Fundraising complete, next renewal is August 2022. Paypal Donation Links US dollars CDN Dollars

Alex Trebek has Stage 4 Pancreatic Cancer

Everything else!

Moderators: EvilHomer3k, Bakhtosh

Rumpy

Re: Alex Trebek has Stage 4 Pancreatic Cancer

Post by Rumpy »

El Guapo wrote: Thu Nov 12, 2020 5:03 pm Oddsmakers have included Trump as a long-shot bet to replace Trebek.

I'm sure that they're looking for suckers when they make that an option. BUT you know, if it'll get Trump to go peacefully...
Definitely a long-shot. But I like the idea of Levar Burton.
PC:
Intel DH55PJ
Intel i5 660
8GB RAM
Asus ROG 4GB 1050Ti
The Meal

Post by The Meal »

So we're all just pretending that it's obviously not going to be Ken Jennings?

[edit: opened the link — okay, sanity restored]
2 + 2 = 5

Come play online poker with fellow forum members!
Jeff V

Post by Jeff V »

Can't believe John Razenberger isn't on that list.
Black Lives Matter
ImLawBoy
Forum Admin

Post by ImLawBoy »

Jeff V wrote: Fri Nov 13, 2020 2:11 pm Can't believe John Razenberger isn't on that list.
Wouldn't that only work if the host was constantly giving the wrong answers?
That's my purse! I don't know you!
Jeff V

Post by Jeff V »

ImLawBoy wrote: Fri Nov 13, 2020 3:40 pm
Jeff V wrote: Fri Nov 13, 2020 2:11 pm Can't believe John Razenberger isn't on that list.
Wouldn't that only work if the host was constantly giving the wrong answers?
If you recall, Cliff gave an astounding number of correct answers, bet it all on Final Jeopardy, then lost because that was the one time he got the wrong answer. "Pulling a Cliff Clavin" became a colloquialism for losing Jeopardy by betting more than necessary to assure victory, especially if you had a lock.

Now, they do have 100:1 odds on Trump. They would have to rename it Alt-Jeopardy -- the contestant would get it right but then be told he was wrong, the correct answer being something batshit crazy or outright lies.

The name I like most on the list is Levar Burton (they mentioned him on the news this morning. I'd rather see Jennings continue appearing in those periodic special tournaments.
Black Lives Matter
Sudy

Post by Sudy »

LeVar Burton would be a wonderful host, but I think his talents would be wasted on a quiz show that tapes, what, 200+ episodes a year? But obviously, that's his decision to make. You'd think he certainly deserves such a cushy gig if he wants it.

Surprised Gilbert Gottfried's not higher on the list though....
“Also, Dude, ‘Sand People’ is not the preferred nomenclature; Tusken Raider, please.”
“Walter, this isn't a guy who built the moisture vaporators, here....”
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Close it down. Jeopardy is dead along with Alex.
https://www.gofundme.com/please-help-di ... -wife-died ....Help for me to take care of stuff . Wife died Jan 3 2019 after 31 years. My soulmate.
---------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.
GroovAtroN, stop asking
I guess Ray Butts has ate his last pancake.
http://steamcommunity.com/id/daehawk
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

LeVar Burton would be an excellent choice. The thing that made Trebek work so well is that he exuded friendly, non-intimidating intelligence. You felt like he knew all of the answers, or at least knew what he was talking about. I have no idea how intelligent he actually was, but he game across as brilliant.

Burton has that same effect, and he's certainly devoted himself to spreading a love of knowledge.

Black Lives Matter
Rumpy

Post by Rumpy »

Blackhawk wrote: Sat Nov 14, 2020 9:19 am LeVar Burton would be an excellent choice. The thing that made Trebek work so well is that he exuded friendly, non-intimidating intelligence. You felt like he knew all of the answers, or at least knew what he was talking about. I have no idea how intelligent he actually was, but he game across as brilliant.

Burton has that same effect, and he's certainly devoted himself to spreading a love of knowledge.
Agreed. From what I'd heard, Trebek was well-read. He loved reading and filling himself with knowledge, and I think LeVar Burton shares many of those qualities, including the charisma needed as host.

Ken Jennings, while he might make a good champion, I don't think would make for a particularly good host.
PC:
Intel DH55PJ
Intel i5 660
8GB RAM
Asus ROG 4GB 1050Ti
Jeff V

Post by Jeff V »

Blackhawk wrote: Sat Nov 14, 2020 9:19 am Burton has that same effect, and he's certainly devoted himself to spreading a love of knowledge.
I had about a 30 second 1 on 1 with Burton when he was pimping a sci fi book he wrote. In that brief time he was totally engaged in our brief interaction. That's impressive at an event where he was having the same moment with hundreds, maybe a thousand, people (he was near the height of his ST:TNG popularity).

Another name on the list was Neil DeGrasse Tyson. Like him a lot, not for that though, he has a much different calling. A name I didn't see on the list who would also be excellent (but at 74 is probably too old) was Cheech Marin; he was excellent on Celebrity Jeopardy in the past and seems to have a good balance of congeniality and smarts.
Black Lives Matter
Jeff V

Post by Jeff V »

Daehawk wrote: Fri Nov 13, 2020 10:44 pm Close it down. Jeopardy is dead along with Alex.
Alex wasn't the first host, there's no reason he should be the last. It's too excellent of a game show, and it's certainly stood the test of time. I never knew anyone who made it on the show, but one of the smartest guys I knew (deceased now) made it to verbal auditions but was tripped up on a literature category. As well read as I am (and he was even more so) those are often my downfall as the subject matter is just too vast...sometimes I get lucky and know the answer, but that's still my Achilles heel.

I did the online test once. The challenge there is typing the correct answer without mistakes in 30 seconds. If you instantly know the answer and your heart rate is under control, then you can. I'd probably would have succeeded if I had an accurate touch typist available, I recall knowing the answers but having a hard time getting them down in time.
Black Lives Matter
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

https://www.gofundme.com/please-help-di ... -wife-died ....Help for me to take care of stuff . Wife died Jan 3 2019 after 31 years. My soulmate.
GroovAtroN, stop asking
Biyobi

Post by Biyobi »

Will Ferrell? It'll be like Alex never left us.

I'd put my vote behind LeVar Burton as well.
Black Lives Matter
Rumpy

Post by Rumpy »

Eugene Levy would have to have a chance. Afterall, he preferred his version of him from SCTV rather than Will Ferrell's.

PC:
Intel DH55PJ
Intel i5 660
8GB RAM
Asus ROG 4GB 1050Ti
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Is she wearing dark skin makeup?

Man John Candy young..cool.

Id take away their buzzers if real :)

Loved seeing Doug..I MEAN DAVE
GroovAtroN, stop asking
AWS260

Post by AWS260 »

That was delightful to watch.
Rumpy

Post by Rumpy »

Here's Trebek's acceptance speech with the Canadian Academy. Impassioned praise for his Canadian brethen and beaucoup de Français.

PC:
Intel DH55PJ
Intel i5 660
8GB RAM
Asus ROG 4GB 1050Ti
pr0ner

Post by pr0ner »

Ken Jennings did just fine in his first turn as guest host of Jeopardy! last night.
Hodor.
Octavious

Post by Octavious »

We watched it and ya he actually wasn't bad. He certainly seems like after a little while he will grow into it. Thing is that no matter what anyone does they won't ever be able to fill Alex's shoes.
Capitalism tries for a delicate balance: It attempts to work things out so that everyone gets just enough stuff to keep them from getting violent and trying to take other people’s stuff.

Shameless plug for my website: www.nettphoto.com