Beware Spectrum mobile

Everything else!

Moderators: Bakhtosh, EvilHomer3k

Drazzil

Beware Spectrum mobile

Post by Drazzil »

I have had Spectrum Mobile for the last 3 months. I signed up for their 1 gig plan unlimited text and calling because it was bundled to be insanely cheap. Phone + fast cable internet + cell phone for like 75 dollars in my area. In this three months I noticed mysterious data usage that should not be happening. I narrowed the problem to background data usage in Chrome. I turned off backround cellular data in Chrome, turned on autoconnect to wi fi. I also made absolutely sure wi fi was turned ON.

Several times I got texts for data usage that were outsized to my normal usage, I found in the settings that wi-fi was turned OFF and mobile data was turned ON. When I caught it I turned it back to the way it was. I was too occupied with things to call tech support.

Today I got 2 text reminders from spectrum I used 80% then an hour and a half later I got the message that I exceeded my cap. Background cell data for Chrome was turned ON as was mobile data.

I was starting to think that Spectrum was screwing about so I called tech support. I argued with three different people. First seemed to think I used the phone as a mobile hotspot, then argued that my PS4 connected to wi fi was to blame and the third claimed that what I was describing "was not possible" then said they would "reset my network" then hung up.

The last tech support person seemed to think my phone would need a factory reset, after trying another network reset in which said phone turned ON my mobile data after turning OFF my wi fi (after I changed my settings the opposite way).

I'm starting to think Spectrum must be messing with my network settings to screw me by the gig. Each additional gig going for $15.

Those of you thinking of going Spectrum may want to keep this in mind.
Daehawk wrote:Thats Drazzil's chair damnit.
hitbyambulance

Re: Beware Spectrum mobile

Post by hitbyambulance »

i subscribe to Freedompop for $0 a month. yeah it's only 200MB of data, but i have found ways to be reeeeallly careful about using network access (mostly, to just use it on wifi connections). it's good enough to get info on 'when is the next bus arriving?''
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

You kids and your fancy internet myspace pages, Compuserve accounts and AOL email service. Why, when I was a kid, you had to shout into a tin can, seal it up before the message could get out, then get in a Fred Flintstone type car to drive it over to the recipient's house and get a delivery receipt before handing it over.
He won. Period.
gilraen

Post by gilraen »

Drazzil wrote: Thu May 23, 2019 12:26 am Today I got 2 text reminders from spectrum I used 80% then an hour and a half later I got the message that I exceeded my cap. Background cell data for Chrome was turned ON as was mobile data.
Spectrum isn't interested in having you connect to the cellular network. They *lose* money if too many of their mobile customers end up connecting to Verizon towers more than Spectrum's wi-fi.

So I'd say the Spectrum people are absolutely right when they tell you that a) it's not possible (not from Spectrum's perspective, anyway), and b) your phone needs a reset (or it's just busted). Because if anything is doing it, it's your phone. But even then, what exactly is your Chrome downloading in the background that it used up 200MB in an hour and a half without your knowledge?
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

When I was at Cingular, we started firing customers from around Amarillo. We covered the city, but had nationwide, "no roaming," plans. But we didn't own the network out in the boonies of the Northern panhandle. Farmers would come into town, buy the phone, then go back out to their fields for the month. The costs to Cingular in paying the roaming fees to those carriers was a lot more than we made off the service. So they had two options: let us lock their account to not roam off network, or give us the phone back and we'll cancel their contract.
It's almost as if people are the problem.