[2020] NBC Streaming

Everything else!

Moderators: Bakhtosh, EvilHomer3k

Isgrimnur

[2020] NBC Streaming

Post by Isgrimnur »

CNBC
NBC doesn’t want you to cut the cord. Maybe this isn’t too surprising since its owner is the largest U.S. cable company. But it’s unusual because it directly contradicts the disruption narrative. Instead of submissively accepting that the pay-TV world is ending, NBC is taking a stand and fighting back.

The proof is in the details of NBC’s streaming service, coming in the spring of next year.

NBC’s ad-supported streaming service will be free to all customers that pay for traditional live television -- whether through Comcast or any other provider, including virtual pay-tv bundles like Google’s YouTube TV or AT&T’s DirecTV Now, assuming partnership deals are struck, according to people familiar with the matter.

For those that have cut the cord, it will probably be about $10, said the people, who asked not to be named because the discussions on price are still ongoing.

CNBC has also learned that the free version of service for pay-tv subscribers will include live linear channels, same-season episodes and past-season episodes. Customers will be able to watch NBC programming anywhere, on any device, independent of their cable provider’s footprint. NBC will have non-exclusive access to all of the programming it sells to Hulu for the streaming service, as part of the deal with Disney the two companies announced on Tuesday.

But the $10 version for cord-cutters won’t include live linear channels and it won’t include same-season shows. You’ll get a bunch of re-runs, most of which will also be available on Hulu if you already subscribe to that service. And you’ll get a few originals for the streaming service, the quality of which is to be determined.
It's almost as if people are the problem.
stessier

Re: [2020] NBC Streaming

Post by stessier »

That's fighting back by an ostrich with it's head stuck in the sand. Not compelling at all. Particularly when their shows come over the air for free.
I require a reminder as to why raining arcane destruction is not an appropriate response to all of life's indignities. - Vaarsuvius
Global Steam Wishmaslist Tracking
Running____2014: 1300.55 miles____2015: 2036.13 miles____2016: 1012.75 miles____2017: 1105.82 miles____2018: 1318.91 miles__2019: 2000.00 miles
Jeff V

Re: [2020] NBC Streaming

Post by Jeff V »

stessier wrote: Tue May 14, 2019 12:55 pm That's fighting back by an ostrich with it's head stuck in the sand. Not compelling at all. Particularly when their shows come over the air for free.
For me, "over the air free" ended when the rabbit ears died. No worries here though since at the moment, I can get NBC via the cheap streaming package on Comcrap. I also get it from Sling -- I wonder if they will be pulling out of that service?
Black Lives Matter