Favorite Team Building Games?

Everything else!

Moderators: Bakhtosh, EvilHomer3k

hentzau

Favorite Team Building Games?

Post by hentzau »

I’m taking my Scout leadership off on a planning retreat this weekend, and want to do some team building stuff for the youth leaders. Anyone have any favorites they’ve come across? I’m going to do some of the old hoary ones...like 2 truths and a lie, human knot, a variant on the newly wed game...

One original one I came up with is this...I’m bringing some flip charts for planning etc. I have a commercial easel I’m bringing, but I’m going to divide them into two teams and drop a pile of staves and rope in the middle of the room and tell them to use their lashing skills to make me an easel to use for the day. Should be fun to see what they come up with.

Any other ideas?
“We can never allow Murania to become desecrated by the presence of surface people. Our lives are serene, our minds are superior, our accomplishments greater. Gene Autry must be captured!!!” - Queen Tika, The Phantom Empire
dbt1949

Re: Favorite Team Building Games?

Post by dbt1949 »

Go paint balling.
Ye Olde Farte
Double Ought Forty
aka dbt1949
hentzau

Post by hentzau »

dbt1949 wrote:Go paint balling.
Against the rules. We teach the Scouts how to safely shoot rifles and shotguns, but we are not allowed to do any entertainment that has Scouts shooting weapons, even pretend, at each other.
“We can never allow Murania to become desecrated by the presence of surface people. Our lives are serene, our minds are superior, our accomplishments greater. Gene Autry must be captured!!!” - Queen Tika, The Phantom Empire
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

Challenge them to identify and eliminate the group's alpha male (without using weapons; rules are rules). Don't be him.
em2nought

Post by em2nought »

Kraken wrote: Tue Jun 11, 2019 12:51 am Challenge them to identify and eliminate the group's alpha male (without using weapons; rules are rules). Don't be him.
Maybe that's what happened to the Mayan Empire. :mrgreen:
"Four more years!" "Pause." LMAO
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

Two Rooms and a Boom? You can borrow my copy. :mrgreen:
He won. Period.
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

There was something we did at JLT camp with pre-cut planks and trying to figure out how to cross a river. I wish I could remember the details, but it's been 30 years and I can only remember the bigger picture of trying to figure out how to arrange the planks so we could all cross. I'm sure it has a Boy Scout name, but I've seen it referenced as "lava river" or "alligator river" online. They're similar, but they're using string, presumably because they're being done in an office and not out in the woods where you have lots of free wood that can be cut to length. :D
Maybe next year, maybe no go
Pyperkub

Post by Pyperkub »

Not applicable, but I used to have Friday night L4D coop sessions in the office.
Black Lives definitely Matter Lorini!

Also: There are three ways to not tell the truth: lies, damned lies, and statistics.
Jaymon

Post by Jaymon »

team building for a larger group

everybody play rock paper scissors. (two out of three is best) the winner moves on. the loser follows the winner around and chants the winners name. as the winners compete against each other, the loser and all followers join up behind the new winner and chant the new name.

thus it goes until an epic showdown between the last two winners, everybody else is lined up behind one or the other of them, chanting their winners name.

----

split into groups of 3 or 4, each group must find something they have in common, that no other group has in common.
Bunnies like beer because its made from hops.
em2nought

Post by em2nought »

It would be kind of neat to try a da Vinci bridge https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QKdQV2q5PRk Kind of take teamwork.
"Four more years!" "Pause." LMAO
hentzau

Post by hentzau »

Jaymon wrote: Tue Jun 11, 2019 10:03 am team building for a larger group

everybody play rock paper scissors. (two out of three is best) the winner moves on. the loser follows the winner around and chants the winners name. as the winners compete against each other, the loser and all followers join up behind the new winner and chant the new name.

thus it goes until an epic showdown between the last two winners, everybody else is lined up behind one or the other of them, chanting their winners name.

----

split into groups of 3 or 4, each group must find something they have in common, that no other group has in common.
That sounds like a fun game to run at the troop level. I'll file that one away. But the other one, that's in line with what I am looking for. That sounds like a fun one.

i guess I should have said I'm going to have 6 youth leaders on this trip...so these have to be useable with a small group. We're going to be in a large cabin, but will have access to the great outdoors for things as well.
hentzau

Post by hentzau »

em2nought wrote: Tue Jun 11, 2019 10:14 am It would be kind of neat to try a da Vinci bridge https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QKdQV2q5PRk Kind of take teamwork.
That's fun. A lot of lumber though. Going to file that one away as well.
coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

Jaymon wrote: Tue Jun 11, 2019 10:03 am team building for a larger group

If you are going to do this, you need the more active variant... Ninja-Cowboy-Bear
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
hentzau

Post by hentzau »

I seem to remember a race of sorts involving Rock Paper Scissors, where you jump from Hula-hoop to hula hoop until you meet someone from the other team, then you have to do a RPS game, the winner gets to keep jumping forward, the loser has to run back and tag the next player to start advancing.
Anonymous Bosch

Post by Anonymous Bosch »

I remember enjoying the 'All Adrift' or 'Lifeboat' game back in the day, and the survival theme should certainly appeal to Boy Scouts.

It basically revolves around a hypothetical scenario, in which an accident has stranded the group in a body of water and they must evacuate to a lifeboat with minutes to decide as a group which ten items to grab for survival. First, individuals write down the items that they would grab from 1 - 10 in the order of most important. Then as a team, they must decide and agree on which ten are the top priorities and fill in the worksheet. The group is given about thirty minutes or so to complete the entire activity and come to a consensus. There's also a scoring sheet that's used to rate their decisions. The premise being that you can often make smarter decisions as a team with combined knowledge than as individuals.

Anyway, here's a printable PDF, courtesy of Edinburgh's School of Informatics, that contains the scenario and worksheets and such for playing the game (though you could certainly craft your own version with a more American flavour if you prefer).
"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." — P. J. O'Rourke
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

I believe the traditional exercise is to identify a barely tolerated minority and blame them for the rest of the group's ills.
Black Lives Matter.
Jaymann

Post by Jaymann »

I like the one where you fall backwards and trust your friends to catch you.
Jaymann
]==(:::::::::::::>
Black Lives Matter
The Meal

Post by The Meal »

"Better to talk to people than communicate via tweet." — Elontra