Fundraising for 2019/2020: 12 Month renewal is up Oct 21/2019. $1337.51 USD of roughly $1700 USD (CDN conversion) as of Sept 1/2019. Paypal Donation Link Here

MLB Season 2019

Everything else!

Moderators: Bakhtosh, EvilHomer3k

Post Reply
User avatar
Octavious
Posts: 16827
Joined: Fri Oct 15, 2004 2:50 pm

Re: MLB Season 2019

Post by Octavious » Sun Jun 30, 2019 9:49 pm

I wonder if the Mets will ever win another game. This is just ridiculous at how bad their bullpen is.

*Edit* Saw this morning that they actually won one. Woo. Break out the fireworks! :lol:
Capitalism tries for a delicate balance: It attempts to work things out so that everyone gets just enough stuff to keep them from getting violent and trying to take other people’s stuff.

User avatar
El Guapo
Posts: 32704
Joined: Sat Jul 09, 2005 4:01 pm
Location: Boston

Re: MLB Season 2019

Post by El Guapo » Mon Jul 01, 2019 1:29 pm

I am not a huge fan of the 2019 season thus far. Huge downgrade from 2018.

Though at least the Red Sox have upgraded from "abysmal" to "mediocre".

User avatar
Isgrimnur
Posts: 61518
Joined: Sun Oct 15, 2006 12:29 am
Location: Chookity pok
Contact:
Isgrimnur’s avatar
Snooze

Re: MLB Season 2019

Post by Isgrimnur » Mon Jul 01, 2019 2:01 pm

El Guapo wrote:
Mon Jul 01, 2019 1:29 pm
I am not a huge fan of the 2019 season thus far. Huge downgrade from 2018.

Though at least the Red Sox have upgraded from "abysmal" to "mediocre".
I'm so sorry that 4 games above .500 is unacceptable to you.

Signed,

Over half the majors.

User avatar
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator
Posts: 46510
Joined: Fri Oct 15, 2004 3:08 pm
Location: Urbs in Horto, where we only use the old smilies

Re: MLB Season 2019

Post by LawBeefaroni » Mon Jul 01, 2019 2:15 pm

Heck, the White Sox are 3-4 games below an I'm viewing that as Big Success.


And how 'bout that Giolito kid?

Trivia: his dad was (is?) an Executive Producer at Electronic Arts.
" Hey OP, listen to my advice alright." -Tha General
"No scientific discovery is named after its original discoverer." -Stigler's Law of Eponymy, discovered by Robert K. Merton

MYT

User avatar
El Guapo
Posts: 32704
Joined: Sat Jul 09, 2005 4:01 pm
Location: Boston

Re: MLB Season 2019

Post by El Guapo » Mon Jul 01, 2019 2:41 pm

Isgrimnur wrote:
Mon Jul 01, 2019 2:01 pm
El Guapo wrote:
Mon Jul 01, 2019 1:29 pm
I am not a huge fan of the 2019 season thus far. Huge downgrade from 2018.

Though at least the Red Sox have upgraded from "abysmal" to "mediocre".
I'm so sorry that 4 games above .500 is unacceptable to you.

Signed,

Over half the majors.
Hey, the people of Boston have expectations for their sports teams now.

Also I think ~ .500 would be pretty much the definition of 'mediocre'.

User avatar
LordMortis
Posts: 61049
Joined: Tue Oct 12, 2004 11:26 pm

Re: MLB Season 2019

Post by LordMortis » Mon Jul 01, 2019 2:53 pm

LawBeefaroni wrote:
Mon Jul 01, 2019 2:15 pm
Trivia: his dad was (is?) an Executive Producer at Electronic Arts.
Seeing EA is such a love hate/thing for me. I think are the second 3rd party publisher after activision that I readily recognized and the first I totally fell in love with but later came to dismiss. I was curious what the last EA game I bought was. It looks like it was a GG effect game. I bought Dark Age of Camelot, apparently in 2001 and joined the GG guild for as long as that lasted.

User avatar
Lorini
Posts: 6669
Joined: Wed Oct 13, 2004 8:52 am
Location: Santa Clarita, California
lorini.a’s avatar
Loading…

Re: MLB Season 2019

Post by Lorini » Mon Jul 01, 2019 3:13 pm

Red Sox fans, how’s Big Papi doing?
Steer into the drift.

User avatar
El Guapo
Posts: 32704
Joined: Sat Jul 09, 2005 4:01 pm
Location: Boston

Re: MLB Season 2019

Post by El Guapo » Mon Jul 01, 2019 3:24 pm

Lorini wrote:
Mon Jul 01, 2019 3:13 pm
Red Sox fans, how’s Big Papi doing?
Seems to be recovering fine - as far as I know he should make a full recovery.

FWIW the current account is that the police think that the assassin was trying to kill Ortiz's cousin, who was sitting next to him.

User avatar
pr0ner
Posts: 14365
Joined: Mon Dec 06, 2004 3:00 pm
Location: Northern Virginia, VA
Contact:

Re: MLB Season 2019

Post by pr0ner » Mon Jul 01, 2019 5:37 pm

Tyler Skaggs of the LA Angels suddenly passed away today.
Hodor.

User avatar
Jaymann
Posts: 8877
Joined: Mon Oct 25, 2004 7:13 pm
Location: California

Re: MLB Season 2019

Post by Jaymann » Mon Jul 01, 2019 6:48 pm

pr0ner wrote:
Mon Jul 01, 2019 5:37 pm
Tyler Skaggs of the LA Angels suddenly passed away today.
WTF?!? He was 27. No details yet.
Jaymann
]==(:::::::::::::>

User avatar
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator
Posts: 46510
Joined: Fri Oct 15, 2004 3:08 pm
Location: Urbs in Horto, where we only use the old smilies

Re: MLB Season 2019

Post by LawBeefaroni » Mon Jul 01, 2019 7:34 pm

Oof, that sucks.

Remember Darryl Kile?
" Hey OP, listen to my advice alright." -Tha General
"No scientific discovery is named after its original discoverer." -Stigler's Law of Eponymy, discovered by Robert K. Merton

MYT

User avatar
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator
Posts: 46510
Joined: Fri Oct 15, 2004 3:08 pm
Location: Urbs in Horto, where we only use the old smilies

Re: MLB Season 2019

Post by LawBeefaroni » Tue Jul 02, 2019 3:55 pm

In cursive on his right triceps were the words “City of Angels.” On his right biceps was an unmistakable “LA” logo.

Growing up, he had visions of wearing blue and pitching at Dodger Stadium. He once was a 17-year-old with a loopy curveball, who grew up with a radio soundtrack provided by K-EARTH 101.1 and Power 106 on the radio, as well as Vin Scully’s Dodger broadcasts. He blossomed as a prospect, a tall lefty with an old-school desire to pitch deep into games and the aptitude to adopt new-school methods. He felt snubbed when the Dodgers didn’t take him with the 36th overall pick in the 2009 MLB Draft.

Four picks later, he was an Angel. It was something he grew to love, particularly after getting traded to Arizona in 2010 and back to Anaheim three years later. After struggling through Tommy John surgery and then pitching through injury last year, he was optimistic. He had a date circled on his calendar, a start he planned to petition manager Brad Ausmus to make. He wanted to pitch at Dodger Stadium this month.
The Athletic. Paywall removed for this article.
" Hey OP, listen to my advice alright." -Tha General
"No scientific discovery is named after its original discoverer." -Stigler's Law of Eponymy, discovered by Robert K. Merton

MYT

User avatar
Lorini
Posts: 6669
Joined: Wed Oct 13, 2004 8:52 am
Location: Santa Clarita, California
lorini.a’s avatar
Loading…

Re: MLB Season 2019

Post by Lorini » Wed Jul 03, 2019 11:24 am

Four walkoffs in a row for the Dodgers. This last one really was a walk off!! Bottom of the ninth, down 4-3 two outs and the Dodgers walk five consecutive times to win the game. Caught a stream of the Dback's broadcast at the end and they weren't too happy. Holland is a former All Star and a good closer but something went wrong last night.
Steer into the drift.

User avatar
Lorini
Posts: 6669
Joined: Wed Oct 13, 2004 8:52 am
Location: Santa Clarita, California
lorini.a’s avatar
Loading…

Re: MLB Season 2019

Post by Lorini » Thu Jul 04, 2019 8:21 am

Steer into the drift.

User avatar
Lorini
Posts: 6669
Joined: Wed Oct 13, 2004 8:52 am
Location: Santa Clarita, California
lorini.a’s avatar
Loading…

Re: MLB Season 2019

Post by Lorini » Fri Jul 05, 2019 8:14 am

So when the Yankees get to 60 wins, watch ESPN say they were first to 60. I'm not even a Sox fan and ESPN's adulation of the Yankees is real.
Steer into the drift.

User avatar
Octavious
Posts: 16827
Joined: Fri Oct 15, 2004 2:50 pm

Re: MLB Season 2019

Post by Octavious » Mon Jul 08, 2019 11:16 pm

Very entertaining home run derby. Love the format they have now. Vlad got screwed by all the ties. He would have easily won if he didn’t get tired. Pete was an idiot and picked his cousin to pitch. Still pulled it out in the end though woo. At least Mets fans have something to root for.
Capitalism tries for a delicate balance: It attempts to work things out so that everyone gets just enough stuff to keep them from getting violent and trying to take other people’s stuff.

User avatar
pr0ner
Posts: 14365
Joined: Mon Dec 06, 2004 3:00 pm
Location: Northern Virginia, VA
Contact:

Re: MLB Season 2019

Post by pr0ner » Sat Jul 13, 2019 9:30 am

The Angels threw a combined no hitter in the game where they honored Tyler Skaggs. Seems appropriately poignant.
Hodor.

User avatar
Jaymann
Posts: 8877
Joined: Mon Oct 25, 2004 7:13 pm
Location: California

Re: MLB Season 2019

Post by Jaymann » Sat Jul 13, 2019 9:39 am

And they were all wearing Skaggs' jersey.
Last edited by Jaymann on Sat Jul 13, 2019 8:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Jaymann
]==(:::::::::::::>

User avatar
Lorini
Posts: 6669
Joined: Wed Oct 13, 2004 8:52 am
Location: Santa Clarita, California
lorini.a’s avatar
Loading…

Re: MLB Season 2019

Post by Lorini » Sat Jul 13, 2019 10:58 am

The first pro baseball game was played with a robot calling balls and strikes. Unfortunately the article I read is on theathletic.com which is behind a paywall so you'd need a sub to see it. The robot died temporarily in the middle of the game, but they had (and will have going forward) a human ump behind the plate to take over. Apparently there was a pitch that should have been called a ball but was called a strike, and framing didn't work as well as it does now (personally I hate framing, I compare it to flopping in the NBA which I also hate). Everyone involved except at least one fan was ok with the robot ump. The fan said it takes the arguing out of the game, but honestly I don't watch sports to (seriously) argue.
Steer into the drift.

User avatar
Lorini
Posts: 6669
Joined: Wed Oct 13, 2004 8:52 am
Location: Santa Clarita, California
lorini.a’s avatar
Loading…

Re: MLB Season 2019

Post by Lorini » Sun Jul 14, 2019 8:08 am

Now we're talkin'! Much better :D

What is wrong with Sale though? Do people think he’s hiding an injury?
Steer into the drift.

User avatar
Octavious
Posts: 16827
Joined: Fri Oct 15, 2004 2:50 pm

Re: MLB Season 2019

Post by Octavious » Thu Jul 18, 2019 12:54 pm

Alonso hit a 474 foot bomb yesterday. I don’t think I’ve seen a more impressive rookie for the Mets ever. Unless he goes on a tear I don’t see him catching Judges record but he’s freaking insane. He almost killed that lady in the 3rd deck.
Capitalism tries for a delicate balance: It attempts to work things out so that everyone gets just enough stuff to keep them from getting violent and trying to take other people’s stuff.

User avatar
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator
Posts: 46510
Joined: Fri Oct 15, 2004 3:08 pm
Location: Urbs in Horto, where we only use the old smilies

Re: MLB Season 2019

Post by LawBeefaroni » Thu Jul 18, 2019 2:18 pm

There was a steal of first base in MiLB earlier (this week or last week I think). First pro steal of first base ever, made possible by new experimental rules.



Billy Hamilton, rejoice!
" Hey OP, listen to my advice alright." -Tha General
"No scientific discovery is named after its original discoverer." -Stigler's Law of Eponymy, discovered by Robert K. Merton

MYT

User avatar
Jaymann
Posts: 8877
Joined: Mon Oct 25, 2004 7:13 pm
Location: California

Re: MLB Season 2019

Post by Jaymann » Thu Jul 18, 2019 3:14 pm

LawBeefaroni wrote:
Thu Jul 18, 2019 2:18 pm
There was a steal of first base in MiLB earlier (this week or last week I think). First pro steal of first base ever, made possible by new experimental rules.
Put simply, if there is a wild pitch or passed ball with no runners on base, the batter is allowed to just go for it. He can steal first!
Seems like (unless you are Albert Puhols slow) batters would go for it on virtually every wild pitch.
Jaymann
]==(:::::::::::::>

User avatar
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator
Posts: 46510
Joined: Fri Oct 15, 2004 3:08 pm
Location: Urbs in Horto, where we only use the old smilies

Re: MLB Season 2019

Post by LawBeefaroni » Thu Jul 18, 2019 3:25 pm

Time for NHL goalie style pads for catchers!
" Hey OP, listen to my advice alright." -Tha General
"No scientific discovery is named after its original discoverer." -Stigler's Law of Eponymy, discovered by Robert K. Merton

MYT

User avatar
Octavious
Posts: 16827
Joined: Fri Oct 15, 2004 2:50 pm

Re: MLB Season 2019

Post by Octavious » Thu Jul 18, 2019 3:32 pm

I don't get how that's a good rule at all. Hell I don't think in my entire lifetime heard someone suggest anything like that. Solving a problem that nobody ever asked to. :lol: I like how a manager already got tossed for arguing balls and strikes with the automated ump. :mrgreen:
Capitalism tries for a delicate balance: It attempts to work things out so that everyone gets just enough stuff to keep them from getting violent and trying to take other people’s stuff.

User avatar
ImLawBoy
Forum Admin
Posts: 11574
Joined: Tue Oct 12, 2004 9:49 pm
Location: Chicago, IL
Contact:

Re: MLB Season 2019

Post by ImLawBoy » Thu Jul 18, 2019 3:37 pm

The rule is stupid, but I don't think you'd always go on a wild pitch. Think about how rare it is for runners to reach on a dropped third strike, even if the ball gets well away from the catcher.
We had subs. It was crazy

User avatar
Jaymann
Posts: 8877
Joined: Mon Oct 25, 2004 7:13 pm
Location: California

Re: MLB Season 2019

Post by Jaymann » Thu Jul 18, 2019 3:41 pm

ImLawBoy wrote:
Thu Jul 18, 2019 3:37 pm
The rule is stupid, but I don't think you'd always go on a wild pitch. Think about how rare it is for runners to reach on a dropped third strike, even if the ball gets well away from the catcher.
It probably depends on the field dimensions and speed of the runner. Plus I wonder if you must slide into first.
Jaymann
]==(:::::::::::::>

User avatar
El Guapo
Posts: 32704
Joined: Sat Jul 09, 2005 4:01 pm
Location: Boston

Re: MLB Season 2019

Post by El Guapo » Thu Jul 18, 2019 3:47 pm

ImLawBoy wrote:
Thu Jul 18, 2019 3:37 pm
The rule is stupid, but I don't think you'd always go on a wild pitch. Think about how rare it is for runners to reach on a dropped third strike, even if the ball gets well away from the catcher.
They should abolish the "you can run to first on a dropped third strike" rule, which makes no goddamn sense. Letting them run on wild pitches / passed balls makes a little more sense, though I'm inclined to oppose that too.

User avatar
ImLawBoy
Forum Admin
Posts: 11574
Joined: Tue Oct 12, 2004 9:49 pm
Location: Chicago, IL
Contact:

Re: MLB Season 2019

Post by ImLawBoy » Thu Jul 18, 2019 3:58 pm

I think the theory behind the dropped third strike rule is that an out must be made with the ball in a glove. If you don't catch the third strike, you haven't completed the out so the batter is entitled to run. At that point to complete the play you need to retire the runner. I don't have a strong opinion on it either way, but there is some logic behind it (even if it's not 100% consistent - foul bunt with two strikes is an out comes to mind).
We had subs. It was crazy

User avatar
pr0ner
Posts: 14365
Joined: Mon Dec 06, 2004 3:00 pm
Location: Northern Virginia, VA
Contact:

Re: MLB Season 2019

Post by pr0ner » Thu Jul 18, 2019 4:41 pm

ImLawBoy wrote:
Thu Jul 18, 2019 3:58 pm
I think the theory behind the dropped third strike rule is that an out must be made with the ball in a glove. If you don't catch the third strike, you haven't completed the out so the batter is entitled to run. At that point to complete the play you need to retire the runner. I don't have a strong opinion on it either way, but there is some logic behind it (even if it's not 100% consistent - foul bunt with two strikes is an out comes to mind).
This is why catchers have tons of putouts in their fielding record.
Hodor.

User avatar
naednek
Posts: 9010
Joined: Tue Oct 19, 2004 9:23 pm
naednek’s avatar
Loading…

Re: MLB Season 2019

Post by naednek » Thu Jul 18, 2019 4:45 pm

This one is for you Lorini. I had a good chuckle!

Enlarge Image
hepcat - "I agree with Naednek"

User avatar
Lorini
Posts: 6669
Joined: Wed Oct 13, 2004 8:52 am
Location: Santa Clarita, California
lorini.a’s avatar
Loading…

Re: MLB Season 2019

Post by Lorini » Thu Jul 18, 2019 5:05 pm

Hey I see the Giants are moving up the ranks! Well! Maybe you'll keep Madbum after all :)

In other news, the bullpen shits the bed yet again. The YouTube game was cool, nice to be able to watch it on my phone.
Steer into the drift.

User avatar
El Guapo
Posts: 32704
Joined: Sat Jul 09, 2005 4:01 pm
Location: Boston

Re: MLB Season 2019

Post by El Guapo » Fri Jul 19, 2019 10:05 am

ImLawBoy wrote:
Thu Jul 18, 2019 3:58 pm
I think the theory behind the dropped third strike rule is that an out must be made with the ball in a glove. If you don't catch the third strike, you haven't completed the out so the batter is entitled to run. At that point to complete the play you need to retire the runner. I don't have a strong opinion on it either way, but there is some logic behind it (even if it's not 100% consistent - foul bunt with two strikes is an out comes to mind).
Yeah, and you can tag someone with just the ball, not a glove. Or if a runner passes the runner ahead of him, then they're both out, regardless of where the ball is. Or fan interference. It...doesn't make any sense at all. And for that matter it also bothers me that on the rare occasion when the runner makes it to first base on a dropped third strike, it still counts as a strikeout on the record even though the runner is not out.

User avatar
ImLawBoy
Forum Admin
Posts: 11574
Joined: Tue Oct 12, 2004 9:49 pm
Location: Chicago, IL
Contact:

Re: MLB Season 2019

Post by ImLawBoy » Fri Jul 19, 2019 10:12 am

El Guapo wrote:
Fri Jul 19, 2019 10:05 am
ImLawBoy wrote:
Thu Jul 18, 2019 3:58 pm
I think the theory behind the dropped third strike rule is that an out must be made with the ball in a glove. If you don't catch the third strike, you haven't completed the out so the batter is entitled to run. At that point to complete the play you need to retire the runner. I don't have a strong opinion on it either way, but there is some logic behind it (even if it's not 100% consistent - foul bunt with two strikes is an out comes to mind).
Yeah, and you can tag someone with just the ball, not a glove.
Ball in possession, whether in a glove or in hand. That's the least odd exception.
El Guapo wrote:And for that matter it also bothers me that on the rare occasion when the runner makes it to first base on a dropped third strike, it still counts as a strikeout on the record even though the runner is not out.
That's my favorite part of it! I'm still waiting for that elusive 5 strikeout inning!
We had subs. It was crazy

User avatar
El Guapo
Posts: 32704
Joined: Sat Jul 09, 2005 4:01 pm
Location: Boston

Re: MLB Season 2019

Post by El Guapo » Fri Jul 19, 2019 10:15 am

ImLawBoy wrote:
Fri Jul 19, 2019 10:12 am
El Guapo wrote:
Fri Jul 19, 2019 10:05 am
ImLawBoy wrote:
Thu Jul 18, 2019 3:58 pm
I think the theory behind the dropped third strike rule is that an out must be made with the ball in a glove. If you don't catch the third strike, you haven't completed the out so the batter is entitled to run. At that point to complete the play you need to retire the runner. I don't have a strong opinion on it either way, but there is some logic behind it (even if it's not 100% consistent - foul bunt with two strikes is an out comes to mind).
Yeah, and you can tag someone with just the ball, not a glove.
Ball in possession, whether in a glove or in hand. That's the least odd exception.
El Guapo wrote:And for that matter it also bothers me that on the rare occasion when the runner makes it to first base on a dropped third strike, it still counts as a strikeout on the record even though the runner is not out.
That's my favorite part of it! I'm still waiting for that elusive 5 strikeout inning!
Look. you said "must be made with the ball in a glove". These are all examples of outs where the ball was not in a glove. I agree that it's the least inconsistent, but it's still inconsistent.

And why stop at five strikeouts? Couldn't you have an infinite number of strikeouts, if you've got a great pitcher but an incredibly shitty catcher? Every hitter could repeatedly strikeout, have the ball dropped, and run to first base, while all the current runners advance. Go for a 100 strikeout inning.

And how can it be called a strikeout without an out? Shouldn't it be a strikein? Or a strikenotout?

User avatar
ImLawBoy
Forum Admin
Posts: 11574
Joined: Tue Oct 12, 2004 9:49 pm
Location: Chicago, IL
Contact:

Re: MLB Season 2019

Post by ImLawBoy » Fri Jul 19, 2019 10:18 am

El Guapo wrote:
Fri Jul 19, 2019 10:15 am
ImLawBoy wrote:
Fri Jul 19, 2019 10:12 am
El Guapo wrote:
Fri Jul 19, 2019 10:05 am
ImLawBoy wrote:
Thu Jul 18, 2019 3:58 pm
I think the theory behind the dropped third strike rule is that an out must be made with the ball in a glove. If you don't catch the third strike, you haven't completed the out so the batter is entitled to run. At that point to complete the play you need to retire the runner. I don't have a strong opinion on it either way, but there is some logic behind it (even if it's not 100% consistent - foul bunt with two strikes is an out comes to mind).
Yeah, and you can tag someone with just the ball, not a glove.
Ball in possession, whether in a glove or in hand. That's the least odd exception.
El Guapo wrote:And for that matter it also bothers me that on the rare occasion when the runner makes it to first base on a dropped third strike, it still counts as a strikeout on the record even though the runner is not out.
That's my favorite part of it! I'm still waiting for that elusive 5 strikeout inning!
Look. you said "must be made with the ball in a glove". These are all examples of outs where the ball was not in a glove. I agree that it's the least inconsistent, but it's still inconsistent.
Yes, and I corrected it my response to you. I should have originally said "must be made with the ball in your possession." Believe it or not, I don't always triple check my posts for absolute clarity before posting them. Purple monkey dishwasher.
We had subs. It was crazy

User avatar
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator
Posts: 46510
Joined: Fri Oct 15, 2004 3:08 pm
Location: Urbs in Horto, where we only use the old smilies

Re: MLB Season 2019

Post by LawBeefaroni » Fri Jul 19, 2019 10:20 am

El Guapo wrote:
Fri Jul 19, 2019 10:15 am


And why stop at five strikeouts? Couldn't you have an infinite number of strikeouts, if you've got a great pitcher but an incredibly shitty catcher? Every hitter could repeatedly strikeout, have the ball dropped, and run to first base, while all the current runners advance. Go for a 100 strikeout inning.

And how can it be called a strikeout without an out? Shouldn't it be a strikein? Or a strikenotout?
It can only happens with first base unoccupied OR if first base is occupied, 2 outs. So it's kind of limited. And if it's the 2 out scenario then the force applies as usual so with bases loaded it would be hard not to get an actual out.
" Hey OP, listen to my advice alright." -Tha General
"No scientific discovery is named after its original discoverer." -Stigler's Law of Eponymy, discovered by Robert K. Merton

MYT

User avatar
El Guapo
Posts: 32704
Joined: Sat Jul 09, 2005 4:01 pm
Location: Boston

Re: MLB Season 2019

Post by El Guapo » Fri Jul 19, 2019 10:26 am

ImLawBoy wrote:
Fri Jul 19, 2019 10:18 am
El Guapo wrote:
Fri Jul 19, 2019 10:15 am
ImLawBoy wrote:
Fri Jul 19, 2019 10:12 am
El Guapo wrote:
Fri Jul 19, 2019 10:05 am
ImLawBoy wrote:
Thu Jul 18, 2019 3:58 pm
I think the theory behind the dropped third strike rule is that an out must be made with the ball in a glove. If you don't catch the third strike, you haven't completed the out so the batter is entitled to run. At that point to complete the play you need to retire the runner. I don't have a strong opinion on it either way, but there is some logic behind it (even if it's not 100% consistent - foul bunt with two strikes is an out comes to mind).
Yeah, and you can tag someone with just the ball, not a glove.
Ball in possession, whether in a glove or in hand. That's the least odd exception.
El Guapo wrote:And for that matter it also bothers me that on the rare occasion when the runner makes it to first base on a dropped third strike, it still counts as a strikeout on the record even though the runner is not out.
That's my favorite part of it! I'm still waiting for that elusive 5 strikeout inning!
Look. you said "must be made with the ball in a glove". These are all examples of outs where the ball was not in a glove. I agree that it's the least inconsistent, but it's still inconsistent.
Yes, and I corrected it my response to you. I should have originally said "must be made with the ball in your possession." Believe it or not, I don't always triple check my posts for absolute clarity before posting them. Purple monkey dishwasher.
Anyway, the point is that you can have outs without the ball in the defensive team's possession (e.g., one runner passes another). And if that's the case, then that's not really a reason to have the dropped third strike rule.

User avatar
El Guapo
Posts: 32704
Joined: Sat Jul 09, 2005 4:01 pm
Location: Boston

Re: MLB Season 2019

Post by El Guapo » Fri Jul 19, 2019 10:28 am

LawBeefaroni wrote:
Fri Jul 19, 2019 10:20 am
El Guapo wrote:
Fri Jul 19, 2019 10:15 am


And why stop at five strikeouts? Couldn't you have an infinite number of strikeouts, if you've got a great pitcher but an incredibly shitty catcher? Every hitter could repeatedly strikeout, have the ball dropped, and run to first base, while all the current runners advance. Go for a 100 strikeout inning.

And how can it be called a strikeout without an out? Shouldn't it be a strikein? Or a strikenotout?
It can only happens with first base unoccupied OR if first base is occupied, 2 outs. So it's kind of limited. And if it's the 2 out scenario then the force applies as usual so with bases loaded it would be hard not to get an actual out.
Oh, ok. So it is limited to five strikeouts then.

So far the "you could get a five strikeout inning" seems to be the best argument for the rule.

User avatar
ImLawBoy
Forum Admin
Posts: 11574
Joined: Tue Oct 12, 2004 9:49 pm
Location: Chicago, IL
Contact:

Re: MLB Season 2019

Post by ImLawBoy » Fri Jul 19, 2019 10:31 am

El Guapo wrote:
Fri Jul 19, 2019 10:26 am
ImLawBoy wrote:
Fri Jul 19, 2019 10:18 am
El Guapo wrote:
Fri Jul 19, 2019 10:15 am
ImLawBoy wrote:
Fri Jul 19, 2019 10:12 am
El Guapo wrote:
Fri Jul 19, 2019 10:05 am
ImLawBoy wrote:
Thu Jul 18, 2019 3:58 pm
I think the theory behind the dropped third strike rule is that an out must be made with the ball in a glove. If you don't catch the third strike, you haven't completed the out so the batter is entitled to run. At that point to complete the play you need to retire the runner. I don't have a strong opinion on it either way, but there is some logic behind it (even if it's not 100% consistent - foul bunt with two strikes is an out comes to mind).
Yeah, and you can tag someone with just the ball, not a glove.
Ball in possession, whether in a glove or in hand. That's the least odd exception.
El Guapo wrote:And for that matter it also bothers me that on the rare occasion when the runner makes it to first base on a dropped third strike, it still counts as a strikeout on the record even though the runner is not out.
That's my favorite part of it! I'm still waiting for that elusive 5 strikeout inning!
Look. you said "must be made with the ball in a glove". These are all examples of outs where the ball was not in a glove. I agree that it's the least inconsistent, but it's still inconsistent.
Yes, and I corrected it my response to you. I should have originally said "must be made with the ball in your possession." Believe it or not, I don't always triple check my posts for absolute clarity before posting them. Purple monkey dishwasher.
Anyway, the point is that you can have outs without the ball in the defensive team's possession (e.g., one runner passes another). And if that's the case, then that's not really a reason to have the dropped third strike rule.
Rules are allowed to have exceptions. Kind of like a foul ball on strike two is not strike three, except for bunt attempts.
We had subs. It was crazy

Post Reply