MLB Post Season 2019

Everything else!

Moderators: Bakhtosh, EvilHomer3k

LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Re: MLB Season 2019

Post by LawBeefaroni »

DYERSVILLE, Iowa (KCRG) - The White Sox and Yankees will stage the first-ever Major League game in the Hawkeye State at the Field of Dreams in Dyersville, according to the MLB website.
" Hey OP, listen to my advice alright." -Tha General
"No scientific discovery is named after its original discoverer." -Stigler's Law of Eponymy, discovered by Robert K. Merton

MYT
Moat_Man

Post by Moat_Man »

mmm Bo Bichette

Total career games played: 11
Hit streak: 11 games
Consecutive games with a double: 9 games
Oh yeah, that's an all time MLB record.
End of line
¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯
Octavious

Post by Octavious »

Mets signed Panik after he cleared waivers. With Cano out this makes sense and is super low risk. If he sucks they can just dump him too. Sometimes they just need a ch age of scenery. We shall see.
Capitalism tries for a delicate balance: It attempts to work things out so that everyone gets just enough stuff to keep them from getting violent and trying to take other people’s stuff.

Shameless plug for my website: www.nettphoto.com
naednek

Post by naednek »

Octavious wrote: Fri Aug 09, 2019 1:21 pm Mets signed Panik after he cleared waivers. With Cano out this makes sense and is super low risk. If he sucks they can just dump him too. Sometimes they just need a ch age of scenery. We shall see.
his hitting sucks, but he's great at D
hepcat - "I agree with Naednek"
Octavious

Post by Octavious »

naednek wrote: Fri Aug 09, 2019 1:44 pm
Octavious wrote: Fri Aug 09, 2019 1:21 pm Mets signed Panik after he cleared waivers. With Cano out this makes sense and is super low risk. If he sucks they can just dump him too. Sometimes they just need a ch age of scenery. We shall see.
his hitting sucks, but he's great at D
Must have an ugly wife then! :lol:
Capitalism tries for a delicate balance: It attempts to work things out so that everyone gets just enough stuff to keep them from getting violent and trying to take other people’s stuff.

Octavious

Post by Octavious »

That game was insane. Packed stadium and they come back in the 9th behind 3 runs! I was actually trying to get tickets. :(

$iljanus
Forum Moderator

Post by $iljanus »

Octavious wrote:That game was insane. Packed stadium and they come back in the 9th behind 3 runs! I was actually trying to get tickets. :(
Grrrrrrr....
Black lives matter!

Wise words of warning from Smoove B: Oh, how you all laughed when I warned you about the semen. Well, who's laughing now?
Lorini

Post by Lorini »

The annual Dodgers/Dbacks dustup was last night. The benches cleared after the game even. (Un?)fortunately we didn’t get the throw guys over the railing and beat the crap out of them like a few years but that’s probably coming when the Dodgers go to AZ :D
Black Lives Matter
Octavious

Post by Octavious »

Craziest run that I can ever remember. Looking for the sweep tomorrow, but I'll be happy with 2 out of 3.

$iljanus
Forum Moderator

Post by $iljanus »

It has been an exciting series even if the scores should have been flipped....
Black lives matter!

Wise words of warning from Smoove B: Oh, how you all laughed when I warned you about the semen. Well, who's laughing now?
Octavious

Post by Octavious »

Mets were super smart to run the 7 dollar ticket promo. That's why it's been so packed. Anything on the top deck was 7 bucks for the weekend.

Octavious

Post by Octavious »

The Diaz trade might go down in history as one of their worst. What a joke. Oh well 2 out of 3 is good.

ImLawBoy
Forum Admin

Post by ImLawBoy »

At this point I think it's important that, even though this is an MLB thread, we step back and consider the minor leagues. More specifically, we should think about former Major Leaguers who are on the comeback trail in the independent minors. Even more specifcally, we should think about Carlos Zambrano and the Chicago Dogs of the independent American Association!

My older son and I are going to a Cubs game in a couple of weeks, but I'm not going to pay $100+/ticket for the twins to goof around and eat snacks at Wrigley for 3 hours. Instead I got tickets 5 tickets to a Chicago Dogs game in suburban Rosemont (right by O'Hare - lots of planes in landing patterns over the right field wall) for under $100. Former long-time Cub Carlos Zambrano is trying to make a comeback (and is only 37 somehow) as a relief pitcher, but he took the mound as a starter yesterday.

Carlos still has some work to do, as he threw 85 pitches in his three innings of work, giving up 3 runs (2 earned) on 5 hits with 4 walks and 3 Ks. I don't know how accurate the radar gun was he was pretty consistently mid-80s, with a peak of 89 that I saw. The Dogs beat the infamous Fargo-Moorhead RedHawks by a final of 14-7 on the strength of a 10 run fourth inning. We couldn't stay until the end - with that much offense, it was a very long game.

It's a pretty standard minor league experience with lots of goofiness between innings, mascots, kid activities and the like.

Cool logo:

On a side note, just outside the ballpark was this place, where we went to dinner:

Do you remember hearing about this place when it was announced and thinking it was a bad idea? It was a bad idea. A very bad idea.
That's my purse! I don't know you!
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

ImLawBoy wrote: Mon Aug 12, 2019 12:00 pm Image

Do you remember hearing about this place when it was announced and thinking it was a bad idea? It was a bad idea. A very bad idea.
It's almost as if people are the problem.
ImLawBoy
Forum Admin

Post by ImLawBoy »

It's just a really low level attempt at a celebrity restaurant. The food was mediocre to bad (steak sandwich was sliced steak, and it wasn't sliced properly so it was quite chewy), the decor was uninspiring (minimal memorabilia, but quotes from Caddyshack), and for some reason they were playing bad '80s hair metal (Cherry Pie, 18 and Life, etc.).

TVs either had on sporting events or Bill Murray movies (Ghostbusters when we got there, Scrooged when we left).
Octavious

Post by Octavious »

Minor league games are super fun. I just haven't had time this summer to go to any. We have an Atlantic League team about 40 minutes from me and it's really a great deal. 2 dollars to park... Tickets are like 9 - 11 bucks a person and the stadium is really nice. The food is a bit pricey, but they have to make money somewhere right? The Atlantic League has tons of former ML players and regularly has players getting called back from MLB. So the talent level is pretty high. I really just wish I had time to go. I haven't done almost anything this summer and well it's over. :lol:

ImLawBoy
Forum Admin

Post by ImLawBoy »

It's been a while since I've been to a minor league game, but when Zambrano signed with these guys it gave them a burst of publicity. This is only their second year in existence, so I'm claiming that we're getting in on the ground floor on fandom and making it an annual thing. The food was pricier than I thought it would be ($12 for a beer???), but it's such a nice relaxed atmosphere and the kids had a blast.
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

ImLawBoy wrote: Mon Aug 12, 2019 3:58 pm The food was pricier than I thought it would be ($12 for a beer???),
I just drove by a party store yesterday that was selling single 16oz Bud products for $.79 and I spent the rest of my drive wondering how entertainment venues universally sell 24oz Bud and Miller products for $9 for which I must also tip the person who had to turn around grab a beer and put money is register and this is price I pay after paying so much for the ticket to get in.

I guess at least I don't pay Chicago prices for beer.

Also I hear every night is a hoot of a gimmick night at a Mud Hens game. I've never been but I probably would go if I was wanting to take a family of five to a ball game.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Captive audience, same as movie theaters. People have this conception that drinking is part and parcel of an event. And the market is willing to provide that opportunity at those willing to pay the price, and plenty are.
Jeff V

Post by Jeff V »

My company has (or had...don't recall seeing emails about it this year) an annual thing at he Kane County Cougars. I was never much motivated to attend, weeknights are never a good time, and a game played by semi-skilled players who I don't know holds little interest to me. The only time I indulged in bad baseball was attending a few spring training games in Arizona about 10 years ago, the best I can say about that was the craft beer stand was fairly cheap (average about $4 per IIRC).
Black Lives Matter
Unagi

Post by Unagi »

OMG -- I hope some of you are watching the White Sox game with Bill Walton in the broadcast booth.

On right now.

He's tripping or something -- it's So hilarious. OMG.

"What's the record for strike-outs in an inning?"

this is history being made here.
Baroquen

Post by Baroquen »

Unagi wrote: Fri Aug 16, 2019 11:54 pm OMG -- I hope some of you are watching the White Sox game with Bill Walton in the broadcast booth.
It was pretty funny. Link to highlights.

"Carnivorous plants... my favorite." WTH?
Octavious

Post by Octavious »

Mets have pretty much come crashing back to earth. Dropped two of three to the Braves and dropped a game to the Royals. Still very much in the wildcard run but they just have no depth left. We have a guy batting .089 starting yesterday. Ah the Mets.

Lorini

Post by Lorini »

Octavious wrote: Sun Aug 18, 2019 9:26 am Mets have pretty much come crashing back to earth. Dropped two of three to the Braves and dropped a game to the Royals. Still very much in the wildcard run but they just have no depth left. We have a guy batting .089 starting yesterday. Ah the Mets.
We just dropped two of three to the Braves as well. Damned bullpen.
Black Lives Matter
$iljanus
Forum Moderator

Post by $iljanus »

The mighty Dr Doolittle needs a break I think since the Brewers lit him up in the 9th causing the game to go to the 14th inning and a loss.
Black lives matter!

Octavious

Post by Octavious »

Lorini wrote: Sun Aug 18, 2019 5:44 pm
Octavious wrote: Sun Aug 18, 2019 9:26 am Mets have pretty much come crashing back to earth. Dropped two of three to the Braves and dropped a game to the Royals. Still very much in the wildcard run but they just have no depth left. We have a guy batting .089 starting yesterday. Ah the Mets.
We just dropped two of three to the Braves as well. Damned bullpen.
Mets took 2-3 from the Royals so not a disaster of a road trip by any means. They just don't have the depth to compete with the big boys. And Diaz has been the biggest bust I've ever seen. He has a minor league option available. They really should have sent him down to try and get his head straight.

Aaron Alther shouldn't be on any major league team and the Mets started him twice this weekend. He has a career .219 average and is hitting like .080 this season. Seriously ANYONE in the minors should be able to beat that. :lol:

naednek

Post by naednek »

Giants are making a run. Now 3.5 games behind in wildcard. Still lots of baseball left.
hepcat - "I agree with Naednek"
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Has Boston officially given up?
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

Isgrimnur wrote: Mon Aug 19, 2019 12:35 pm Has Boston officially given up?
Not quite, but 90% of the way there. They gave up on the division when they lost 7 in a row to the Yankees and Rays a couple weeks back. They're 6.5 back in the wild card right now, which is not impossible to come back from, but the odds of them passing the Indians, Rays, and Athletics are low.

They have enough talent that if the starting pitching gets their shit together they could make a last minute run, but it's super unlikely.
Black Lives Matter.
stessier

Post by stessier »

Isgrimnur wrote: Mon Aug 19, 2019 12:35 pm Has Boston officially given up?
From August 5th...
stessier wrote: Mon Aug 05, 2019 4:43 am It's nice that they decided to end the MLB season this year at the start of the NFL season.
I require a reminder as to why raining arcane destruction is not an appropriate response to all of life's indignities. - Vaarsuvius
Global Steam Wishmaslist Tracking
Running____2014: 1300.55 miles____2015: 2036.13 miles____2016: 1012.75 miles____2017: 1105.82 miles____2018: 1318.91 miles__2019: 2000.00 miles
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

I gotta say, as far as 'lost seasons' go that the Red Sox periodically have, this one is far from the worst. They're likely to finish with a winning record, in 3rd place in their division. Way better than the last place finishes that bookended the 2013 World Series title.
Black Lives Matter.
stessier

Post by stessier »

El Guapo wrote: Mon Aug 19, 2019 12:47 pm I gotta say, as far as 'lost seasons' go that the Red Sox periodically have, this one is far from the worst. They're likely to finish with a winning record, in 3rd place in their division. Way better than the last place finishes that bookended the 2013 World Series title.
Agreed. It's kind of crummy they wasted such an amazing season from Devers, though. He's been a monster all year.
I require a reminder as to why raining arcane destruction is not an appropriate response to all of life's indignities. - Vaarsuvius
Global Steam Wishmaslist Tracking
Running____2014: 1300.55 miles____2015: 2036.13 miles____2016: 1012.75 miles____2017: 1105.82 miles____2018: 1318.91 miles__2019: 2000.00 miles
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

El Guapo wrote: Mon Aug 19, 2019 12:47 pm I gotta say, as far as 'lost seasons' go that the Red Sox periodically have, this one is far from the worst. They're likely to finish with a winning record, in 3rd place in their division. Way better than the last place finishes that bookended the 2013 World Series title.
Dombrowski is wizard at trading prospects for players that are groomable now and will give you longevity but the magic comes at the cost of your farm system. You will eventually run out of bullets concurrent with a payroll that doesn't warrant the talent you've acquired. Enjoy what you can while you can. He gave us probably a good six years and then another four of desperately trying to keep the window of opportunity open. For your sake, I'd hope that was a directive from the Illitiches and not his own choosing.
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

LordMortis wrote: Mon Aug 19, 2019 1:14 pm
Dombrowski is wizard at trading prospects for players that are groomable now and will give you longevity but the magic comes at the cost of your farm system. You will eventually run out of bullets concurrent with a payroll that doesn't warrant the talent you've acquired. Enjoy what you can while you can. He gave us probably a good six years and then another four of desperately trying to keep the window of opportunity open. For your sake, I'd hope that was a directive from the Illitiches and not his own choosing.
That's always been my worry with Dombrowski. The Red Sox farm system is already pretty bad, at least going by the various farm system metrics that I've seen, so I'm not sure how much worse he can make it, but it seems unlikely that it's going to get better in the near future.
Black Lives Matter.
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

I was through with him when signed Cabrera to an 8 year extension with two years remaining on his contract after doing much the same for Verlander and V Martinez and then no Scherzer or Porcello and then Ausmus. In retrospect, I should have put more at the feet of ownership, whom I am sure took too much decision making out of his hands. It doesn't make Dombrowski blame free for the state of the Tigers, but it does make him the right GM for an ownership that was desperate for a World Series before the old man passed.

BTW has Ausmus poisoned the Angels well yet?
Jaymann

Post by Jaymann »

LordMortis wrote: Mon Aug 19, 2019 1:48 pm I was through with him when signed Cabrera to an 8 year extension with two years remaining on his contract after doing much the same for Verlander and V Martinez and then no Scherzer or Porcello and then Ausmus. In retrospect, I should have put more at the feet of ownership, whom I am sure took too much decision making out of his hands. It doesn't make Dombrowski blame free for the state of the Tigers, but it does make him the right GM for an ownership that was desperate for a World Series before the old man passed.

They are hovering below .500, but they lost Adrelton Simmons, Tommy La Stella, and 3 or 4 pitchers (including an unfortunate death) from a questionable staff, so it could be way worse. Some interesting rookies brought up, but Trout is wasted big time.
Jaymann
]==(:::::::::::::>
Black Lives Matter
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

Jaymann wrote: Mon Aug 19, 2019 2:42 pm
LordMortis wrote: Mon Aug 19, 2019 1:48 pm I was through with him when signed Cabrera to an 8 year extension with two years remaining on his contract after doing much the same for Verlander and V Martinez and then no Scherzer or Porcello and then Ausmus. In retrospect, I should have put more at the feet of ownership, whom I am sure took too much decision making out of his hands. It doesn't make Dombrowski blame free for the state of the Tigers, but it does make him the right GM for an ownership that was desperate for a World Series before the old man passed.

They are hovering below .500, but they lost Adrelton Simmons, Tommy La Stella, and 3 or 4 pitchers (including an unfortunate death) from a questionable staff, so it could be way worse. Some interesting rookies brought up, but Trout is wasted big time.
I feel bad that Trout didn't sign somewhere else. I can't blame him, but it feels bad never getting to see him in the playoffs. Though I guess I should just count my blessings that he didn't sign with the Yankees.
Black Lives Matter.
Lorini

Post by Lorini »

So what’s up with Sale Sox fans? Has he had this injury all season?
Black Lives Matter
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

Lorini wrote: Mon Aug 19, 2019 7:28 pm So what’s up with Sale Sox fans? Has he had this injury all season?
It's possible. He's had his moments this season, but has been super inconsistent (and more often on the bad side of inconsistent than the good side). In some ways "he's been injured all season" is the optimistic scenario, since the main alternative is probably "he's declining".
Black Lives Matter.
Octavious

Post by Octavious »

Well no matter how the Mets season ends at least they made the second half interesting. Took the first two from Cleveland which is huge. They have a really solid base of young players. They have a few hurt players about to come back at the right time so I think they will at least stay close until the end. Now if only Diaz could remember how to pitch. They avoid bringing him in now. :lol: