that will likely carry her further as she gets older.

All that said, flaws and all, there will always only be one true MADONNA.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Thank you for Chering your thoughts on the matter.
It's almost as if people are the problem.
coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

You're welcome.
For the record, I don't think I've even heard someone sing part of it... of course having no idea what it is, I wouldn't know it if I did.

I guess I should watch the movie... Right after I finish catching up on everything else I need to watch. Check with me in a couple decades.
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

I really want to watch Vice. I have heard some mixed things about it, but I really loved The Big Short, and I'm super interested in the topic (and the cast is great).

So I'll probably see that sometime within the next two years, and A Star Is Born sometime within the next five.
Black Lives Matter.
Rumpy

Post by Rumpy »

naednek wrote: Tue Feb 26, 2019 1:13 pm

Tina Fey is usually entertaining. Amy I have no opinion of. But I can't stand Maya. Her "comedy" is unfunny and never enjoyed it.
Yeah, I'm generally fine with Tina Fey, but the combination of the 3 of them just seemed so awkward. It's like they were trying to cause a bit of controversy, and their thing was going on for too long.
El Guapo wrote: Tue Feb 26, 2019 2:03 pm I really want to watch Vice. I have heard some mixed things about it, but I really loved The Big Short, and I'm super interested in the topic (and the cast is great).
I LOVED Vice! Christian Bale was so good in it. I found it so entertaining and full of zing.
PC:
Ryzen 5 3600
32GB RAM
2x1TB NVMe Drives
GTX 1660 Ti
Ralph-Wiggum

Post by Ralph-Wiggum »

You're welcome.
Ain't it hard keeping it so hardcore?
Black Lives Matter
Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

Ralph-Wiggum wrote: Tue Feb 26, 2019 2:32 pm
You're welcome.
Ain't it hard keeping it so hardcore?
We're far from the shallow now.
Zarathud

Post by Zarathud »

Tony Bennett called GaGa the "hardest working talent in show business" and "as good as the greatest" he's ever worked with. Madonna never had that endorsement, no matter how much she was a music pioneer and icon.
"If the facts don't fit the theory, change the facts." - Albert Einstein
"I don't stand by anything." - Trump
“Bad men need nothing more to compass their ends, than that good men should look on and do nothing.” - John Stuart Mill, Inaugural Address Delivered to the University of St Andrews, 2/1/1867
“It is the impractical things in this tumultuous hell-scape of a world that matter most. A book, a name, chicken soup. They help us remember that, even in our darkest hour, life is still to be savored.” - Poe, Altered Carbon
Z-Corn

Post by Z-Corn »

El Guapo wrote: Tue Feb 26, 2019 11:36 am The thing is, now I'm weirdly committed to not having heard Shallow.
I can respect that. I'm almost 50 and have never had a s'more. Seems like I just can't now.
Z-Corn

Post by Z-Corn »

rittchard wrote: Tue Feb 26, 2019 1:51 pm
Blasphemy!!! Madonna had "beef" with her because she blatantly stole music from Express Yourself for Born This Way. Even thematically she kind of just jumped in and co-opted the LGBTQ audience for that song. I'm happy for the effect she had but at the time it did feel like a rather blatant ripoff.

Still, I do agree GaGa is a major talent and I enjoy much of her work, and she is aging well. I believe she is vocally stronger and more musically gifted than Madonna and that will likely carry her further as she gets older.

Dude, I'm from MI so I've been a Madonna fan since Borderline (it is a requirement for citizenship) but Gaga can sing better, she can dance better and she seems a nicer person.
Pyperkub

Post by Pyperkub »

Z-Corn wrote: Tue Feb 26, 2019 4:07 pm

Dude, I'm from MI so I've been a Madonna fan since Borderline (it is a requirement for citizenship) but Gaga can sing better, she can dance better and she seems a nicer person.
She can act better too, apparently (Shanghai Surprise vs A Star is Born?)

Also: There are three ways to not tell the truth: lies, damned lies, and statistics.
Z-Corn

Post by Z-Corn »

Pyperkub wrote: Tue Feb 26, 2019 4:10 pm
Z-Corn wrote: Tue Feb 26, 2019 4:07 pm

She can act better too, apparently (Shanghai Surprise vs A Star is Born?)
I haven't seen Star yet so I didn't want to jump to conclusions.
Pyperkub

Post by Pyperkub »

Best Actress nomination says you *probably* don't need to see it to make this evaluation...

Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

2020 Nominations

Best Picture:
  • Ford v Ferrari
  • Jojo Rabbit
  • Joker
  • Little Women
  • Marriage Story
  • Once Upon a Time... in Hollywood
  • Parasite
  • The Irishman
It's almost as if people are the problem.
ImLawBoy
Forum Admin

Post by ImLawBoy »

I've seen a nominated movie! We watched Klaus (nominated for best animated feature) when it was released on Netflix. It was pretty good.
That's my purse! I don't know you!
rittchard

Post by rittchard »

Look at this lineup for Supporting Actor, it's crazy:

ACTOR IN A SUPPORTING ROLE
Tom Hanks, "A Beautiful Day in the Neighborhood"
Anthony Hopkins, "The Two Popes"
Al Pacino, "The Irishman"
Joe Pesci, "The Irishman"
Brad Pitt, "Once Upon a Time...in Hollywood"

I was disappointed in the snubs of JLo, Awkwafina and Lupita Nyongo so I'm gonna #OscarsSoWhite the next month :horse:

The only thing I was happy with was ScarJo's double nomination.
Rumpy

Post by Rumpy »

I don't really have much stake in it this year. I guess I didn't see all that many movies this year. But I did see Ford vs Ferrari last week and that was amazing, and The Two Popes was quite witty and better than I thought it would be.
PC:
Ryzen 5 3600
32GB RAM
2x1TB NVMe Drives
GTX 1660 Ti
Jaymann

Post by Jaymann »

Isgrimnur wrote: Mon Jan 13, 2020 4:51 pm 2020 Nominations

Best Picture:
  • Ford v Ferrari
  • Jojo Rabbit
  • Joker
  • Little Women
  • Marriage Story
  • Parasite
  • The Irishman
I have seen 1917, Jojo Rabbit. Hollywood and The Irishman. Hollywood is easily the class of those I've seen. Jojo was entertaining, but nowhere near Oscar material.
Jaymann
]==(:::::::::::::>
Black Lives Matter
Jeff V

Post by Jeff V »

Isgrimnur wrote: Mon Jan 13, 2020 4:51 pm 2020 Nominations

Best Picture:
  • Ford v Ferrari
  • Jojo Rabbit
  • Joker
  • Little Women
  • Marriage Story
  • Parasite
  • The Irishman
For the umpteenth consecutive year, I've seen approximately none of them. I'm bound to see one or more eventually if they appear on a service I get.
Black Lives Matter
Ralph-Wiggum

Post by Ralph-Wiggum »

rittchard wrote: I was disappointed in the snubs of JLo, Awkwafina and Lupita Nyongo so I'm gonna #OscarsSoWhite the next month :horse:
I haven’t seen The Farewell, but it’s gotta be pretty rare for someone to win best actor or actress at the Golden Globes and then not even be nominated for an Oscar (Awkwafina).
Black Lives Matter