Jon Stewart went to Congress

Everything else!

Moderators: Bakhtosh, EvilHomer3k

noxiousdog

Post by noxiousdog »

And this is what he had to say regarding the medical issues of 9/11 first responders.

It's a speech for the ages and such a testimony to politics today.
Black Lives Matter

"To wield Grond, the mighty hammer of the Federal Government, is to be intoxicated with power beyond what you and I can reckon (though I figure we can ball park it pretty good with computers and maths). Need to tunnel through a mountain? Grond. Kill a mighty ogre? Grond. Hangnail? Grond. Spider? Grond (actually, that's a legit use, moreso than the rest)." - Peacedog
GreenGoo

Re: Jon Stewart went to Congress

Post by GreenGoo »

Thanks for posting it.
msteelers

Post by msteelers »

I saw that earlier. Powerful stuff. Well worth the 6+ minutes.
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

Yeah, thanks for posting it. I wish the people that needed to see and hear it were actually there, but it deserves to be shared with everyone.
Maybe next year, maybe no go
Kelric

Post by Kelric »

He did a great job, and it is a shame we can't just fund this for the entirety of their lifetimes.
Pyperkub

Post by Pyperkub »

Kelric wrote:He did a great job, and it is a shame we can't just fund this for the entirety of their lifetimes.
Don't kid yourself, we can and we should.
Black Lives definitely Matter Lorini!

Also: There are three ways to not tell the truth: lies, damned lies, and statistics.
stimpy

Post by stimpy »

Didn't he do this a couple of years ago?
He/Him/His/Porcupine
Zarathud

Post by Zarathud »

You would expect a President from New York City would make funding the 9/11 fund a priority.
"If the facts don't fit the theory, change the facts." - Albert Einstein
"I don't stand by anything." - Trump
“Bad men need nothing more to compass their ends, than that good men should look on and do nothing.” - John Stuart Mill, Inaugural Address Delivered to the University of St Andrews, 2/1/1867
“It is the impractical things in this tumultuous hell-scape of a world that matter most. A book, a name, chicken soup. They help us remember that, even in our darkest hour, life is still to be savored.” - Poe, Altered Carbon
AWS260

Post by AWS260 »

stimpy wrote: Wed Jun 12, 2019 8:34 am Didn't he do this a couple of years ago?
Yes.
Jeff V

Post by Jeff V »

Zarathud wrote: Wed Jun 12, 2019 8:58 am You would expect a President from New York City would make funding the 9/11 fund a priority.
How does doing anything for a blue state help him? His calculus starts and ends there.
Black Lives Matter
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

Pyperkub wrote: Wed Jun 12, 2019 12:42 am
Kelric wrote:He did a great job, and it is a shame we can't just fund this for the entirety of their lifetimes.
Don't kid yourself, we can and we should.
We spent (and are still spending) all the money on several wars and subsequent occupations. Because in America blowing shit up is the best medicine.
" Hey OP, listen to my advice alright." -Tha General
"No scientific discovery is named after its original discoverer." -Stigler's Law of Eponymy, discovered by Robert K. Merton

MYT
Pyperkub

Post by Pyperkub »

Not all the money. There was plenty of room for a bad tax cut.

It's the will to pay for it (or really anything) which is missing. Mostly from the GOP, who wants billions for a wall which will be an ineffective (at best) waste of money.

Also: There are three ways to not tell the truth: lies, damned lies, and statistics.
Alefroth

Post by Alefroth »

Zarathud wrote: Wed Jun 12, 2019 8:58 am You would expect a President from New York City would make funding the 9/11 fund a priority.
Stewart 2020?
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

Pyperkub wrote: Wed Jun 12, 2019 1:18 pm Not all the money. There was plenty of room for a bad tax cut.

It's the will to pay for it (or really anything) which is missing. Mostly from the GOP, who wants billions for a wall which will be an ineffective (at best) waste of money.
Don't forget that the wall may prevent the next 9/11. They found prayer rugs at the border!! Prayer rugs!!! That totally don't turn out to be t-shirts.

The tax cut was a boon for the working class. That totally didn't turn out instead to be a huge windfall for corporations and their shareholders.
" Hey OP, listen to my advice alright." -Tha General
"No scientific discovery is named after its original discoverer." -Stigler's Law of Eponymy, discovered by Robert K. Merton

MYT
Pyperkub

Post by Pyperkub »

LawBeefaroni wrote:
Pyperkub wrote: Wed Jun 12, 2019 1:18 pm Not all the money. There was plenty of room for a bad tax cut.

Don't forget that the wall may prevent the next 9/11. They found prayer rugs at the border!! Prayer rugs!!! That totally don't turn out to be t-shirts.

The tax cut was a boon for the working class. That totally didn't turn out instead to be a huge windfall for corporations and their shareholders.
And totally isn't shrinking annually.

LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

Alefroth wrote: Wed Jun 12, 2019 1:47 pm
Stewart 2020?
While that's a joke, there is a lot not to like about Stewart's politics, in that he's great at lobbing de constructive grenades. With a good staff, he might be best but I'm no fan of his retreat in to "I'm just an entertainer" afterward. Still I'd take a long hard positive look at any ruling body that had him on staff, including if he made a run himself. He demands things being through through and making sense and living up to obligations and following through. He is the 180 of our government even since before it became what it is today.
Trent Steel

Post by Trent Steel »

18-1™ & 2-0
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

The Daily Beast
After comedian Jon Stewart raked him over the coals for dragging his feet (once again) on extending the 9/11 Victim Compensation Fund, Senate Majority Leader Mitch McConnell complained Monday morning that Stewart was just looking for some way to be offended.

And the senator added that he didn’t get why he was “all bent out of shape.”

Following his emotional House testimony on behalf of 9/11 first responders in which he excoriated Congress for seemingly not caring about the plight of the victims, Stewart appeared on Fox News Sunday and shamed McConnell for not prioritizing the bill.

“I want to make it clear that this has never been dealt with compassionately by Senator McConnell,” the former Daily Show host said. “He has always held out until the very last minute and only then, under intense lobbying and public shaming has he even deigned to move on it.”

Appearing Monday on Fox & Friends, McConnell was asked to react to Stewart’s comments. The Kentucky lawmaker essentially shrugged and said this is just how Congress works.

“Well, many things in Congress happen at the last minute,” he responded. “We’ve never failed to address this issue and we will address it again. I don’t know why he is all bent out of shape but we will take care of the 9/11 Victims Compensation Fund.”
It's almost as if people are the problem.
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

Isgrimnur wrote: Mon Jun 17, 2019 4:19 pm After comedian Jon Stewart raked him over the coals for dragging his feet (once again) on extending the 9/11 Victim Compensation Fund, Senate Majority Leader Mitch McConnell complained Monday morning that Stewart was just looking for some way to be offended.
Enlarge Image

There will absolutely be a holiday declared.
Maybe next year, maybe no go
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

Off deep tn to R&P land, I can't imagine Stewart would name Yerdle and from a position of being bent out of shape

https://www.nj.com/politics/2016/09/hou ... _they.html

"America remembers not only the horror of those attacks, but the heroism in our response," McConnell said. "We saw fire fighters, police officers and first responders rushing into burning buildings as most rushed out."

Six years ago, though, when Congress was asked to help those firefighters and other first responders, both Ryan and McCarthy, then members of the Republican minority, voted no. So did Rep. Mike Pence (R-Ind.), now the GOP vice-presidential nominee. In the Senate, McConnell voted to block action on the bill.
false

Jon Stewart, pushed Congress to provide health benefits to police officers and firefighters injured after responding to the Sept. 11, 2001, terrorist attacks.

They were among the 157 Republicans who voted against the Zadroga Act to provide health care and compensation to police officers, firefighters and other first responders who were injured at the 9/11 attack sites such as the World Trade Center.

https://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news/9- ... ll-n473071
But aides familiar with the negotiations say that Sen. McConnell asked that the highway bill also lift the U.S. ban on oil exports, and when that was not agreed to he stopped the Zadroga Act from being included in the five-year highway legislation.
But Senator McConnell’s office denies the Majority Leader is blocking anything, saying “There’s still no final bill to object to,” and claiming that Sen. Durbin is “misinformed.”

“The questions of duration and pay-fors are still being worked out,” McConnell spokesman Don Stewart told NBC News on Tuesday, “But members on both sides of the aisle and both sides of the building are working on wrapping that up.”
AWS260

Post by AWS260 »

Luis Alvarez, one of the 9/11 responders who testified alongside Stewart last month, died of cancer yesterday.
Before the House committee Mr. Alvarez said: “I will not stand by and watch as my friends with cancer from 9/11 like me are valued less than anyone else because of when they get sick. You made me come here the day before my 69th round of chemo. I’m going to make sure that you never forget to take care of the 9/11 responders.”

The next day, though, he was too disoriented to receive treatment. Tests determined that his liver was failing. Within a week, he was admitted to a hospice in Rockville Centre, on Long Island.