RIP Gene Wolfe, 1931-2019

Everything else!

Moderators: Bakhtosh, EvilHomer3k

Holman

RIP Gene Wolfe, 1931-2019

Post by Holman »

Easily among the greatest SF and Fantasy writers.

RIP
Much prefer my Nazis Nuremberged.
Jeff V

Re: RIP Gene Wolfe, 1931-2019

Post by Jeff V »

Awwww, I loved everything I've read of his. He was a rare author in the field who used big words and challenged the reader to use a dictionary once in a while.
Black Lives Matter
Fishbelly

Post by Fishbelly »

Well, damn. I'd heard he was in poor health, but still sad to hear of his passing. The Book of the New Sun remains one of the greatest reading experiences I've ever had.
Jaymon

Post by Jaymon »

Fulgin, a color which is blacker than black.
Bunnies like beer because its made from hops.
MonkeyFinger

Post by MonkeyFinger »

Fishbelly wrote: Mon Apr 15, 2019 6:20 pm Well, damn. I'd heard he was in poor health, but still sad to hear of his passing. The Book of the New Sun remains one of the greatest reading experiences I've ever had.
+1
-mf
Holman

Post by Holman »

I have a lovely story about an embarrassing story.

Years ago I helped manage an independent bookstore in Ann Arbor. The owner was president of the American Booksellers Association (the trade org for independents), and he was helping to organize their yearly convention. As he knew I was a huge Wolfe fan, he tapped me to moderate a panel where Wolfe and Fred Pohl would be discussing science fiction. I was delighted.

The panel was great. Wolfe and Pohl were old friends and had very good chemistry together. Everyone enjoyed it. When it was over, I screwed up my courage and asked Wolfe if I could take him and his wife to lunch.

Lunch was lovely. Wolfe is clearly comfortable with fans, and he was as enjoyable at the table as he was at the panel.

Then it happened. I knew it shouldn't happen, but I made it happen anyway.

While we were talking, my hand slipped down to the satchel on the floor at my side. For a long moment I tried to convince myself that this was fine (even though I knew it wasn't), won that debate (even though I didn't), and pulled out the manuscript I'd been carrying around for weeks. "Mr. Wolfe, is there any chance you'd be willing to take a look at something I wrote?"

His face fell. Immediately it was obvious that he got this kind of thing all the time. I'd taken a perfectly pleasant encounter and turned it into a Networking Opportunity, damn me.

Nevertheless, he took the manuscript. I knew right away that I'd done the wrong thing. I stammered an apology and I offered (too late) not to bother him. He was far too much a gentlemen to rescind his generosity, regardless of how clumsily I had forced it upon him.

We finished up and I professed my thanks and admiration for his work. I told him not to bother about the story and explained that I was easily star-struck. He understood.

I figured that would be the end of it.

A few weeks later, however, I received a page-and-a-half letter telling me that the story was not great (it wasn't) and offering very particular advice for improvement. It was clear that he had read it and taken time to give me something I needed. It included encouragement that I carry with me to this day.

RIP, Mr. Wolfe, and thank you.
Jeff V

Post by Jeff V »

Nice story! He must have otherwise really enjoyed the experience. With social media the way it is these days, I wonder how many celebs (particularly niche ones) would even interact with a fan like he did - there is too much opportunity for negative outcome if they choose not to comply with the wishes of their fans.
Black Lives Matter
Holman

Post by Holman »