RIP Ross Perot, 89

Everything else!

Moderators: Bakhtosh, EvilHomer3k

Isgrimnur

RIP Ross Perot, 89

Post by Isgrimnur »

WaPo
H. Ross Perot, an eccentric Dallas billionaire whose two independent runs for president in the 1990s tapped into voters’ frustration with the major political parties and foreshadowed the rise of the tea party two decades later, died July 9 at his home in Dallas. He was 89.

The family announced the death in a statement but did not provide a cause.

The son of a politically connected cotton broker, Mr. Perot followed a long tradition of buccaneering Texas entrepreneurs. Following an unhappy stint in the peacetime Navy of the 1950s, he became a top salesman at IBM and was such an exhaustive peddler of computer hardware that he once met an annual sales quota in less than three weeks.

Mr. Perot went into business for himself in 1962 and made a fortune twice over, starting two software companies that each sold for billions of dollars. He received national attention for showering his largesse on efforts to aid or free U.S. hostages in conflict zones from Vietnam to Lebanon.

Most memorably, Mr. Perot claimed to have deployed a commando team to rescue two of his employees from an Iranian prison around the time of the revolution in 1979. According to participants and U.S. officials, the two, who had been jailed during the shah’s regime, actually were freed when revolutionaries opened the capital’s prisons, but the episode nevertheless played a sizable role in mythologizing Mr. Perot. It formed the basis of Ken Follett’s 1983 novel “On Wings of Eagles” and a subsequent TV movie.
Last edited by Isgrimnur on Tue Jul 09, 2019 8:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
It's almost as if people are the problem.
dbt1949

Re: RIP Ross Perrot, 89

Post by dbt1949 »

I voted for him the first time. Instead we got Clinton.
Ye Olde Farte
Double Ought Forty
aka dbt1949
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

I did, too. Until the current political emergency, I used to always vote third-party or independent.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

dbt1949 wrote: Tue Jul 09, 2019 12:46 pm I voted for him the first time. Instead we got Clinton.
Im glad we did. Clinton is the best President in my lifetime. Him and Kennedy would be the only presidents worth a damn. I was for Clinton from the primary even. Still have my buttons around here some place.

RIP Ross. He did bring needed diversity. 2 parties suck. Around that same time we had a tiny little chihuahua puppy that would howl and sound like he was saying Ross Perrooooooot. Ross Perroooooooooot....well it sounded like Ross Peroooooooe :)
--------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.
I guess Ray Butts has ate his last pancake.
http://steamcommunity.com/id/daehawk
"Has high IQ. Refuses to apply it"
Zarathud

Post by Zarathud »

Can I get a minute?

Comedy gold.

He was Grade-A crazy but at least we stopped to listen to ideas rather than personality.

My dad voted for him thinking that I would vote for Clinton. I voted for him because I was a fiscal conservative who grew up hearing “government debt is bad” and I hoped to get a PolSci PhD at the time.
"If the facts don't fit the theory, change the facts." - Albert Einstein
"I don't stand by anything." - Trump
“Bad men need nothing more to compass their ends, than that good men should look on and do nothing.” - John Stuart Mill, Inaugural Address Delivered to the University of St Andrews, 2/1/1867
“It is the impractical things in this tumultuous hell-scape of a world that matter most. A book, a name, chicken soup. They help us remember that, even in our darkest hour, life is still to be savored.” - Poe, Altered Carbon
em2nought

Post by em2nought »

I voted for him.

Too bad Perot wasn't a bit taller, he could have won.

Kind of ironic that he's going at the same time as MAD magazine because I always thought there was a similarity in the looks department.

Technically, he shouldn't be here.
Jeff V

Post by Jeff V »

dbt1949 wrote: Tue Jul 09, 2019 12:46 pm I voted for him the first time. Instead we got Clinton.
Perot went off his nut during his second run and took himself out of the race. His first run I thought he was an interesting candidate, but Bush the First had my support. I was 100% behind Clinton second time around.
Black Lives Matter
em2nought

Re: RIP Ross Perot, 89

Post by em2nought »

Admiral Stockdale didn't come across very well unfortunately.
https://ktrh.iheart.com/featured/michae ... ican-hero/
Technically, he shouldn't be here.
dbt1949

Re: RIP Ross Perot, 89

Post by dbt1949 »

I don't think I knew who his VP was.
Ye Olde Farte
Double Ought Forty
aka dbt1949