Something strange happened to my wife

Everything else!

Moderators: Bakhtosh, EvilHomer3k

Xmann

Something strange happened to my wife

Post by Xmann »

My wife and I both like to eat a protein bar from Larabar. Good taste and reasonably healthy. I eat about 1 a week but the wife has one for a snack daily.

She texts me to tell me she just bit down on a piece of glass that was in the bar she ate. Small but painful cut on her tongue and she's worried a crown might be messed up. She also has some jaw pain from the force of the bite.

So she does a quick Google to find this is nothing new with Larabar protein bars. Enough so that Google shows biting into plastic and glass in these bars are no uncommon.

My wife then decides to call Larabar to report her incident. HERE is where the strange part happens (or at least we find strange). The operator/cs agent asks my wife, "Make us an offer for what you think this is worth". My wife is shocked and says, "umm, this makes me uncomfortable, I just wanted to report what I found in my bar".

Does this sound crazy to anyone else? Are they paying people to not complain and report these type of things?
Last edited by Xmann on Fri Apr 19, 2019 4:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
gf.me/u/zhnmhs
malchior

Re: Something strange happened to my wife

Post by malchior »

Sounds like they are trying to buy off people to stave off a class action to me.
tjg_marantz

Post by tjg_marantz »

Lawyer up
Home of the Akimbo AWPs
Xmann

Post by Xmann »

malchior wrote:Sounds like they are trying to buy off people to stave off a class action to me.
That's my thoughts as well. Is this not an unusual practice?
gf.me/u/zhnmhs
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

She could've gotten a free candy bar!
malchior

Post by malchior »

Xmann wrote: Fri Apr 19, 2019 4:27 pm
malchior wrote:Sounds like they are trying to buy off people to stave off a class action to me.
That's my thoughts as well. Is this not an unusual practice?
I don't know if it is an unusual practice but it definitely seems like something I wouldn't decide on the spot either.
Xmann

Post by Xmann »

Kraken wrote:She could've gotten a free candy bar!
that's really all she wanted besides notifying them. they offered gift certificates and a refund.
gf.me/u/zhnmhs
Zarathud

Post by Zarathud »

Call a health inspector then a lawyer. The first to help others, the second to help yourself. If their first offer is to pay you, there is something rotten.
"If the facts don't fit the theory, change the facts." - Albert Einstein
"I don't stand by anything." - Trump
“Bad men need nothing more to compass their ends, than that good men should look on and do nothing.” - John Stuart Mill, Inaugural Address Delivered to the University of St Andrews, 2/1/1867
“It is the impractical things in this tumultuous hell-scape of a world that matter most. A book, a name, chicken soup. They help us remember that, even in our darkest hour, life is still to be savored.” - Poe, Altered Carbon
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

Zarathud wrote: Fri Apr 19, 2019 4:46 pm Call a health inspector then a lawyer. The first to help others, the second to help yourself. If their first offer is to pay you, there is something rotten.
For pre-packaged (manufactured) food, contact the FDA. Ideally you have the packaging (to identify lot number), receipt (where it was purchased) to assist them in following up.
Maybe next year, maybe no go
Holman

Post by Holman »

Xmann wrote: Fri Apr 19, 2019 4:07 pm My wife then decides to call Larabar to report her incident. HERE is where the strange part happens (or at least we find strange). The operator/cs agent asks my wife, "Make us an offer for what you think this is worth". My wife is shocked and says, "umm, this makes me uncomfortable, I just wanted to report what I found in my bar".
Best-case scenario is that the phone drone panicked and somehow thought they could make the problem go away with such a question.

It's almost impossible to believe that they would be trained to handle such complaints that way. If nothing else, underpaid phone operators would whistleblow.

But, yeah, raise the roof about this. The product hurt your wife and the company needs to make it right, potentially for other customers as well.
Much prefer my Nazis Nuremberged.
Rumpy

Post by Rumpy »

That definitely sounds strange, and their reaction would put me off buying any in the future.
PC:
Ryzen 5 3600
32GB RAM
2x1TB NVMe Drives
GTX 1660 Ti
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

Calling in a complaint and being given a response that suggests responsibility? Yeah, that's unusual.
(˙pǝsɹǝʌǝɹ uǝǝq sɐɥ ʎʇıʌɐɹƃ ʃɐuosɹǝd ʎW)
GreenGoo

Post by GreenGoo »

Blackhawk wrote: Fri Apr 19, 2019 7:39 pm Calling in a complaint and being given a response that suggests responsibility? Yeah, that's unusual.
That's not responsibility. That's culpability. Plus, liability.
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

I was being careful to avoid the word 'liabillity', as that one is arguable.
Unagi

Post by Unagi »

I believe they are synonymous
Unagi

Post by Unagi »

re·spon·si·bil·i·ty
/rəˌspänsəˈbilədē/
noun
the state or fact of having a duty to deal with something or of having control over someone.
synonyms: authority, control, power, leadership, management, influence; duty
"we train those staff who show an aptitude for managerial responsibility"

the state or fact of being accountable or to blame for something.
"the group has claimed responsibility for a string of murders"[/color]
synonyms: blame, fault, guilt, culpability, blameworthiness, liability
"the organization denied responsibility for the bomb attack at the airport"

the opportunity or ability to act independently and make decisions without authorization.
"we would expect individuals lower down the organization to take on more responsibility"
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

We're talking about lawyers here, where liability takes on a different implication and very precise definitions.
Unagi

Post by Unagi »

Sure, but a lawyer would also view their willingness to pay so quickly as an admission to liability. Being responsible, in this context (a company handling physical harm caused by their product), is identical to being liable, I would argue.
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

Kraken wrote: Fri Apr 19, 2019 4:30 pm She could've gotten a free candy bar!
Nah, she should've held out for TWO candy bars.
Black Lives Matter.
Jaymann

Post by Jaymann »

I wonder what they would have said to $1.6 million.
Jaymann
]==(:::::::::::::>
Black Lives Matter
Xmann

Post by Xmann »

Yes please
gf.me/u/zhnmhs
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

Realistically, the best response would have been "I'll get back to you after I consult my dentist." Not that I would have thought of it at the time, either.
Zitterbacke

Post by Zitterbacke »

Here in Germany they would have charged you for the extra glass bit.
Gaming? Nope, I'm into Bitwig.
Rumpy

Post by Rumpy »

In a related manner, I've recently seen different food items being recalled across Canada due to bits of metal in them. When something of this nature is found, a recall is normally required by Canadian law and agencies involved. I'd be surprised if there wasn't something similar in the U.S.
PC:
Ryzen 5 3600
32GB RAM
2x1TB NVMe Drives
GTX 1660 Ti
gameoverman

Post by gameoverman »

Xmann wrote: Fri Apr 19, 2019 4:07 pmMy wife then decides to call Larabar to report her incident. HERE is where the strange part happens (or at least we find strange). The operator/cs agent asks my wife, "Make us an offer for what you think this is worth". My wife is shocked and says, "umm, this makes me uncomfortable, I just wanted to report what I found in my bar".

Does this sound crazy to anyone else? Are they paying people to not complain and report these type of things?
My question would be what did your wife expect? If I'm the one calling because I bit down on a piece of glass, I'm calling for a reason. I'm not going to call just to say "I bit down on one of your bars and there was a piece of glass in it". Put yourself in their place:
Me - "One of your bars had a piece of glass in it, which I discovered upon biting into it."
Them - "Yeah, and...."

I'm impressed that they got right to the point. What do you want in compensation? You've seen Fight Club right? Which costs less, paying out hush money or fixing the problem? Whichever one is cheapest is what they'll do.
Scuzz

Post by Scuzz »

She should ask them to name a bar after her, but make sure it is the one without the glass or plastic.
Black Lives Matter
Jaymann

Post by Jaymann »

Introducing...The Complainer Bar! Now with 99.99% less glass.
Jaymann
]==(:::::::::::::>
Black Lives Matter
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

gameoverman wrote: Sat Apr 20, 2019 7:14 pm Which costs less, paying out hush money or fixing the problem? Whichever one is cheapest is what they'll do.
Then the correct answer is C: act concerned but admit to nothing, let them do most of the talking, ask for complicated confirmation that requires action on the part of the complainant, and generally talk in circles like a politician on steroids. Most of the time the person making the complaint won't bother to follow through. If they do and you think there is a risk of them actually taking serious action, you offer them something appealing but essentially worthless (IE - free product.) If they accept, case closed. Asking them how much money they want is starting with the worst case scenario.

Note: I used to do this for a living.
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

Blackhawk wrote: Sat Apr 20, 2019 8:31 pm Note: I used to do this for a living.
Extort compensation, or offer it?
Unagi

Post by Unagi »

Extorting the offer of compensation.
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

That's what I thought. My parents used to do that as a hobby, on a penny-ante scale. I kinda shamed them into stopping when I became a target of petty scams as a retail manager.
Unagi

Post by Unagi »

First off, I was answering for Blackhawk, off the cuff.

Second, I would consider 'Extorting the offer of compensation' (in that I tried to blend both the phrases you offered into just one), the company on the phone offering very sub-par compensation, but from your reply - I take it that you took the term to represent the consumer asking for compensation they didn't deserve.
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

Kraken wrote: Sat Apr 20, 2019 8:57 pm
Blackhawk wrote: Sat Apr 20, 2019 8:31 pm Note: I used to do this for a living.
Extort compensation, or offer it?
Neither. Deal with high liability issues involving the public in a manner that protected the company.
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

Unagi wrote: Sat Apr 20, 2019 9:30 pm First off, I was answering for Blackhawk, off the cuff.

Second, I would consider 'Extorting the offer of compensation' (in that I tried to blend both the phrases you offered into just one), the company on the phone offering very sub-par compensation, but from your reply - I take it that you took the term to represent the consumer asking for compensation they didn't deserve.
...or more than they deserve. My parents loved to tell stories about parlaying trivial wrongs into free meals and stuff -- stickin it to the man! I would roll my eyes and change the subject until I started working as the man they were stickin it to. IDK if they stopped doing it after I made them see it the man's way, but they at least stopped bragging about it.
Jaymon

Post by Jaymon »

That does sound suspicious, and the fact that you found multiple things about it on google probable means you are not alone.

What you do next is up to you.

ignore it, and stop using their products

or

get a lawyer.

after a lawyer there are two options

try to get them to fess up, recall all the suspect products and stop doing this craps.

or

try to get money for you own self

personally, some time ago I switched from Larabar to Luna bar, and I am very happy with the product.
Bunnies like beer because its made from hops.
Remus West

Post by Remus West »

I just started eating Larabars pretty regularly. Now I'm worried about them. Crap.
“As democracy is perfected, the office of president represents, more and more closely, the inner soul of the people. On some great and glorious day the plain folks of the land will reach their heart's desire at last and the White House will be adorned by a downright moron.” - H.L. Mencken
morlac

Post by morlac »

malchior wrote: Fri Apr 19, 2019 4:09 pm Sounds like they are trying to buy off people to stave off a glass action to me.
It took this long?
Jeff V

Post by Jeff V »

Remus West wrote: Mon Apr 22, 2019 11:17 am I just started eating Larabars pretty regularly. Now I'm worried about them. Crap.
I'm sure it's not all of them, just beware of the new flavors: Stained, Window Pane, and Beer Bottle.
Black Lives Matter
Lordnine

Post by Lordnine »

I have never eaten a Lars bar but I suddenly want to call their support line…
Remus West

Post by Remus West »

Jeff V wrote: Mon Apr 22, 2019 2:45 pm
Remus West wrote: Mon Apr 22, 2019 11:17 am I just started eating Larabars pretty regularly. Now I'm worried about them. Crap.
I'm sure it's not all of them, just beware of the new flavors: Stained, Window Pane, and Beer Bottle.
Damn it. Beer bottle is my favorite.
“As democracy is perfected, the office of president represents, more and more closely, the inner soul of the people. On some great and glorious day the plain folks of the land will reach their heart's desire at last and the White House will be adorned by a downright moron.” - H.L. Mencken