Vudu

Everything else!

Moderators: Bakhtosh, EvilHomer3k

dbt1949

Vudu

Post by dbt1949 »

I just noticed this on an advertisement today. It said it was completely free. I have noticed some of you saying something about buying shows.
I'm a little confused.
What's the scoop?
Ye Olde Farte
Double Ought Forty
aka dbt1949
Isgrimnur

Re: Vudu

Post by Isgrimnur »

Think Steam for movies.
It's almost as if people are the problem.
Montag

Post by Montag »

There is free content, but their main revenue is rentai and purchase.
words
dbt1949

Post by dbt1949 »

I knew there had to be some gimmick.
Ye Olde Farte
Double Ought Forty
aka dbt1949
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

I use Vudu for almost all my movie storage. Their UHD is pretty damn good, plus they have sales all the time. I’ve been able to cheaply grow my video library to almost 250 movies and tv shows due to that, their inexpensive conversion offering for folks who want digital copies of discs they have (they even let you upgrade your old dvd’s to HD or UHD for a nominal extra charge), and plain old code redemptions for digital copies of discs that came with that option.

So for me, there’s no gimmick. :)
He won. Period.
Bakhtosh
Forum Moderator

Post by Bakhtosh »

It's my main library too. Linked to the studios that offer digital redemption. Don't own many purely digital titles, but it's growing.
“I prefer dangerous freedom over peaceful slavery.” -Thomas Jefferson
Finding Red Riding Hood well-armed, the wolf calls for more gun control.
Lassr

Post by Lassr »

It's my main video storage service also, it is owned by Walmart so I have confidence it will be around awhile. I've had zero issues with the service.
The only reason people get lost in thought is because it's unfamiliar territory.

Black Lives Matter
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Slashfilm
Vudu and MGM have teamed up to create original programming that will be available on the ad-supported Movies On Us section of Vudu. This won’t be your standard reboot, though. Instead, Mr. Mom will follow the Fuller House model in that it serves as a sequel and a reboot. In the show, the baby from the original movie – Megan – is now “an adult going back into the work force (like her mom in the original) while her husband takes over parenting duties,” per Deadline.
I'm in, if only because IMDB has Megan listed as being played by Andrea Anders. :wub:
It's almost as if people are the problem.
Defiant

Post by Defiant »

Of interest:

Walmart is reportedly looking to sell its Vudu streaming service

This makes me nervous. Hopefully, whoever buys it will continue the service as it is (or, if it's Amazon or Apple etc., they move people's accounts on to their services), but there's also the possibility that it goes bye bye. If so, while the overwhelming majority of my movies are also on other services (thanks to MA and UV), I'm worried I would lose a bunch of TV shows.
Lassr

Post by Lassr »

Defiant wrote: Thu Oct 31, 2019 5:20 pm Of interest:

Walmart is reportedly looking to sell its Vudu streaming service

This makes me nervous. Hopefully, whoever buys it will continue the service as it is (or, if it's Amazon or Apple etc., they move people's accounts on to their services), but there's also the possibility that it goes bye bye. If so, while the overwhelming majority of my movies are also on other services (thanks to MA and UV), I'm worried I would lose a bunch of TV shows.
Wow, kind of surprising. Makes my statement above seem silly now.
The only reason people get lost in thought is because it's unfamiliar territory.

Black Lives Matter
Defiant

Post by Defiant »

Vudu is being aquired by NBCUniversal’s Fandango. Which at least makes me worry much less. I do hope they keep Vudu's interface, though, as it does well with searching/filtering.

https://deadline.com/2020/04/nbcunivers ... 202912755/
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

I was bored and deep dived the Vudu catalog earlier this morning...and was rewarded with the discovery of the 1975 George Pal cheese classic Doc Savage: Man of Bronze for only a few bucks. Man, that’s bringing back some fond childhood memories.
He won. Period.