Job Conundrum

Everything else!

Moderators: Bakhtosh, EvilHomer3k

Kelric

Job Conundrum

Post by Kelric »

So here is the situation: I'm in a call center and have met my minimum year of servitude before being able to apply elsewhere. I've been stuck here with an 18% drop in salary from what I used to make and am in a position I was in ten years ago, just with a different company. I've interviewed for three positions elsewhere in the company in the last week and am getting movement:
  • Job One - Same area of the company, but over in the processing stuff side rather than on the phones. After interviewing last Friday with my potential future manager and two other people, I also interviewed with the VP (as did everyone else who applied). I was then asked back for a job shadow opportunity, as was at least one other person I know about. This job is the one I want second out of the three I applied for. I feel like everything went really went well and I know my job shadow was for an hour whereas the other person I know who was asked back spent about fifteen minutes there. I asked more questions with my job shadow person, we got along better, etc. Over 30 people applied for it and I don't know how many have made it to the second tier as I did.

Job Two - Technically the same area of the company, but this is a whole new product that has been created from scratch over the last few years. The entire department is five people and very much feels like a start up within the larger corporation. This product is in robo-advising for investments which, in my opinion, has a bright future in the company. I've met with all five people in the area and I made a point to say that while I'm interested in other areas I've applied / interviewed / shadowed in, this one EXCITES me. Everything also seemed to go well but I know interviews for this extend into next week. I know a large number of people applied but only know of five who have interviewed (which doesn't mean much as I am not as plugged in to the grape vine here as I am for job one). This is the one I want the most.

Job Three - An entirely different area of the company but still a position I have the skills for, though it has no real appeal other than it isn't being in a call center. The future opportunities to move around and acquire new skills in that area are extensive and I could look to move into almost any sort of gig that interests me down the road. They offered me the position on Wednesday (after interviewing Friday) and I stalled HR by letting them know I had two follow up interviews with job 2 and that job shadow with job 1 today (true facts), and needed more time to determine the best fit. They only offered me a $3k raise, but I would obviously try to negotiate for more.
Neither of the first two jobs will probably exceed the $3k raise from job 3, but if they do it wouldn't be by much. They all offer work from home and other benefits are the same. I know that the department from job 1 is going to be hiring massively over the summer but there will be a cap on the number of people leaving my department at that point. Basically if I don't get out now I run the risk of being stuck in my crappy job for the next six months or more. I also don't want to accept job 3 only to find out I got either of job 1 or 2. I told management for all three positions that I was interviewing elsewhere at the same time since everything has basically occured at once.

I will be sending HR a list of questions about job 3 tomorrow to try and continue to stall them, and will flat out ask for more time to make my decision. This is incredibly awkward since HR can most likely tell I don't really want this job and the hiring manager may be figuring that out, but it is still a better job than the one I have now and I don't want to deal with the crap I deal with now any longer.

Thoughts?
Jaymann

Re: Job Conundrum

Post by Jaymann »

The future opportunities to move around and acquire new skills in that area are extensive...
I would strongly consider job 3. A bird in the hand and all that. Maybe if the other 2 want you, you would have some salary leverage. But get out of the call center!
Jaymann
]==(:::::::::::::>
Black Lives Matter
Z-Corn

Post by Z-Corn »

So Job 2 is spamming people via telephone? How could you live with yourself?
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Z-Corn wrote: Fri Jun 14, 2019 8:04 am So Job 2 is spamming people via telephone? How could you live with yourself?
Robo-advisor
Robo-advisors or robo-advisers are a class of financial adviser that provide financial advice or Investment management online with moderate to minimal human intervention.[1] They provide digital financial advice based on mathematical rules or algorithms. These algorithms are executed by software and thus financial advice do not require a human advisor. The software utilizes its algorithms to automatically allocate, manage and optimize clients' assets.
It's almost as if people are the problem.
naednek

Post by naednek »

Take job 3 and if if job 1 or 2 later gets back to you with an offer, you can decide then. don't let the opportunity be wasted.
hepcat - "I agree with Naednek"
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Sounds like if he takes any job, he'll be locked out of transferring again for another year.
It's almost as if people are the problem.
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

I know $3 grand is $3 grand but forget it for the moment. If you held out for the job you really want and didn't get it, how awful would it be to be stuck in your current gig for another 6-12 months? That should be the main factor.

If you could live with it, albeit reluctantly, hold out for the job you want. If you couldn't, don't let #3 get away.

Have you told HR directly that you want #2 but will take #3 if it's not offered? They may be happy to work with you. Or is there concern that they may use they against you? Depends on the company and industry I guess.
" Hey OP, listen to my advice alright." -Tha General
"No scientific discovery is named after its original discoverer." -Stigler's Law of Eponymy, discovered by Robert K. Merton

MYT
Z-Corn

Post by Z-Corn »

Isgrimnur wrote: Fri Jun 14, 2019 9:54 am
Z-Corn wrote: Fri Jun 14, 2019 8:04 am So Job 2 is spamming people via telephone? How could you live with yourself?
Robo-advisor
Robo-advisors or robo-advisers are a class of financial adviser that provide financial advice or Investment management online with moderate to minimal human intervention.[1] They provide digital financial advice based on mathematical rules or algorithms. These algorithms are executed by software and thus financial advice do not require a human advisor. The software utilizes its algorithms to automatically allocate, manage and optimize clients' assets.
Well I owe Kelric an apology. I read that before my first cup of coffee and saw advisor as "advertizer". :oops:
Jeff V

Post by Jeff V »

Z-Corn wrote: Fri Jun 14, 2019 3:37 pm
Isgrimnur wrote: Fri Jun 14, 2019 9:54 am
Robo-advisor
Well I owe Kelric an apology. I read that before my first cup of coffee and saw advisor as "advertizer". :oops:
I just assumed it was a robo-caller that would try to sell suckers on some "ground floor opportunity investing it a hot new market."
Black Lives Matter
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

It's things like, "Your CD matures in a week, you should roll it over to a new term" and things like that. It's not cold call advice, as far as I understand it.
" Hey OP, listen to my advice alright." -Tha General
"No scientific discovery is named after its original discoverer." -Stigler's Law of Eponymy, discovered by Robert K. Merton

MYT
Kelric

Post by Kelric »

Yeah, I'd be stuck for a year in the department I move to but can take internal promotions. The robo-advisor is definitely waiting for customers to come to us or have financial advisors send their customers to us; all I would be doing initially is ensuring the paperwork was in order and everyone knew how to use the website. The role would transition to overseeing operational support for the entire product as the department continues to expand (provided I don't fuck it up), which sets me up nicely down the road.

I guess the question comes down to would I be more upset at taking job 3 only to have job 2 come to me afterward, or would I rather wait out job 3 and find something else anywhere in the next few months. :grund: