Big scare with our good boy this weekend

Everything else!

Moderators: Bakhtosh, EvilHomer3k

Xmann

Big scare with our good boy this weekend

Post by Xmann »

Early Saturday morning I take Dimebag Darrell out for his morning business and walk. We have a routine and all goes well, except Saturday morning. He's more anxious that normal and is panting, which is unusual. I figure he might have a sour stomach and don't think much of it.

Until he squats and has massive diarrhea that is blood. He is also throwing up mucus type vomit. Being a nurse, I panic thinking about what I would do if this was a patient of mine. I quickly pick up Dime and run into the house yelling for my wife to get ready we have to go to the emergency vet. Thank goodness we have a 24 hour vet hospital 2 miles from our home. It's 6am on a Saturday and my vet is closed.

Vet is waiting on us and quickly takes Dime for an emergency x-ray. We tell the vet to do whatever x-ray or diagnostic testing he needs to do and we'll pay. At this time, Dime is panting and shaking and my wife is in tears and I'm trying the best I can to hold it together.

Vet comes back in about 30 minutes (this seemed like an eternity) and says the preliminary read on the x-ray is insignificant. They have an IV in Dime and pumping him with fluids. His diagnosis is
Hemorrhagic Gastroenteritis. Basically an iratated GI system but bleeding. He assures us that while that amount of blood in a small dog is frightening, bringing him in immediately and getting started on fluids probably averted a tragedy.

This was Saturday morning and throughout the day he got fluids, antibiotics, and nausea medications. Yesterday morning we declined going for a visit because we thought him seeing us and then leaving without him would scare him. We got Dime when we lived in Hawaii. He had been caught in a cat trap and he was a scared little guy. It took probably a year before a ceiling fan didn't scare him. Because of his past abuse, we didn't know what to do and decided to not see him until we knew he was coming home.

Vet calls at 7am this morning and tells us Dime ate a few bites of chicken and has kept it down and he can go home today! Wife is in route as I speak.

gf.me/u/zhnmhs
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Re: Big scare with our good boy this weekend

Post by LawBeefaroni »

That's some seriously scary shit (literally and figuratively). Glad to hear he's on the mend and on the way home.
" Hey OP, listen to my advice alright." -Tha General
"No scientific discovery is named after its original discoverer." -Stigler's Law of Eponymy, discovered by Robert K. Merton

MYT
Scoop20906

Post by Scoop20906 »

Whew! Good news
Scoop. Makeup and hair are fabulous. - Qantaga

Xbox Gamertag: Scoop20906
Steam: Scoop20906
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Phew that is scary. Glad he seems on the mend.
--------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.
I guess Ray Butts has ate his last pancake.
http://steamcommunity.com/id/daehawk
"Has high IQ. Refuses to apply it"
hitbyambulance

Post by hitbyambulance »

so is this a chronic condition? likely to happen again?
Jaymon

Post by Jaymon »

goodness that is scary.
Bunnies like beer because its made from hops.
Xmann

Post by Xmann »

hitbyambulance wrote:so is this a chronic condition? likely to happen again?
Not chronic, but he's more susceptible in the future.
gf.me/u/zhnmhs
em2nought

Post by em2nought »

I don't think I could handle this. I think I might love dogs too much to own one? Weird? :think:
Technically, he shouldn't be here.
EvilHomer3k
Forum Moderator

Post by EvilHomer3k »

Always a relief when things work out for the best. Scary until you know though. Glad your puppers is okay.
That sound of the spoon scraping over the can ribbing as you corral the last ravioli or two is the signal that a great treat is coming. It's the washboard solo in God's own
bluegrass band of comfort food. - LawBeefaroni
Xmann

Post by Xmann »

em2nought wrote:I don't think I could handle this. I think I might love dogs too much to own one? Weird? :think:
The joy my pup has provided me and the family is immeasurable. But these scary events nearly rips your heart out, that's for sure
gf.me/u/zhnmhs
soulbringer

Post by soulbringer »

Sorry to hear that. My old Beagle/Basset mix at 11 had the same thing 2 years ago. Wife called me at work at 6am work up to blood all over the bed/floor from mouth and butt. Ran to emergency vet, got fluids and a blood transfusion. Found out it was caused by his arthritis medication. Our personal vet filed a claim with the drug manufacturer and they reimbursed 75% of the Emergency vet costs. I hope you never have to go through that again I know exactly how terrible it looks like.
Drazzil

Post by Drazzil »

Speaking as someone whose lost four cats to mostly natural causes in two and a half years and is going to have to put one down before I travel due to terrible health issues "owning animals is fun till it isin't"
Daehawk wrote:Thats Drazzil's chair damnit.