Plug-in hybrid
1%
100% electric
8%

Total votes: 74

Holman

Re: What do you drive?

Post by Holman »

Smoove_B wrote: Fri Jun 07, 2019 10:32 pm Subaru wagon, baby. I'd have no problem switching to a hybrid or electric but the AWD offerings have been lackluster. I've been driving it for 16 years and it has about 190K miles on it. The body is going to give out before the engine, I think.
I think we'll be buying a Subaru, either an Outback or a Forester.

Our 17-years-trusted mechanic took a look at the Volvo's transmission and advised us to junk it: "Buy a Subaru and you'll see me once a year for the inspection sticker."
Much prefer my Nazis Nuremberged.
Jeff V

Post by Jeff V »

When I bought a new Rogue a few months ago, there was a hybrid version available. The MPG increase over the ICE was negligible (about 6) and the horsepower was less on top of that. It would take 6.6 years at current gas prices to break even over the $3,000 price differential. So we went with ICE, especially since there's a non-zero chance we might not keep this car more than 2-3 years.

We also have a 3.5 year old Versa. Ostensibly my wife's first car, she hardly ever drives it, preferring instead the abundant safety features on the Rogue. While we were planning on flipping the Rogue into a full-size SUV (or, horrors, a minivan) in the event my mother-in-law and sister-in-law both would come at the same time we could very well flip the Versa next year as my wife is actually warm to the idea of getting a fishing boat next if we can knock out a few bills before then. If we do so, we'll need a vehicle with more oomph than the Rogue to tow the boat.

And that SUV will be ICE.

The boat at least will have an electric (trolling) motor. It'll also have a big-assed gas guzzling outboard though.
Black Lives Matter
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

Jeff V wrote: Mon Jun 10, 2019 10:19 am When I bought a new Rogue a few months ago, there was a hybrid version available. The MPG increase over the ICE was negligible (about 6) and the horsepower was less on top of that. It would take 6.6 years at current gas prices to break even over the $3,000 price differential. So we went with ICE, especially since there's a non-zero chance we might not keep this car more than 2-3 years.
Our car was the same price in ICE or hybrid. The only trade off was about 35% of the trunk space and slightly less power. Though is does have a "screw the environment" button that turns off fuel conservation and is great for merging or thrilling the kids.

Oh, and the extra weight of the battery in the trunk makes winter driving with FWD a bit more adventurous than I'd like.

But in the city the hybrid shines.
" Hey OP, listen to my advice alright." -Tha General
"No scientific discovery is named after its original discoverer." -Stigler's Law of Eponymy, discovered by Robert K. Merton

MYT
wonderpug

Post by wonderpug »

I'm the vote for the plug-in hybrid, though I'm cheating a bit voting for my planned purchase later this year. We're looking to replace our aging family hauler, which is down to ~15mpg these days and having more and more minor issues crop up, and the Chrysler Pacifica hybrid minivan is seeming like our most likely purchase.

I've been really tempted by the Tesla Y, but I just can't see myself trusting the battery on camping trips or dealing with supercharger pit stops on long road trips. The Pacifica only goes 30 miles on electric, but then turns traditional hybrid with 30-32mpg (for both city and highway), which is fantastic for a big honkin' minivan. Comparable ICE minivans get around 19/28mpg.

While 30 miles electric isn't a ton, I'd be able to stay full electric for many of my daily smaller routine trips, and be at roughly half electric on my longer trips around the city. If more charging stations start showing up in my city, a charge at my errand destination would mean I'd get to stay electric for the trip home as well.

I've done some spreadsheeting and for my daily life with just at-home charging I'd end up doing about 2/3 of my monthly miles as pure electric. Level 1 charging is enough to get to full with overnight charging, so I probably won't even need to pay for a Level 2 charger.

I really wish the Pacifica had an AWD option, but other than that it seems like a pretty perfect setup for my needs. I get to have an EV for 65% of my daily driving, without losing the ability to go on longer road trips or having to worry about running out of charge.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Jeff V wrote: Mon Jun 10, 2019 10:19 am my wife is actually warm to the idea of getting a fishing boat next if we can knock out a few bills before then. If we do so, we'll need a vehicle with more oomph than the Rogue to tow the boat.

The boat at least will have an electric (trolling) motor. It'll also have a big-assed gas guzzling outboard though.
Planning a career change?
It's almost as if people are the problem.
Scuzz

Post by Scuzz »

I have a 2002 Ford F150 with 205k miles on it. I am currently looking to replace it with what I hope will be a low mileage previously owned truck. At this point it is not so much that I love trucks as we like to take trips towing a trailer and the truck is needed. It is also nice to have a truck every now and then,
Black Lives Matter
Jeff V

Post by Jeff V »

Isgrimnur wrote: Mon Jun 10, 2019 11:48 am
Jeff V wrote: Mon Jun 10, 2019 10:19 am my wife is actually warm to the idea of getting a fishing boat next if we can knock out a few bills before then. If we do so, we'll need a vehicle with more oomph than the Rogue to tow the boat.

Planning a career change?
?

The cost of owning a fishing boat roughly breaks even vs. rental at 12 uses and that doesn't take into account the owned boat has much more features (and power) than a rental. That amounts to one week camping in the Northwoods and 5 days fishing locally, not really a scheduling burden. I'm not in too much of a hurry right now, though, I want to make sure at least one of the kids likes to fish and learns to be self-sufficient doing so. They're both going to have to embrace camping as well - they'll get their first experience sleeping in a tent this summer.
Black Lives Matter
Jaymon

Post by Jaymon »

I have a Dodge Avenger, and I really like it.
last year, I moved from Bellevue area to a small town in Oregon, and transitioned from a 25 mile commute, to working from home. Its been glorious. but twice a month, I have a 200 mile trip, so I am glad to still have a car.
Bunnies like beer because its made from hops.
Redfive

Post by Redfive »

2017 F150 XLT. I've had it 18 months and it already has 43k miles on it...I drive a lot.
Battle.net: red51ve#1673
Elder Scrolls Online - @redfive
Scuzz

Post by Scuzz »

Redfive wrote: Mon Jun 10, 2019 5:58 pm 2017 F150 XLT. I've had it 18 months and it already has 43k miles on it...I drive a lot.
What size engine do you have and do you tow anything with it?
Black Lives Matter
Redfive

Post by Redfive »

Scuzz wrote: Tue Jun 11, 2019 1:51 pm
Redfive wrote: Mon Jun 10, 2019 5:58 pm 2017 F150 XLT. I've had it 18 months and it already has 43k miles on it...I drive a lot.
3.5L V6 Eco Boost and I do not tow anything.

I'm in the commercial construction industry so I use it for work (honestly I don't haul much around in the bed though) as well as for home. Gets just under 19 mpg.
Scuzz

Post by Scuzz »

Redfive wrote: Tue Jun 11, 2019 2:37 pm

I'm in the commercial construction industry so I use it for work (honestly I don't haul much around in the bed though) as well as for home. Gets just under 19 mpg.
I have read reviews of that engine which call it (or a newer version of it) the best engine for towing on the market. But it may be only available in new F150's as all the older ones I have seen seem less than impressive based on their specs. I am looking for something that would tow 7,500lbs comfortably, and it would be nice to not have to go to a V8 or a F250.
Black Lives Matter
Redfive

Post by Redfive »

Scuzz wrote: Tue Jun 11, 2019 4:39 pm
Redfive wrote: Tue Jun 11, 2019 2:37 pm

I have read reviews of that engine which call it (or a newer version of it) the best engine for towing on the market. But it may be only available in new F150's as all the older ones I have seen seem less than impressive based on their specs. I am looking for something that would tow 7,500lbs comfortably, and it would be nice to not have to go to a V8 or a F250.
Wish I could help you there. I have the full towing package but as of yet haven't used it. The engine really has some nice get up and go for a V6, though I realize that isn't the same as being good for towing.