hepcat - "I agree with Naednek"
pr0ner

Re: MLB Season 2019

Post by pr0ner »

Hodor.
Exodor

Post by Exodor »

El Guapo wrote: Mon Aug 19, 2019 3:09 pm I feel bad that Trout didn't sign somewhere else. I can't blame him, but it feels bad never getting to see him in the playoffs.
He had three games in the 2014 Division Series!

(When the Royals swept them).

If he never makes it back to the playoffs I can say I was at his final playoff game. :mrgreen:

That's also the game Billy Butler stole second. :lol:
Last edited by Exodor on Thu Aug 22, 2019 5:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ImLawBoy
Forum Admin

Post by ImLawBoy »

Of course a wacky 12-11 game is followed by a 1-0 game. That only makes sense.

Nice sweep by the Cubs to get back into first place. If only the Cubs could figure out how to win on the road (44-19 Home, 25-39 Away).
That's my purse! I don't know you!
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

ImLawBoy wrote: Thu Aug 22, 2019 5:35 pm Of course a wacky 12-11 game is followed by a 1-0 game. That only makes sense.

Nice sweep by the Cubs to get back into first place. If only the Cubs could figure out how to win on the road (44-19 Home, 25-39 Away).
As long as they win home field advantage, who cares?
It's almost as if people are the problem.
ImLawBoy
Forum Admin

Post by ImLawBoy »

That would be great if they had a realistic shot at home field advantage.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Come on, there's 35 games to make up that 15 games behind the Dodgers. Where's your faith?
ImLawBoy
Forum Admin

Post by ImLawBoy »

I'm not even thinking about that. I'm just looking at catching the Braves (and then hoping that the WC beats the Dodgers).
Octavious

Post by Octavious »

Mets sweep the Indians! Wooo.
Capitalism tries for a delicate balance: It attempts to work things out so that everyone gets just enough stuff to keep them from getting violent and trying to take other people’s stuff.

Shameless plug for my website: www.nettphoto.com
Lorini

Post by Lorini »

Yet another walkoff. Obviously a ploy to make sure no one leaves during the game or turns the game off in the 7th inning :)
Black Lives Matter
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Royals on the block
Kansas City Royals owner David Glass is negotiating to sell the team to local businessman John Sherman for more than $1 billion, sources familiar with the discussions told ESPN.

The potential deal, which multiple sources believe will be finalized, would transfer ownership to a group led by Sherman, who is currently a minority owner of the Cleveland Indians. Sherman would divest himself of his share of the Indians to buy the Royals from Glass, who purchased the team in 2000 for $96 million.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Deadspin
Chace Numata, a catcher in the Detroit Tigers organization, died Monday from injuries he sustained in a skateboarding accident early Friday morning. He was 27 years old.

Numata, who split time this season between Double-A Erie and Triple-A Toledo, was riding his electric skateboard home in downtown Erie on Aug. 30 just after 2 a.m. when the skateboard stopped suddenly and Numata fell forward. “It appears he just fell on the skateboard and landed headfirst on the ground,” said Erie police Sgt. David Stucke, who viewed surveillance video of the accident. “It appears he was unconscious as soon as he fell. He was knocked out.”

A motorist saw Numata unconscious in the road and called 911. Police arrived to find Numata bleeding from the head, and he was taken to the hospital where he died Monday morning.
Lorini

Post by Lorini »

With the playoffs around the corner, I see the Cubs are scuffling. That's too bad, I like it when the Dodgers play the Cubs, always exciting.
Black Lives Matter
Octavious

Post by Octavious »

Edwin Diaz is the biggest bust in Mets history. Holy crap he sucks for us. 6 run lead in the 9th and they blow it. :lol:
Capitalism tries for a delicate balance: It attempts to work things out so that everyone gets just enough stuff to keep them from getting violent and trying to take other people’s stuff.

$iljanus
Forum Moderator

Post by $iljanus »

Octavious wrote: Tue Sep 03, 2019 10:28 pm Edwin Diaz is the biggest bust in Mets history. Holy crap he sucks for us. 6 run lead in the 9th and they blow it. :lol:
That was bonkers! A great time to be peaking. Go Nats! (But we made some boneheaded mistakes which gave me agita)
Black lives matter!

Wise words of warning from Smoove B: Oh, how you all laughed when I warned you about the semen. Well, who's laughing now?
Lorini

Post by Lorini »

nvm
Last edited by Lorini on Wed Sep 04, 2019 10:05 am, edited 1 time in total.
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

I'm starting to think that the Red Sox might not win the World Series this year.
Black Lives Matter.
Lorini

Post by Lorini »

El Guapo wrote: Wed Sep 04, 2019 10:05 am I'm starting to think that the Red Sox might not win the World Series this year.
Dunno if the Dodgers will 1) get there or 2) win if they do. Always something 'wrong'.
Black Lives Matter
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

Red Sox fire Dombrowski.

I gotta say I am pretty shocked and somewhat unhappy about this. Not that I didn't have my reservations about Dombrowski, but he's done fine overall with the Red Sox. And firing him now (the season after he oversaw a World Series title and a 108-win season) is bizarre. This season: (1) hasn't been *that* bad, even though the Red Sox are going to miss the playoffs; and (2) isn't his fault. This is pretty much the same roster as last year, with a couple additions...regression (and injuries) happen. If anything you *might* be able to place some blame on Cora, insofar as many people seem to think that how they handled the starting pitchers in Spring training (not giving them as much pitching time as previous years) contributed to the rotation's utter dumpster-fire performance in April (and their 2-8 start).

What's more, Red Sox ownership has shown that it has an absurdly low patience level for failure. They have: (1) pushed out Terry Francona, who won two world series titles with the Red Sox, including their first f'ing title in 86 years, and who has gone on to be a very successful manager in Cleveland as well; (2) fired John Farrell the year after he won a World Series title (more deserved than Francona, but still); (3) fired Dombrowski the year after he oversaw a World Series title. Isn't this going to impact their ability to compete for management talent in the future? They can't offer the "if you win a title here you'll be a legend" card anymore.
Black Lives Matter.
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

El Guapo wrote: Mon Sep 09, 2019 1:36 pm Isn't this going to impact their ability to compete for management talent in the future? They can't offer the "if you win a title here you'll be a legend" card anymore.
Not really. It will just cost them more in salary and perks.
" Hey OP, listen to my advice alright." -Tha General
"No scientific discovery is named after its original discoverer." -Stigler's Law of Eponymy, discovered by Robert K. Merton

MYT
Lorini

Post by Lorini »

Yeah I was really surprised by that firing, but at the end of the day, he still gets paid AFAIK, so prospective managers will just ask for a longer contract🙂
Black Lives Matter
Octavious

Post by Octavious »

Alonso is at 47 hrs. He's on pace to beat the rookie record of 52. And they will be playing in Cincinnati and Colorado. So I think he has a very solid chance of beating it now.

Lorini

Post by Lorini »

Many fans angry because the Dodgers had the nerve to actually celebrate their division title. But division titles are hard, ask all the other teams that don’t have one yet this year.
Black Lives Matter
Octavious

Post by Octavious »

Who the hell would be upset about that? I would be upset if they didn't celebrate.

Last edited by Octavious on Wed Sep 11, 2019 10:22 am, edited 1 time in total.

Octavious

Post by Octavious »

Yelich out for the season after shattering his kneecap with a foul ball. That's a real shame as he's one of the best players in the league. :(

Lorini

Post by Lorini »

Octavious wrote: Wed Sep 11, 2019 10:22 am Who the hell would be upset about that? I would be upset if they didn't celebrate.
They think the celebrating shouldn't happen until the Dodgers win the WS because to them nothing else matters. This seems stupid, every stop along the way took a lot of work.
Black Lives Matter
naednek

Post by naednek »

Octavious wrote: Wed Sep 11, 2019 10:22 am Who the hell would be upset about that? I would be upset if they didn't celebrate.
Because for 7 years straight the Dodgers have shown they can't finish. Dodger fans don't want to celebrate until they win the WS. Unfortunately, they are going to be upset again...
hepcat - "I agree with Naednek"
Lorini

Post by Lorini »

naednek wrote: Wed Sep 11, 2019 12:23 pm
Because for 7 years straight the Dodgers have shown they can't finish. Dodger fans don't want to celebrate until they win the WS. Unfortunately, they are going to be upset again...
NO WE'RE NOT. So there. Actually it's because the Lakers don't hang division flags although at this point I think the Lakers would have a parade with a 45 game win season so perhaps Dodger fans shouldn't take their cues from that team.
Black Lives Matter
Lorini

Post by Lorini »

Well the Mets got the good Kershaw, we'll see which Ryu shows up, he's been pretty bad lately.
Black Lives Matter
Lorini

Post by Lorini »

Maddon in/out Cubs fans?
Black Lives Matter
Lorini

Post by Lorini »

I thought the Mets bullpen was supposed to be terrible :roll:
Black Lives Matter
Octavious

Post by Octavious »

They are riding Lugo and Wilson hard. The only two good ones we have. Diaz hasn't hit the field in a week I think. Which is good. :)

Sadly I think the juiced ball this year has a ton to do with Diaz being horrible. If you look at his stats it's the home runs that are the problem. His Ks per nine is still insane. I highly doubt they use the same ball next year. The league already smashed the home run record.

Reports I've seen are the stitches are lower making it harder to throw breaking balls and making the ball go farther.

Octavious

Post by Octavious »

The Cubs just beating the living piss out of the Pirates this weekend. That has to be a record for runs scored in a series. :shock:

Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

SBNation, Jun 16, 2019
The San Diego Padres and Colorado Rockies gave us a throwback weekend at Coors Field, getting all their steps in and then some as they repeatedly rounded the bases in a four-day batting bacchanal in Denver.

Ninety-two runs crossed the plate in four games, with the Rockies posting three of their top six run totals this season and the Padres having two of their top four run-scoring contests. The 92 runs set a major league record for a four-game series, surpassing the 88 runs scored by the Phillies and Dodgers at the hitter-friendly Baker Bowl from May 16-18, 1929, per Elias Sports.
1950 Brooklyn Dodgers

That would be 78 runs in a 3-game series.
Octavious

Post by Octavious »

:lol: That's depressing and impressive at the same time. I don't think the Mets are going to catch the Cubs. At this point ;)

El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

Hmmm, if the Red Sox just moved to the National League, they'd only be two games out of a playoff spot.
Black Lives Matter.
Lorini

Post by Lorini »

El Guapo wrote: Sun Sep 15, 2019 9:21 pm Hmmm, if the Red Sox just moved to the National League, they'd only be two games out of a playoff spot.
Bad Idea, the last thing the NL needs is the Red Sox!!!! Their fans think the NL is junior varsity anyway.
Black Lives Matter
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

Lorini wrote: Sun Sep 15, 2019 10:03 pm
El Guapo wrote: Sun Sep 15, 2019 9:21 pm Hmmm, if the Red Sox just moved to the National League, they'd only be two games out of a playoff spot.
Bad Idea, the last thing the NL needs is the Red Sox!!!! Their fans think the NL is junior varsity anyway.
I mean, I feel like the fact that the Red Sox would only be two games out in the NL is somewhat confirmatory of that theory.
Black Lives Matter.
Scuzz

Post by Scuzz »

So Trout is out for the season with some kind of foot injury that will require surgery. Too bad. First Yelich and now Trout.
Black Lives Matter
Lorini

Post by Lorini »

El Guapo wrote: Sun Sep 15, 2019 10:57 pm
Lorini wrote: Sun Sep 15, 2019 10:03 pm
I mean, I feel like the fact that the Red Sox would only be two games out in the NL is somewhat confirmatory of that theory.
Naw the NL GM's are just stupider than the AL ones, and tank at the first hint of hard times.
Black Lives Matter