[movie] Aladdin live action..Will Smith genie

Everything else!

Moderators: Bakhtosh, EvilHomer3k

McNutt

Re: [movie] Aladdin live action..Will Smith genie

Post by McNutt »

It was a lot better than I anticipated based on that first trailer. My family really enjoyed it and I thought Will Smith did a great job.
Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

Just saw this with my girls today. I agree with the consensus that the 2nd half is much better than the first. And that Smith does well as Genie.

Maybe it's the fact that I'm raising two daughters, but 'Speechless' was a highlight for me. In the cartoon, Jasmine is basically there to fill a token role. She has no agency. Eventually her Dad pats her on the head and allows her to marry the dude she just met. In this version she has ambitions beyond marrying some guy, she stands up for herself, and she earns the right to become the next leader. Oh, and also to marry the dude she just met.

#agencyforjasmine
Hyena

Post by Hyena »

Agreed on the "Speechless" song. I'm sure there's the neanderthal community out there screaming "SJW!" but my wife and I thought she absolutely stole the whole movie. If that's really her voice, then DAMN that girl good.

This just in: Will Smith is an amazing entertainer, but dude can't sing. Rap? Hell yes. Sing? Nuh-uh.
"You laugh at me because I'm different; I laugh at you because you're all the same." ~Jonathan Davis

"The object of education is to prepare the young to educate themselves throughout their lives." ~Robert M. Hutchins
Rumpy

Post by Rumpy »

Well, I thought he did much better than I expected him to be for singing straight, so there's that.

Well, with Speechless, I absolutely didn't mind the role of the song. I certainly found it fitting, but stylistically it just felt like it didn't fit in the rest. It felt a bit too modern and out of step with the style of the movie, fitting a song from 2019 into a movie from the 90's.
PC:
Ryzen 5 3600
32GB RAM
2x1TB NVMe Drives
GTX 1660 Ti
Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

Hyena wrote: Sun Jun 30, 2019 10:20 am Agreed on the "Speechless" song. I'm sure there's the neanderthal community out there screaming "SJW!" but my wife and I thought she absolutely stole the whole movie. If that's really her voice, then DAMN that girl good.
Concur. Autotuned Emma Watson in Beauty & The Beast she is not.

I was also curious to see how produced that song is. It's a Disney ballad so maybe not representative. But Scott has a history as a musician long before Aladdin, so I took a listen to her old stuff this weekend.

Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

For completeness, here's Speechless for anyone watching this thread and having not yet seen the movie. I think the song's a lot more powerful in context within the movie scenes in which it occurs, but Disney seems to have deemed those clips non-YouTubeable in good quality, so this one is what we get:

Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Wife and I just saw it. I thought it was ok.
It's almost as if people are the problem.
ImLawBoy
Forum Admin

Post by ImLawBoy »

The twins went to Build-a-Bear with Grandma and Grandpa on Saturday as their birthday present, so my wife and I took the big kid to see this. I've never seen the original cartoon, so I went it with a clean slate. I agree with the general consensus that it started slow, but I thought it hit its stride once Will Smith showed up. I can't compare him to Robin Williams, but I thought he was fantastic. Overall it's not really my type of movie, but I still enjoyed watching it with wife and kid.

Incidentally, this was the first theater experience for my son. We were very nervous about the volume and whether that would bother him (his brother and sister crying too much can sometimes set him off), but he did great and was really into it.

Finally, it's kind of funny to read this thread from the beginning and see people predicting this to be a train wreck, only to be won over by the eventual movie. I don't know if it was the fault of the early trailers or just so much respect for Williams, but I'm glad folks gave it a fair shake.
That's my purse! I don't know you!
Rumpy

Post by Rumpy »

ImLawBoy wrote: Mon Aug 05, 2019 10:28 am Finally, it's kind of funny to read this thread from the beginning and see people predicting this to be a train wreck, only to be won over by the eventual movie. I don't know if it was the fault of the early trailers or just so much respect for Williams, but I'm glad folks gave it a fair shake.
Personally, I think it was. The trailers were awful and just ended up making things look awkward and didn't do the movie justice at all. It's when Will Smith comes into his own that it gets better.
PC:
Ryzen 5 3600
32GB RAM
2x1TB NVMe Drives
GTX 1660 Ti