Ridley Scott’s Alien will finally be released in 4K HDR for its 40th anniversary

Everything else!

Moderators: Bakhtosh, EvilHomer3k

Daehawk

Ridley Scott’s Alien will finally be released in 4K HDR for its 40th anniversary

Post by Daehawk »

https://arstechnica.com/gaming/2019/02/ ... niversary/

The long wait is over for sci-fi and horror film buffs: the 1979 classic Alien will be released in 4K and HDR for the film's 40th anniversary. The remaster will be available on an UltraHD Blu-ray disc.

The discs will include new commentary from Ridley Scott and members of the cast and crew, and it will also include a previous commentary by Scott from 1999 and a number of deleted scenes. While the UltraHD Blu-ray disc will be available from a variety of retailers, Best Buy will offer an exclusive steelbook edition with artwork and other extras.

Enlarge Image

Enlarge Image
--------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.
I guess Ray Butts has ate his last pancake.
http://steamcommunity.com/id/daehawk
"Has high IQ. Refuses to apply it"
hepcat

Re: Ridley Scott’s Alien will finally be released in 4K HDR for its 40th anniversary

Post by hepcat »

I'm curious to see how this will turn out. The HDR especially seems like it would be difficult to add.
Covfefe!
pr0ner

Re: Ridley Scott’s Alien will finally be released in 4K HDR for its 40th anniversary

Post by pr0ner »

hepcat wrote: Thu Feb 28, 2019 4:25 pm I'm curious to see how this will turn out. The HDR especially seems like it would be difficult to add.
Why? It's been done for movies older than Alien.
Hodor.
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

It's such a dark film though. Also, I haven't been terribly impressed with what they've done with HDR on older films.
Covfefe!
stessier

Post by stessier »

hepcat wrote: Thu Feb 28, 2019 4:33 pm It's such a dark film though. Also, I haven't been terribly impressed with what they've done with HDR on older films.
That should make it work even better. I bet it would look amazing in HDR on an OLED.
I require a reminder as to why raining arcane destruction is not an appropriate response to all of life's indignities. - Vaarsuvius
Global Steam Wishmaslist Tracking
Running____2014: 1300.55 miles____2015: 2036.13 miles____2016: 1012.75 miles____2017: 1105.82 miles____2018: 1318.91 miles__2019: 2000.00 miles
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

Feeling nostalgic, I grabbed Aliens of HBO some free weekend and watched it, not realizing it was the HD version. I don't think I'd seen the movie in probably 30 years and seeing it again in HD was insane. 4k for the original? I can't even imagine.
Maybe next year, maybe no go
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

I have the blu ray collection and I rewatch Aliens at least once every few years. There are very few perfect action films. Aliens is one of them.

Alien though? That's a whole other ballgame. It always amazes me that they let a new director go in a completely different direction with the sequel.
Covfefe!
Holman

Post by Holman »

hepcat wrote: Thu Feb 28, 2019 5:05 pm Alien though? That's a whole other ballgame. It always amazes me that they let a new director go in a completely different direction with the sequel.
It's even worse when the original director does.
Much prefer my Nazis Nuremberged.
Hipolito

Post by Hipolito »

Confession: I've never seen the full Alien movie. Only a few bits of it. Now's my chance.
Holman

Post by Holman »

Hipolito wrote: Fri Mar 01, 2019 12:08 am Confession: I've never seen the full Alien movie. Only a few bits of it. Now's my chance.
Omigosh, you're in for a treat!

ALIENS is a great action/war movie, but ALIEN is a work of art. Even leaving aside its SF/horror genre greatness, it's just astonishing film-making.
Much prefer my Nazis Nuremberged.
morlac

Post by morlac »

stessier wrote: Thu Feb 28, 2019 4:35 pm
hepcat wrote: Thu Feb 28, 2019 4:33 pm It's such a dark film though. Also, I haven't been terribly impressed with what they've done with HDR on older films.
That should make it work even better. I bet it would look amazing in HDR on an OLED.
Exactly, OLEd is all about the darkest black levels. I expect it to look glorious on mine.
pr0ner

Post by pr0ner »

morlac wrote: Fri Mar 01, 2019 11:53 am
stessier wrote: Thu Feb 28, 2019 4:35 pm
Exactly, OLEd is all about the darkest black levels. I expect it to look glorious on mine.
A bit off topic, but have you encountered any burn in issues with your OLED? And which model do you have?
Hodor.
morlac

Post by morlac »

LG C8 55".

edit to add: had for 1.25 years.

Best TV I have ever owned. It is stunning to watch 4k content and play XBOX one/HDR games. No burn in issues but this TV is in my game room so not our main living room screen. I do play console and PC games on it as well as watch movies in sports. No News channels where the permanent banners cause the most issues. I do try and not leave it on when not in use like I tend to with other tvs.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

I hate banners and logos. Why do they think we need a reminder of what channel we are watching when we already know.
--------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.
I guess Ray Butts has ate his last pancake.
http://steamcommunity.com/id/daehawk
"Has high IQ. Refuses to apply it"
pr0ner

Post by pr0ner »

morlac wrote: Fri Mar 01, 2019 5:23 pm LG C8 55".

edit to add: had for 1.25 years.

Best TV I have ever owned. It is stunning to watch 4k content and play XBOX one/HDR games. No burn in issues but this TV is in my game room so not our main living room screen. I do play console and PC games on it as well as watch movies in sports. No News channels where the permanent banners cause the most issues. I do try and not leave it on when not in use like I tend to with other tvs.
Thanks. I have a Samsung KS8000 I bought in late 2016; the colors and HDR on it are great, but vertical blooming is certainly noticeable at night. I bought it because it was $1000 cheaper than an OLED at the time; with the price drops on OLEDs, my decision for my next TV will be a lot harder.

Also, to get back on subject, I'll most likely buy this disc, but I may wait to see what Fox does with the rest of the Alien films before pulling the trigger.
Hodor.