FDA clears for sale PM's tobacco-heating product

Everything else!

Moderators: Bakhtosh, EvilHomer3k

Isgrimnur

FDA clears for sale PM's tobacco-heating product

Post by Isgrimnur »

WaPo
The Food and Drug Administration, after an almost two-year review, cleared Philip Morris’ iQOS — a heat-not-burn tobacco device designed as an alternative to conventional cigarettes — for sale in the United States.

The product consists of a tube that gently heats up sticks of tobacco instead of burning them, making what’s inhaled less harmful. Philip Morris has made the device a critical part of its future growth. The device is already sold in dozens of other countries with varying success, but it has triggered debate among U.S. health experts over whether iQOS would help or hurt public health.

The FDA, in announcing the decision, said clearing the sale of the devices was “appropriate” for public health because “the products produce fewer or lower levels of some toxins than combustible cigarettes.” The agency also said it has placed stringent marketing restrictions on the products in an effort to prevent minors from using the device.

Health experts worry the device could attract minors and people who did not previously smoke, or that current smokers may adopt the device without giving up their smoking, exacerbating their health risks from tobacco rather than improving them.

FDA experts and outside experts pointed out that while the product is cleared for sale, it has not been officially “approved” by the FDA. That’s because all tobacco products are potentially harmful and addictive, and people who do not use tobacco products should continue not to, the agency said.
It's almost as if people are the problem.
Daehawk

Re: FDA clears for sale PM's tobacco-heating product

Post by Daehawk »

Health experts worry the device could attract minors and people who did not previously smoke, or that current smokers may adopt the device without giving up their smoking, exacerbating their health risks from tobacco rather than improving them.
Its a safer device. You cant control what crazy people do.
--------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.
I guess Ray Butts has ate his last pancake.
http://steamcommunity.com/id/daehawk
"Has high IQ. Refuses to apply it"
dbt1949

Post by dbt1949 »

What he said.
Ye Olde Farte
Double Ought Forty
aka dbt1949
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

Daehawk wrote: Tue Apr 30, 2019 2:51 pm
It's not the crazy people. It's the rational people who think it's a safe alternative to regular smoking.
" Hey OP, listen to my advice alright." -Tha General
"No scientific discovery is named after its original discoverer." -Stigler's Law of Eponymy, discovered by Robert K. Merton

MYT
naednek

Post by naednek »

when will we learn?
hepcat - "I agree with Naednek"
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

LawBeefaroni wrote: Tue Apr 30, 2019 4:37 pm
Daehawk wrote: Tue Apr 30, 2019 2:51 pm
It's not the crazy people. It's the rational people who think it's a safe alternative to regular smoking.
My crazy remark was directed at folk who take it up yet keep smoking too.
--------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.
I guess Ray Butts has ate his last pancake.
http://steamcommunity.com/id/daehawk
"Has high IQ. Refuses to apply it"