[Paris] Notre Dame cathedral fire

Everything else!

Moderators: Bakhtosh, EvilHomer3k

Isgrimnur

Re: [Paris] Notre Dame cathedral fire

Post by Isgrimnur »

Funding
L'Oreal, the Bettencourt Meyers family and the Bettencourt Schueller Foundation have announced they will donate 200 million euros (£172.7m) towards the cathedral's restoration.

It comes after billionaire Bernard Arnault's family and his LVMH luxury goods group said they were donating 200 million euros to "show their solidarity at this time of national tragedy".
The donation brings the total amount raised to more than 600 million euros, after French billionaire Francois-Henri Pinault and major French oil and gas company Total both pledged 100 million towards the reconstruction.
Apple CEO Tim Cook also pledged to donate to help rebuild the cathedral, writing: "We are heartbroken for the French people and those around the world for whom Notre Dame is a symbol of hope.
It's almost as if people are the problem.
tjg_marantz

Post by tjg_marantz »

Apparently the organ and rose windows have survived. Damaged but seemingly not unfixable. That is awesome.
Home of the Akimbo AWPs
Holman

Post by Holman »

Interesting thread on French long-term planning for this kind of disaster.

I didn't know that the beams and the steeple were not the original wood, but were restored 160 years ago using oaks cut down at Versailles. Those trees' replacements will be used for this restoration--that's actually what they're for.
Much prefer my Nazis Nuremberged.
em2nought

Post by em2nought »

tjg_marantz wrote: Tue Apr 16, 2019 10:44 am Apparently the organ and rose windows have survived. Damaged but seemingly not unfixable. That is awesome.
Amazing since it looked like Dante's Inferno going on in there.
Stop funding for NPR
stessier

Post by stessier »

I require a reminder as to why raining arcane destruction is not an appropriate response to all of life's indignities. - Vaarsuvius
Global Steam Wishmaslist Tracking
Running____2014: 1300.55 miles____2015: 2036.13 miles____2016: 1012.75 miles____2017: 1105.82 miles____2018: 1318.91 miles__2019: 2000.00 miles
Enough

Post by Enough »

Wow, I really thought the windows and organ would be toast, great news. Now let's hope the building is structurally sound enough to keep standing for the repairs.
My blog (mostly photos): Fort Ephemera - My Flickr Photostream

“You only get one sunrise and one sunset a day, and you only get so many days on the planet. A good photographer does the math and doesn’t waste either.” ―Galen Rowell
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

Given that a lot of old stained glass was assembled with lead, yeah.
(˙pǝsɹǝʌǝɹ uǝǝq sɐɥ ʎʇıʌɐɹƃ ʃɐuosɹǝd ʎW)
Defiant

Post by Defiant »

The effort to rebuild Notre-Dame Cathedral could get help from an unlikely source: A video game
The cathedral was a centerpiece of the 2014 video game "Assassin's Creed Unity."
To re-create the cathedral virtually, a level artist at the game's studio spent years cataloging its structure "to make sure that each brick was as it should be."
While the effort to rebuild the iconic cathedral could benefit from the game designers' work, it's unclear whether their work will be referenced.
A Late Professor Digitally Scanned Notre Dame. Now His Work May Give the Cathedral New Life
Several years ago, the Vassar College professor used cutting-edge laser scanners to capture over a billion points of data that, when combined in suitable software, can be used to create a 3-D model of the cathedral.
Z-Corn

Post by Z-Corn »

All this charity money pouring in for the rebuild...I wonder how much the Catholic Church is going to kick in? They have lots of money. And it's their joint.
Unagi

Post by Unagi »

single richest entity on earth.
Paingod

Post by Paingod »

Z-Corn wrote: Wed Apr 17, 2019 8:54 am All this charity money pouring in for the rebuild...I wonder how much the Catholic Church is going to kick in? They have lots of money. And it's their joint.
Kind of like sending Bill Gates $20 through GoFundMe when you hear his PC crashed?
Black Lives Matter

2021-01-20: The first good night's sleep I had in 4 years.
stessier

Post by stessier »

It's not exactly like that. The way it is organized, expecting Rome to pay is closer to expecting the federal government to help Chicago rebuild City Hall.
I require a reminder as to why raining arcane destruction is not an appropriate response to all of life's indignities. - Vaarsuvius
Global Steam Wishmaslist Tracking
Running____2014: 1300.55 miles____2015: 2036.13 miles____2016: 1012.75 miles____2017: 1105.82 miles____2018: 1318.91 miles__2019: 2000.00 miles
em2nought

Post by em2nought »

How Notre Dame Could Be Rebuilt With The Help Of Assassin’s Creed: Unity
Oops, I see it's already posted in the video gaming forum. Go there for the link.
Last edited by em2nought on Wed Apr 17, 2019 2:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Stop funding for NPR
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Ownership
Under the 1905 law on the separation of Church and State, Notre-Dame de Paris is one of 70 churches in Paris built before that year which are owned by the French state. While the building itself is owned by the state, the Catholic Church is the designated beneficiary, having the exclusive right to use it for religious purposes in perpetuity. The archdiocese is responsible for paying the employees, for security, heating and cleaning, and for ensuring that the cathedral is open free to visitors. The archdiocese does not receive subsidies from the French state.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

WaPo
Prime Minister Édouard Philippe upended expectations with an announcement Wednesday afternoon that France would launch an international competition for proposals to replace the spire that collapsed into Monday’s inferno. He also raised the prospect of a 21st-century twist atop a 12th-century creation.

“This is obviously a huge challenge, a historic responsibility,” Philippe said, noting that the new design would have to be “adapted to technologies and challenges of our times.”

He questioned “whether we should re-create” the spire as it was or “as is often the case in the evolution of heritage, we should endow Notre Dame with a new spire.”
Macron on Tuesday night told the nation he wanted the work to be done within five years, a breakneck pace for a project of monumental scale that will involve hundreds, if not thousands, of craftsmen, carpenters, masons and others working inch by painstaking inch.

Some experts have estimated that the reconstruction work could take a decade or more.

But Macron told his fellow citizens that it should be done by 2024, when Paris is due to host the Summer Olympics, and that the restored cathedral will be “even more beautiful.”
:tjg:
Holman

Post by Holman »

Isgrimnur wrote: Wed Apr 17, 2019 2:50 pm Ownership
Under the 1905 law on the separation of Church and State, Notre-Dame de Paris is one of 70 churches in Paris built before that year which are owned by the French state. While the building itself is owned by the state, the Catholic Church is the designated beneficiary, having the exclusive right to use it for religious purposes in perpetuity. The archdiocese is responsible for paying the employees, for security, heating and cleaning, and for ensuring that the cathedral is open free to visitors. The archdiocese does not receive subsidies from the French state.
Was coming to post something similar.

Plus, if nothing else, Notre Dame is one of the world's most active tourist attractions. It's Paris (not Rome) that benefits from that.
Archinerd

Post by Archinerd »

Isgrimnur wrote: Wed Apr 17, 2019 4:42 pm WaPo
Prime Minister Édouard Philippe upended expectations with an announcement Wednesday afternoon that France would launch an international competition for proposals to replace the spire that collapsed into Monday’s inferno. He also raised the prospect of a 21st-century twist atop a 12th-century creation.

“This is obviously a huge challenge, a historic responsibility,” Philippe said, noting that the new design would have to be “adapted to technologies and challenges of our times.”

He questioned “whether we should re-create” the spire as it was or “as is often the case in the evolution of heritage, we should endow Notre Dame with a new spire.”
Macron on Tuesday night told the nation he wanted the work to be done within five years, a breakneck pace for a project of monumental scale that will involve hundreds, if not thousands, of craftsmen, carpenters, masons and others working inch by painstaking inch.

Some experts have estimated that the reconstruction work could take a decade or more.

But Macron told his fellow citizens that it should be done by 2024, when Paris is due to host the Summer Olympics, and that the restored cathedral will be “even more beautiful.”
:tjg:
Sounds like they might Reichstag it.
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

NJ man was arrested after trying to bring gasoline into St. Patrick's Cathedral[/url] in NYC:
The 37-year-old man, who has not been identified by police, parked his minivan near the church, walked inside carrying the pair of two gallon canisters at 7:55 p.m. and was stopped and questioned by church security before leaving the church, police said.

“It’s hard to say exactly what his intentions were, but I think the totality of circumstances of an individual walking into an iconic location like St. Patrick’s Cathedral carrying over four gallons of gasoline, two bottles of lighter fluid and lighters is something that we would have great concern over,” Miller said. “His story is not consistent.”
Maybe next year, maybe no go
Holman

Post by Holman »

Smoove_B wrote: Thu Apr 18, 2019 11:55 am NJ man was arrested after trying to bring gasoline into St. Patrick's Cathedral[/url] in NYC:
The 37-year-old man, who has not been identified by police, parked his minivan near the church, walked inside carrying the pair of two gallon canisters at 7:55 p.m. and was stopped and questioned by church security before leaving the church, police said.

“It’s hard to say exactly what his intentions were, but I think the totality of circumstances of an individual walking into an iconic location like St. Patrick’s Cathedral carrying over four gallons of gasoline, two bottles of lighter fluid and lighters is something that we would have great concern over,” Miller said. “His story is not consistent.”
That's creepy. I've been in there many times.
Defiant

Post by Defiant »

The bees that live on the roof of Notre-Dame Cathedral survived the fire that tore through the building on Monday, a beekeeper told CNN on Friday.
There were three hives on the roof, each housing about 60,000 bees.
The beekeeper, Nicolas Geant, told CNN the bees were spared because the hives were about 100 feet from the source of the fire.
https://www.thisisinsider.com/bees-livi ... ire-2019-4
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Beautiful and amazing work has been done and is ongoing......

--------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.
I guess Ray Butts has ate his last pancake.
http://steamcommunity.com/id/daehawk
"Has high IQ. Refuses to apply it"
Scuzz

Post by Scuzz »

PBS has done at least 2 shows about the reconstruction. On NOVA IIRC.
Black Lives Matter
jztemple2

Post by jztemple2 »

Scuzz wrote: Wed Apr 12, 2023 1:35 pm PBS has done at least 2 shows about the reconstruction. On NOVA IIRC.
Correct, I've seen them both and they are very good.
My father said that anything is interesting if you bother to read about it - Michael C. Harrold
em2nought

Post by em2nought »

Thanks for posting that video.
Stop funding for NPR