MLB Post Season 2019

Everything else!

Moderators: Bakhtosh, EvilHomer3k

Octavious

Re: MLB Post Season 2019

Post by Octavious »

Wow didn't think the Braves woukd get booted in the first round. I'd much rather the Nats win than them.
Capitalism tries for a delicate balance: It attempts to work things out so that everyone gets just enough stuff to keep them from getting violent and trying to take other people’s stuff.

Shameless plug for my website: www.nettphoto.com
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

Scuzz wrote: Thu Oct 10, 2019 1:53 am I just don't understand why teams use starters in roles they are not used to once it gets to the playoffs. Sure, sometimes it works, but more than than not i ends up in a mess. It also disturbs the rest of the bullpen.

Congrats to the Nats, and I hope they trounce the cardinals.
Yeah, I think sometimes there's this idea of "this is the playoffs, this is do-or-die, so I have to do something unusual or dramatic" without thinking through whether it actually makes sense. I think this was the same with pitching Verlander on short rest for the Astros in Game 4.
Black Lives Matter.
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

That said, it would be bonkers if Roberts got fired after back-to-back World Series runs and multiple 100+ win seasons. Yeah, his bullpen management could have been better in game 5, but pobody's nerfect, right?
Black Lives Matter.
Lorini

Post by Lorini »

Wonder if they'll trade Seager for someone who actually hits in the postseason. Whoops, sorry off to the off season thread for me!!

I hope all you all's teams win :).
Black Lives Matter
Lorini

Post by Lorini »

El Guapo wrote: Thu Oct 10, 2019 9:16 am That said, it would be bonkers if Roberts got fired after back-to-back World Series runs and multiple 100+ win seasons. Yeah, his bullpen management could have been better in game 5, but pobody's nerfect, right?
Maddon has won a WS, just sayin'.
Black Lives Matter
Lorini

Post by Lorini »

El Guapo wrote: Thu Oct 10, 2019 9:06 am
Scuzz wrote: Thu Oct 10, 2019 1:53 am I just don't understand why teams use starters in roles they are not used to once it gets to the playoffs. Sure, sometimes it works, but more than than not i ends up in a mess. It also disturbs the rest of the bullpen.

Yeah, I think sometimes there's this idea of "this is the playoffs, this is do-or-die, so I have to do something unusual or dramatic" without thinking through whether it actually makes sense. I think this was the same with pitching Verlander on short rest for the Astros in Game 4.
The Dodgers had a LOOGY just for getting Renton out. And left him on the bench. Kelly pitched like shit the last time he was in a game ("He was well rested!!!" No shit, he couldn't pitch his way out of a paper bag). They had very capable relievers in Baez, May and Stripling, left them on the bench because of a 'gut feeling'. I'm seeing questions in articles about whether or not Roberts will survive this, especially with Friedman's guy Maddon available.
Black Lives Matter
naednek

Post by naednek »

Scuzz wrote:I just don't understand why teams use starters in roles they are not used to once it gets to the playoffs. Sure, sometimes it works, but more than than not i ends up in a mess. It also disturbs the rest of the bullpen.

Tell that to MadBum Image

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

hepcat - "I agree with Naednek"
ImLawBoy
Forum Admin

Post by ImLawBoy »

Lorini wrote: Thu Oct 10, 2019 9:18 am
El Guapo wrote: Thu Oct 10, 2019 9:16 am That said, it would be bonkers if Roberts got fired after back-to-back World Series runs and multiple 100+ win seasons. Yeah, his bullpen management could have been better in game 5, but pobody's nerfect, right?
Maddon has won a WS, just sayin'.
Maddon's bullpen management almost cost the Cubs the WS that year, so don't count on him as a cure-all. Besides, I've heard he's all but a done deal to the Angels.

And now for something completely different . . . .

Why do the Dodgers turn every moment between pitches when the Dodgers are hitting into a dance party? Good lord that must be annoying when you're there in person. (insert abesimpsonyellingatcloud.jpg)
That's my purse! I don't know you!
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

Lorini wrote: Thu Oct 10, 2019 9:21 am
El Guapo wrote: Thu Oct 10, 2019 9:06 am

The Dodgers had a LOOGY just for getting Renton out. And left him on the bench. Kelly pitched like shit the last time he was in a game ("He was well rested!!!" No shit, he couldn't pitch his way out of a paper bag). They had very capable relievers in Baez, May and Stripling, left them on the bench because of a 'gut feeling'. I'm seeing questions in articles about whether or not Roberts will survive this, especially with Friedman's guy Maddon available.
Honestly, I still can't wrap by head around how Joe Kelly was a playoff hero for the Red Sox in 2018. He pitched like shit (with some moments here and there) during the season. Then him and the rest of the bullpen (minus Kimbrel) figured out how to pitch for October 2018.

Is there a pattern with Roberts being bad with bullpen deployment, or was this just a bad moment for him?
Black Lives Matter.
Pyperkub

Post by Pyperkub »

El Guapo wrote:

Actually, it is 100% on the GM and management philosophy. The Dodgers have skimped on the bullpen for years by design and because that is the most important position group in the playoffs it has killed them in the playoffs every single year.
Black Lives definitely Matter Lorini!

Also: There are three ways to not tell the truth: lies, damned lies, and statistics.
$iljanus
Forum Moderator

Post by $iljanus »

Scuzz wrote:I just don't understand why teams use starters in roles they are not used to once it gets to the playoffs. Sure, sometimes it works, but more than than not i ends up in a mess. It also disturbs the rest of the bullpen.

For the Nats unfortunately, they needed to do some crazy bullpen gymnastics because it can turn into a dumpster fire.
Black lives matter!

Wise words of warning from Smoove B: Oh, how you all laughed when I warned you about the semen. Well, who's laughing now?
Scuzz

Post by Scuzz »

Pyperkub wrote: Thu Oct 10, 2019 1:43 pm
El Guapo wrote:

Actually, it is 100% on the GM and management philosophy. The Dodgers have skimped on the bullpen for years by design and because that is the most important position group in the playoffs it has killed them in the playoffs every single year.
During a regular season you see bullpens develop into systems, where everybody has a pretty good idea exactly when they are going to be used. Sure pitchers will go hot and cold as well. But during the playoffs it seems like so much of that is thrown out because suddenly every game seems so important.

It also seemed like Roberts did less positional platooning this year. Fewer players were hit for in the 4th-6th innings just because of lefty-righty pitching changes. I liked that this year.

I am not a great Roberts fan, but it would seem a shame to ruin what seems to work during the regular season because you can't win the WS. I think in the Astros and Red Sox the Dodgers just ran into better teams having great years. Also, they are a pretty young team when you look at the total line up. They may have won 7 straight division titles but they have done it with a different offense from the one they started with.
Black Lives Matter
Scuzz

Post by Scuzz »

$iljanus wrote: Thu Oct 10, 2019 1:54 pm

For the Nats unfortunately, they needed to do some crazy bullpen gymnastics because it can turn into a dumpster fire.
Agreed. But I do wonder how that effects the psyche of the bullpen when you do need to go to it. A lack of trust has to manifest itself somewhere.
Black Lives Matter
Lorini

Post by Lorini »

Pyperkub wrote: Thu Oct 10, 2019 1:43 pm
El Guapo wrote:

I would disagree. The bullpen is fine now. We have reliable relievers to put in the game given the situation. Roberts just didn't use them. We have a reliable pitcher to get lefties out, we have long relievers, we have two relievers in the post season, Urias and Maeda who are good enough to be starters. That was not the problem at all, in my opinion. Had it been bad relievers (like the Nats have) then I think people wouldn't be so angry with Roberts but that just wasn't the case.
Black Lives Matter
Jaymann

Post by Jaymann »

Rays getting shelled by Astros in the first, still no outs. Yanks/Astros in the one of those bastards has to lose series.
Jaymann
]==(:::::::::::::>
Black Lives Matter
Dramatist

Post by Dramatist »

Rays made the series scary. Thanks Gerrit Cole.

I’m very glad the Astros won.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Now Playing
Marvel Puzzle Quest
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

I'm picking:

Astros over Yankees in 6
Nationals over Cardinals in 7
Black Lives Matter.
pr0ner

Post by pr0ner »

I wonder if Hunter Strickland gets dumped for Javy Guerra.

Also, does Austin Voth stick around? I don't believe he got into an NLDS game. But, I don't think Martinez can keep going to Corbin out of the pen in a 7-game series like he did against the Dodgers.
Hodor.
$iljanus
Forum Moderator

Post by $iljanus »

pr0ner wrote:

I wonder if Hunter Strickland gets dumped for Javy Guerra.

Also, does Austin Voth stick around? I don't believe he got into an NLDS game. But, I don't think Martinez can keep going to Corbin out of the pen in a 7-game series like he did against the Dodgers.
Yeah I think for a 7 game series they might have to turn to Voth sometime, at least for an inning. They can't keep throwing in a starter...or maybe they can? All arms on deck!

Edit: Really enjoying watching Sanchez pitch tonight. Thought he did a good job vs the Dodgers before the bullpen imploded.
Black lives matter!

Wise words of warning from Smoove B: Oh, how you all laughed when I warned you about the semen. Well, who's laughing now?
Jaymann

Post by Jaymann »

Go Nats! Baseball is so effing weird. The same team that exploded for 10 runs in one inning can only mange 1 in 24 innings.
Jaymann
Black Lives Matter
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

Great Astros - Yankees game. I was already getting ready to be so pissed when Sanchez was saved three times in the top of the 10th by having two pop-ups hit the girders in foul territory, and then avoiding strike three on a phantom foul tip call that wasn't even close. But fortunately he struck out (possibly on a sort of make-up call), and the Correa ended it in the bottom of the 10th.
Black Lives Matter.
Jaymann

Post by Jaymann »

I hope they play five more extra inning games until their pitcher's arms fall off and they have to have position players pitch in the world series.
Jaymann
Black Lives Matter
noxiousdog

Post by noxiousdog »

5 hour baseball games are my favorite.

Soon it will be like watching cricket.
Black Lives Matter

"To wield Grond, the mighty hammer of the Federal Government, is to be intoxicated with power beyond what you and I can reckon (though I figure we can ball park it pretty good with computers and maths). Need to tunnel through a mountain? Grond. Kill a mighty ogre? Grond. Hangnail? Grond. Spider? Grond (actually, that's a legit use, moreso than the rest)." - Peacedog
Lorini

Post by Lorini »

Jaymann wrote: Mon Oct 14, 2019 1:12 am I hope they play five more extra inning games until their pitcher's arms fall off and they have to have position players pitch in the world series.
This.
Black Lives Matter
ImLawBoy
Forum Admin

Post by ImLawBoy »

I am enjoying hate watching the NLCS.
That's my purse! I don't know you!
Octavious

Post by Octavious »

I'd be happy with a Nats/Astros series. Yanks/Cardinals series would make me want to stab myself.
Capitalism tries for a delicate balance: It attempts to work things out so that everyone gets just enough stuff to keep them from getting violent and trying to take other people’s stuff.

$iljanus
Forum Moderator

Post by $iljanus »

Man, everything came together tonight for the Nationals!
Black lives matter!

El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

Octavious wrote: Mon Oct 14, 2019 11:20 pm I'd be happy with a Nats/Astros series. Yanks/Cardinals series would make me want to stab myself.
Agreed. Nats / Yankees would also be pretty compelling and satisfactory, as long as the Yankees lost.

Also, one of the many benefits of the 2004 ALCS is that every time a team goes up 3-0 now, I get to hear the announcers discuss the Yankees collapsing against the Red Sox.
Black Lives Matter.
pr0ner

Post by pr0ner »

Hello from section 104 of Nats Park!
Hodor.
$iljanus
Forum Moderator

Post by $iljanus »

pr0ner wrote: Tue Oct 15, 2019 7:38 pm Hello from section 104 of Nats Park!
Hello back from my TV room! Nats hat and jersey on. Go Nats!

Damn, what a 1st inning! :dance:
Black lives matter!

Lorini

Post by Lorini »

What goes around comes around as we said back in the day.
Black Lives Matter
$iljanus
Forum Moderator

Post by $iljanus »

Oh man,World Series baby!!! :horse: :dance:

Pr0ner, you’re a lucky man!
Black lives matter!

pr0ner

Post by pr0ner »

Who has tickets for Games 3-5 of the World Series? This guy!
Hodor.
stessier

Post by stessier »

Congrats pr0ner!
I require a reminder as to why raining arcane destruction is not an appropriate response to all of life's indignities. - Vaarsuvius
Global Steam Wishmaslist Tracking
Running____2014: 1300.55 miles____2015: 2036.13 miles____2016: 1012.75 miles____2017: 1105.82 miles____2018: 1318.91 miles__2019: 2000.00 miles
pr0ner

Post by pr0ner »

I wish I were seeing the Cubs in person in the World Series.

This is definitely the next best thing.
Hodor.
$iljanus
Forum Moderator

Post by $iljanus »

pr0ner wrote:Who has tickets for Games 3-5 of the World Series? This guy!
That's awesome, pr0ner! I'll be cheering as loud as I can from up north.
Black lives matter!

Octavious

Post by Octavious »

Nice. Never even been to a playoff game. Not that I get many chances anyway. :)

El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

pr0ner wrote: Wed Oct 16, 2019 8:51 am Who has tickets for Games 3-5 of the World Series? This guy!
Wow! That's awesome - how much did that set you back??
Black Lives Matter.
pr0ner

Post by pr0ner »

El Guapo wrote: Wed Oct 16, 2019 9:23 am
pr0ner wrote: Wed Oct 16, 2019 8:51 am Who has tickets for Games 3-5 of the World Series? This guy!
Each ticket is $200 where I'll be sitting.
Hodor.
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

pr0ner wrote: Wed Oct 16, 2019 9:32 am
El Guapo wrote: Wed Oct 16, 2019 9:23 am
Each ticket is $200 where I'll be sitting.
That's great.

And godspeed in the World Series, especially if it's against the Yankees.
Black Lives Matter.