Oscars

Everything else!

Moderators: Bakhtosh, EvilHomer3k

AWS260

Oscars

Post by AWS260 »

Isgrimnur wrote: Wed Aug 08, 2018 3:06 pm
Cinematography is being relegated to the little kids' table.
The Hollywood Reporter wrote:In a break with tradition, the Academy Awards in four categories will be presented during commercial breaks when the 91st Oscars are broadcast by ABC on Feb. 24.

The affected categories are cinematography, film editing, live-action short and makeup and hairstyling.
Isgrimnur

Re: Oscars

Post by Isgrimnur »

Better than being relegated to the Scientific and Technical Awards Presentation, I suppose.
It's almost as if people are the problem.
Jaymann

Post by Jaymann »

Here are the nominees:

Actor in a Supporting Role

Mahershala Ali, Green Book
Adam Driver, BlackkKlansman
Sam Elliot, A Star is Born
Richard E Grant, Can You Ever Forgive Me
Sam Rockwell, Vice

Actress in a Supporting Role

Amy Adams, Vice
Marina De Tavira, Roma
Regina King, If Beale Street Could Talk
Emma Stone, The Favouirte
Rachel Weisz, The Favourite

Costume Design

The Ballad of Buster Scruggs (Mary Zophres)
Black Panther (Ruth Carter)
The Favourite (Sandy Powell)
Mary Poppins Returns (Sandy Powell)
Mary Queen of Scots (Alexandra Byrne)

Film Editing

BlackkKlansman (Bary Alexander Brown)
Bohemian Rhapsody (John Ottman)
The Favourite (Yorgos Mavropsaridis)
Green Book (Patrick J. Don Vito)
Vice (Hank Corwin)

Original Score

Black Panther (Ludwig Goransson)
BlackkKlansman (Terence Blanchard)
If Beale Street Could Talk (Nicholas Britell)
Isle of Dogs (Alexandre Desplat)
Mary Poppins Returns (Marc Shaiman)

Oscar-winning movies on Netflix
Animated Short Film

Animal Behaviour
Bao
Late Afternoon
One Small Step
Weekends

Live Action Short Film

Detainment
Fauve
Marguerite
Mother
Skin

Sound Editing

Black Panther (Benjamin A Burtt and Steve Boeddeker)
Bohemian Rhapsody (John Warhurst and Nia Hartstone)
First Man (Ai-Ling Lee and Mildred Iatrou Morgan)
A Quiet Place (Ethan Van der Ryn and Erik Aadahi)
Roma (Sergio Diaz and Skip Lievsay)

Sound Mixing

Black Panther (Steve Boeddeker, Brandon Proctor and Peter Devlin)
Bohemian Rhapsody (Paul Massey, Tim Cavagin and John Casali)
First Man (Jon Taylor, Frank A. Montano, Ai-Ling Lee and Mary H. Ellis)
Roma (Skip Lievsay, Craig Henighan and José Antonio Garcia)
A Star Is Born (Tom Ozanich, Dean Zupancic, Jason Ruder and Steve Morrow)

The biggest movie releases of 2019
Actor in a Leading Role

Christian Bale, Vice
Bradley Cooper, A Star is Born
Willem Dafoe, At Eternity’s Gate
Rami Malek, Bohemian Rhapsody
Viggo Mortensen, Green Book

Actress in a Leading Role

Yalitza Aparicio, Roma
Glenn Close, The Wife
Olivia Colman, The Favourite
Lady Gaga, A Star is Born
Melissa McCarthy, Can You Ever Forgive Me?

Animated Feature Film

Incredibles 2
Isle of Dogs
Mirai
Ralph Breaks the Internet
Spider-Man: Into the Spider-verse

Cinematography

Cold War (Lukasz Zal)
The Favourite (Robbie Ryan)
Never Look Away (Caleb Deschanel)
Roma (Alfonso Cuaron)
A Star is Born (Matthew Libatique)

Directing

Spike Lee, BlackkKlansman
Pavel Pawlikowski, Cold War
Yorgos Lanthimos, The Favourite
Alfonso Cuaron, Roma
Adam McKay, Vice

Documentary Feature

Free Solo
Hale County This Morning, This Evening
Minding the Gap
Of Fathers and Sons
RBG

Documentary Short Subject

Black Sheep
End Game
Lifeboat
A Night at the Garden
Period. End of Sentence.

Foreign Language Film

Capernaum (Lebanon)
Cold War (Poland)
Never Look Away (Germany)
Roma (Mexico)
Shoplifters (Japan)

Makeup and Hairstyling

Border (Goran Lundstrom and Pamela Goldammer)
Mary Queen of Scots (Jenny Shircore, Marc Pilcher and Jessica Brooks)
Vice (Greg Cannom, Kate Biscoe and Patricia DeHaney)

Best Picture

Black Panther
BlackkKlansman
Bohemian Rhapsody
The Favourite
Green Book
Roma
A Star is Born
Vice

Visual Effects

Avengers: Infinity War (Dan DeLeeuw, Kelly Port, Russell Earl and Dan Sudick)
Christopher Robin (Christopher Lawrence, Michael Eames, Theo Jones and Chris Corbould)
First Man (Paul Lambert, Ian Hunter, Tristan Myles and J.D. Schwalm)
Ready Player One (Roger Guyett, Grady Cofer, Matthew E. Butler and DAvid Shirk)
Solo: A Star Wars Story (Rob Bredow, Patrick Tubach, Neal Scanlan and Dominic Tuohy)

Adapted Screenplay

The Ballad of Buster Scruggs (Joel and Ethan Coen)
BlackkKlansman (Charlie Wachtel, DAvid Rabinowitz, Kevin Wilmott and Spike Lee)
Can You Ever Forgive Me? (Nicole Holofcener and Jeff Whitty)
If Beale Street Could Talk (Barry Jenkins)
A Star is Born (Eric Roth, Bradley Cooper, Will Fetters)

Original Screenplay

The Favourite (Deborah Davis and Tony McNamara)
First Reformed (Paul Schrader)
Green Book (Nick Vallelonga, Brian Currie and Peter FArrelly)
Roma (Alfonso Cuaron)
Vice (Adam McKay)

Original Song

All the Stars, Black Panther
I’ll Fight, RBG
The Place Where Lost Things Go, Mary Poppins Returns
Shallow, A Star is Born
When a Cowboy Trades His Spurs for Wings, The Ballad of Buster Scruggs

Production Design

Black Panther (Hannah Beachler and Jay Hart)
The Favourite (Fiona Crombie and Alice Felton)
First Man (Nathan Crowly and Kathy Lucas)
Mary Poppins Returns (John Myhre and Gordon Sim)
Roma (Eugenio Caballero and Barbara Enriquez)

The Oscars will take place on Sunday 24th February at the Dolby Theatre in Hollywood, Los Angeles

I have seen Black Panther...
Nice to see Sam Rockwell get a nod, also Dafoe and Viggo. And no Meryl Streep!
Jaymann
]==(:::::::::::::>
Black Lives Matter
MHS

Post by MHS »

Jaymann wrote: I have seen Black Panther...
I’ve seen six of these! That might be a record for me.
Black Lives Matter. No human is illegal. Women's rights are human rights. Love is love. Science is real. Kindness is everything.
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

I've only seen some of the animated features and some of the shorts (animated and live action). None of the regular feature films.

Incredibles 2
Ralph Breaks Internet

Animal Behaviour (maybe?)
Bao
One Small Step

Fauve
Marguerite
Skin
" Hey OP, listen to my advice alright." -Tha General
"No scientific discovery is named after its original discoverer." -Stigler's Law of Eponymy, discovered by Robert K. Merton

MYT
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

MHS wrote: Tue Feb 12, 2019 12:23 pm
Hmmm...

Vice
First Man
Black Panther
Isle of Dogs
A Quiet Place
RBG
Avengers: Infinity War

...and The Incredibles 2 is currently #6 in my netflix queue, so I'll add that one in a couple of weeks. None of the ones I've seen were really outstanding. Vice was probably the best.
Rumpy

Post by Rumpy »

I'm rooting for Vice for Best Picture. Amazing movie. But I know it's likely to be an unpopular choice. But of course, the expected win this year is Roma, which seems to be this year's darling. I honestly couldn't stand it.
PC:
Ryzen 5 3600
32GB RAM
2x1TB NVMe Drives
GTX 1660 Ti
rittchard

Post by rittchard »

Rumpy wrote: Tue Feb 12, 2019 1:51 pm I'm rooting for Vice for Best Picture. Amazing movie. But I know it's likely to be an unpopular choice. But of course, the expected win this year is Roma, which seems to be this year's darling. I honestly couldn't stand it.
I asked a friend what he thought about Roma - he said it was incredibly boring. I asked if it was super artistic and maybe worth watching but he just kept shaking his head no lol.

I've only seen 3 of the nominees. Of those I'd say Black Panther was by far the most enjoyable, but to me it was overrated critically. I don't personally think it was so much better than any number of the other MCU movies; I'll just leave it at that. A Star is Born should have been called A Star is Boring, or A Crappy Old Star is Dying. The best part of that movie was the song Shallow, and even that they found a way to screw up within the context of the movie. He just starts singing (live in front of thousands!) the song SHE wrote and sang to him once on the street, and it just comes out perfect. I mean this is not freaking Glee lol. I'm a big Bradley Cooper fan and frankly I thought he ruined the movie with his hideous "accent" and focusing so much attention on his character. And sorry but he is just not that great a singer. I give him props for all the training he did but generally it's best for actors NOT to sing.

Which leaves... Bohemian Rhapsody. I don't know if I would have chosen it from all the movies I saw last year, but in this pool, I think that would be my personal choice. I thought Rami Malek did a brilliant job interpreting the character but I suspect Christian Bale may still win given the incredible transformation. Of course it has zero chance of actually winning given the controversy surrounding the director.
TheMix

Post by TheMix »

I'd never heard of Roma. So I just watched the trailer. I... still have no idea what it's about.

Black Lives Matter

Isgrimnur - Facebook makes you hate your friends and family. LinkedIn makes you hate you co-workers. NextDoor makes you hate your neighbors.
YellowKing

Post by YellowKing »

I watched Roma last night.

I usually keep an open mind about Best Picture nominees, and I've enjoyed many films I would have never otherwise seen. Heck, I even enjoyed that creepy gay old/young flick from last year, and that's about as far outside my wheelhouse as you can get.

But this thing was a total freaking bore. I appreciate the cinematography, and I'm sure it looked pretty stunning on the big screen, but my God this was an excruciatingly slow nothing of a movie. Total Oscar bait, and I can't imagine any other movie on this list is less entertaining.
gilraen

Post by gilraen »

Let's see...I've seen:

Green Book
Black Panther
Mary Poppins Returns
Avengers: Infinity War
Isle of Dogs
Bohemian Rhapsody
First Man
A Star Is Born
Incredibles 2
Ralph Breaks the Internet
Spider-Man: Into the Spider-verse
RBG

I still want to see Vice and Can You Ever Forgive Me?, and maybe The Favourite. Still, pretty good, considering that prior to last year I'd see maybe 1 or 2 nominees (but there are many more mainstream films up for awards these days, so that's part of the shift).
coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

MHS wrote: Tue Feb 12, 2019 12:23 pm
A record for me too. I've seen TWO of the best picture nominees (Thanks American Airlines!).
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
Pyperkub

Post by Pyperkub »

AWS260 wrote: Tue Feb 12, 2019 11:07 am
The Hollywood Reporter wrote:In a break with tradition, the Academy Awards in four categories will be presented during commercial breaks when the 91st Oscars are broadcast by ABC on Feb. 24.

The affected categories are cinematography, film editing, live-action short and makeup and hairstyling.
they should just start an hour earlier and cut the song performances.
Black Lives definitely Matter Lorini!

Also: There are three ways to not tell the truth: lies, damned lies, and statistics.
ImLawBoy
Forum Admin

Post by ImLawBoy »

I have seen none of these.
That's my purse! I don't know you!
Jaymann

Post by Jaymann »

Not a fan of Kevin Hart, will probably pass.
Jaymann
Black Lives Matter
AWS260

Post by AWS260 »

Jaymann wrote: Tue Feb 12, 2019 6:17 pm Not a fan of Kevin Hart, will probably pass.
I have good news for you.
For the first time in three decades, the Oscars will officially have no host.

ABC Entertainment PR and an Academy spokesperson confirmed the information to ABC News on Tuesday, months after Kevin Hart stepped down as host.
Rumpy

Post by Rumpy »

rittchard wrote: Tue Feb 12, 2019 3:04 pm I asked a friend what he thought about Roma - he said it was incredibly boring. I asked if it was super artistic and maybe worth watching but he just kept shaking his head no lol.

Yeah, pretty much my sentiment. And yet the critics LOVE it! Talk about dissonance. In the opening alone, you can tell right off the bat what kind of movie it is. Two minutes of water down a drain? It sets the tone. Now, I don't blame the director for making it as he has fond memories of his childhood, but at least make it interesting. Most of what we see is zoomed as far away as possible and it was hard for me to make any form of connection, emotional or otherwise with what I was seeing on screen, both because it was difficult to see what was going on and because anything that did happen in this movie seemed to be so tangential. There's no real story to speak of, and no real plot to speak of. Yet it's still the most likely to win Best Picture. Go figure.

And I say that as someone who loves watching indie and foreign movies, so subtitles are definitely not an issue.

For once, I'd like to see an upset go to a movie critics weren't all raving about, to a movie that really deserves it.
PC:
Ryzen 5 3600
32GB RAM
2x1TB NVMe Drives
GTX 1660 Ti
Max Peck

Post by Max Peck »

Oscars 2019: All awards will be shown live after backlash
The organisers of the Oscars have reversed an earlier decision to hand out four awards during ad breaks after facing a major backlash.

The presentations for live action short, cinematography, editing and make-up and hair were to be streamed online in an effort to shorten this year's TV broadcast on 24 February.

Dozens of directors, cinematographers and actors had criticised the decision.

Organisers said on Friday it had heard the "feedback" and changed their mind.

A statement by the Academy of Motion Picture Arts and Sciences said: "All Academy Awards will be presented without edits, in our traditional format. We look forward to Oscar Sunday, February 24."
I'd have thought they would have factored the pushback into the original decision. There was no way that relegating cinematography and editing to the sidelines was going to fly with filmmakers.
"What? What? What?" -- The 14th Doctor

It's not enough to be a good player... you also have to play well. -- Siegbert Tarrasch
YellowKing

Post by YellowKing »

Can we not have a host every year? It's really helped move things along. I don't find myself missing the awkward jokes at all.

I also suspect the streamlining has allowed them to give a little extra time for the speeches, and it's nice to see the "little guys" not rushed off the stage. The only crew they cut the mic on so far was a trio who couldn't decide who was going to say what and were trying to read illegible handwriting from a note.
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

We caught some bits with the sound off while we were out to dinner tonight. The name of the award was in a microscopic font, so I mostly couldn't tell what we were seeing. But it did seem to be moving along at a reasonable clip without a lot of filler between awards.

The camera was on Brian May frequently thanks to his telegenic hair. Did Queen open the show, as I had read they would? If so, was Rami Malek on stage with them? That would have been kinda cool.
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

Kraken wrote: Sun Feb 24, 2019 11:05 pm We caught some bits with the sound off while we were out to dinner tonight. The name of the award was in a microscopic font, so I mostly couldn't tell what we were seeing. But it did seem to be moving along at a reasonable clip without a lot of filler between awards.

The camera was on Brian May frequently thanks to his telegenic hair. Did Queen open the show, as I had read they would? If so, was Rami Malek on stage with them? That would have been kinda cool.
Queen did open the show, with We Will Rock You and We Are the Champions. Rami Malek was not on stage with them (he wasn't singing during the movie, after all) - they performed with Adam Lambert (who they are touring with these days).
Black Lives Matter.
$iljanus
Forum Moderator

Post by $iljanus »

Well damn Rami won an Oscar. I keep seeing him as Mr. Robot. Nice acceptance speech.
Black lives matter!

Wise words of warning from Smoove B: Oh, how you all laughed when I warned you about the semen. Well, who's laughing now?
YellowKing

Post by YellowKing »

As much as I was disinterested in this year's Oscars due to my lack of familiarity with most of the movies, I have to say it was a really great show. None of the stupid host comedy bullshit to distract, some nice little speeches, a very diverse array of presenters and winners. Also some big surprises - I read a lot of prediction articles before these and the conventional wisdom didn't hold up much at all. Maybe the big secret all along was to stop trying to "entertain" the television audience and just present the damn awards to the people in the room.
Suitably Ironic Moniker

Post by Suitably Ironic Moniker »

So, Driving Miss Daisy 2: Daisy’s Behind the Wheel won...I enjoyed the film, and it was well written, acted and directed, but I guarantee that this will be looked back upon as a mistake a la Crash and Shakespeare in Love. I don’t think I could necessarily disagree, either, as I think that the movie was too pat with its feel-good story that allows moviegoers to see how they want the world to be in regards to these two men’s relationship without facing the real work that is involved in fighting real racist beliefs and behaviors. At least Vice didn’t win.

I do agree with YK that this was a surprisingly well-done show. It flowed really nicely without a host.
When I was a boy, I laid in my twin-sized bed and wondered where my brother was. - Mitch Hedberg
$iljanus
Forum Moderator

Post by $iljanus »

Yup, the winner of the night is... No host!
Black lives matter!

Wise words of warning from Smoove B: Oh, how you all laughed when I warned you about the semen. Well, who's laughing now?
Jaymann

Post by Jaymann »

They even tossed a bone to Spike Lee.
Jaymann
Black Lives Matter
Rumpy

Post by Rumpy »

Once Roma began winning in other categories, at least 3 awards nabbed in total including Best Director and Best Foreign Film, I figured it wouldn't win Best Picture. Seems fair enough seeing as most movies get a shot at Best Picture, but not all get a shot at Best Foreign.
PC:
Ryzen 5 3600
32GB RAM
2x1TB NVMe Drives
GTX 1660 Ti
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

I read somewhere that Netflix spent over $25M in it's Oscar campaign for Roma. The film's production budget was $15M. That's crazy.

The few moments I watched seemed way too orchestrated. One presenter was speaking in Spanish saying how walls can't stop the flows of ideas and talent. Then he presented the foreign language film award to Roma, a Mexican film. Samuel L. Jackson presented the award to Spike Lee.

I mean they were nice moments, made for good TV and all that, but you have to wonder how secret those envelopes really are. Or are they just playing the odds?
"No scientific discovery is named after its original discoverer." -Stigler's Law of Eponymy, discovered by Robert K. Merton

MYT
AWS260

Post by AWS260 »

Trevor Noah wins the Oscars.
While presenting the montage for "Best Picture" nominee Black Panther, Noah touched on the "universal appeal" of the Marvel story while throwing shade at those who really believe Wakanda is a real place, greeting him with "Wakanda Forever."

"Growing up as a young boy in Wakanda, I would see T'Challa flying over our village, and he would remind me of a great Xhosa phrase," he says, "'Abelungu abazi' uba ndiyaxoka'—which means, 'In times like these, we are stronger when we fight together than when we try to fight apart."

Thing is—that's not what the phrase means.

Despite folks fawning that he spoke his mother tongue, he instead did a solid for the Xhosa speakers paying attention.

"The real translation is, 'White people don't know I'm lying,' " affirms Zimbabwean TV host Makho Ndlovu on Twitter, giving us the real tea.
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

Rumpy wrote: Mon Feb 25, 2019 1:27 am Once Roma began winning in other categories, at least 3 awards nabbed in total including Best Director and Best Foreign Film, I figured it wouldn't win Best Picture. Seems fair enough seeing as most movies get a shot at Best Picture, but not all get a shot at Best Foreign.
I read somewhere that no film has ever won both Best Foreign and Picture. Or maybe it was only one other film. Whichever, winning Best Foreign was a strong indication that Roma wasn't going to take Picture.

I hadn't even put Green Car (or whatever Driving Miss Daisy II is called) on the netflix list, but now Wife is going to want to see it.
Ralph-Wiggum

Post by Ralph-Wiggum »

I wouldn't discount the idea that a Netflix production may have more resistance to winning Best Picture than a movie from a traditional studio.
Black Lives Matter
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

Kraken wrote: Mon Feb 25, 2019 12:40 pm
Rumpy wrote: Mon Feb 25, 2019 1:27 am Once Roma began winning in other categories, at least 3 awards nabbed in total including Best Director and Best Foreign Film, I figured it wouldn't win Best Picture. Seems fair enough seeing as most movies get a shot at Best Picture, but not all get a shot at Best Foreign.
I read somewhere that no film has ever won both Best Foreign and Picture. Or maybe it was only one other film. Whichever, winning Best Foreign was a strong indication that Roma wasn't going to take Picture.

I hadn't even put Green Car (or whatever Driving Miss Daisy II is called) on the netflix list, but now Wife is going to want to see it.
It's called "Green Book" and from what I can tell it has almost nothing to do with the actual Green Book. Which is a shame. The story of the Green Book is a fascinating one.

MYT
GreenGoo

Post by GreenGoo »

Ralph-Wiggum wrote: Mon Feb 25, 2019 12:49 pm I wouldn't discount the idea that a Netflix production may have more resistance to winning Best Picture than a movie from a traditional studio.
Wouldn't surprise me in the least. It's hard to imagine an industry that operates more as a "good ol' boys club" than the entertainment industry. Like 99% of it is subjective decisions made by a power hierarchy with a few individuals at the top, and minimal regulation. It's a miracle they aren't all Weinstein's. Maybe they are.
Pyperkub

Post by Pyperkub »

Pyperkub wrote: Tue Feb 12, 2019 6:03 pm
AWS260 wrote: Tue Feb 12, 2019 11:07 am

they should just start an hour earlier and cut the song performances.
OK, 4 of the song performances could have been cut, but Lady Gaga and Bradley Cooper knocked it out of the house!

I still would rather see more of the films nominated, especially Cinematography.

Also, at my age (and many of the Oscar viewers, I suspect), more clips in the Memoriam segment. The Emmys have become far superior to the Oscars in how they do this.

Essentially, do a better job of celebrating movies, and all the aspects of movie making, while presenting the awards.
Black Lives definitely Matter Lorini!

Also: There are three ways to not tell the truth: lies, damned lies, and statistics.
Rumpy

Post by Rumpy »

Kraken wrote: Mon Feb 25, 2019 12:40 pm
Yeah, that was my read on that as well, but I wasn't sure if it if was possible. But I've noticed over the years that some of the nominated movies would tend to gather a lot of wins to sort of make up for the fact that they wouldn't win Best Picture.
Pyperkub wrote: Mon Feb 25, 2019 1:25 pm I still would rather see more of the films nominated, especially Cinematography.
Speaking of Cinematography, I don't think Roma really deserved that one. Most of the shots seem to be tripod shots with little to no panning. Most of them were just still with the actors doing the moving.

And did anyone find it odd that Ali's win was for Best Supporting Actor when for all intents and purposes, he was basically the main star of the movie? I had to look it up to find out that Viggo was the other star and he wasn't promoted quite as much.
PC:
Ryzen 5 3600
32GB RAM
2x1TB NVMe Drives
GTX 1660 Ti
Exodor

Post by Exodor »

Rumpy wrote: Mon Feb 25, 2019 2:24 pm And did anyone find it odd that Ali's win was for Best Supporting Actor when for all intents and purposes, he was basically the main star of the movie? I had to look it up to find out that Viggo was the other star and he wasn't promoted quite as much.
Yeah I thought it was odd that Ali was nominated for Supporting Actor when he carried the film.

I saw many of the Oscar favorites this year. Green Book was fine but there are several best picture nominees that I enjoyed more.
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

Exodor wrote: Mon Feb 25, 2019 2:53 pm
Rumpy wrote: Mon Feb 25, 2019 2:24 pm And did anyone find it odd that Ali's win was for Best Supporting Actor when for all intents and purposes, he was basically the main star of the movie? I had to look it up to find out that Viggo was the other star and he wasn't promoted quite as much.
Yeah I thought it was odd that Ali was nominated for Supporting Actor when he carried the film.

I saw many of the Oscar favorites this year. Green Book was fine but there are several best picture nominees that I enjoyed more.
I think there's some strategery involved in category submissions, where the studios are trying to maximize the number of wins for the film. So the thinking may have been that Ali had a better shot at winning in the Supporting Actor field than in the Best Actor field. Though it's not a great look submitting the white guy for the more prestigious category and the black guy for the less prestigious category. Unless they were also going for a meta point.
Black Lives Matter.
rittchard

Post by rittchard »

This was my favorite part:

https://www.vogue.com/article/billy-por ... an-siriano

YOU GO GIRL.

Maybe it was because I was ill but the show didn't seem as dull as I thought it would. It was worth waiting for the GaGa/Bradley lovefest, they are so hot together. Thank you Bradley for singing with your regular voice.
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

rittchard wrote: Mon Feb 25, 2019 3:22 pm This was my favorite part:

https://www.vogue.com/article/billy-por ... an-siriano

YOU GO GIRL.

(Since Vogue didn't mention it. Harper's did.)

MYT
Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

Spiderverse won Best Animated, so things are right with the world. Except it didn't even get a nod for Best Picture (and the Academy further semi-insulted the category by tying it to kids in the intro). It absolutely deserved to be a best picture candidate.

Re: Green Book. Meh. I'm not stoked that it won (I thought it was good, but not necessarily great). I felt it wasted an opportunity to give a more 'real' view on race rather than its focus of 'haha, wasn't that a crazy time, back in the 60s, when racism against black people was a big thing. Crazy, amirite?' Not to mention the issues surrounding Mortenson, Farrelly, and Nicky V. I also was taken aback by the fact that Viggo was nominated for lead actor, while Ali was a 'supporting' actor. Nothing against Viggo--he did a great job and deserved the nod, IMO--but Ali was absolutely a lead, as well. The two of them are like 95% of the acting of the entire film!

Best moment of the night: Olivia Colman's acceptance speech. By a mile.

I think in the future the Oscars should just have Amy Poehler, Maya Rudolph, and Tina Fey come out every other commercial break, denying that they're hosting.