Meeting Etiquette

Everything else!

Moderators: Bakhtosh, EvilHomer3k

MHS

Meeting Etiquette

Post by MHS »

In the last 6 months to year, I've noticed this trend of my clients setting meetings without asking if I'm available. That seems so presumptuous and unprofessional and it just annoys the shit out of me. I assume that the people I work with are busy professionals, I would never just assume that they are available at my whim. It's especially annoying when I've already indicated my availability (which one would think would equally indicate lack of availability on days/times not listed) in a previous email and they ignored that and scheduled a meeting without verifying my ability to attend that meeting. I do project management and onsite training for 24 different states/territories across 5 different time zones and you seriously just assume you can schedule me for 2 hours without even asking?!? Ugh.

So, is this standard business practice now? I don't recall this being an issue in prior years.
Black Lives Matter. No human is illegal. Women's rights are human rights. Love is love. Science is real. Kindness is everything.
Isgrimnur

Re: Meeting Etiquette

Post by Isgrimnur »

If they feel that they can schedule you without etiquette, I would feel that I can decline with exactly as much thoughtfulness.
It's almost as if people are the problem.
MHS

Post by MHS »

Isgrimnur wrote: Fri May 03, 2019 11:55 am If they feel that they can schedule you without etiquette, I would feel that I can decline with exactly as much thoughtfulness.
It took everything I had not to go with the passive aggressive, "As you can see in my previous email, I am not available on the suggested day and time. Once again, here is my availability for the upcoming week..." Or even better, the just aggressive, "Look fuckwit, read the previous email and pick from the 3 suggested days. If I can find time for this stupid meeting between being in 3 different cities next week, I'm sure you can too." :tjg:
Black Lives Matter. No human is illegal. Women's rights are human rights. Love is love. Science is real. Kindness is everything.
morlac

Post by morlac »

MHS wrote: Fri May 03, 2019 11:52 am In the last 6 months to year, I've noticed this trend of my clients setting meetings without asking if I'm available. That seems so presumptuous and unprofessional and it just annoys the shit out of me. I assume that the people I work with are busy professionals, I would never just assume that they are available at my whim. It's especially annoying when I've already indicated my availability (which one would think would equally indicate lack of availability on days/times not listed) in a previous email and they ignored that and scheduled a meeting without verifying my ability to attend that meeting. I do project management and onsite training for 24 different states/territories across 5 different time zones and you seriously just assume you can schedule me for 2 hours without even asking?!? Ugh.

So, is this standard business practice now? I don't recall this being an issue in prior years.
LOL, I can so relate. I've noticed the bigger the Whale (ATT and NCR I am looking at you!) the more presumptuous they get. FFS this one clown at ATT will send out invites an hour before they start and then acts all surprised and hurt when only half the people join and he has to reschedule next week...an hour before.
morlac

Post by morlac »

MHS wrote: Fri May 03, 2019 11:59 am
Isgrimnur wrote: Fri May 03, 2019 11:55 am If they feel that they can schedule you without etiquette, I would feel that I can decline with exactly as much thoughtfulness.
It took everything I had not to go with the passive aggressive, "As you can see in my previous email, I am not available on the suggested day and time. Once again, here is my availability for the upcoming week..." Or even better, the just aggressive, "Look fuckwit, read the previous email and pick from the 3 suggested days. If I can find time for this stupid meeting between being in 3 different cities next week, I'm sure you can too." :tjg:
I like to just mark tentative with no reply. Keep them guessing!
noxiousdog

Post by noxiousdog »

We have 3rd party contractors who we provide email boxes for but they refuse to use our email system which prevents us from seeing each others' calendars. That's brilliant.

I have the same things happen that you do and I have no qualms with declining with a note that says, "I'm not available at that time."
Black Lives Matter

"To wield Grond, the mighty hammer of the Federal Government, is to be intoxicated with power beyond what you and I can reckon (though I figure we can ball park it pretty good with computers and maths). Need to tunnel through a mountain? Grond. Kill a mighty ogre? Grond. Hangnail? Grond. Spider? Grond (actually, that's a legit use, moreso than the rest)." - Peacedog
Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

morlac wrote: Fri May 03, 2019 11:59 am
MHS wrote: Fri May 03, 2019 11:52 am In the last 6 months to year, I've noticed this trend of my clients setting meetings without asking if I'm available. That seems so presumptuous and unprofessional and it just annoys the shit out of me. I assume that the people I work with are busy professionals, I would never just assume that they are available at my whim. It's especially annoying when I've already indicated my availability (which one would think would equally indicate lack of availability on days/times not listed) in a previous email and they ignored that and scheduled a meeting without verifying my ability to attend that meeting. I do project management and onsite training for 24 different states/territories across 5 different time zones and you seriously just assume you can schedule me for 2 hours without even asking?!? Ugh.

LOL, I can so relate. I've noticed the bigger the Whale (ATT and NCR I am looking at you!) the more presumptuous they get. FFS this one clown at ATT will send out invites an hour before they start and then acts all surprised and hurt when only half the people join and he has to reschedule next week...an hour before.
Every. Single. Day. Add in the "government bureaucrat" factor, and it has me tearing my hair out on a daily basis.

I especially like when they schedule an early morning meeting, and then don't even bother to show up. Had two 6am meetings this week - at the client's request - that they just completely flaked.
When darkness veils the world, four Warriors of Light shall come.
gilraen

Post by gilraen »

We have some clients who feel they are important enough to do this. They are not doing it to me as much as to their account managers (who have finally learned to just decline these meetings). I haven't had someone ask me about my availability and then outright ignore it, though.
MHS

Post by MHS »

It's especially irritating when it's for a demo of our software. I'm the one giving the demo, shouldn't you verify that the person you 100% can't have the meeting without is available?

I'm sick of people. :(
coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

MHS wrote: Fri May 03, 2019 12:33 pm I'm sick of people. :(
Congratulations on making it this far. You've outlasted many of us.
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
YellowKing

Post by YellowKing »

I am quick on the "Decline" trigger if I'm already booked. However, it's unusual for me to be in a situation where the meeting requester would be customer-level. So there's no real obligation on my part to make them happy.

It's a pretty rare occurrence all in all because 90% of my meetings are with internal staff and they all utilize the power of the scheduling assistant.
ImLawBoy
Forum Admin

Post by ImLawBoy »

MHS wrote: Fri May 03, 2019 11:59 am It took everything I had not to go with the passive aggressive, "As you can see in my previous email, I am not available on the suggested day and time. Once again, here is my availability for the upcoming week..."
I have absolutely given that response and will continue to do so (provided it's not my boss or something). But the lawyers are kind of expected to be assholes anyway, so I don't think it surprises anyone.
That's my purse! I don't know you!
pr0ner

Post by pr0ner »

ImLawBoy wrote: Fri May 03, 2019 12:37 pm
MHS wrote: Fri May 03, 2019 11:59 am It took everything I had not to go with the passive aggressive, "As you can see in my previous email, I am not available on the suggested day and time. Once again, here is my availability for the upcoming week..."
I have absolutely given that response and will continue to do so (provided it's not my boss or something). But the lawyers are kind of expected to be assholes anyway, so I don't think it surprises anyone.
You probably have "Esq" after your name in your signature line, too.
Hodor.
ImLawBoy
Forum Admin

Post by ImLawBoy »

pr0ner wrote: Fri May 03, 2019 12:46 pm
I'm not that bad. I don't have Esq or JD behind my name, and I didn't do that even before I took a lawyer position (it's pretty common for lawyers in non-lawyer jobs to put that in their signature just so that they can get the "respect" they think they deserve). Besides, most people are sending meeting notices from inside the company where they already have access to my Outlook calendar, so they deserve a little snippiness.

Next you'll accuse me of putting something in my user name to indicate I'm a lawyer. :oops:
That's my purse! I don't know you!
coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

ImLawBoy wrote: Fri May 03, 2019 12:55 pm Next you'll accuse me of putting something in my user name to indicate I'm a lawyer. :oops:
Or a gardener...
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
gameoverman

Post by gameoverman »

I don't think that's passive/aggressive. You are not attacking them, you aren't attempting to undermine them, you actually want to work with them. Not everyone has the same ideas of how things should be. It could be that they schedule the meetings because they assume that if there's a problem with that then you'll say something. So you can see how if you say nothing, they don't know they are irritating you. I would go with "I'm sorry you didn't receive my previous email because it listed the times I'm available". After that it's merely a matter of sticking to your boundaries, you're available when you're available and that's it. This is unless they have leverage over you and can schedule you whenever they like, in that case it's pointless to get upset over it since you can't do anything about it.
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

I always thought the Hee-Hoo rule applied to this: He who brings the refreshments determines the timing and importance of the meeting. Donuts and coffee? Optional. Deli platter and beer? Mandatory.
Unagi

Post by Unagi »

technically speaking, 'passive aggressive' would be you accepting the meeting, and then just not showing up. :ugeek:
em2nought

Post by em2nought »

My office hours are nailed on my door. It must be in some sort of ancient dialect that nobody around here is familiar with. :doh:
two months
McNutt

Post by McNutt »

I'm a project manager, so I schedule a shit ton of meetings. I ALWAYS ask the main attendee their availability before sending the request.
gameoverman

Post by gameoverman »

Unagi wrote: Fri May 03, 2019 1:46 pm technically speaking, 'passive aggressive' would be you accepting the meeting, and then just not showing up. :ugeek:
Accepting the time of the meeting and not showing up falls into the aggressive category. Showing up and not taking part, so that the meeting is a total waste of time, would be what I'd consider passive aggressive.

I think of it in football terms. A player who refuses to show up for training camp, even though he's under contract, is aggressive. A player who shows up but puts no effort into it is passive aggressive.
MHS

Post by MHS »

gameoverman wrote: Fri May 03, 2019 2:58 pm
Unagi wrote: Fri May 03, 2019 1:46 pm technically speaking, 'passive aggressive' would be you accepting the meeting, and then just not showing up. :ugeek:
Accepting the time of the meeting and not showing up falls into the aggressive category. Showing up and not taking part, so that the meeting is a total waste of time, would be what I'd consider passive aggressive.

I think of it in football terms. A player who refuses to show up for training camp, even though he's under contract, is aggressive. A player who shows up but puts no effort into it is passive aggressive.
There's never a possibility of me showing up and not taking part. Any meeting I'm a part of is because I'm the project manager for the meeting or because I'm giving a demo of the software.
hentzau

Post by hentzau »

This happens to me daily, but it isn't from outside clients, it's from within our own corporation, so people have access to my calendar, but then schedule meetings anyway whether I'm blocked or not.

And I get it, I have tremendous sympathy for people trying to schedule meetings against my calendar. But now that we're down another engineer, it's even worse for me (and them.) I'm going to have a talk with my team lead about refusing meetings, especially meetings that occur during my commute (which is very specifically blocked off.)
“We can never allow Murania to become desecrated by the presence of surface people. Our lives are serene, our minds are superior, our accomplishments greater. Gene Autry must be captured!!!” - Queen Tika, The Phantom Empire
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

If someone schedules without checking calendar (internal) or asking for times (external) then I just assume my attendence is optional and plan accordingly.
" Hey OP, listen to my advice alright." -Tha General
"No scientific discovery is named after its original discoverer." -Stigler's Law of Eponymy, discovered by Robert K. Merton

MYT
Jeff V

Post by Jeff V »

When I schedule meetings, I try to accommodate as many calendars as I can see. For internal people who choose to block this feature, they get no consideration. For external people, they can expect the date and time to have been vetted as well as possible at my end -- they are free to propose alternatives, which I would then check for availability at my end. It usually isn't too difficult to find common ground after one or two emails.

When I get meeting requests from any source, my decision tree is:

Do I have to attend?
Yes
No/decline

Can someone stand in for me?
Yes invite someone else and then decline
No - check my availability

Am I already busy?
Yes - decline
No

Does the schedule impinge upon my lunch time or before/after end of day?
Yes - decline
No

Is there any consequences for missing this meeting?
Yes - grudgingly accept, preferably with a "maybe"
No- decline

If I'm a load-bearing participant, I will request a reschedule if the decision tree otherwise calls for decline. Most meetings I'm involved with are internal, so there is no excuse to be invited to something that demands my presence when my calendar says I'm unavailable, and rarely does this occur. For meetings with external participants, it's the nature of the beast and I am quite tolerant. While it is quite rare to have to ask a scheduled, accepted meeting to reschedule, it does happen, not so often that it's any bother though.
Black Lives Matter
pr0ner

Post by pr0ner »

ImLawBoy wrote: Fri May 03, 2019 12:55 pm
pr0ner wrote: Fri May 03, 2019 12:46 pm
I'm not that bad. I don't have Esq or JD behind my name, and I didn't do that even before I took a lawyer position (it's pretty common for lawyers in non-lawyer jobs to put that in their signature just so that they can get the "respect" they think they deserve). Besides, most people are sending meeting notices from inside the company where they already have access to my Outlook calendar, so they deserve a little snippiness.

Next you'll accuse me of putting something in my user name to indicate I'm a lawyer. :oops:
Ha. Was just messing with you a little!

I will say from my own professional experience, attorneys who sign their name "Esq" tend to be real pains in the ass to work with.
Hodor.
naednek

Post by naednek »

My boss is incredibly hard to find, so the other day I found a free time slot on his calendar and scheduled a meeting. I showed up, he wasn't there. I camped out as two other people showed trying to meet with him without a meeting. I told them I'm first and I have a meeting on the calendar. 15 minutes of waiting in his office, I sent him a text, stating I'm here waiting :P He finally showed up right when my meeting was supposed to end. I only needed 5 minutes to talk. He gave me "the look" when he saw me there waiting.
hepcat - "I agree with Naednek"
em2nought

Post by em2nought »

naednek wrote: Fri May 03, 2019 5:17 pm My boss is incredibly hard to find, so the other day I found a free time slot on his calendar and scheduled a meeting. I showed up, he wasn't there. I camped out as two other people showed trying to meet with him without a meeting. I told them I'm first and I have a meeting on the calendar. 15 minutes of waiting in his office, I sent him a text, stating I'm here waiting :P He finally showed up right when my meeting was supposed to end. I only needed 5 minutes to talk. He gave me "the look" when he saw me there waiting.
Seems like an excellent opportunity to take a nap at his desk. :wink:
two months
Jolor

Post by Jolor »

Excellent thoughts on this, team. I'd like to set up a conference call for tomorrow at 0900 Eastern to discuss how we can embrace this as an organisation. For those on the west coast, you are welcome to join from home.

MHS - as you kicked this off, I'd like you to take the lead by documenting tomorrow's highlights and socialising across teams.

Best,
JFMF
So sayeth the wise Alaundo.
Jeff V

Post by Jeff V »

While on the subject of meetings, when I worked for a hospital I found I could avoid late Friday afternoon meetings merely by marking the time as unavailable. I used to be a sub in the golf league, and once found myself paired up with a former VP of Hospital Administration. This topic came up in the 4-some as we waited our turn on the final home. I mentioned what I did and this 60-something woman glared at me and said "I'd never put up with that shit. If I had ever caught you doing that I'd have fired your ass." I simply smiled and replied, "Well, Stacy, you know Friday afternoon meetings haven't even been an issue since you left."

Yes, she still talks to me whenever our path's cross.
Black Lives Matter
naednek

Post by naednek »

em2nought wrote: Fri May 03, 2019 5:29 pm
naednek wrote: Fri May 03, 2019 5:17 pm My boss is incredibly hard to find, so the other day I found a free time slot on his calendar and scheduled a meeting. I showed up, he wasn't there. I camped out as two other people showed trying to meet with him without a meeting. I told them I'm first and I have a meeting on the calendar. 15 minutes of waiting in his office, I sent him a text, stating I'm here waiting :P He finally showed up right when my meeting was supposed to end. I only needed 5 minutes to talk. He gave me "the look" when he saw me there waiting.
Seems like an excellent opportunity to take a nap at his desk. :wink:
well my reward\punishment is now I have to present my project to the managers meeting... GRRR
hepcat - "I agree with Naednek"
GreenGoo

Post by GreenGoo »

It takes a special kind of a executive to fire someone because they don't want meetings late Friday afternoon.

I mean, who *wants* meetings then? As Jeff points out, sociopaths, that's who.
Jaymann

Post by Jaymann »

We used to have a client named "Earl" who would always call us at 4:45 pm on Friday afternoon and start demanding outrageous BS. It was so regular that we called it the Friday night bed check.
Jaymann
]==(:::::::::::::>
Black Lives Matter
Unagi

Post by Unagi »

GreenGoo wrote: Sat May 04, 2019 8:08 pm It takes a special kind of a executive to fire someone because they don't want meetings late Friday afternoon.
While in spirit I entire support you and Jeff V here, I will just point out that her declared 'firing offence' was Jeff declaration that he would block off every single Friday afternoon. Which is kinda saying he is off on Friday afternoons - forever... which, as a Boss, I would find a little unacceptable in it's 'grab'.

BTW, I did the SAME THING as Jeff. And it wasn't at all like I had every Friday Afternoon 'off'. I just reserved it so that I wasn't 'on the hook' should my afternoon look pretty clear (clearly, IT is --NEVER-- 'off' on Friday afternoon).

I guess my only point being this-- while I agree that "it takes a special kinda...", I think that the scenario presented was including someone that wanted to show how tough they were, in reply to what Jeff V presented them...

I doubt anyone would have done any firing...

When I marked my Friday afternoon time as 'occupied' , I told my 'above' that I was entirely available, but generally trying to put a 'bow' on the week's issues - that I liked to keep that time for myself and not for meetings ... which was entirely true.
GreenGoo

Post by GreenGoo »

There's a big difference between "off" and unavailable for your bullshit meeting that could be scheduled literally any other time, all of which are more convenient and less intrusive to peoples' personal lives.

Presumably she was not serious, but suggesting she was will result in responding as if she was. I.e. she needs to be clear about her seriousness.
Hrdina

Post by Hrdina »

morlac wrote: Fri May 03, 2019 12:00 pm
I like to just mark tentative with no reply. Keep them guessing!
That's my default response to most meeting requests. It makes me very popular. :D
Conform or be cast out!
EvilHomer3k
Forum Moderator

Post by EvilHomer3k »

Friday afternoons (well, after 2;30) I have meetings for learning new skills. I only get to actually do it about a fourth of the time but i schedule it. Usually something else has come up and I have to deal with that. My calendar, however, is used as much for scheduling my own time as it is scheduling meetings. If I need to work on something I put it on the calendar. So it's not uncommon (actually it's more common) for me to have meetings that are only with myself and are totally movable. Where I used to work we made everyone's free/busy time viewable (by default) for everyone at the college. Here, it's off by default so we have people sending out scheduling doodles constantly. Annoys the crap out of me. Lets add another tool to do something that a tool we already have does better. No, no, no. Let's not.
That sound of the spoon scraping over the can ribbing as you corral the last ravioli or two is the signal that a great treat is coming. It's the washboard solo in God's own
bluegrass band of comfort food. - LawBeefaroni