1985-1988
1%
post-1988
No votes

Total votes: 136

Isgrimnur

Re: [Poll] How old are we?

Post by Isgrimnur »

LordMortis wrote: Thu Mar 21, 2019 4:23 pm You are some sort of alien vampire from an uncharted part of the galaxy?
Have you not seen his senior yearbook photo?

It's almost as if people are the problem.
Scuzz

Post by Scuzz »

Holman wrote: Thu Mar 21, 2019 3:48 pm Apollo 8 launched just hours after my birth, so I was alive before anyone went to the moon.

This was in the very final days of the LBJ administration, and I do have dim recollections of Watergate on TV.
I have memories of JFK-Nixon in 1960 and my parents talking about it. Those are probably (assuming they are real) some of the oldest memories I have. I would have been 5 years old. I do remember a few things close to that age but most everything is a blur.
Black Lives Matter
Scuzz

Post by Scuzz »

gameoverman wrote: Thu Mar 21, 2019 1:35 pm
dbt1949 wrote: Wed Mar 20, 2019 3:01 pm I was in Viet Nam for the moon landing. Watched it on a rented B&W TV.
That's the kind of thing that blows my mind. People are landing on the moon and yet people are also still watching black and white television at the time. I suspect that some time in the future people's minds will be blown looking back to these days. "They had 'smart' devices and mobile phones and the internet but didn't even have...", I'd guess it'll involve robots. One day robots will be as common to have around as your cellphone, then people who grew up in that era won't be able to comprehend how you could live without robots to do your bidding.
Is it any wonder people believe it was faked. When your cell phone has more computing power than the first ships to the moon.
Black Lives Matter
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

I have memories talking to G'ma about Carter-Reagan while we were in Germany.
Scuzz

Post by Scuzz »

Isgrimnur wrote: Thu Mar 21, 2019 4:49 pm I have memories talking to G'ma about Carter-Reagan while we were in Germany.
I have memories of talking about Reagan in Germany as well. While on a 6 week backpacking trip with some friends in 1980. The Germans we talked to wanted to know all about Reagan. :)
Black Lives Matter
Drazzil

Post by Drazzil »

Scuzz wrote: Thu Mar 21, 2019 4:46 pm
dbt1949 wrote: Wed Mar 20, 2019 3:01 pm I was in Viet Nam for the moon landing. Watched it on a rented B&W TV.
That's the kind of thing that blows my mind. People are landing on the moon and yet people are also still watching black and white television at the time. I suspect that some time in the future people's minds will be blown looking back to these days. "They had 'smart' devices and mobile phones and the internet but didn't even have...", I'd guess it'll involve robots. One day robots will be as common to have around as your cellphone, then people who grew up in that era won't be able to comprehend how you could live without robots to do your bidding.
Is it any wonder people believe it was faked. When your cell phone has more computing power than the first ships to the moon.
From what one of my old math teachers told me the cheap calculators my high school used 20 yrs ago had more computing power.
Daehawk wrote:Thats Drazzil's chair damnit.
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

Isgrimnur wrote: Thu Mar 21, 2019 4:49 pm I have memories talking to G'ma about Carter-Reagan while we were in Germany.
I'm old enough to have gotten to the point where I am repeating myself.

I have a memory of thinking Gabe Caplin was about to be president because "Welcome Back Carter"
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

I had (probably still have) a Jimmy Carter roach clip -- a peanut with exaggerated lips. I'll bet somebody somewhere would pay real money for that.
Jaymann

Post by Jaymann »

Scuzz wrote: Thu Mar 21, 2019 4:46 pm
Even more damning is NASA claims to have lost the moon mission technology and can't recreate it. :doh:
Jaymann
]==(:::::::::::::>
Black Lives Matter
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Scuzz wrote: Thu Mar 21, 2019 4:51 pm
I have memories of talking about Reagan in Germany as well. While on a 6 week backpacking trip with some friends in 1980. The Germans we talked to wanted to know all about Reagan. :)
Given that I was more concerned with the officer's husky that lived on the hill and when it would snow so I could sled down said hill, I wasn't speaking to any Germans.
Lassr

Post by Lassr »

Feb 66, I vaguely remember my mom telling me to watch the moon landing because it was important.
The only reason people get lost in thought is because it's unfamiliar territory.

Black Lives Matter
Unagi

Post by Unagi »

Lassr wrote: Thu Mar 21, 2019 5:41 pm Feb 66, I vaguely remember my mom telling me to watch the moon landing because it was important.
Describe in single words only the good things that come into your mind about your mother.
Lassr

Post by Lassr »

Unagi wrote: Thu Mar 21, 2019 5:47 pm
Lassr wrote: Thu Mar 21, 2019 5:41 pm Feb 66, I vaguely remember my mom telling me to watch the moon landing because it was important.
Describe in single words only the good things that come into your mind about your mother.
:think:
Am I being psychoanalyze Dr Unagi?

Kind, Generous, Supportive
The only reason people get lost in thought is because it's unfamiliar territory.

Black Lives Matter
Moliere

Post by Moliere »

Not a single person younger than 30? :think:
"The world is suffering more today from the good people who want to mind other men's business than it is from the bad people who are willing to let everybody look after their own individual affairs." - Clarence Darrow
Unagi

Post by Unagi »

Lassr wrote: Thu Mar 21, 2019 7:30 pm

:D , not sure why I felt like making a Blade Runner reference there... but I appreciate you playing along.
Holman

Post by Holman »

Enlarge Image

Computer Scientist Margaret Hamilton, lead developer of Apollo Program flight software, standing next to the moonshot navigation code that she and her team composed by hand. (1969)

(Future generations will have to be told that the stack is printed paper.)
Much prefer my Nazis Nuremberged.
Jaymann

Post by Jaymann »

Moliere wrote: Thu Mar 21, 2019 7:33 pm Not a single person younger than 30? :think:
Never trust anyone under 30!
Jaymann
]==(:::::::::::::>
Black Lives Matter
em2nought

Post by em2nought »

Holman wrote: Thu Mar 21, 2019 9:25 pm (Future generations will have to be told that the stack is printed paper.)
I seriously doubt that, seems like the computer has been responsible for humans using WAY more paper not less to me. :think: It's more likely that future generations won't be able to read what's on the paper. LOL
Stop funding for NPR
Jeff V

Post by Jeff V »

Moliere wrote: Thu Mar 21, 2019 7:33 pm Not a single person younger than 30? :think:
We shut down the recruitment center more than a decade ago when it was determined every new member in 2007 was a spambot.
Black Lives Matter
Lassr

Post by Lassr »

Unagi wrote: Thu Mar 21, 2019 7:35 pm
Lassr wrote: Thu Mar 21, 2019 7:30 pm

:D , not sure why I felt like making a Blade Runner reference there... but I appreciate you playing along.
:doh:
I knew that seemed familiar.

Black Lives Matter
wonderpug

Post by wonderpug »

Jeff V wrote: Fri Mar 22, 2019 9:33 am
We shut down the recruitment center more than a decade ago when it was determined every new member in 2007 was a spambot.
Just be patient, those of us who have started creating and growing new members need a bit more time.
coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

I will have one old enough for an account in two months, but he has been well trained to avoid putting stuff on the internet. He gets mad when his mom puts his picture or any info about him on facebook.
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
wonderpug

Post by wonderpug »

coopasonic wrote: Fri Mar 22, 2019 10:34 am I will have one old enough for an account in two months, but he has been well trained to avoid putting stuff on the internet. He gets mad when his mom puts his picture or any info about him on facebook.
I sometimes wonder what Bill Harris's kid thinks of having his first 18 years of life (and counting) well documented on the internet.
Vorret

Post by Vorret »

I managed to slip between the cracks !
Isgrimnur wrote:
His name makes me think of a small, burrowing rodent anyway.
Jeff V

Post by Jeff V »

wonderpug wrote: Fri Mar 22, 2019 10:32 am Just be patient, those of us who have started creating and growing new members need a bit more time.
My oldest is 5. Not sure he's ever going to care what those of us in the virtual old folk's home have to say. :character-oldtimer:
Black Lives Matter
Archinerd

Post by Archinerd »

Didn't you guys get the PM from Fishpants? He said he was in the process of porting OO onto Whatsapp? in order to reach a younger demographic and it should be going "live" this Spring.
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

You said PM instead of DM. That's why themthar Dammed Mellenials won't play with us and point and laugh.
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

The few who persist have to serve time at Octopus Underlings.
Rumpy

Post by Rumpy »

I'm surprised how skewed it is toward one bracket in particular. I thought the one I'm in would be far more prolific. But then, I was born the year Elvis died, so maybe I shouldn't be surprised :D
PC:
Ryzen 5 3600
32GB RAM
2x1TB NVMe Drives
GTX 1660 Ti
dbt1949

Post by dbt1949 »

Elvis died. I had just moved to New Orleans a few months earlier when that happened.
Ye Olde Farte
Double Ought Forty
aka dbt1949
Jeff V

Post by Jeff V »

Rumpy wrote: Fri Mar 22, 2019 2:15 pm I'm surprised how skewed it is toward one bracket in particular. I thought the one I'm in would be far more prolific. But then, I was born the year Elvis died, so maybe I shouldn't be surprised :D
How can that be? Elvis is not dead. Are you from the future?
Black Lives Matter
coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

Rumpy wrote: Fri Mar 22, 2019 2:15 pm I'm surprised how skewed it is toward one bracket in particular. I thought the one I'm in would be far more prolific. But then, I was born the year Elvis died, so maybe I shouldn't be surprised :D
Taking a stab, I'd say the 69-72 people were kids when Atari started us on the path and were recent college grads that could afford computers when Gone Gold and PC Gamer (which is how I found GoneGold on that brand new internet thing) were in their prime.

Edit to add: I didn't notice how much 73-76 had caught up since yesterday, they mostly fit in those categories as well, maybe leaning a bit more towards NES than Atari.
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

coopasonic wrote: Fri Mar 22, 2019 3:52 pm Taking a stab, I'd say the 69-72 people were kids when Atari started us on the path and were recent college grads that could afford computers when Gone Gold and PC Gamer (which is how I found GoneGold on that brand new internet thing) were in their prime.
Odyssey 2. Though my dad would buy an Atari 800 several years later, which was the true beginning for me and my siblings, grasping a use for BASIC and ATARI DOS 8. You nailed it on the recent college grads (and searching for Diablo II release information looking to spec out several machines for a home gaming LAN but wincing at the crazy price of putting a DVD in a player in each) and Gone Gold, though. Which is odd because it took me eight years to earn my four year degree.
stessier

Post by stessier »

coopasonic wrote: Fri Mar 22, 2019 3:52 pm
Taking a stab, I'd say the 69-72 people were kids when Atari started us on the path and were recent college grads that could afford computers when Gone Gold and PC Gamer (which is how I found GoneGold on that brand new internet thing) were in their prime.

Edit to add: I didn't notice how much 73-76 had caught up since yesterday, they mostly fit in those categories as well, maybe leaning a bit more towards NES than Atari.
I'm in the 73-76 and it was totally Atari (2600 to be exact). NES came way later than when we started playing games.
I require a reminder as to why raining arcane destruction is not an appropriate response to all of life's indignities. - Vaarsuvius
Global Steam Wishmaslist Tracking
Running____2014: 1300.55 miles____2015: 2036.13 miles____2016: 1012.75 miles____2017: 1105.82 miles____2018: 1318.91 miles__2019: 2000.00 miles
Rumpy

Post by Rumpy »

Yeah, and I'd consider myself in between all that. I'm very much an Atari kid. We had the original version and because something had stopped working at one point, I remember we had sent it in for repairs. We ended up getting a black plastic revision model back. By the time the NES came on the scene, I was visiting my grandparents and some of my cousins had come over with a unit and showed off Super Mario Brothers, and I knew right then that I had to have one. By the mid 80's to the early 90's, our PC would be an 8088 IBM Compatible and for a period of time, we used it with a green monochrome monitor.
PC:
Ryzen 5 3600
32GB RAM
2x1TB NVMe Drives
GTX 1660 Ti
Archinerd

Post by Archinerd »

Nobody I knew actually had an NES when it first came out. I didn't get a chance to play it until 1988 at my friend Mike's house. He also had a Tandy with a bunch of the D&D games on floppy and we also knew where his Dad stashed all of the Playboys. Mike was the kid who had all the cool stuff and the best snacks.
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

I had a few friends when NES came out but nothing interested me except eventually the release Nintendo Wrestling. The photogun was no better than it was in 70s. Mario didn't make bette for me,even if I was Donkey Kong and Mario Bros fan in the arcade.

However, Mike Tyson's Punchout did bring me around to playing with that stupid pad and Metroid did for the friend I had who played NES the most (and allowed me to play Punchout) Still, when it's all said and done, if I were to go back in time, Nintendo Wrestling would be all that would interest me.

A winner is me!

I think my parents eventually picked up an NES and my little sister loved Tetris on it. By then I was a PC guy.
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

One of my friends got the Pong home console in 1975. Pong was all it knew how to do, but we played a ridiculous number of hours on it.
Moat_Man

Post by Moat_Man »

Taking a stab, I'd say the 69-72 people were kids when Atari Intellivision started us on the path and were recent college grads that could afford computers when Gone Gold and PC Gamer (which is how I found GoneGold on that brand new internet thing) were in their prime.
FTFY
End of line
¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

LordMortis wrote: Fri Mar 22, 2019 4:00 pm Which is odd because it took me eight years to earn my four year degree.
It took me seven. One of those was a mandated year off. Nothing brings future plans into focus clearer than having to work with the general public.