MLB Post Season 2019

Everything else!

Moderators: Bakhtosh, EvilHomer3k

hentzau

Re: MLB Post Season 2019

Post by hentzau »

Welp. Any season we do better than the Cubs is a good season.
“We can never allow Murania to become desecrated by the presence of surface people. Our lives are serene, our minds are superior, our accomplishments greater. Gene Autry must be captured!!!” - Queen Tika, The Phantom Empire
Jaymann

Post by Jaymann »

Congrats to the Nats, especially glad to see Howie Kendrick do well. Now the Nats get a second all star break while Yanks/Astros will probably go 7.
Jaymann
]==(:::::::::::::>
Black Lives Matter
Lorini

Post by Lorini »

At least the Dodgers didn't lay down, and gave the Nats a run for their money, sheesh. Gratz Nats!
Black Lives Matter
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

Lorini wrote: Wed Oct 16, 2019 11:20 am At least the Dodgers didn't lay down, and gave the Nats a run for their money, sheesh. Gratz Nats!
Does it make the Dodgers loss more palatable in retrospect, to see the Nationals destroy the Cardinals? I feel like that usually helps (unless the loss was to a hated rival); I think it makes it more "well, at least we lost to a solid team".
Black Lives Matter.
Lorini

Post by Lorini »

El Guapo wrote: Wed Oct 16, 2019 11:26 am
Lorini wrote: Wed Oct 16, 2019 11:20 am At least the Dodgers didn't lay down, and gave the Nats a run for their money, sheesh. Gratz Nats!
Does it make the Dodgers loss more palatable in retrospect, to see the Nationals destroy the Cardinals? I feel like that usually helps (unless the loss was to a hated rival); I think it makes it more "well, at least we lost to a solid team".
Definitely. The main thing is that the Cards were supposed to be favored, and this and that, and yet they couldn't even win a game. Did they ever score a total of even five runs? We at least did something to make the game entertaining.
Black Lives Matter
Lorini

Post by Lorini »

Definitely. The main thing is that the Cards were supposed to be favored, and this and that, and yet they couldn't even win a game. Did they ever score a total of even five runs? We at least did something to make the game entertaining.
Black Lives Matter
pr0ner

Post by pr0ner »

Lorini wrote: Wed Oct 16, 2019 1:37 pm
ZiPS actually favored the Nationals before the series started.
Hodor.
Scuzz

Post by Scuzz »

It does seem like the Nats were the hot team coming into the playoffs and that they are continuing that. I do think they will lose to whoever wins in the AL, although I will be be rooting for the Nats at that time.
Black Lives Matter
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

Scuzz wrote: Wed Oct 16, 2019 4:09 pm
It does seem like the Nats were the hot team coming into the playoffs and that they are continuing that. I do think they will lose to whoever wins in the AL, although I will be be rooting for the Nats at that time.
The case for the Nats would be that the second half of the season is more representative of the team's true talent level (though ideally there would be some explanation as to why that might be the case).
Black Lives Matter.
Scuzz

Post by Scuzz »

Are we all agreed that while Soto appears to be a damn good hitter he is really scary in the outfield?
Black Lives Matter
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

Scuzz wrote: Wed Oct 16, 2019 4:57 pm Are we all agreed that while Soto appears to be a damn good hitter he is really scary in the outfield?
From what I can tell he's really good at the old "pick up the ball and then fall flat on your ass, then quickly get up and throw the ball wildly across the infield towards the first base dugout" move, at least.
Black Lives Matter.
Jaymann

Post by Jaymann »

Just how did the Yankees win all those games during the year?
Jaymann
Black Lives Matter
Combustible Lemur

Post by Combustible Lemur »

Aaaaaaltuuuuuuveeeee!

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

Is Scott home? thump thump thump Crash ......No.
McNutt

Post by McNutt »

Can you believe that! Incredible. :clap:
Baroquen

Post by Baroquen »

That was pretty crazy. My son's a big Astros fan, and I hate the Yankees, so it was pretty satisfying. Now I've actually got a team to root for in the WS.
Lorini

Post by Lorini »

I do as well :) Go Nats!!!!
Black Lives Matter
Octavious

Post by Octavious »

YAY!!!!!!!!!!! Have to root for the Nats in this one, but I certainly wouldn't be upset to see Houston win either.
Capitalism tries for a delicate balance: It attempts to work things out so that everyone gets just enough stuff to keep them from getting violent and trying to take other people’s stuff.

Shameless plug for my website: www.nettphoto.com
Jaymann

Post by Jaymann »

Verlander is becoming the new Kershaw.
Jaymann
Black Lives Matter
Exodor

Post by Exodor »

pr0ner wrote: Wed Oct 16, 2019 9:32 am
El Guapo wrote: Wed Oct 16, 2019 9:23 am
pr0ner wrote: Wed Oct 16, 2019 8:51 am Who has tickets for Games 3-5 of the World Series? This guy!
Wow! That's awesome - how much did that set you back??
Each ticket is $200 where I'll be sitting.
:shock:

I spent...well, I spent a LOT more than that on the secondary market for Game 2 of the 2015 World Series.

Have fun! There's nothing quite like a World Series game, although the crowd was much more intense at Game 3 of the 2014 ALDS - probably because it was the only the second home playoff game in KC in 29 years and it was a potential series-clincher. By Game 2 of the 2015 World Series playoff games were kind of old hat. :mrgreen:

That will probably be the last home playoff game in KC for another 29 years... :|

Have to root for the Nats in this one, but I certainly wouldn't be upset to see Houston win either.
I'm torn. I still have some lingering bad feelings towards the Astros after that 2015 ALDS. On the other hand I kind of want Greinke to get a ring. :think:
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

It's almost as if people are the problem.
Hrothgar

Post by Hrothgar »

SI did not write a neutral story on the comments. They implied that the organization supports beating women and enjoys taunting other women about it.

The Astros were offended by that characterization.

The exec apologized for using foul language and not being clear that he was trying to support a player who just gave up a game tying home run (and whom they will need in the WS).

Astros PR tried to put out the message that the organization's values are more reflected in their charitable efforts than the punishment of a player last year. Perhaps they failed at that.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

The SI article
More than an hour after José Altuve won the Astros the pennant, the party in the Houston clubhouse still raged. Rightfielder Josh Reddick was crushing vodka Red Bulls. Starter Gerrit Cole smoked a cigar. Shortstop Carlos Correa gazed lovingly at the American League championship trophy.

And in the center of the room, assistant general manager Brandon Taubman turned to a group of three female reporters, including one wearing a purple domestic-violence awareness bracelet, and yelled, half a dozen times, “Thank God we got Osuna! I’m so f------ glad we got Osuna!”

The outburst was offensive and frightening enough that another Houston staffer apologized.
Taubman's timing was odd.

Closer Roberto Osuna had allowed a two-run home run to tie the game in the top of the ninth. He had been, by Baseball Reference’s calculations and any intelligent observer’s assessment, the least valuable Astro that night. So why would Taubman choose that moment, to taunt that demographic?
This is the miscalculation that teams make over and over again. They acquire players with reprehensible pasts for less than market rate and concede that they will have to pay a price in public trust. But when the bill comes due, teams act like they, not the people their actions wounded, are the aggrieved party. How dare you keep reminding us of the past? Don’t you understand we have baseball games to play?

And that’s the irony of that interaction with Taubman. None of those women were talking to him. They weren’t even talking about Osuna. Taubman brought him up.
It's almost as if people are the problem.
Combustible Lemur

Post by Combustible Lemur »

Hrothgar wrote:SI did not write a neutral story on the comments. They implied that the organization supports beating women and enjoys taunting other women about it.

The exec apologized for using foul language and not being clear that he was trying to support a player who just gave up a game tying home run (and whom they will need in the WS).

Astros PR tried to put out the message that the organization's values are more reflected in their charitable efforts than the punishment of a player last year. Perhaps they failed at that.
Eh, I'm as Homer as they come for the Astros, Taubman sounds like a toxic douche in this. Domestic abusers have it coming, let alone the grossness of being lauded for their physical prowess.
Plus last time we were here Gurriel made us look stupid by doing ignorant shit.

As a teacher who is constantly paranoid and on guard with my public persona, I have no patience for millionaires who can't keep their mouth shut.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

Is Scott home? thump thump thump Crash ......No.
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

I don't know about the organization but Verlander is a very outspoken metoo ally and he has shown that he will turn toxic on those that have shown stripes of violent misogyny. He is probably not a guy you want to antagonize on your team when it comes to flaunting your disregard for man on woman domestic violence.

Spoiler:
Maybe Verlander isn't that important to the Astros? (Hint: I doubt it, and if the story is as portray, I don't doubt Taubman will be walking at the end of the season unless there is more going on.)
$iljanus
Forum Moderator

Post by $iljanus »

Yes! Nationals bats come alive in the 5th! And Soto is really fun to watch.
Black lives matter!

Wise words of warning from Smoove B: Oh, how you all laughed when I warned you about the semen. Well, who's laughing now?
Octavious

Post by Octavious »

Soto is a beast. Have been very impressed by him from what I saw this year. He's not even old enough to drink yet. :lol:
Capitalism tries for a delicate balance: It attempts to work things out so that everyone gets just enough stuff to keep them from getting violent and trying to take other people’s stuff.

$iljanus
Forum Moderator

Post by $iljanus »

Arrrrgh, son of a bitch. :x

Just keep the lead for Doolittle please! :pray:
Black lives matter!

Wise words of warning from Smoove B: Oh, how you all laughed when I warned you about the semen. Well, who's laughing now?
Jaymann

Post by Jaymann »

Astro meltdown in the seventh!
Jaymann
Black Lives Matter
pr0ner

Post by pr0ner »

Chances of seeing the World Series won in person, increasing!

Also, Yu Darvish is savage.

Hodor.
$iljanus
Forum Moderator

Post by $iljanus »

It was a perfect time for Kurt Suzuki to break his post season hitting slump with a home run! (Had a single beforehand but a home run was more exciting!)
Black lives matter!

Octavious

Post by Octavious »

Seems like the Nats got hot at just the right time. Going to be hard for Houston to come back from this hole they dug. I'll be perfectly happy seeing teh Nats win as long as they suck next year. 8-)

Hrothgar

Post by Hrothgar »

Ouch. This is starting to feel like Boston last year. The Nats deserved to win both games. Congratulations on besting both Houston Aces.
Scuzz

Post by Scuzz »

Hrothgar wrote: Tue Oct 22, 2019 5:10 pm SI did not write a neutral story on the comments. They implied that the organization supports beating women and enjoys taunting other women about it.

According to other reporters the Astros Asst. GM kept yelling in the direction of female reporters who weren't even talking to or about Osuna. The SI story was reported by several witnesses as an accurate story of what transpired. The Astros GM will probably get a fine by MLB and will never get another job besides the one he has.
Black Lives Matter
Hrothgar

Post by Hrothgar »

Scuzz wrote: Thu Oct 24, 2019 1:28 am
Hrothgar wrote: Tue Oct 22, 2019 5:10 pm SI did not write a neutral story on the comments. They implied that the organization supports beating women and enjoys taunting other women about it.

According to other reporters the Astros Asst. GM kept yelling in the direction of female reporters who weren't even talking to or about Osuna. The SI story was reported by several witnesses as an accurate story of what transpired. The Astros GM will probably get a fine by MLB and will never get another job besides the one he has.
Possibly. I guess what really bothers me is that we didn't need to try and build a circumstantial case for his intent. There were reporters right there. The could have decided this could be a story and gone and gotten it. They could have asked him what he meant and if he was supporting domestic violence. Give him some rope and see if he hangs himself.
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

Hrothgar wrote: Thu Oct 24, 2019 1:31 pm

Possibly. I guess what really bothers me is that we didn't need to try and build a circumstantial case for his intent. There were reporters right there. The could have decided this could be a story and gone and gotten it. They could have asked him what he meant and if he was supporting domestic violence. Give him some rope and see if he hangs himself.
They called the Astros and asked for comments, and the Astros declined. The Astros could have made Taubman available, or given some type of response pre-article, but they chose not to.
Black Lives Matter.
Hrothgar

Post by Hrothgar »

El Guapo wrote: Thu Oct 24, 2019 1:38 pm

They called the Astros and asked for comments, and the Astros declined. The Astros could have made Taubman available, or given some type of response pre-article, but they chose not to.
How is that nearly as good as asking him in the moment of his comments?
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

Hrothgar wrote: Thu Oct 24, 2019 1:40 pm

They weren't there to do that story until Taubman yelled at them, right? I think it was a pretty chaotic situation, and I imagine it would have taken them a few minutes to process what he had yelled and the implications of it, by which point I imagine Taubman would be elsewhere.

So I suppose asking him immediately would be ideal, but asking about it the next day or whatnot also seems fine, so that doesn't strike me as the most damning criticism.
Black Lives Matter.
Hrothgar

Post by Hrothgar »

El Guapo wrote: Thu Oct 24, 2019 1:51 pm

They weren't there to do that story until Taubman yelled at them, right? I think it was a pretty chaotic situation, and I imagine it would have taken them a few minutes to process what he had yelled and the implications of it, by which point I imagine Taubman would be elsewhere.

So I suppose asking him immediately would be ideal, but asking about it the next day or whatnot also seems fine, so that doesn't strike me as the most damning criticism.
Reporters report when news breaks out. He's been labeled as evil. Scuzz is right. There's no working with evil. I want a high standard of evidence before we attach that label to anyone. If he's evil, I want him out. If Osuna is evil, I want him out. I don't want evil associated with the Astros, or Houston or Texas or the United States.
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

Hrothgar wrote: Thu Oct 24, 2019 2:31 pm
El Guapo wrote: Thu Oct 24, 2019 1:51 pm

Reporters report when news breaks out. He's been labeled as evil. Scuzz is right. There's no working with evil. I want a high standard of evidence before we attach that label to anyone. If he's evil, I want him out. If Osuna is evil, I want him out. I don't want evil associated with the Astros, or Houston or Texas or the United States.
Where was he labeled "evil"?
Black Lives Matter.
Hrothgar

Post by Hrothgar »

And he's gone: